• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're Home!

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
Even though we had some car problems (as DisneyLisa posted) we had a great time. I hated having to leave that lovely warm weather and come back to winter.

On the way down we had to spend a few hours in Knoxville, Saturday morning, getting a wheel bearing replaced and while in Orlando, on Tuesday, the car alarm kept going off so we had to leave the car at the dealer (they arranged a rental for us) while they traced the problem ~ turned out to be a faulty hood latch.

We really enjoyed our stay at Pop Century, as busy as it was. I think Monday morning was the busiest, we had just arrived (spent the first 2 nights at the Comfort Inn LBV) and probably so had a lot of other people, all ready to have breakfast. From then on everyone seemed to find their own schedules and I didn't find it nearly so busy.

I loved the walk down by the lake. We stayed in the 70's, a short walk to the main building, facing the fooz ball court and it was quite quiet. I liked the layout of the food court, once I got used to the difference from the All Stars and we usually sat in the Classic Concoctions bar area, where it was a little less busy. The bus service was great and even though there were a lot of people waiting at either end of the routes, I never waited for more than a few minutes for a bus.

The parks were busy, especially MK on that first Monday and I found it very tiring, but I found that as I got my winter weary body into shape with all the walking, I was better able to cope with the crowds.

Dh and I went to Donald's Breakfastosaurus before AK opened one morning and I really enjoyed it. This was my first Character meal. The food was pretty good and I got some great pictures with Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pluto. We were the first table! Went to BOMA for dinner, Afternoon Tea at the GF, RFC for dinner at DTD, Beaches and Cream for a strawberry sundae, Kona Café for Tonga Toast, Tambu Lounge at the Poly for a drink and dessert but the rest of the time ate in the food court at POP. Also stopped in at Main Street Bakery for a treat, EPCOT Fountain Bakery for a Café Latté and Creme Brullé and of course, the manditory Dole Whip and Mickey Bars!

A couple of evenings DH and I went over to the GF, sat in the lobby to listen to the pianist and the jazz band before heading down to the dock to watch Wishes from there. He goes off golfing during the day and only spent the one day at AK then parked-hopped over to see Fantasmic with me, so it was nice to be able to go over to see Wishes this way. I ended up buying the pianist's CD, he is excellent!

I don't think I have ever seen so many Ontario licence plates on the I 75 and in Orlando, as on this trip! We ran into a few traffic tie ups on the way down, including at the Detroit border, but surprisingly, had no problems on the drive home and breezed through the border.

Don't know if I'll get around to doing a full trip report but I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Welcome back Julie! What an exciting trip!! I think you missed the last of the snow :p I'm hoping to try out a couple of the places you ate at on our next trip... Breakfastosaurus sounds fun! Think you'll be up for any more character meals? :)

Aside from your car trouble... I was just curious as to how long the drive took. Was it just you and DH driving? Did you do it without any overnight stops?

Glad everything worked out OK!

I guess we'll have to try Donald's on one of our trips now!

See you on the 27th!

Scratch
pirate:

Sounds like you had a great time. We have also eaten at Donald's and enjoyed it. A got variety of food and lots of characters.

Welcome home Julie...what's the afternoon tea at the GF (ie. types of people there, men/women, younger/middle aged/older; how long was it; the itinerary, do you have to make a PS, cost)? DW loved the GF, so the afternoon tea might be something new and fun for her to try.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the PC. We thought it was a good resort for the money.

Hi Julie nice to hear about your trip.

When you went to g.f. to see wishes did you drive your car there?

Also where do you get the dole whips. We are going down mid april, first time in about 4 yrs.

Are the beds comfortable at pop century,

Was going to stay at pop century but the new rates came out so going to port orleans instead I think, unless we change in order to do some more restaurant meals.

I read on another post that people could not figure out why the parks were so busy last week, I guess with the canada at par discount and the dollar being better alot of Ontario folks decided to go for the March break.

Thanks,

Deb.

Welcome back Julie. :wave: Now it's time to plan your next trip. ;)

Welcome home Julie!:wave2: Sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks for the Welcome back! :)

Vicky, it took us about 2 twelve hour days, including stops, from Woodstock. Half way is in Knoxville, where we spend the night at the Sleep Inn at Exit 108. DH usually does all the driving and did this trip since we took his car, which is a standard, and although I know how to drive it, I don't like it. This is the first time we have ever had any car problems and we have driven down many times. It was "taxing" to say the least. I got spoiled when I flew down last October and I think we will seriously think about flying down on our next trip. Either that, or go down for longer when we have more time to recover from the drive. Getting too old, I guess! ;)

Janet, we thought Donald's was fun and the CM made a special point of getting DH in the pictures with me and the Characters. I think he really enjoyed the day with me at AK and then Fantasmic at night, which he thought was terrific, even though he had to give up a day of golf! :eek:

Karen, someone told me that there was also "made to order" omelettes, but as far as we could see, it was just the buffet. We were in the first group of the morning and found the food to be hot and fresh and had no complaints. I'd like to try Chef Mickey's next.

Dave, the Afternoon Tea is held in the Garden View Lounge on the lower level of the GF's lobby, from 2 to 6 pm. Everything is served on "Old Country Rose" china with linen napkins. My favourite is the scones with Devonshire cream and strawberry preserves and Garden Bouquet tea and the Swan pasteries. I sometimes get the "Buckingham Palace" which I did this time. The tea sandwiches are very dainty. I really enjoy the experience, although can be pricey and usually book a PS, either before the trip or when I arrive, as it is popular. I have seen all types of people there, families as well, and I'm sure your wife would enjoy it. The ladies who serve you are very nice! Here is the menu from Deb's site: Afternoon Tea

Deb, we took the bus and resort monorail over to the GF as DH likes to use Disney transportation. The Dole Whips are at a little booth called "Aloha Isle", not far from the entrance bridge into Adventureland, on the right hand side. My favourite is the pineapple/vanilla swirl. I found the beds quite comfy at Pop, of course I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow after walking so much every day. This was our third March Break trip and I found the parks busier than I remembered. I think that most of Ontario went down to Disney last week. We encountered quite a traffic jam when we left Orlando on Saturday morning, as all the Ontarians headed for home. I think you are right about the deals and our better dollar plus I'm sure everyone was glad to get away from this cold winter.

Thanks Kelly ~ I got your magnet. Got one for myself too! ;)

Susan, I was already thinking about "next time" on the drive down! LOL

Welcome home, Julie :) Glad to hear you had a great trip, and that your car troubles didn't spoil your fun. I had my first dole whip last summer. Had never even heard of them until these boards. We were walking along past Adventureland in MK and NancyK suggested that we stop for one ... this will now become a "must" on future trips :p

No "made to order omelettes" ??? Oh my goodness, that's my favourite part of that breakfast :( Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

Looking forward to your pictures ... see you on Sat.

Mary Liz

Mary Liz, Dole Whips are a "must" on my trips, since I discovered them, too. Maybe I missed the "made to order" omelettes or they are no longer available??? It just seemed to be the long buffet for the hot foods from what I could see. There was another smaller buffet counter with breads etc from what I could see, but I just got a good sized plate from the hot foods as I didn't want to be too full for the park, afterwards. I'm not even sure what desserts there were, but DH did come back with a plate of fruit.

Welcome back. Seems like you had a great time.

Love those dole whips. We are debating a trip in May to stay at Pop Century -- couldn't resist the AP rates and a new hotel.

See you on Saturday!!!

Hi Julie:

How was the LBV Comfort Inn? We may be looking for something the day before we head to wdw resort.

Thanks,

Deb.

Deb, we have stayed at the CILBV several times and it has always been adequate for the day or two we have spent there each time. There are microwaves and fridges in the rooms, too.

However, this time both beds had very creaky foundations (they weren't the box spring type) and if I was going to stay there longer I would have asked to be moved. I think we were both so tired from the drive down, that we didn't move around much during the night so it really didn't bother us and they were full anyway. I mentioned this at check-out and she made a note to have the beds checked. I just got an email comment form to complete so I will mention it there too. Also, I think the maid who made up our room must have been in an awful hurry because one of the beds had the blanket and sheet reversed and the other had too much sheet tucked in at the top and bare mattress near the bottom. We just laughed it off and made the necessary corrections. I forgot to mention this at check-out but will on the comment form.

The hotel is right beside the I-4 so I always request the parking lot side. There is a nice garden area with a fountain on the I-4 side and also the pool, which we have not used yet, so I can't comment.

They offer a full hot buffet breakfast at $5.99 (ask for the 20% discount if over 50) and a complimentary continental breakfast. You can also make your own Mickey waffle on the hot buffet. There is also a dinner buffet which we haven't done and a Lite Bite convenience store, gift shop and bar.

There is a free scheduled shuttle to Disney and I believe Universal and is within walking distance of DTD if you feel inclined.

Hi Julie glad you had a great trip and can't wait to see the pics at the Dis meet on Saturday talk to you then
Darren

You know when someone says.."Sounds like a fun trip"...? and you realize that they probably were only half listening...I think that's the best part about all of you here...when we say "sounds like a fun trip" we REEEEAAAALLLYYY mean it...cause every word of every trip report is just devoured - and we feel like we went too:D

Thanks for the report...sounds like a fun trip!!:crazy:

:sunny:
MAry Beth

Hi Julie,

I thought of you everyday last week....& wished I was there with you. Glad you had a great trip!
Thanks for the post card!

Wendy

I just wanted to say welcome back too and see you on Sat. Will you have all your pix on disc ? We we're thinking of you while you we're away and are looking forward to talking on Sat.

Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter