We're off to see the wizards! We leave tomorrow!!

That's really good to know! :thumbsup2 I had wondered about that briefly but kind of forgot while I was running all those other scenarios. :laughing:

Thank you! :goodvibes

So, I'm still on the fence with the transportation issue. It's not something that has to be decided right now so I guess I'm just going to see how the budget looks when everything else is taken care of. Though if you know me at all you'll know that I don't like ambiguity so it's really difficult for me not to make that decision and just be done with it- even if that meant changing my mind later. :rolleyes1 At any rate, I'd still appreciate feedback and opinions if you have them...

Which brings me to a couple of questions I have concerning our TS meals. We have two TS meals included with our free dining plan and I've spent some time pouring over menus as well as reading the entire dining thread on the UO board. :surfweb:

Originally I'd really wanted to eat at Mythos based mainly upon the theming but the menu just didn't appeal to me. Well, it appealed to me but my kids aren't adventurous eaters and I just didn't think there was enough for them to have choices on the menu- I don't want them to be forced to get a burger or pizza when they will get those at our CS meals! So, for our meal at IOA I settled on Confisco's Grill.

I already made the ressie for this meal on open table. I know UO usually doesn't require ADRs this far out but no one really knows how this new dining plan will affect that, especially since there aren't a ton of choices included in the plan. Better safe than sorry I think. Plus, I'm just a planner. It's in my nature to do these things months in advance. The fact that I've waited this long for ADRs is a great exercise in restraint (and has nothing to do with the fact that open table wouldn't let me make them before this week, ahem). :rolleyes:

So, we'll be having lunch at Confisco's on our last day as we're leaving the park. We have a 2 PM ressie and I want to be on our way no later than 4:15. Anyone with experience think we'll need more time for our meal? I thought since it won't be the height of lunch hour 2 hours should be plenty of time (with some to spare, hopefully). I could push it back to 1:30 I suppose but I really wanted it as late as possible. We'll be getting back to St. Louis really late after a layover in Atlanta and I wanted us to have a nice, big meal right before we travel. I also figured we might have some leftovers to take with us for the plane. If we finish early we'll just shop a bit around the Port of Entry and City Walk. And I'd be happy with being on the road any time around 4:00, 4:15 is just the absolute latest I'm comfortable with. Thoughts, opinions? Leave it at 2:00 or push back to 1:30?

Our other TS meal will be on our day at the Studios. After some feedback on the dining thread I settled on Finnegan's. :thumbsup2 Great reviews and the menu looks great with plenty of variety for even my picky eaters. I haven't made this ADR yet though because I'm undecided about the time. Lunch could be a good opportunity to cool down but it could also interfere with our touring. My kids are not thrill ride seekers and a lot of our time on our day at the Studios is going to be spent catching the shows. HOWEVER, I also don't want to wait too late and be eating during the Cinematic Spectacular. (Will they still be doing that in September??) I'm pretty flexible with what time we'll eat, we can always use our snack credits and I'll probably also throw some granola bars in bag if we really need a pick-me-up. Any suggestions for the best time to eat lunch at the Studios and still maximize our show experience? If it helps I'll include a list of things we want to see/do on that day:

Must Do/See:
  • The Simpsons
  • MIB
  • Transformers
  • Beetlejuice
  • T2 3D- Is this still open? DS is a huge fan and it's still on the UO website but I thought I'd read it was ending??
  • Despicable Me
  • Cinematic Spectacular

Really want to do/see:
  • Horror Make-up Show
  • ET
  • Shrek 4D

If we have time:
  • Disaster (Should this be a higher priority? I wasn't sure if it was a must do or not- can't remember all of the reviews I've read for all the rides and shows at this point, lol.)
  • Twister
  • Blues Brothers (Though my mom may really want to see this since she's a huge SNL fan, especially from this era.)
  • Lucy (This could change in priority or be left off completely. My kids haven't seen any of the old shows yet but will before we go. DD loves this type of humor so I think she may end up moving this up in priority.)

So, with that list when would those with experience plan to eat a TS meal? Also, even though this is really a post about dining I might as well ask since I posted the list... is that doable on September 24 (a Tuesday)? We're offsite so no Express Pass.

I'm sorry about it being your first day off work yesterday. :hug:
I vote car rental. Cabs take too long and I just like being able to go where I want, when I want. Just don't let your mum talk while you drive. ;)
I've never been to Universal so I can't help you out with your dining questions but I love your ride plans! The only thing I want to do is have lunch at the three broomsticks. What is the Cinematic Spectacular?

I'm sorry about it being your first day off work yesterday. :hug:
I vote car rental. Cabs take too long and I just like being able to go where I want, when I want. Just don't let your mum talk while you drive. ;)
I've never been to Universal so I can't help you out with your dining questions but I love your ride plans! The only thing I want to do is have lunch at the three broomsticks. What is the Cinematic Spectacular?

Thanks, Alysa! :flower3:

I'm definitely leaning toward car rental. I have a number in mind that is the absolute top of our budget and as long as it doesn't put us over that (even by a few dollars, I'm holding my ground! :scared: ) then we'll do a car. The cab/bus combo is my second choice- though I went back and read the wrap up of my TR from 2010 and in it I said I'd NEVER do Orlando without a car again so maybe I should just look at something else to trim... :drive:

My mom will be okay, I just have to tell her she's stressing me out. She gets pouty and put out when I say those kinds of things but she'll get over it. :p

We'll definitely be eating at 3 Broomsticks! Not only is it a must just because we :lovestruc HP but also because I've heard so many great things about the food. It's not on the DP so we'll have pay OOP there for lunch or dinner on our first day. :thumbsup2

The Cinematic Spectacular is UO answer to Wishes/MSEP (or maybe Illuminations is a better example but I haven't actually seen Illuminations so I'm not sure). That's a poor description and I know some darksiders don't like it when you compare things to WDW but it's the easiest way for me to understand it. I'm sure that will change when I've been there and done it myself but for now that's how I think of it. :ducking:

Anyway, it's fireworks, musical score, narration by Morgan Freeman, all while clips from classic Universal films play on waterfall screens over the lagoon. I just don't want to miss it- we aren't really fireworks people but combined with the nostalgic movies I think it sounds amazing! pixiedust:

Looking at the park hours for today and the schedule for the CS I think it will be 15 minutes before park closing, which is 7 PM on our US days. So, CS will begin at 6:45. I need to do my research and see if we need to see how far in advance we need to find spots and then I can decide when to make our TS ressie. :surfweb:

The fireworks show sound awesome - I'll have to add it to my list. I love Morgan Freeman!!

despicable me don't miss it!
the minionions is a must to see........

blues brothers show is done outdoors near Finnegans.
it will take up about 20 minutes of your time.
longer if you join in with them on the congo dance in that area.
if you are there to see/listen to it, do so.
if you are not in that area at the time, not a big deal.
if you like street shows, then you would like this.
especially if you are fond of the Blues Brother movies.

confisco grille is good.
i eat there solo and never have a problem with time.

they are good on not scheduling ressies on top of each other.

i was seated 10 minutes prior to my afternoon ressie last year.

service is quick.
wait staff will give you a menu soon after you are seated.
drinks will be brought immediately as you are looking through the menu.

food will be brought out together for your group without a prolong wait.

i really don't think it will take you 2 hours there.
it's not a large menu so whatever you order can be done without long waits.

pizza is the only thing that could take more time.
their food is not made in advance.

Mythos has its followers.
i have eaten there many times but now only hit it for appetizers.

nothing wrong with the food, just that i have run through their menu and waiting for it to change.

i'm not a fan of couscous and i see that a lot on the menu.

many first time park goers do Mythos.
the ambiance inside the place, and the view of the water is amazing.

Finnegans has a fuller menu that will please most in your group.
it is a lively place and not quiet like Mythos is.

refils on soda, water are prompt.
many times you don't have to request it, they just show up and do it for you.

i eat about 3 times each visit at finnegans.
sometimes 5 times depending on hhn.....

go to the section that has the benches around the lagoon over by Mel's food place.

most peeps start sitting on the benches around 7 if the cinema show is at 8.

you will a full view of 2 screens in that area.

and you will be able to see the full effect of the fireworks that comes from the middle of both sides of the lagoon, and the fireworks from the buildings on your left side.

i like the show.
the old movies are in parts with the narration of Morgan.

if you are staking out the benches, don't be surprised if peeps will come and stand in front of those benches and lean against the rail at 7:55.........
you would need to stand for the show then more than likely.

yea, that happened to me last year and they had their umbrellas open which really blocked my view.
the show doesn't stop due to light rain.

it could be about 4 feet of open space between the railings to the benches so i wasn't taken back when it happened.

i saw the show 4 nights and will see it again in the fall.

you can see the films at most places around the lagoon.
in the new york central park section, many stand there.
i don't care for that area as you can't see the total effect of the fireworks.
trees are kind of tall there.

if you like clips of old movie, love Morgan, then you will enjoy this show.

:love: :love: macraven!!! :love:

Thank you SO MUCH for all of that info!! Seriously, you are SO helpful! My plans are really coming together and it's largely thanks to you, both directly and indirectly as I scour old threads where you've patiently answered the questions of other newbies. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! :worship:

:blush:

thank you.

i know what it is like to venture to a new type of vacation with kids.
i like to share what i have been through so you can avoid the mistakes a newbie can make.

vacations are expensive and we all want to get the most out of our trips.

it only takes my time to write out my experiences and answer questions.

i know some peeps will say you only need 30 minutes before finding a place around the lagoon for the cinematic spectacular show.

well, if you only have one more person with you, that works fine.
2 peeps can find a place to squeeze in about anywhere around the lagoon.
you have 5 in your group and you want to have the best place you all can fit in.

believe me, i found the section near Mels, the bench area at the end of the lagoon the better view.

if you are up front, you can see the fire go across the water.
you can see the waterfall over the film at times and the nice effect it makes.

the area of Lombards that is closed off to all except the peeps that bought the dinner/show ticket, do have a very nice view there too.
that package is not worth it. there are other places with an awesome view too.
you are allowed to the patio anytime after 7.
the ones that go at 7 take the tables/chairs on the patio that has the good view.
come later and you'll be standing on that patio/landing section unless staff brings out more chairs.

the show is on certain nights.
it was blocked out on some nights i was there last october. (hhn)
i only got to see it 4 times, 2 of those times without the rain.

2 of the nights were packed, the 2 nights it rained, small crowd.

if the park crowd is light the day you are there, i doubt the evening show will be crowded.

i don't know how your plans are for leaving the park that night after the show.
if you rent a car, it will take time for you to get out of the garage.
if you do the taxi, not a long wait.
if you do the bus to itrolley route, depends on the timing.

in september, tuesday are not a high crowd day.
it could be less than moderate.

And thank you again! I've added notes about locations/times for Cinematic Spectacular to my plans. :goodvibes

I have been in hyper planning mode lately! :surfweb:

I have lots of things I really want to share with you guys about touring plans, movies I want to watch before we go, things I'm looking forward to most, etc. But I'm trying to pace myself so I have plenty of things to keep talking about for the next 86 days! :thumbsup2

So, today let's talk about our dining plans. We'll have three days in the parks at UO, two at IOA and one at US. Our FD plan includes 2 days of dining which gives us each 2 TS, 2 CS, 2 snack and 2 beverage credits. Of course this means we'll be paying OOP for at least one meal but that's okay because one of our "musts" isn't on the dining plan so we'd have been paying OOP for that anyway. :rolleyes:

We're also going to have a day at Legoland but it's strictly CS and after looking at menus it's pretty standard theme park fare and there's no outstanding theming we must see at the restaurants. So, it will probably be completely about convenience there. When we get hungry, we'll eat. :confused3

We'll have a fridge and microwave in our room as well as a coffee maker so breakfast each day will be done before we leave (or most likely on the way to the parks, lol). This not only saves us $$ but also time in the parks- I don't want to spend the early hours when the parks are least crowded eating! :laughing:

As for snacks and drinks, we'll just stop when we get hungry. Nothing is a must for snacks and butterbeer is the only must have drink so we'll just look for the DP symbol when we need to. I'll also probably bring a few things in my bag so we have options beyond theme park food. Sometimes I just really want a piece of fruit but don't want to pay $4 for it. :scared1:

So, our dining plans:

Day 1: IOA

We want to be as flexible as possible on our first day so we can just move from place to place with no specific timetable so no TS meals this day.

We'll, of course, be starting our day at WWoHP and will get some butterbeer at some point. We'll probably get a couple of refillable mugs for the kids because they make a great souvenir plus we get cheap refills throughout the day. It's still going to be hot and I know we're going to want more than the 2 beverage credits we each have for our 3 days in the parks. And I know we'll want more butterbeer! :drinking:

I've looked at the DP list, menus, reviews and even asked about air conditioning at various CS restaurants and have our options narrowed down but decided not to make specific choices ahead of time (remember, we're trying to be flexible!). Instead I've made a list of places we might want to eat in various places around the park to include with our touring plans. This way when we get hungry I can just look at my list and see what's close by that we'll enjoy. (Yes, this is me being laid back.) :rolleyes1

My list for our lunch options at IOA includes:
  • Thunder Falls Terrace
  • Comic Strip Cafe
  • Cafe 4
  • Captain America's (with a special note to avoid unless we're starving at this point, lol)
  • Circus McGurkus
  • Fire Eater's Grill

We'll be having that OOP dinner at 3 Broomsticks since we'll head back to WWoHP in the evening. I don't think we'll be hungry when we're ready to move on in the morning, especially if we make early entry, so it makes more sense to plan for dinner. Of course this list makes us completely flexible so if we end up spending way more time in the WWoHP in the morning and want to do lunch there and dinner at one of these places it won't be a problem. :thumbsup2

Day 2: US
  • Louie's
  • Richter's

Short list, huh. Must be something about studio theme parks since the CS options at DHS are also kind of sparse. :confused3

I originally had Monster Cafe on my list, it is included on the DP list I printed out but I can't find it on the map- I think I read it was closing and a new CS option was taking it's place. I'm sure if that happens it will change on the DP as well. So, I'll just have to wait for reviews of the new place to see if I want to add it to the list.

Those are definitely lunch options and we'll just eat when we get hungry, finding the place closest to us at the time. For dinner we have a ressie at Finnegan's for 5:00 PM. I've debated A LOT about this time and it's not too late to make changes if we want to... Park closing is at 7:00 so I'm thinking Cinematic Spectacular will be at 6:45 based on current scheduling. I could push our time back but I don't really want to. 5:00 is pretty early for us to eat- at home we NEVER eat before 7:00 so anything earlier that 5:00 is going to be super early! :eek: Plus, I think we'll have time to take a break mid-day after seeing/doing everything we want and an earlier dinner will make this more difficult. Finishing up at 2:00 to return by 5:00 seems doable but returning by 4:30 seems like it will be more rushed than relaxing. :confused3

Day 3: IOA

We have a late lunch ressie at Confisco's at 2:00 PM. We'll probably be out of CS credits at this point- though my mom and DD are both light eaters and may end up sharing a few times. Plus if we do pizza is it the same as WDW where a large pizza is only two CS credits? If so, we may have extra from that as well. We also may or may not have snack credits to use up at this point. We always do at WDW BUT Disney's DP includes dessert with CS meals so we never need to use all of our snack credits. Not sure if this will be the case at UO.

At any rate, whether OOP, using left over dining credits or eating before we go to the park we'll do a bigger breakfast on this day so we'll just need a snack or two in the parks to tide us over until our late lunch. :thumbsup2

That's it, our dining in a (very large) nutshell. Thoughts and opinions are welcome! :goodvibes

you really want to do Richters???

Boulangerie would be a better choice if you want freshly made sandwiches and not burgers/fries.

you really want to do Richters???

Boulangerie would be a better choice if you want freshly made sandwiches and not burgers/fries.

My DS doesn't like sandwiches except for burgers. It limits us a bit. :rolleyes:

:cool1: :hyper: :woohoo: :yay: 85 DAYS!!!!!! :cool1: :hyper: :woohoo: :yay:

Our trip is getting SO close! I feel like I have so much I want to do... I'm really almost finished with the NEED to do list but there are still a couple of those as well. Most of it isn't majorly difficult or time consuming, just lots of little things. And since a lot of them don't necessarily warrant their own post I thought I'd do a combo update today. :thumbsup2

Still Need To Do:
The only thing we still MUST do is decide on transportation and save up the rest of the money we'll need for food and souvenirs. I'm leaning heavily toward renting a car and as long as I can save enough this is what we'll do. We're almost there. We did have an unexpected bill of nearly $200 crop up yesterday so not as close as we were. :headache: Oh well, we're still on track and as long as too many unexpected things like this don't happen we'll be okay. :worried:

Still Want To Do:

Kya (but not Jace) has decided that she'd like an autograph book so I've been scouring the DISign boards for UO character cards. For our trip to WDW I simply uploaded the designs to Snapfish and ordered 4x6 matte prints of the cards then picked up a $1 brag book style photo album. This worked great since we were able to simply add the pics of the kids with characters to the album next to the autograph. :cutie:

Kya also wants some special shirts so I'll also have to figure these out. I may look at the DISign boards for images to iron on (which is what we did for Disney) or I may just look online for good deals. I'll have to see which is cheaper since I'm out of transfer paper. Jace says he doesn't want shirts but I think if I find a cool HP one he'll wear it. :surfweb:

I'm also working on a scavenger hunt for our second day at WWoHP. I've found some great ideas to include here.

Another thing that is dependent on our budget but that I'd really like to do is Photo Connect. If you're unfamiliar with PC there's lots of good info in this thread. It's similar to Photo Pass but much cheaper (unless you're doing a PP share). The $10 off deal is over but I've liked them on Facebook and am hopeful that an even better deal will come along between now and September. Hopefully we'll be able to swing it.

In the Works:
There are a lot of movie and TV references at UO that my kids aren't very familiar with. To remedy this we're watching some of them before we go. Just this morning we watched some "I Love Lucy" which Kya loved. :love:

I've added lots of other movies to our Netflix queues including:

(DVD)
  • More Lucy- like I said, she loved it!
  • Poseidon
  • Men In Black (the kids have seen 3 but never the original)
  • Transformers (I know, terrible movie but we'll watch it anyway.)
  • X-Men
  • The Blues Brothers
  • Jurassic Park
  • E.T.
  • Twister (another stinker that we'll just laugh at) ;)
  • Back to the Future
  • Popeye

(Streaming)
  • The Lorax
  • Terminator 2
  • The Bride of Frankenstein
  • The 7 Adventures of Sinbad
  • Transformers (the cartoon series)
  • The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (This is a live action/animated combo; if it doesn't include Dudley Do-Right we'll have to watch the cartoons too.)

When we went to WDW we did really elaborate movie days with Karen. We've even done a couple of these since deciding to head to the darkside (Beetlejuice, Spongebob, and Despicable Me, links in the TOC). It was tons of fun but my kids have kind of outgrown it (or maybe we did so many it became less special). :sad2: They do still enjoy special food so we'll do some meals/treats to go along with some of these movies (Reese's Pieces for E.T., Chicago dogs for Blues Brothers, etc.). popcorn::

I think as long as we don't overdo it they'll still enjoy the more elaborate parties so I have a more elaborate one planned for a 50 days countdown party; anyone have any guesses what it might be? Try to guess EXACTLY which movie it will be... (Hint: It's not on the lists above!)

That's all I can think of at this point... but I'm sure I'll think of more later. :rolleyes1

Oooh, great update. We are going in 6 weeks (SIX WEEKS!) and I've still got lots to do but not much momentum--started a new job a few weeks ago and not adjusted to the extra hours yet. Trying to work out a shirt for everyone too. Great movie list too, may steal it. Canadian Netflix sucks in comparison, though, but I can try...

Oooh, great update. We are going in 6 weeks (SIX WEEKS!) and I've still got lots to do but not much momentum--started a new job a few weeks ago and not adjusted to the extra hours yet. Trying to work out a shirt for everyone too. Great movie list too, may steal it. Canadian Netflix sucks in comparison, though, but I can try...

Thanks, JoAnne! Your trip is so close!! :cool1:

I know all about trying to readjust schedules! I had barely gotten used to my new work schedule when our program shut down. I completely abandoned trip planning and the DIS while I was adjusting but now that I find myself with all this free time I'm in hyperplanning mode. It's good though because I hope to be back at work soon and then I won't have time again- so I'll just try to get it all done now! :hyper: :surfweb: :faint:

And, one of the pitfalls of always DISing on my phone is that I miss the links in people's siggys! I'm off to catch up on your PTR right now. :goodvibes

Oh, man I :love: a good deal! Our transportation question just answered itself... I got an email from Hotwire that the price for Orlando car rentals had dropped during our trip and it was a GREAT deal! :cool1:

Such a good deal that it's actually CHEAPER than using the buses and only $20 more than the trolley/cab option! And this is assuming we NEVER opted to take a cab other than to/from the airport. And that is highly doubtful. Even one cab ride when we didn't want to walk to the trolley stop would mean the trolley and car options are about the same. That's a no brainer folks! :thumbsup2

I am so relieved that I don't have to worry about this anymore and that we're going to have the convenience and ease of having our own car. I am normally a public transportation kind of gal when on vacation but at theme parks it's different. When minutes matter for beating the crowds and you have to fight even more crowds at the end of the night for seats when your feet already hurt I'd rather have a car. :drive:

That's good news. I have been putting serious time into the car rental thing this week. We always get a car, even onsite, and this time in a villa it's not a choice anyway. I managed to get our rental down $50 this weekend, but it's still more than I want to pay ($390 for 2 wks in a standard size). Glad you've got that big question settled for your trip.

Yikes! :faint:

We got a compact which will be a tight fit but we aren't going to be going far. And we only need it for five days so we only had to pay $100.

I hope you find a good deal. You might sign up for emails from different sites to alert you to deals. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter