We've made the decision (pg. 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but I couldn't imagine doing this. Especially with the 1 DD being 3. My DS was 2 1/2 first time he went and is now 8 and has been numerous times. DD was 17 months the first time. She is 3 now and is looking forward to her 3rd trip in June, and a 7 night DCL in the fall.

::yes::

I could never ever do this. My little one is 2 and has been twice already and my little guy is 13months and has been once! we're going in May and December of this year and January of 2008. THEY LOVE IT!! DD cannot wait to go again! whenever a commerical comes on she cheers and says ME AGAIN!!! ME AGAIN!! we just took them to Disney on Ice on Thursday and They were thrilled. I could never leave behind children and take the rest.

We've already considered taking my parents, but my sister's 2 kids are also staying with them, while they're on a cruise.

As I see it, if this trip is awesome I'll gladly take the girls, when I feel they're ready. As a mom, I know that my decision is right. Its a tough one to make, but in the long run it'll be better. I know they'll have fun with grandma and papa, and I'm not too concerned about them missing out.

I'm not sure why you asked this question, when from your last post you had already made up your mind and had decided. Another when the answers weren't what I wanted....

I do hope you have your answers ready for the 3 yr old when they ask (and only for the rest of their life-so just a short time) Why they didn't get to go, and how you plan on telling them as your other 2 are excited and getting ready and leaving for Disney. And coming home and going on and on about the good time.How will your parents deal with the tears and disappointment for a week? If you must leave the baby OK they really don't know ,although I couldn't do it but I don't understand a pre-schooler, and could never look her in the face and tell her I didn't want to take her.

OP, we had a similiar situation when we were planning our trip for this past September. My Mom volunteered several times to keep our youngest while we went on our 4 night trip. He was 2 years 10 months at the time. We had originally planned to take him, but my Mom thought he would be way too young. We also had 4 year old twins at the time, and I must admit her offer was briefly tempting--we thought it would be easier with just the oldest two.

However, after considering it for a day or two we decided to bring him. I'm so glad we did!! He had a blast, and now we have all the family memories. Disney is very accomodating for families with young children; I was surprised how easy it was with three little ones. I must admit my Mom was a bit shocked when we got back home and told her how well the trip went , how much fun we had, etc. I think she was expecting it to be so much work with the kids that we'd never want to go back again;-).

You know your family best. But I think the big issue you may have with your kids is that your middle two are so close in age--aren't they only a year or so apart? I have a feeling the 3 year old may feel bad that the 4 year old got to go, and she didn't. If anything, I'd take the oldest 3 and leave the one year old, who at least is young enough not to realize he/she isn't going.

Kelly

I'm not sure why you asked this question, when from your last post you had already made up your mind and had decided. Another when the answers weren't what I wanted....

I do hope you have your answers ready for the 3 yr old when they ask (and only for the rest of their life-so just a short time) Why they didn't get to go, and how you plan on telling them as your other 2 are excited and getting ready and leaving for Disney. And coming home and going on and on about the good time.How will your parents deal with the tears and disappointment for a week? If you must leave the baby OK they really don't know ,although I couldn't do it but I don't understand a pre-schooler, and could never look her in the face and tell her I didn't want to take her.

No need to be so judgmental. The OP needs to do what is right for HER family. That may be different than what is right for your family.

We've already considered taking my parents, but my sister's 2 kids are also staying with them, while they're on a cruise.

As I see it, if this trip is awesome I'll gladly take the girls, when I feel they're ready. As a mom, I know that my decision is right. Its a tough one to make, but in the long run it'll be better. I know they'll have fun with grandma and papa, and I'm not too concerned about them missing out.

OP -You're title read "I really hope I am not making a mistake".............. so you were soliciting advice and we all gave it too you, we mostly agree that your girls shouldn't miss out. But of course it is your family and your decision, but why bother asking the question then? :confused3

I too am in the "why did you post?" club. It sounded like you were asking for opinions, but now you are not liking the ones you are getting. I hope you are being honest with yourself, and that you will not end up miserable, thinking about what your children are missing. You trip would be all the more special with you and all of your children seeing everything for the first time, together.

We would never leave any of the kids home. We do not agree with leaving one or some home just so we can have a "better" trip. What's better than having your family together having a great time? JMHO. Just some food for thought though- if you really thought that you were making the right decision you wouldn't be asking anyone what they thought about it. Just something to think about. princess:

You have to do what is right for your family. Personally, I couldn't leave my children at home and enjoy Disney, but this is coming from someone who very very very rarely leaves our kids home with sitters. Did I say rarely? :) We try to enjoy as much as we can as a family, because kids are only kids once.

Seriously, I really think it's up to the individual family, but I would hate to see you get down there and realize you made a mistake. I would really think it over, because from experience, I know your oldest children would really have a wonderful time. I firmly believe that ages 3,4, and 5 are the innocent ages where you will benefit as a parent by seeing the joy in their eyes from seeing Mickey in person the first time....or riding on Dumbo for the first time...and the list goes on. My husband and I had more fun watching our children's faces light up seeing the characters, castle, etc...than riding the rides.

Good luck with your decision.

Sorry but I also have to ask, why did you even post? :confused3

And I agree with the poster who asked that I hope you have answers ready for your 3 yo when the other 2 older ones are getting excited and talking about the trip and the spillover for when you and they return.

Your youngest won't know but the 3 yo definetly will. Sorry but I would feel guilty . I have a 3 yo DD and could never imagine leaving her home.

There are plenty of venues where I can see only taking older children, but WDW isn't one of them. All ages will really enjoy it!

Unless one is at a particularly tough stage (I didn't take DS anywhere from 18 months till about 21 months !!!) I'd take them all.

Just curious why would you have to take your parents? Lots of people do Disney with four kids (two parents). Even if you felt the youngest one wasn't ready for Disney I really don't understand how you can leave the 3 year old? How will you explain that to her?

I think maybe you think it will be harder than it is. Also if you weren't questioning whether or not you made a mistake I don't think you would have posted. The answers may not have been what you were looking for but they come from the heart of a lot of posters who have been through taking our younger kids to Disney. Hope you reconsider.

I went this summer with my 5 kids ages 12, 11,8, and twin 1 and 1/2 year olds and my step-sister and husband took their 5 children ages 12, 8, 6, 2 and 1/2, and 1 and 1/2 year old. We couldn't even think about leaving the youngest ones at home. We survived without any problems and I know my twins remember some of it just by the way their eyes light up when they look at the pictures from Disney.

Both of our girls went for the first time when they were just two, and it was a magical time. I couldn't imagine leaving either of my kids behind while I took the other to WDW, unless one was an infant (and I would still bring everyone)! A 3 year-old girl would have such a magical time at WDW with all the characters and princesses, and our girls both had a great time at two years old, as well as all their subsequent trips! Many of DD4's friends in preschool have made their first trip to WDW this year, at the age of three. It is definitely not too young.

OP. I hope you don't regret your decision when you come home with your two oldest from such a wonderful trip and your younger ones have missed out on the memories. I would regret it if I made that choice . . .

Op--Is it that you do not think your youngest 2 would enjoy disney? I can assure you that they would have a great time! My youngest niece went for the first time at 2 months, and again at 1 year. She may not remember the trip, but she can watch the video and see herself chair-dancing during breakfast at the Castle, and know she was having a great time.:goodvibes

Also, the little ones can go on many of the rides, any that do not have a height restriction are ok. Dumbo, Small World, Peter Pan, these are all great rides for them.

I hope you re-consider. You may think 3 is too young, but I can guarantee that she will remember being left behind. There is not that big a difference between 3 and 4, and I can only imagine how hurt she would be that she couldn't go.:sad1: It may not be as easy with all of the children, but it would be worth the effort.

::yes:: your title says you hope you are not making a mistake....but if your mind is so made up, then why the post?? :confused:

Personally, I couldn't leave my children at home and enjoy Disney, but this is coming from someone who very very very rarely leaves our kids home with sitters. Did I say rarely? We try to enjoy as much as we can as a family, because kids are only kids once.

We are the same! our kids have never been left with sitters and as i stated before, i would never ever ever think of leaving them behind for a trip to DISNEY WORLD, it's meant to be enjoyed as a family!

I have to also agree with others. 3 is not to young to enjoy Disney. At that age they truly believe in the magic of Disney. We took DS for her first trip at the age of 15 months. Had a blast. Even though we took an afternoon break, DS enjoyed having time at the pool with mom or dad all to himself.
Just a note: We took a short weekend trip to San Antonio once and left DS at home and tried to have a good time. Did not work. We had to leave Sea World after only a couple of hours because we both felt so guilty.

This is the way I look at it, take your trip with your boys! Nothing is always fair and even in life and as the girls get older you may be doing more stuff with them (like dance cheering etc) When you have several children somewhere along the line they each need some special time with their parents! Last year I went to WDW in Jan. for a week with 5 coworkers. No children no husbands! I really needed that (sure I missed my kids but I had fun shopping for them) Then in Oct. my 2nd oldest DS (he's 12) Had a martial arts festival to compete in at Wide World of sports. The decision to go was made late by his coach. I knew I couldn't pull enough money together to take everyone so DS and I went alone! It was really nice to be able to focus on one kid and believe it or not the other kids understood and do not hold it against us! And because they were so understanding I am planning a week long trip to WDW in Oct. again during the martial arts festival! Do not feel guilty about wanting time alone with your boys they will love being the center of your attention especially since you don't have to cater to the younger girls! Have fun!!! :goodvibes

To the OP:

Congrats on moving your trip up, and have a great time with the boys! I bet they will have an awesome time with you and your DH. How nice that you have the option of letting the little ones spend time with their grandparents.

TikiG

I'd take them all. My son is three and we just went last November. I was so, so worried about him. He's hell on wheels pretty much. LOL! I should not have worried one bit. He did awesome. Stayed in his strolled when he needed to, waited in lines, etc. I was so happily surprised! There are two parents, right? So taking four kiddos should be okay I would think. We're going back this November. My husband might not be able to go. Even so, I'll take all three kids alone! LOL! That's how awesome Disney is! Go!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter