What A Sad, Boring Place

jvptravels

Mouseketeer
I remember a time when the Disney Rumors and News board was very active and even fun. Those days are long gone. This board has become a bit of a graveyard for threads and topics that people aren't interested in anymore. What happened to this place and all the people who used to participate and make it fun?

I still read.. but I rarely participate anymore.. and yes you're right.. it just ceased to be fun.

Maybe there is a lack of true imagineers for us to talk about.

One problem is that this forum is read a lot less than say the Theme Park Stradegies forum, so may people will simply post there to get more exposure.

Another problem is that so often I've seen people get attacked for having an opinion on a rumor. The attackers will say something like "don't complain about something that isn't official yet", or "why don't we all just wait until it is official before we complain", etc. Getting attacked for having an opinion get old after a while.

The problem is that with all the people on this site, we find out about almost any new project about 3 years before it opens. That gives us 3 years to beat it to death. The last real surprise I remember was the announcement of Avatar land, and most people on here seem to hate it. I'm all for any addition or improvement.

If Disney would do more things, we would have something to discuss other than thi fact that they do not do a lot of new things.

mbrittb00 said:
One problem is that this forum is read a lot less than say the Theme Park Stradegies forum, so may people will simply post there to get more exposure.

Another problem is that so often I've seen people get attacked for having an opinion on a rumor. The attackers will say something like "don't complain about something that isn't official yet", or "why don't we all just wait until it is official before we complain", etc. Getting attacked for having an opinion get old after a while.

I absolutely agree. I posted something months back that I have heard from relatives who live in TN about disney buying land near Dollywood and I was ripped apart. It made it so that I didn't really care to post again (until now).

KateB said:
I absolutely agree. I posted something months back that I have heard from relatives who live in TN about disney buying land near Dollywood and I was ripped apart. It made it so that I didn't really care to post again (until now).

It's called "Rumors and News" for a reason. Obviously yours was a rumor. I've seen the kind of threads you're talking about. Some people think rumors must be fact-based. If that was the case, they wouldn't be rumors.

I miss the days when people like YoHo, All Aboard, Exdsvet, Dancing Bear and others kept it real with their vast knowledge of all things Disney. They weren't just fans. They knew what they were talking about. And they didn't need to google everything to get the info they shared.

I miss the days when people like YoHo, All Aboard, Exdsvet, Dancing Bear and others kept it real with their vast knowledge of all things Disney. They weren't just fans. They knew what they were talking about. And they didn't need to google everything to get the info they shared.

I'll bet they'd be glad to be remembered.
But don't forget the Baron. ;)

I agree I just got a new account as I lost my user id. As I posted something about what I heard from a relative soon as I posted that rumor I got of response that was insulting. There are some very respectful posters still on the rumor boards such as figment, skier pete, locked out of logic that r respectful. Even as of later you see them less and less. My thoughts lets have fun with this board and ignore the vermin.

Thanks!!!

It's nice to be remembered. And that was like ten years ago. You have a good memory. But you forgot Walt's Frozen Head and the one and only Disney-guru: Another Voice!!

Ah! The good old days!!! There was a time when it was only me and Yoho on this board. No other members at all. Conversations took weeks. And then the pixie dust crowd took over and... Anyway, thanks again!!

As a relative new comer to the DIS but not Disney my thoughts are that I would appreciate hearing from all of you "old timers". I appreciate the discussion, speculation and anticipation about all things Disney rather than the bickering over trivial issues.

Thanks!!!

It's nice to be remembered. And that was like ten years ago. You have a good memory. But you forgot Walt's Frozen Head and the one and only Disney-guru: Another Voice!!

Ah! The good old days!!! There was a time when it was only me and Yoho on this board. No other members at all. Conversations took weeks. And then the pixie dust crowd took over and... Anyway, thanks again!!

You're welcome, and I do miss AV, too. And Mike and Sara, well, you get the picture...

mbrittb00 said:

I couldn't agree more. I only visit this bit of the boards every week or so to see if there's anything new.

Just now, I have scrolled down the board and there is 2 different threads where the OP has been beaten down for their opinion (if that's the correct term/phrase to use) That's why people don't bother.

I remember a time when the Disney Rumors and News board was very active and even fun. Those days are long gone. This board has become a bit of a graveyard for threads and topics that people aren't interested in anymore. What happened to this place and all the people who used to participate and make it fun?

The problem is that with all the people on this site, we find out about almost any new project about 3 years before it opens. That gives us 3 years to beat it to death. The last real surprise I remember was the announcement of Avatar land, and most people on here seem to hate it. I'm all for any addition or improvement.

If Disney would do more things, we would have something to discuss other than thi fact that they do not do a lot of new things.

Once a project is announced discussion is generally done in another board. A new hotel is discussed in the resort board. There isn't a big lag between a "credible" rumor and announced project. The days of putting up a construction wall and people not knowing what's going up until the grand opening (OK I"m exaggerating a little) is ancient history. People now use the internet to check on construction permits.

There are at least 2 "rumors" which come up with some regularity and which have no basis in fact. Disney buying up land in XXX and monorail expansion are the two biggies. People shouldn't "rip you apart" but those rumors have been "beaten to death". With some regularity a poster starts a thread saying a bus driver or CM saw secret plans for monorail expansion. A friend knows a realtor who knows someone who sold Disney a huge plot of land near XXXX.

Of course there is the exception that makes the rule. Disney did buy (lease?) land in National Harbor for a hotel (maybe DVC). They decided against it and got rid of the land.

You want a question for discussion. Assume light rail makes sense for some resorts. Not a $$$ monorail but rail with some elevated sections over roadways. Now assume the numbers only support it for resorts which have a lot of guests near a central stop. In other words now matter how you crunch the numbers it only makes sense for POP/AoA and possibly the Allstars. Is there any way Disney could possibly put light rail in place for value resorts but skip the moderate and resorts like WL and AKL? Probably not.

edited to add. My memory is the old days were filled with discussions regarding the "bad show" when CM start to vacuum the streets before guests leave the park.

I think people are being too sensative about being "ripped apart". This is a news/rumors board. If you post a rumor people are either going to comment on (A) the likelyhood of the rumor being true or (B) what they think of the rumor.

Either way, no one should take what is being said personally, you are just stating a rumor or a theory you might have, no matter what it is its probably going to be picked apart. Don't take it personally, it's the internet.

Personally, I think this section "Rumors and News" has ALWAYS been a little thin on content. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of rumors that are floating around about the parks, and those that are often pop up for years and years. (i.e. Haven't we been talking about a Monster's Inc coaster in DHS for at least SIX years.) Plus as PP said, a lot of NEWS items get posted on the regular Theme Parks forum.

Oh well, I still come here a couple times a week hoping for something exciting to discuss.

Yo!

Had to figure out which email this account was attached to.

This place used to be even meaner I think. Or at least, we were strident.

And it was rarely the rumors themselves that got this place hopping. It was the discussions of the why. The philosophy. What Disney parks should be vs. what Eisner and Iger turned them into.

As for why I don't post.

3 reasons.
1: AV left pretty much all of internet Disneydom and he actually knew what he was talking about.

2: I moved away from SoCal and so DL wasn't as easy to get to.

3: WDW has basically gone down hill from a management perspective, but DL has been...OK. We could sit here and discuss whether Carsland is the right move or any number of other changes, but the decay of DLR as themeparks stopped. Lasseter and TDA have done a good job. As good a job as they can.

We can discuss the employee parking and how they're going to start charging for the Christmas stuff and how their AP program is Schizoid.
And any other Lutz rumors we'd care to discuss, but in the end, DL is doing pretty decent and WDW isn't and neither shows any indication of really being a Walt place anymore.

I think without AV who relished educating people about the way the world worked before and during Eisner, there isn't as strong an ability anymore to have those discussions.

We can try, but I wasn't there, I can just relate what people who were there tell me.

I think people are being too sensative about being "ripped apart". This is a news/rumors board. If you post a rumor people are either going to comment on (A) the likelyhood of the rumor being true or (B) what they think of the rumor.

Either way, no one should take what is being said personally, you are just stating a rumor or a theory you might have, no matter what it is its probably going to be picked apart. Don't take it personally, it's the internet.

Personally, I think this section "Rumors and News" has ALWAYS been a little thin on content. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of rumors that are floating around about the parks, and those that are often pop up for years and years. (i.e. Haven't we been talking about a Monster's Inc coaster in DHS for at least SIX years.) Plus as PP said, a lot of NEWS items get posted on the regular Theme Parks forum.

Oh well, I still come here a couple times a week hoping for something exciting to discuss.

A good debate is always healthy, but I have seen many cases where there have been comments along the lines of "that's just stupid" or "that's the dummest thing I've ever herd". When the "discussion" devloves to that point, then it has become a personal attack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter