• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're Following the Leader… to the Disney Institute! (A business/family trip to WDW)

Was checking my phone and saw you had posted this update. FUN! We haven't been to DW since 10 and the only time/water park we ever went to was then and BB. It is funny because I know I had a smart phone then but I think I had an old Droid that I got the end of 09. I did take a few pics but not many and they were with my phone so not very good. You got some great shots! That is the one place I wish I had a better phone/camera to get some shots. My girls were 9 and 10 when we went and they both did Summitt Plummet. VERY brave. There is no way I would have done that. In fact my youngest did it twice as well as the one next to it that had the bumps in it. (forgot the name). Mom and I did the lazy river, wave pool and we did a big family size one that was really fun that you could have probably done. It was a 4 person raft that you had to ride the chair lift up but it was very easy and no falling out or anything and it was really fun. We really enjoyed it and had planned to do a day at TL this past trip. Unfortunately we won't have time to go to one in Dec but I am hoping to go to one again someday.

Thanks for the update and hope you had fun at Aulani!!

I'm amazed that your girls did Summit Plummet at 9 and 10. Very brave! I'm sure you'll get back again someday, and I am glad that your trip for December is on!

Don't worry, you're not the only one not to do the slides. When we went I only did the lazy river, and the wave pool, but I did manage to do the family raft ride as well. And yet I still had a great time!

Great update!

I meant to do the family raft ride, but missed it! I'm glad I'm not the only one to miss the slides, though.

I really enjoyed BB but haven't been there since 2010. The Ski Patrol Training Camp looks great. My oldest DD didn't want to go to it because she isn't a strong swimmer and my youngest was too small for it. But she's exactly Pickles age now, so it might be time to try it again!

This seemed to be a good age for Pickle. I would have preferred if she were a stronger swimmer, but she didn't mind the life vest. If you have the chance to try BB, I would recommend it. It's a slower pace than the parks, and a lot of fun.

I've never been to BB, but have been to TL quite a few years ago. At the time, my youngest was only five and couldn't do much, so I understand spending the bulk of your time in the Lazy River. My husband took our two older ones down the slides and in the wave pool, but I still had fun. The theming of those water parks is very cool.

I wish we had more time to go back to a water park, but it seems like there's never enough time to do everything you want in Disney. I guess that's why most of us go so often!

This is part of why we had never done a water park before. We tend to focus so much on the theme parks that it's been hard to justify taking a day at the water park. I'm glad it worked out for this trip, though.

We haven't gone with the kids yet but pre-kids we have been too both water parks and preferred Blizzard Beach - just like the fun the wing and thought there were more and more variety to the slides and things to do.

Glad you enjoyed it and seemed like everyone, especially Pickle, had a great time

Thanks, Phil.

We've never done a water park either. It really looks like a lot of fun!

It was a lot of fun. I hope you get to do one sometime soon.

I’m in and reading! I have to admit I kinda skimmed through the first info updates, but I love the collages of older pictures! Super cute!

That superman museum looks cute! A nice place to explore and stretch the legs!

That little park looks super cute and a great way to spend a day, especially to ease into a Disney vacation! Fun!

Love all the pictures so far, love that the kids are so into funny poses/faces too! I can’t for the LIFE of me remember WHICH of the outlets is right by Disney housing, but that one I spent a lot of time at, and was LOVING the stuff at the Disney outlet!! I just wish the Lulu was better! Lol. (update…from the pictures of the stores, I think it’s the vineland one..)Sounds like a great way to check into Orlando and have a relaxing day to kick things off! I do have to say, if I didn’t have to worry about transportation, I’d stay offsite a whole lot more!!

Sounds like an awesome meeting with Lee, I can’t say I’ve heard the name before but he sounds like an awesome guy! Oh WOW, this is the first TR I’ve read with pictures of Disney Springs since the new stuff opened, and it looks absolutely beautiful, and nothing like it did before! And YUM those cupcakes! Now I want one too! Lol. Always a good idea for second breakfast! LOVE the art store, I seriously don’t know how I’ve always come out empty handed (except for one time..)! I need everything!

The Boardwalk looks beautiful! It’s one of the very few hotels I have yet to stay at! We decided if we do another contract with WDW we’ll do CL there though! It must be nice to have Princess at that age where she can watch one or two of the kids while you guys split up! Seems pretty convienient so far! All the pictures around the BW area are gorgeous! Man do I miss it out there!! Bummer the fireworks didn’t work out too well,and UGH THAT CLOWN NEEDS TO NOT.

Awe man, that backstage epcot bus ride brings back the memories, bahaha. It can get exciting when you see characters walking to or from the trailers back there lol.I’m not big on Illuminations, but I am big on desserts, so I feel like I really wan to do the dessert party at Epcot!

The second day, esp wandering MK sounds a lot like the in park bit of Traditions! Though we didn’t get too much time in the parks and didn’t split off too much!

I still haven’t met joy & sadness! That needs to happen, they look super cute and your m&g looks awesome! LOVE the Japan pavilion! I could spend forever (and all of the money) in the gift shops there! I’ve only eaten at Liberty Inn like twice, and it’s been when I’m starving and we’re like, in between shows of Voice of Liberty & Music Machine and don’t have time lol. Glad ya’ll were able to meet up with old friends!! Oh goodness, I love all the flashback photos in front of the ball. Looks like an awesome day!

Training class looks great!!

WOW Hawaii looks amazing!! Aulani is on my list of places I NEED to go. We keep talking about the days when we’re rich, we’ll do a round the world trip of ALL the Disney parks, including it, and a cruise, lol, I mean, a girl can dream, right?!

Looks like you guys had a blast at BB, I’ve still never managed to get to a waterpark in Disney. I’m not big on waterparks in the first place so that’s probably why!

Whooo! Sorry this was a novel and a half! Excited to read more!!

You definitely need to meet Joy & Sadness--they were awesome. I was surprised at how much I liked BB. Other water parks I've been to haven't been as nice...but of course, BB has the Disney touch. It's beautifully themed, landscaped, and clean--I can't say the same about some of the other water parks I've been to. Hear, hear about the all around the world Disney trip! I have no idea how that would happen, but it sounds great.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your TR! My husband has been trying to get his company to pay for him to attend a conference at the Disney Institute. Crossing my fingers they will allow him to expense it so I can tag along. He's not a big Disney fan, but was very impressed with your meeting with Lee Cockerell. I am looking forward to the next installment!

Day 5 - Thursday, May 26 - Part 1: Are you yeti?

With three day, one-park per day tickets, the kids and I had a hard time figuring out what to do on this day. We knew we were going to go to Epcot on Tuesday because the evening extra magic hours would mean more time to spend with Matt; we knew were going to go to MK on Friday because it was the one day on this trip that Matt was free to tour the parks and we wanted to go to MK as a whole family. So what to do about Thursday?

At the 60 day out mark, I chose to get FP+ for AK. There was still some hope at that time that Rivers of Light and the evening activities at AK would be up and running. However, as our trip approached, the date announced for the opening of most of the evening activities was for Friday the 27th (with the Jungle Book show instead of RoL.) We were going to miss this by one day! I thought about changing our Friday plans to AK, but we decided not to fight the crowds and keep MK for Friday.

Once the kids knew about the surprise, we debated whether or not to do HS to see SW Launch Bay, a second day at Epcot, another day at MK, or AK. Decisions, decisions. We finally made up our mind the night before, and we decided that it was worth keeping the FP+, so we headed off to Animal Kingdom.

We got to AK about 8:30, for a 9:00 am opening. This was the first time in a long time that we had gotten to this park at rope drop. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared with the camera, but I was very impressed by the bird show done at opening! Wow. This was a great way to start the day.

Off we went to EE. This was Pickle's first time, and she was a bit concerned--especially about the yeti. A good friend of hers had told her how much she didn't like the yeti and didn't like this ride, so Pickle was more hesitant than I expected, given how much she likes roller coasters.

So did she like it? Well...after the first ride, I sat out, but the kids rode EE five times in a row! Now Buddy and I hold our family record of riding it seven times in a row from many years ago, which is why I chose to bag out after one ride this time (wisdom borne of experience!) So how did we pull off this feat? The stand-by line wasn't very long for most of the first hour, so the first four rides were all stand-by. For the fifth ride, we used our first FP+ of the day. Well before I pat myself on the back for being wise for sitting out, I should have thought about the consequences for the kids. Buddy was fine. But Pickle and especially Princess, didn't feel too well for quite a while after that much rollercoaster riding in a row.:faint:

I convinced the kids that we should see Mickey & Minnie before the crowds got too long. When we went to the meet and greet location, the sign said 20 minutes, which sounded great. However, people had been pouring into the character spot, and the cast members let us know that the it would really be more like 45 minutes to an hour. Yikes. So, we bailed.

It was a little before 10:30 and the kids really wanted to sit and eat. We had a hard time figuring out where, because it was starting to get hot and nobody could agree on what sounded good. Too much rollercoaster riding made people cranky. We came close to QS at Yak & Yeti, but decided air-conditioning was worth it. So, we bailed on Y&Y, and headed over to Pizzafari, where we were the first in line and waited about 10 minutes for the restaurant to open.

We've always like Pizzafari well enough in the past, especially the glorious air-conditioning. However, our experience this time around was not good. I was expecting the newer menu would be an improvement, but it seemed worse. Perhaps we were all too cranky, but none of us have any desire to eat there again after this trip. Please excuse the following if I'm beating a dead horse.

Buddy and Princess got pepperoni pizzas. Their meals came with antipasto salad. Pickle got a kid's cheese pizza with double broccoli for her side, and I got the chicken caesar lettuce wedge.

The kids thought their pizzas were pretty gross--the worst meal of the trip, by far. The antipasto salad smelled funky. I like olives, artichokes, and pasta salads generally, so I tried this to see if I thought it was as bad as they were making out, and sure enough I thought it was stinky and not tasty either. We ended up throwing it away so we didn't have to smell it while we ate the rest of our food. Pickle liked her broccoli. I was very disappointed in my salad. First of all, there was very little chicken and secondly, it was extremely difficult to eat with plastic utensils since it needed to be cut into much smaller pieces for every bite. I really hope this menu gets revamped again sometime soon. Anyway, Princess and Buddy did eat every bite because they were so hungry they didn't care if they didn't like it. However, much to my annoyance, they were all still hungry after lunch.

So, for the first time in all our Disney trips, after having just eaten lunch, we had to go get more food. I tend to be fairly patient, but I was beginning to lose it at this point. :crazy2:

Pizzafari is really close to Starbucks, so off we went. Here's Princess looking relieved that I bought her more food/drink. (Green tea frappucino, iirc)

and Pickle enjoying a mango smoothie.

Everyone seemed a little better. However, the heat was taking its toll. We decided to do Finding Nemo, which was a first for us, and was the turning point in the whole day. Taking the time to do this show really turned everything around. We got cooled off, and the show itself was really well done. I was mistaken in my thoughts about it before I saw it. I remember many years ago watching the Tarzan show at AK. It was at an outdoor theater, and for some reason I thought Nemo was in the same location. So, I wasn't expecting the nice indoor theater with amazing air-conditioning. What a great show! The actors sang beautifully and worked their puppets deftly. Buddy doesn't like shows, but he was a good sport, and I think he, too, liked sitting in air-conditioning for 20 minutes. (BTW, we didn't have FP+, and just waited in line about 10 minutes before the show started. We had no problem getting a seat, and I thought our view was great.)

Much happier!

We meandered over to Kali, because we had FP+ at around 1:00. It's a bit hard to see in this photo, but if you look closely you'll see that stand-by was at 50 minutes. Very glad we had FP+!

I don't have pictures, because we took advantage of the complimentary lockers to store our stuff. These were great, and very easy to use. The FP+ line was backed up, so we still had a 15 to 20 minute wait. I didn't mind because it gave us time to enjoy the queue. We shared our raft with some really good screamers, which made the ride more fun. Everyone was really into it. You know how there are one or two people in the raft who get thoroughly drenched? Well, that would be Buddy and me. Ha! Luckily, it was good day to be soaked.

I'm amazed that your girls did Summit Plummet at 9 and 10. Very brave! I'm sure you'll get back again someday, and I am glad that your trip for December is on!

Yeah well my girls have been on swim team since age 7 and my oldest is still doing it at almost 17 and my younger one swam till about 12 so they are good swimmers. But they are fearless too which isn't always a good thing LOL. But they parasailed and want to sky dive and bungee jump. NOT me though LOL. Yes I am hoping we make it to one of the water parks again! :)

I meant to do the family raft ride, but missed it! I'm glad I'm not the only one to miss the slides, though.

This seemed to be a good age for Pickle. I would have preferred if she were a stronger swimmer, but she didn't mind the life vest. If you have the chance to try BB, I would recommend it. It's a slower pace than the parks, and a lot of fun.

This is part of why we had never done a water park before. We tend to focus so much on the theme parks that it's been hard to justify taking a day at the water park. I'm glad it worked out for this trip, though.

Nice update. Wow sounds like kind of a bummer day at AK. When I hear this I am glad we didn't go in June. I don't do heat well and the thought of the heat alone much less the crowds is NOT desirable. We were hot enough in Tennessee at Dollywood. That's a bummer your meal was not good although I have never eaten at Pizzafari. We usually eat at Flame Tree. We enjoyed Nemo as well and like Kali although we usually go in the fall or winter and don't go because it is chilly. Hopefully the day got better! AK is one of my fave parks usually.

Day 5 - Thursday, May 26 - Part 2: This is Safari Land Coffee, and I'm Dana Brown

After soaking up lots of water in our clothes, we retrieved our stuff from the lockers and headed off. We were sitting on a FP+ for Dinosaur that was good in about an hour, so I decided to take the kids to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail--another first for us at AK. I really enjoyed the Maharaja Jungle Trek the last time I was at AK, so I wanted to head to Africa to see their trail. Princess and Buddy weren't too thrilled with my decision, but at least they were wet so they weren't too hot during our trek.

I started saying, "This is Safari Land Coffee, and I'm Dana Brown," to the kids since we were venturing out into Africa, and of course they didn't know what I was talking about. Part of being a good parent is pointing out all of the jingles and commercials you remember from when you were a kid and quoting them/singing them incessantly to your offspring. I didn't realize until just now that this was just a local St. Louis thing. http://danabrowncharitabletrust.org/bio.html As a kid, I heard his commercials on the radio every morning on KMOX. They would always include a story about his adventures on a safari with sounds of lions roaring or elephants trumpeting. So, like all St. Louis kids who were raised right, when I think African safari, I think Dana Brown.

I hope I haven't annoyed you with my digression, like I probably did with my kids!

Here's Buddy being a good sport. (Even if mom can be irritating.)

First off we learned a bit about the okapi, and compared it to the giraffe.

We came to a small building with some fun exhibits where we saw a turtle and an extremely large frog.

We had fun exploring the trail and seeing some animals.

And then, we had the most hilarious animal experience we have ever seen! Oh, I wish I had the video camera going at the time...it just happened too quickly. Now, I feel I must apologize for the potty humor and please don't click on the link if you don't want to see, but, well, it really did happen. I'm posting a random youtube video that was similar to our experience, only ours was much more explosive.

Here's a photo of the aftermath, and yes all that debris is what you think it is. :rotfl:

I'm cracking up just thinking about it. This was so funny, and we had lots of good laughs at that poor hippo's expense the rest of the trip. Somehow, I don't think Dana Brown would have approved. :eek:
(I hope I've given no offense at the 13-year-old-boy potty humor, but, well, Buddy is a 13 year old boy after all.)

Alright, Dana Brown, in honor of you, we ventured forth on our exploration of Africa, where we saw some zebras and apes. Here's a cup of Safari Land Coffee in your honor, sir. :drinking1

The Pangani trail was a lot of fun. Luckily we were still soaking wet, so we never got too hot. And we couldn't believe our luck in getting to experience the wonders of nature. (Luckily behind a glass window and fences.:laughing:)

On the way out of the trail, Pickle decided to buy a pair of zebra Mickey Mouse ears. None of the rest of us thought this was a good idea, and we all discouraged her from getting them. But she had her heart set on them after she saw them, so I caved and let her spend her money. She was happy. And Buddy and Princess were happy to finally be leaving Africa. Dinoland, here we come.

(I think I need to stop with the trip report writing for tonight. I seem to be getting a little slap happy! Sorry!:jumping1:)

Last edited:

I have never done either jungle trail. I have seen many pictures of both and they seem like good experiences. For some reason we just never get around to doing them. I need to correct that next trip.

I remember the Tarzan Rocks show in the outdoor theatre as well. I believe (although it's just my guess) that the building is the same, but it was just closed in for the Nemo show, perhaps so the bubbles and props don't blow around if there's any breeze (of course, this is AK, so when has there ever been a breeze there?). Either way, it's just nice to sit in the AC. My family has done the Nemo musical several times and always enjoy it.

Ah now you are getting to the parts I love about AK. Sorry I thought you were done with that day for some reason LOL. It sounds like your day got better and that is hilarious about the hippo poo. I have that kind of sense of humor so no offense from me LOL. I just love all the animals, trails and how jungly it all is. It is one of our fave places!

Last edited:
I love Expedition Everest, but I'm not sure I could do five times in a row. It's great that the kids were able to get that many rides in before the crowds.

That's too bad that your meal at Pizzafari was less than satisfying. It's disappointing to pay those prices for lousy food. It appeared to be a lot of broccoli with Pickle's meal, though.

I don't know why AK feels so much hotter and more humid than the other parks. Thank goodness for Kali River Rapids!

Really enjoying Stephanie's trip reporting!

Glad you all were able to turn the day around at AK. My kids will be 5 and almost 3 (twins) on our next trip, so I'm betting we will have a lot of those rough moments.

I have never been a Pizzafari fan. However, the one nice thing about it is some of the secluded seating in the back of the restaurant. There are some really nice indoor and outdoor spots that are pretty much dead at all hours of the day. Very nice place to take a break if you have different food, ha!

Day 6 - Wednesday, May 26 - Part 2: Touring Animal Kingdom Lodge

It's kind of fun tag teaming with Stephanie on this TR. Since the last couple of comments were related to her last post, I'll leave them for her to respond to. In the meantime, I'll inject my next update while she prepares for hers :hippie:

So yeah, while Stephanie and the kids were having their adventures in the Animal Kingdom, I started my last day of training at the Disney Institute. I was sad to see the course coming to an end, but on the other hand, I was super was excited to see what they had in store for us today. And to start things off right…. I was stoked to see an "old school" breakfast buffet waiting for me. Yahoo!!!!

Mickey Waffles and Disney Bacon. Two of my favorites!!! I may have went back for another round (or two) of bacon ;)

As we finished up our meals, we were debriefed on the plan for our final day. A quick recap…. on the first day, we learned about the importance of leadership in an organization. During the second day, we learned about establishing values and vision. On the third day, we learned about operationalizing values and vision. And on this final day, we'd be learning about how to sustain values and vision over time.

To see an example of how Disney sustains (and reinforces) their values in action, we would be travelling over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for some behind the scenes tours and cast member interactions. How cool is that!!!!

When we arrived, they split us into two groups: One group would enter the through the "cast members" entrance in the back, and the other group would enter from the lobby. The first group would explore the underground utilidors to see various operations in action, and the second group would tour the lobby and then listen to the head service guy chat about how they take care of customers. After the first tours were completed, we'd swap places and do the other one.

I was assigned to the first "backstage" group… we walked right past the "cast members only" sign and entered via the primary cast member entrance. Again, we were told to refrain from taking photos backstage. I wish this wasn't the case, because walking through all the AKL underground utilidors was super amazing!!!!!! (Yes, it requires at least six exclamation points to emphasize just how cool it was.)

I think the biggest take away, is that Disney uses nearly every inch of wall space in their hallways to reinforce their desired culture. Before we even got inside the building, we passed several banners that contained inspiring statements from Disney leaders and some "pats on the back" related to awards/recognition that they had received as a group.

And coming through the building door, the AKL vision/mission statement was the first thing you see. I don’t recall exactly what it said, but it was something along the lines of "Creating the most authentic African safari experience outside of Africa." (Again too bad I couldn't take photos because I wish my memory was a bit more clear on that.)

Walking through the halls, the fit and finish sort of reminded me of an old school (with cinder block walls and stuff.) Everything was clean and nice, but it certainly had a more functional aesthetic than what you see upstairs in the guest areas.

Anyway, every few feet, something was on the walls… but most everything had a purpose. And keeping with the culture, everything had appropriate fonts and color schemes.

If I recall correctly, soon after you enter, there is a wall with a leadership hierarchy. Showing photos of some of the main leaders. Helping people to be more familiar and better connected with the leadership team, I suppose.

In several areas, they had the "Leadership Basics" posted in large fonts. These are things that their leaders should be held accountable for, and they are promoted so that everyone knows what the expectations are. And then they had the "Four Keys" (safety, courtesy, show, efficiency) that all cast members are expected follow.

In one of the main areas, they had a big "Cast Member Look" mural of cast members in their costumes, showing how they should appear when "outside". Very detailed, so if there are any accessories in the costume, that people could easily see how they should be worn… and so on. For some reason, I found this to be really cool.

Also, lots of large cut-outs/paintings of the animals that you might see outside in the safari area upstairs. With various bits of information about each animal. Helping cast members to be more knowledgeable about AKL assets.

One poster said, "When the rhythm of the drum changes, so do the dancers". I thought that was pretty cool.

A few other things like housekeeper of the week, showing what they did to earn the accolade. And some other achievement recognition boards too.

One of my favorite areas was a section of hand prints/footprints. LOTS of them in different colored paint. Apparently this was done by cast members when the AKL first opened. They had their print on the wall, with their signature, and then a statement that was important to them. Can you imagine how cool it would be to walk through that hall every morning a few years later, and feeling special because your print is still on the wall for all newer cast members to see?!?!?! (Or to be retired, but to know that you print is still there?)

We saw all sorts of other stuff that I could go on and on about… Seeing the cast member cafeteria, break rooms, computer training centers, how staff are scheduled, how they get/store their keys, how they move materials, how some people use adult tricycles to move around (because the halls are so long), and so on. Really cool! The utilidors are so sprawling beneath the guest areas, that our DI facilitator actually got us lost. Twice!!! None of us cared, because it meant that we got to see extra stuff. :rotfl2:

But yeah, the point is… seeing how Disney uses tactics like these to remind their cast members of what's important to their organizational culture with things that reiterate their values and mission. Not to mention all the cool things that they do to celebrate the African culture and the accomplishments of their employees.

After about 30 or 40 minutes, we exited backstage into the primary pool area and had some quick tours of the outside facilities…

Since Boma is one of Stephanie's all-time favorite restaurants (at Disney or elsewhere), we've visited the AKL many times. But we've never actually stayed there. So I had fun exploring the grounds a little more thoroughly than ever before. Especially the pool area!

The Weather Channel says it's 96° here in St. Louis right now… and super humid. It says, "feels like 112°" So…. Those pool photos are looking pretty inviting right now!!!

After exploring outside for a while, we went entered into the lobby via the Boma entrance… and we saw people enjoying their breakfasts. Yum!

The plan was for us to meet with Robert Lambert inside of the Jiko restaurant's wine tasting room. (Too early for wine though!!!) Robert is the Sr. Duty Manager at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is essentially puts him at the head of customer service at the resort. Anyway, the first group was still chatting with Robert, so we went up to the main lobby area to explore for 10 or 15 minutes.

For some reason, I didn't take many pictures to share... and these are terrible... But here's the main lobby.

If you've ever been to AKL, there's nothing that I can add here. If you haven't… do yourself a favor and come here for dinner or snacks sometime to explore. The lobby is amazing and is my second favorite Disney lobby, just behind the one at Wilderness Lodge (designed by the same guy, actually.) But also, you can walk outside and see all the various animals.

I don't really have any animal photos here, I guess it was at the time of the day when they were being fed, taking naps, or who knows what, because they weren't really out and about. (At least when compared to the quantity of animals that we've seen when visiting in the afternoon/evenings before.) No worries, for me though…. I'm not a huge animal person anyway. (And/or I just always took them for granted, as we have one of the world's best zoo's here in St. Louis.)

Anyway, a few minutes later, we met with Robert in the wine tasting room.

We chatted casually for a few minutes. And then he explained about his background. He's worked at Disney for like 30 years at various parks, resorts, and capacities. Interesting stories. And then one of our DI facilitators asked him a bunch of leadership, values, and vision related questions. We learned all about his role in customer service, how he relates to his staff, how he relates to customers. What they do to meet customer expectations. Resolve issues. And so on. It was great. Robert was a natural speaker and was really interesting. Good job!

So…. Getting back to the comments about the corn dog fiasco with the kids last night, I thought to myself… "That sounds great coming from the top brass at AKL, but easier said than done. I wonder how he'd respond to the corn dog incident, or the fact that we discovered the previous guest's half consumed food in our refrigerator?" I felt inspired to put it to the test and speak to someone at the front desk of the Boardwalk Inn when I got back… just to see what would happen.

Anyway, after we said our thanks and goodbyes to Robert, we all regrouped out in the main lobby and headed back to the BI on our bus. We spent an hour or so sharing our experiences and insights (and I had to speak up for a couple more "rewards for introverts" tchotchke toys.) And a little while later, it was time for lunch!

And boy… the older I get, the worse my memory is. Even with the photo, I don’t really remember what was served. Other than the breakfast this morning, the food was generally fine throughout the week, but mostly forgettable. So that probably explains it more than anything. I have to admit, that I felt a little let down by the food in general. It was very good for typical conference/convention food, but for some reason (because it's Disney, maybe?), I thought it would be really fantastic.

Oh well, every other aspect of the course was indeed amazing… also probably because it's Disney… LOL.

After lunch, we had about a 45 minute break. And that's when I took the opportunity to go speak to someone at the front desk….

A few up fronts.

#1. None of the issues that I had up to this point were huge on their own. (Half-consumed food left in refrigerator in our room, strange odor coming from refrigerator area all week, gross pizza at the boardwalk, and the poor service from the corn dog guy.) I'm normally not a complainer about this kind of stuff, but when you are paying big bucks to stay at a Deluxe Disney resort, you expect things to be pretty awesome. And when these things were combined, and then compared to all the values that Disney was preaching about in class, it really started to bug me.

#2 I have to say this, otherwise Stephanie might chuckle at me when I say that I don't normally go looking for trouble. When it comes to "Fight or Flight", I tend to fight. My tolerance when confronted with shenanigans has decreased significantly over the years, and I don't like being messed with. (For example, there might have been some heated words exchanged with the corn dog guy if I was the one interacting with him and he treated me like that.)

That being said, I'm not very outgoing and I generally avoid drama unless it's shoved in my face. So… I really didn't want to go up to the front desk, and I was actually really nervous about it. (Even a bit jittery.) But curiosity won out and I did.

#3 I went with no expectations. My conscious is clear when I say that I wasn't expecting to weasel them out of any free perks or anything.

#4 I kept the fact that I just met Robert at AKL and that I was attending a course that emphasized Disney values a secret as long as I could, as I didn't want it to influence a response.

#5 And finally, I stayed calm and friendly the whole time. As the saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

So… I walked up to one of the front desk attendants, and they asked how they could help me, and I said that I'd like to speak with a manager about a couple issues that I've had during my stay. (Or something like that.) I received a nervous reaction, and then he looked over to his supervisor down the desk. He asked her to come over, and said that we'd start with her and then escalate if appropriate. He introduced me to her by name (I'll keep her name private) as the Front Desk Services Assistant (or something similar.) He stood by her side, until she moved me down the desk to her personal station.

Anyway, I explained the two primary issues that I encountered while staying at the BI. #1. The food left in our refrigerator. #2. The corn dog incident. (I didn't mention the smell in the room or the poor pizza quality.) I calmly explained both incidents, and how they didn't meet expectations. Again, I didn't share that I just learned about the "Leadership Basics" and the "Four Keys", but I alluded to how the service didn't meet them. (In my mind, the food in the refrigerator related to "always being show ready" and failing to meet expectations ("courtesy") And the corn dog person didn't reach courtesy, show, or efficiency standards.)

She immediately apologized profusely for both issues. Agreeing that they failed to meet expectations and empathized with me about them. She said that she'd bring the refrigerator issue up to Mousekeeping, and ensure that they would review the incident appropriately. (Because apparently the Mousekeeper who we gave the stuff too out in the hall didn't mention it to anyone.) And for the corn dog guy, which is obviously a more significant issue (because it was a real attitude issue, not a simple oversight.)

Interestingly, she said that the "To Go" kiosk isn't actually owned and ran by Disney. But she was quick to admit that those employees should be held to the same service standards as regular Disney cast members. And that the guy should have just said, "Oh, I'm sorry. Let me fix that for you." Even if he was 100% confident that it wasn't his mistake. (That's what I would have expected after all this training.) She also said that she'd bring it up with the management team and ensure that the actions of the individual would be reviewed appropriately.

That's all I really was expecting. A sincere apology and a reassurance that they would actually review the performance issues (vs. lip service and then ignoring them)

But then she started asking me about my family. Asking what they were doing today. Cutting to the chase, she was about to add three "Any ride, any time" Fast Passes to each of their bands for that day. Well, gosh… that's pretty awesome.

:dancer:

Knowing that their day was half over, and not sure if they would even realize what happened (Stephanie can be hard to reach on her phone), I asked if she could put the passes on their bands for tomorrow (we'd be at MK anyway.) At that point, she asked if I'd be joining them (which I was), and then she gave all 5 of us each those three extra fast passes. (Being the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, this was actually a huge blessing!)

She said that she wanted the kids to remember something extra fun about the trip, and hoped that it would offset their memory of the corn dog guy. (Or something like that.)

I was pretty stoked on that… but wait. Then she started asking me more about my kids. What they liked at Disney and stuff. I thought that she was just being friendly. I told her that Pickle still loves princesses, that Buddy likes roller coasters and Star Wars (in hindsight… He likes Monorails and trains!!!), and that Princess has grown out of princesses and characters, but loves anything Japan especially the treats at Epcot's Japan Pavilion.

At that point, I thanked her profusely for the FP's and we chatted a few more minutes. It actually a pretty great experience.

So my test confirmed what I hoped would happen. With like 70,000 employees, there are bound to be some mistakes like this... but it's the customer service response that really makes the difference. They really do own up to the mistakes when you bring it to the proper channels with a level head. Customer service is indeed really important to them.

Of course, we all already know this to be true about Disney's service. It's why we love Disney and give them so much of our hard earned money. LOL. But this was the first time that I seriously approached management about something. And I'm stoked that it ended well.

OK. To avoid leaving you hanging... I'll jump ahead to the evening real quick, and then my next post will cover the afternoon at my training course.

So…. I was out on my own for the evening when Stephanie and gang returned to the room from AK, and I received a text from the kids with the following photo.

The lady at the front desk, took it to the next level!!!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

She meant business when she said that she was bummed out that the kids might take that corn dog incident as a negative memory of their stay at BI, and that she wanted to make it positive for them.

Each kid had a plush doll waiting for them with some goodies. All three got lollipops. Pickle got a Princess trading pin starter set. Which she cherished and refused to trade the pins the next day. Buddy got a cool stamped metal Star Wars Tie Fighter model. Awesome! And Princess got snacks and candy from the Japanese store in Epcot. (They had remnants from the Mitsukoshi price tags on them, so she clearly had to go over there to get them for Princess.)

So yeah, extra fast passes and free goodies, the kids couldn't believe it. Stephanie and I were pretty excited too. Especially for the FP+'s!!!!

OK. This post was pretty heavy with words and I've run out of time. So that's all for now :-)

Last edited:
Great update. I love AKL and also boma. My mom didn't like it as much but on our upcoming trip we are going to try Sanaa so hoping for a good experience.

How awesome that you got the FP's and the little extras!! Def Disney worthy!

We haven't tried Sanaa before. I'd be interested to to see how you (and your mom) like it! (And again... still stoked that you get to visit WDW this year after all. Yahoo!)

Day 6 - Wednesday, May 26 - Part 3: Disney Institute Wrap up with Mickey Mouse

After our lunch break, we came back for the final session of the training course. The last exercises were related to "Your Leadership Legacy", and what actions and plans we should be thinking about for when we return to the office. And… how we should be actively thinking about our legacy now, not just in the final stages of our careers. One quote that stayed with me was, "The best legacy is not one that is fondly remembered, but one that is actively emulated."

We wrapped up with a few more topics and anecdotes about Walt Disney and other Disney leaders.

A really cool thing was how they tied Walt's legacy back to his roots in Marceline, MO with his Dreaming Tree.

They gave us each a packet of cottonwood seeds to represent the planting, growing, and nurturing of our own legacies while being inspired by Walt.

Living only a couple hours from Marceline, MO and having personally visited Walt's Dreaming Tree a few times, I found this to be super cool!

If you aren't familiar with Marceline, MO or Walt's Dreaming tree.. see the links in my signature for TR's where we visited it. (We stopped by on our California Road trip last summer, and the other one, "A visit to Walt's Happy Place" is from a few years back.)

(Oh, and coincidentally, Stephanie and I are attending a presentation at the Walt Disney Hometown Museum in Marceline this Saturday. Bob Penfield will be giving a presentation. He had a 40+ year career at Disneyland and is one of the few remaining cast members who worked at DL on opening day. I'm excited to have met Lee Cockerell who has a window on Main Street in WDW and the opportunity to meet Bob Penfield who has a window on Main Street DL. Both in the same summer!:cool1:)

Anyway, after chatting about Walt and his Dreaming Tree, we were all given graduation Mickey Ear hats, and then were congratulated by Mickey Mouse himself. First he made a surprise appearance up front. (Sorry for the bad photo.)

And then they had a photo backdrop set up in the back of the room. Mickey gave us each our diplomas and posed for a photo.

I was so impressed with the instructors (Dee and KVT) that I asked if they'd join me in a second photo. They obliged :) I was elated to have met Lee Cockerell earlier that week, but I would equally cherish a future opportunity to have coffee with either of these ladies. They were amazing too!

We all chatted for another 20 or 30 minutes, exchanged contact info with new friends, said goodbyes, and what not. And then it was time to move on.

This was by far, the best "professional development course" that I've attended. Ever. Really in a league of its own. I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to attend the course, and happy to report that I've been working closely with my boss and others to begin implementing some of what I've learned. With positive results too.

While the course is expensive, I think brings a lot of value when compared to other conferences and training sessions out there. They have several courses, and I hope to attend another one someday!

So that wraps up the training course section of this TR. At this point, Stephanie and the kids were still having fun at Animal Kingdom. (Which I'm sure she'll bring us up to speed on soon.) Next up for me, was to walk over to Hollywood Studios to see of the new Star Wars stuff, and then I spent the last part of the evening exploring Epcot on my own. And still to come, we spend our final day in Orlando as a group at Magic Kingdom, then head down to Vero Beach to visit an old high school buddy before driving back home to St. Louis.

Cheers!

Great updates! I love that the CM went above and beyond for you. That's what sets Disney apart from all the rest in my opinion. I'm sure it helped that you didn't come across as someone looking for compensation. Sometimes you just need to get something off your chest but she really wanted to make it right for you. That's awesome.

And too funny about the hippo. I would have been laughing like a 13 year old boy too.

Great updates! :thumbsup2

That is awesome that the CM gave you the fastpasses, and the gifts for the kids! :thumbsup2

I hope my DH can go to the Disney Institute some day. I think he would love it! ::yes::

We haven't tried Sanaa before. I'd be interested to to see how you (and your mom) like it! (And again... still stoked that you get to visit WDW this year after all. Yahoo!)

Thanks I am excited yet apprehensive. I know that I LOVE the holidays and that alone will be worth it. The closest we got to Xmas was one year we went at Thanksgiving and then stayed till Dec 2 but I have never been for the full on experience and am hoping that the crowds won't be so horrible that I can't enjoy it. I also have my main goal as to try and see and do all the things that are new since we were there in 10 so I hope that I am able to achieve that. I was able to order a fabulous cake for my daughter's birthday so I am excited about that and we will def try and stay for the fireworks this time. We took her once on her birthday at DL and it was so cold we had to leave before midnight (her birthday is New Year's Eve) so hoping this time we can actually stay.

And yes I am excited to try Sanaa. I will def let you know!!

Great trip update. That course sounds amazing. My mother is a realtor and our company has conventions every year. We just went from her owning her own company for 30 years to moving in with them as she is in her 70's now and didn't want to continue to run her own business. (I also work for her as the bookkeeper/her assistant) Last year they had convention in Orlando if you can believe it. We had just moved our offices and she had double knee replacement so we weren't able to go. In 17 it is in Vegas which I am excited as I have only been once but man I wish I could have gone when it was in Orlando! I am sure the Disney classes are MUCH more fun and informative then our company LOL.

Glad you enjoyed the conference and looking forward to the last updates and of course your Aulani report!!

Great updates! I love that the CM went above and beyond for you. That's what sets Disney apart from all the rest in my opinion. I'm sure it helped that you didn't come across as someone looking for compensation. Sometimes you just need to get something off your chest but she really wanted to make it right for you. That's awesome.

And too funny about the hippo. I would have been laughing like a 13 year old boy too.

Yeah. I got a chuckle when I read Stephanie's hippo story. Not being there to witness it in person, and after watching the video, I can see how they thought it was pretty funny.

Great updates! :thumbsup2

That is awesome that the CM gave you the fastpasses, and the gifts for the kids! :thumbsup2

I hope my DH can go to the Disney Institute some day. I think he would love it! ::yes::

Thanks! Yes, I'm sure that your DH would love it too! :thumbsup2

Thanks I am excited yet apprehensive. I know that I LOVE the holidays and that alone will be worth it. The closest we got to Xmas was one year we went at Thanksgiving and then stayed till Dec 2 but I have never been for the full on experience and am hoping that the crowds won't be so horrible that I can't enjoy it. I also have my main goal as to try and see and do all the things that are new since we were there in 10 so I hope that I am able to achieve that. I was able to order a fabulous cake for my daughter's birthday so I am excited about that and we will def try and stay for the fireworks this time. We took her once on her birthday at DL and it was so cold we had to leave before midnight (her birthday is New Year's Eve) so hoping this time we can actually stay.

And yes I am excited to try Sanaa. I will def let you know!!

Yahoo!

Great trip update. That course sounds amazing. My mother is a realtor and our company has conventions every year. We just went from her owning her own company for 30 years to moving in with them as she is in her 70's now and didn't want to continue to run her own business. (I also work for her as the bookkeeper/her assistant) Last year they had convention in Orlando if you can believe it. We had just moved our offices and she had double knee replacement so we weren't able to go. In 17 it is in Vegas which I am excited as I have only been once but man I wish I could have gone when it was in Orlando! I am sure the Disney classes are MUCH more fun and informative then our company LOL.

Glad you enjoyed the conference and looking forward to the last updates and of course your Aulani report!!

That's interesting about the realtor conventions. I work in the gardening industry and I sit on the board of one of the associations that our company belongs to. Somehow, I found myself as the primary planner for the two 2018 conferences. I was able to convince the group to hold the winter conference in Orlando (because I think it's a great location - even if we aren't on property.) As soon as we get the dates locked in, I'm hoping to get either Lee Cockerell or someone from the Disney Institute to give a leadership presentation... to round out some of the industry specific topics. That would be awesome! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter