We're Following the Leader… to the Disney Institute! (A business/family trip to WDW)

MarbleBob

DIS Veteran
We're Following the Leader… to the Disney Institute! (A business/family trip to WDW)

May 21 through May 30, 2016

Welcome to my latest trip report titled, "We're Following the Leader… to the Disney Institute!" This trip was unusual for us because our WDW visits are normally centered around traditional family vacations. This one was centered around me attending a four day Disney Institute leadership training course at the Boardwalk Inn. My family essentially tagged along with me.

27083057135_ca9bc5a88f_o.gif

Tee dum, tee dee, a teedle ee do tee day

The trip turned out to be amazing! I can't even begin to tell you how cool the Disney Institute training course was. Lots and lots of information about leadership strategies and how they are applied at Disney, as well as several behind the scenes (Backstage) tours and events. There's a method behind the magic. :wizard: Such a cool opportunity and I look forward to applying what I learned to my daily responsibilities at work.

I'm excited to share my Disney Institute training experiences as well as our more typical vacation stuff. And luckily, my wife Stephanie (Daehyfoog), agreed to tag team in writing this report. I'll be covering the majority of the trip and she'll cover her experiences with the kids while I was in training class.

A few highlights from the trip include:
  • Surprising our kids! They thought we were going on a parents only trip, up until we drove past the exit to drop them off at their grandparents.
  • Stopping to see Rock City at Lookout Mountain, TN on our drive down.
  • Having early morning coffee with Lee Cockerell (Retired Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World Operations)
  • Experiencing the Disney Institute's Leadership Excellence training course from the 23rd through the 26th. It was amazing!!!
  • The rest of my family visiting the parks without me during the days (including Blizzard Beach), and then meeting up with them in the evenings.
  • Date night at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.
  • A full day at a Magic Kingdom with the entire family. We killed it!!!
  • Visiting with a high school buddy in Vero Beach before driving back home to Missouri.
I'll start by introducing my family, I'll explain the background story of how this trip came to be, and then we'll get moving with the report itself.

Meet the Family

Stephanie and I have been Disney fans most of our lives. We both enjoyed the classic books, movies, and cartoons as kids… and we each went on family vacations to WDW several times. (She had gone four times and I had been twice.) The first movie that we saw in a theater together was 101 Dalmatians in 1996. And when we were first dating, I remember Stephanie mentioned that as a little girl, she dreamed of going to WDW on her honeymoon. So, when get got married, the decision on where to go for our honeymoon was a no brainer! That started the tradition of including Disney in our family vacations and we've been going back for more ever since.

When our family was younger, we visited WDW about once a year, but in recent years we've mixed it up with a couple Disney cruises and trips to Disneyland. And only recently started writing trip reports. If you are interested in reading more, feel to check them out:

June 2015: Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West
June 2014: Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go!
October 2013: Missouri to DLR - Take 2
September 2012: A trip to Walt's Happy Place - Marceline, Missouri

Matt (me) - Please don’t ask how/why I came up with the MarbleBob screen name, because I don't really remember. (It’s hard to believe I joined Disboards almost 13 years ago.) I'm not related to anyone named Bob and I don't even own any marbles. Some might argue that I've lost a few marbles, but that's a different story. About me? I’m an IT manager, skateboarder, gardener, and of course, a Disney fan. I tend to go through phases where I'm super into Disney, and then I focus my interest on other things. But I always come back!!!

Stephanie (DW) - My best friend and awesome mother to our 3 kids. She isn't really any more or less into Disney than I am, but she's certainly more consistently plugged in. I think she's listened to almost every DIS Unplugged podcast through the years (both WDW and DL) and she's probably listened to every one of Ricky Brigante's Inside the Magic podcasts too.

I might as well point out the pin on the photo below, because it'll probably show up repeatedly on this TR. Stephanie is a breast cancer survivor. It was just about 5 hears since her last surgery and she finally comes of the medication this summer. Something definitely worth celebrating while at Disney!!!

I periodically make collages of our kids growing up with Disney. I thought it would be fun to make one out of a few scan’s from Stephanie’s trips to WDW as a kid.

Princess (DD16) - My oldest daughter. Obviously, that's not her real name, but that's what we've been calling her in these trip reports. As mentioned above, she's grown up going to Walt Disney World and loving Disney princesses. She outgrew the princess loving stage a few years ago, but her love for Disney hasn't diminished. She also loves everything Nintendo and Japan, and of course, her favorite Disney attraction is the Japan Pavilion in Epcot.

Buddy (DS13) - Also not his real name, but this is what we usually call him around the house. He's our engineer. He loves building things with his monorail sets, Legos, Rokenbok, trains, etc. And of course, his favorite past time is playing Minecraft on the computer. His favorite Disney attractions are the trains, monorails, Expedition Everest, and California Screamin’.

Here's a video that Buddy, Pickle, and I created with Buddy's monorail toys and a GoPro several weeks ago.

Pickle (DD8) - She owns up to her nickname, and it fits her well. Very sweet and loving, but she can be a bit ornery and spicy too! I think she's finally outgrown the princess loving stage. She still likes them, bit didn't express any interest in dressing up or meeting one on this trip. She's still very much into Duffy Bear and has her fingers crossed that she'll receive a Shellie May doll for her birthday later this month.

So, I guess that’s enough about the family. How about a little more background on the trip before we get started?

Trip Background

First, I'll warn you that there'll be a couple "I told you this, to tell you that" scenarios here. A little wordier of a background story than normal for me, but I promise, I'm trying to get to the point asap.

Like most of you, we are pretty much a Disney family… To get her doses of the magic, Stephanie regularly listens to Disney related podcasts when she's working in the kitchen and doing household chores.

Some of her favorites include:

(The pics above are links to the corresponding show webpages.)​

A while back, Stephanie was listening to a Lou Mongello (WDW Radio) podcast where he interviewed Lee Cockerell, retired Executive Vice President of Disney World Operations. (Link to show.) She really liked what Lee had to say, so she read his book, "Creating Magic - 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies From A Life At Disney - Based on the principles taught at the renowned Disney Institute." (Yeah, that's mouthful.) Stephanie is such an avid reader, that I really keep up with what she's reading… and I had no idea that she had read this book.

Anyway…

I'm an IT Manager and I'm actively participating in some company-wide strategic planning initiatives at work. Last summer, I mentioned some of the challenges that we are facing, and Stephanie suggested that I read Lee's Creating Magic book. I was skeptical at first, "How could a Disney book apply to what I’m doing?" I reluctantly followed her recommendation, and it turned out to be a tremendous help! Like in a major way. I was floored by it. After I finished it, I gave it to my boss and he loved it too. He gave it to our HR Director. Not sure what she did with it, but I hope she's since passed it on to someone else.

And who's Lee Cockerell again?

27049965936_92e936faf6_n.jpg

If you aren't already familiar Lee, then here's a blurb from his bio on www.leecockerell.com:

Lee Cockerell is the former Executive Vice President of Operations for the Walt Disney World Resort. "As the Senior Operating Executive for ten years Lee led a team of 40,000 Cast Members and was responsible for the operations of 20 resort hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping & entertainment village and the ESPN sports and recreation complex in addition to the ancillary operations which supported the number one vacation destination in the world."

Lee worked at WDW from 1993 to 2006, and before that he was a VP at Disneyland Paris from 1990 to 1993. He had a HUGE impact on making WDW great in the late 90's and early 00's. And much of the magic that we've all experienced as guests in the last 20 some odd years can be attributed to the policies and procedures that he put in place. I think he's most known for his "Disney Great Leader Strategies", which was used to train leaders at WDW. Since his retirement, he writes books, speaks on leadership, management, and customer service, and creates an awesome weekly podcast.

So yeah, I read Lee's Creating Magic book and LOVED it. You really should consider reading it too! It's great, even if you aren't a leader in business, you'll still find all kinds of useful tips that you can apply to your own life. And as a Disney fan, you'll find it interesting to see that many of our "magical moments" aren't really random at all. They are formally a part of the strategy where cast members are encouraged, even expected, to make magic happen. He explains that many of the topics in the book are explored in more detail in Disney Institute training courses, and he highly recommends them.

OK. Told you all that, to tell you this…

Last fall, I was comparing notes on the book with my boss and I said to him, "Wouldn't it be awesome to attend one of the Disney Institute training courses that Lee recommends in his book?" My boss said something along the lines of, "Yeah, that would be great. Let's budget for it and see what happens." I'm excited to say that it was approved.

If you are unfamiliar with the Disney Institute, here's the one liner from their website, "As one of the most recognized names in professional development, Disney Institute provides professionals from the private, public, and social sectors worldwide an opportunity to experience courses grounded in the time-tested success and insights from The Walt Disney Company." (They also do custom consulting too.) From an individual perspective, they focus on leadership, employee engagement, and customer service topics… with various courses on each . In addition to classroom training, they often take you behind the scenes to interact with cast members and see the ideas in action. (Now that I have firsthand experience, I can say that this is just too cool!)

26808848520_c1eaa4a9d1_n.jpg

My particular course, Disney's Approach to Leadership Excellence, was a four day class held at the Boardwalk Inn. Once, I got everything locked and loaded with the course registration, it was time to decide if Stephanie wanted to tag along. (No brainer for her, actually.)

The only thing was, we are going to Hawaii later this month and all of our vacation allowance was earmarked for that trip. As a result, we needed to do this on the cheap. I was able to drive instead of fly, so this meant that Stephanie could tag along without adding any costs to our personal budget. We'd only need to pay for her meals and any activities. She planned to not purchase park tickets and wanted to spend her four days exploring the resorts. That still sounds like a lot of fun!

And finally, getting to the family aspect portion of the trip…

"Hey kids… we wanted to let you know that mom and dad are going to Orlando for some Disney training at the end of May. You'll be staying with your grandparents while we are away." Of course they responded, "That's not fair. Why can't we come too?" And we replied, "Well, we aren't actually visiting the theme parks. There just isn't money in the budget for it since we are already going to Hawaii this summer. Plus… Mom will be exploring resorts and stuff, which you guys have had no interest in doing with us in the past. And I'll be in classes all day." We received something like the following in return, "Well…. in that case, OK, I guess. But still, no fair." And I replied, "Hey, just remember that you'll get a dose of Disney when we visit Aulani in June."

And then we started feeling guilty about doing all this without the kids. Hmmm… our youngest hasn't been to WDW as much as the older two. (Most of her WDW trips were when she was little.) That's not fair to her, right? Oh, and she turns 9 in June. This is our last chance to get her in at kid prices. True. And wait, the Boardwalk Inn actually sleeps five. That's a rarity in Disney hotels. It might be good to capitalize on this opportunity. Oh, and we are driving instead of flying, so there's no extra costs there. And finally, remember those discounted park tickets? Those are really a great deal. Almost too good. At this point, we'd be foolish and irresponsible not to take the kids right? (Following TheMaxRebo's line of thinking from one of his trip reports. http://www.disboards.com/threads/wa...gust-14-pre-trip-report-updated-8-24.3241418/ ) OK. OK. I guess we could raid the rainy day fund just enough to make this happen. We gotta eat on the cheap though, no table service meals, limited soft drinks, souvenirs, etc. Right! We can do this!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

The fun thing is, we let the kids believe that we'd be going without them. Which is what they thought was happening until we drove past the exit to Grandma's….

Last edited:

Day 1 - Saturday, May, 21 - And we're off!!

So yeah, the kids thought we were getting up early to drop them off at my parents' house, which is just off the highway heading east. They were a bit disappointed that we were going without them, but all in all, they were pretty good sports and didn't drag their feet or anything. We loaded up the car and were on the road by 6:30 AM as planned.

A few minutes later, we drove past the exit and nobody said anything. Which isn't what I expected. A few minutes later, Buddy was like, are we meeting Mimi and Papa somewhere else? We kept quiet wondering if he'd put two and two together. Then Pickle started saying that she thinks we must be meeting them at the mall down the road. And then Princess perked up from the back seat, "wait, what's going on?" Buddy sort of joked, I bet they are taking us with them. (But he seemed not to actually believe that.) Pickle was 100% convinced that we weren't taking them to Disney with us. After they argued back and forth with each other for a minute or two, we let the cat out of the bag. It was actually about what I expected, they weren't so excited that they were bouncing around the room, they were more in shock and took a few minutes to process it. But when they came to terms with it, they were pretty darn happy! Especially the younger two. Princess had mixed emotions because she loved the idea of going to her happy place, but wasn't mentally prepared to be away from her boyfriend for a WHOLE week.

We typically drive on our trips to WDW. Leaving St. Louis early in the morning and driving a few hours south of Atlanta for the night. Then arriving in Orlando around noon on the next morning. Buddy was really little the last time we visited Rock City (we always see the barns, birdhouse signs, and billboards on the drive down), so we decided to hit it on this trip. (And Pickle wasn't born or was a baby. I don't really recall the exact last time we visited.) Anyway, the agenda was to drive to Chattanooga, detour over to Lookout Mountain and see Rock City, and then head about an hour south to spend the night in Calhoun, GA.

In all the years of driving to Florida, we never actually stopped in Metropolis, Illinois, which is just off the highway before you head into Kentucky. I'm sure most of you know, but the Superman character resides in a city called "Metropolis." The city in Illinois existed way before Superman ever did, but clearly they adopted him as their claim to fame. Apparently in 1972, DC Comics declared Metropolis as the "Hometown of Superman" and the Illinois State Legislature passed a resolution conforming this. Naturally, they would try and leverage this for tourism… They have a giant Superman statute in the town square and a museum (that was closed.)

Anyway, we decided to hop off the highway and see what we've been missing all these years….

It was a quaint little town with a few shops and stuff in the center. We navigated our way down and found Superman himself.

Of course we had to get out of the car and see him in person!

I wish the little shop/museum would have been open, because it was really cool looking. Lots of interesting stuff to look at through the windows, and a few cool photo opps too!

We probably spent 30 minutes or so exploring and stretching our legs. It's pretty much of a "once is enough" type of visit, but I would like to come back and see the museum someday.

Another hour or two, we passed into Tennessee and it was time for lunch.

Remember that point about the budget in my background/intro, and the part about eating on the cheap? Well, we decided to pack picnic lunches for the trip. Normally, we just stop for fast food, which the kids generally appreciate (we don't eat it too much at home.) They weren't too thrilled about picnics, but I'm actually happy that we did. I found it to be a lot more fun than stopping at some random hamburger chain. So yeah, we pulled over at the Tennessee welcome center to have our lunch.

It turned out to be a really nice stop. Lots of shade and really pretty grounds.

Here's a photo showing just how excited the kids were to be eating here!

Pickle had no idea who Dolly Parton is, but I made her get a photo anyway. Haha!

So yeah, we stretched our legs for a few minutes by walking around, and then we had our picnic.

A little while later, we were back on the road and heading through Nashville.

And then yet a couple hours later, we started seeing our first signs for "Rock City."

Next post, we'll explore Rock City. And then soon, we'll be making our way to Disney!

Last edited:
Day 1 - Saturday, May 21 - See Rock City

I'm not sure how famous Rock City is around the rest of the country, but I grew up driving between St. Louis and Charleston, SC to visit my grandparents. A couple times when I was little, we stopped there, and then I've been a couple times as an adult. If you aren't familiar with it, it's basically a tourist trap (in a good way) up on Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN.

No idea what year this was, but here I am with one of the gnomes. Haha!

I tried to come up with a summary of Rock City, but realized that I should just reference the description on their homepage at http://www.seerockcity.com/

Rock City will amaze you...it's in our nature! Located atop Lookout Mountain, just 6 miles from downtown Chattanooga, Rock City is a true marvel of nature featuring massive ancient rock formations, gardens with over 400 native plant species, and breathtaking "See 7 States" panoramic views. Take an unforgettable journey along the Enchanted Trail where each step reveals natural beauty and wonders along the woodland path. Experience the magic of Fairyland Caverns and Mother Goose Village, visit one of our regional gift shops and dine at the Big Rock Grill. Rock City is splendid year-round - "Each season there's a new reason to visit!"

So yeah, before you reach Chattanooga on I-24, you veer off to the south and drive up a few winding roads up to the top of Lookout Mountain. It's actually a beautiful drive!

We arrived and were lucky to find a parking spot up front. It was about 4:15 PM and it closed around 6:00 PM, so we didn't waste any time purchasing our tickets. I think it as around $90 for for adults and one child. Not terrible considering how cool this place is.

A quick photo, and we headed inside!

Rock City is known for it's roadside advertising... billboards, barns, and bird houses. We picked up one of these bird houses about 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

Basically, everyone follows the same trail that winds through the property. There are some small loops, nooks, and crannies, but everyone basically follows the same path. So here we are starting at the top of the trail.

Check out the bridge up above in the following picture. Eventually, you end up crossing it.

Some of the rock passageways on the trail are quite narrow. This one isn't too bad.

Trying not to overdo it with photos, but there were little gnome statues everywhere!!!

Eventually, you wind your way over to the edge of Lookout Mountain. Yikes!!!

This statue seemed a bit out of place.

There might have been a few Napoleon Dynamite jokes made....

38213989.jpg

And eventually making our way over to the lookout point.

Here's a panorama from my phone. Such a cool place!

We spent a few minutes enjoying the view and then decided to continue on along the trail. That is until Pickle saw a Dip N Dots stand. She used some of her own money to have a nice treat. (She wouldn't put it down for the picture. LOL.)

OK Kids.... we HAVE to get a photo in the birdhouse!!!

Next up, we started weaving our way down to Lover's Leap. Starting with "Fat Man's Squeeze". I'm only a little overweight, but that didn't stop the kids from suggesting that I might have a tough time.

No worries, it wasn't that bad.

Stephanie is somewhat terrified of heights, and there is no way that I was going to get her to join the kids in this photo.

(Notice there is nothing supporting that platform from below.)

Anyway, more winding through the rocks for a while...

And we eventually made it to Fairyland Caverns!!!!

Last edited:
Day 1 - Saturday, May 21 - Fairyland Caverns

This is one of the areas that I remember most about Rock City from when I was a kid. You walk through the cave and see lots of gnomes mining for gems and then the second half has scenes (glowing in blacklights) from various fairy tales and nursery rhymes. How fun!

The first room sparkles with all the quartz crystals,coral, and whatnot, but it doesn't really translate to the photos.

Going a little deeper, things start to glow...

And then you get to the scenes. There are tons of them, these are just a few. Most of them are the size of a bedroom or large bathroom.

And eventually, you get to Mother Goose Village, which is actually a large room with lots of sprawling scenes on all four sides. Too cool!

Eventually, we made our way out...

We browsed around in the gift shop for a while, and at around 6pm, we had our fill and were ready to depart. I should have got better photos of the entrance area with all the stone buildings. It's really pretty. Check out the Starbucks.

Stephanie took the next driving shift.

We all went back and forth about different meal options. I didn't really care that much, but the kids (for some reason) all had a hankering for Panda Express. Again, trying to keep the meal expenses down to maximize our Disney time, so we obliged. Better than McDonalds and not much more expensive!

We finished up and then drove the last 30 minutes to Calhoun, GA. We stayed in a LaQuinta. They are suites with a couch bed that sleeps 5, so we gave it a try. It was about $100 out the door, so not too bad. We pretty much arrived, hopped in bed, watched TV for a while (no cable/satellite at home) and then called it a night. We normally stay at Marriott Fairfield Inns and Hyatt Places (for the same 5 person reasons.) This wasn't quite as nice as those, but it was perfectly fine. (Stay tuned for a review of Howard Johnson's on the way home. Yuck!!!)

All right I think that about does it for the first series of introduction posts. Next up, we drive to Orlando and do a little Disney outlet shopping on Sunday. And then head to the new Disney Springs on Monday morning. Stay tuned!!!

Last edited:

Thanks for the Bat signal, er, guess I should say Superman signal - so glad you are doing a TR for this trip!

Congratulations to Stephanie! Well deserved celebration button!

That is fun how you surprised the kids (even if it did mean a week away from the boyfriend)

Rock City looks pretty fun - though the gnomes in the caves creep me out a bit

Yay thanks so much for letting me know about your report. I have been thinking about your reports a lot as I have been reading a few others and just loved your last one. Such a dejavu too because last year you did almost the exact same trip as us and went just after we did and now this year we are going to almost the same place LOL. I am sorry if I already mentioned this so ignore if I did but I know I mentioned some of our upcoming trips when talking with you on your last report. What I don't remember is if I had mentioned about switching our upcoming trip. As I had mentioned before we haven't been to DW since 10 and had a trip planned in 14 which we had to cancel and then again we were going to go this June. We were supposed to leave this Friday to be exact. But my mother had double knee surgery this past November and then we had to move our offices and since she works on commission things just haven't come back as quickly as she had hoped. We had airfare bought and our meals booked but at the 90 day mark when we were getting close to having to purchase our park tickets we did the math and between the tickets, food etc it was going to still be QUITE a bit. That was even staying at our timeshare (we also had 3 days at universal and staying onsite which was 2200 alone). I was really hesitant about going in the heat and crowds of the summer anyway so we decided rather than stretch ourselves thin we would cancel and wait till we can go at our favorite time of year. Fall and food and wine!

So we cancelled our trip and at first were just going to go up to the PNW and Canada. I used to live there and we love it up there and haven't been since 11. But the kids didn't like that idea and my oldest said let's look and see where else we could go using our air credits. We decided on Nashville.

So ironically we leave 1 week from Today and head to Nashville. I have never been to Tennessee and am really excited to see it. I LOVE your Rock City stuff and just looked to see if that was a possibility however we aren't going that direction. We are spending only a day and a half in Nashville and touring the normal touristy stuff Grand Ole Opry, etc., and then headed east to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Going to stop in Knoxville and then spend 2 days in the afore-mentioned with a day at Dollywood for the kids. Then headed to Ashville and the Biltmore then down through SC staying in Greenville, onto Atlanta and 1 day to tour there then headed southwest and into Alabama with a stop in Montgomery and eventually Mobile. Doing the gulfcoast and Biloxi and Gulport and ending up with our last 3 days in New Orleans.

We are super excited and my bucket list is to visit every state at least once even if just to drive through it. I can check off 5 more states so excited.

Congrats to your wife on beating cancer and her five years. That is awesome.

And love the pics of the kiddos. Their faces in some of the pics crack me up. I have a 16.5 and 15 year old and they are the same LOL.

So excited and hope you are going to do one on Aulani. I remember you saying that was your next trip so looking forward to both!!

Thanks for the heads up about your TR! Glad to be along for the ride.

I had to laugh when you mentioned princess being away from her boyfriend for a whole week. I know all too how that can complicate things. Thankfully (for me) my DD16 is not "attached" right now but I am sure that will change again before long.

So awesome to hear that Stephanie is 5 years cancer free! A reason to celebrate for sure.

Rock City looks interesting, especially for me since I have a degree in geology. Beautiful scenery both above and below ground.

Great start, I am in!

A few things: first off congratulations to Stephanie being 5 years cancer free. That is most certainly something to celebrate. We just celebrated 8 years for my DH and I'm sure you have the same spirit of gratitude that we do!

Also, I can't get over how much Stephanie looks like Pickle in her childhood photos. So cute!

Rock City looks like a cool place to visit. I think there was more but I can't remember what else I wanted to comment on (turning 50 does that to a person, I'm afraid).

Looking forward to more.

Thanks for the heads up, Matt! The Disney Institute training courses sound interesting. Looking forward to reading about that and the rest of your trip.

Your kids are getting so grown up! Buddy has lost his little boy look. Are the glasses new for Pickle?

That's awesome that Stephanie is 5 years cancer free! We've been dealing with kidney cancer and some heart issues with my husband this past winter. Reading the disboards has helped me deal with some tough days.

We've been to Chattanooga a couple times for softball tournaments when our daughters were young. I love visiting Rock City and Lookout Mountain. Such a beautiful place! You see those birdhouses everywhere and you're right. They do hold up well.

Our of curiosity, are your kids out of school? Where I teach, we're in until June 7th, but I know it's different everywhere.

Editing to add that your little monorail is awesome! How many days were you able to keep that set up?

Last edited:
Thanks for the Bat signal, er, guess I should say Superman signal - so glad you are doing a TR for this trip!

Congratulations to Stephanie! Well deserved celebration button!

That is fun how you surprised the kids (even if it did mean a week away from the boyfriend)

Rock City looks pretty fun - though the gnomes in the caves creep me out a bit

Thanks Phil!!! First comment, yahoo!!!

I can see how you'd think the gnomes in the caves might be creepy, but when you see them in person, it comes off as pretty campy/silly/fun.

Yay thanks so much for letting me know about your report. I have been thinking about your reports a lot as I have been reading a few others and just loved your last one. Such a dejavu too because last year you did almost the exact same trip as us and went just after we did and now this year we are going to almost the same place LOL. I am sorry if I already mentioned this so ignore if I did but I know I mentioned some of our upcoming trips when talking with you on your last report. What I don't remember is if I had mentioned about switching our upcoming trip. As I had mentioned before we haven't been to DW since 10 and had a trip planned in 14 which we had to cancel and then again we were going to go this June. We were supposed to leave this Friday to be exact. But my mother had double knee surgery this past November and then we had to move our offices and since she works on commission things just haven't come back as quickly as she had hoped. We had airfare bought and our meals booked but at the 90 day mark when we were getting close to having to purchase our park tickets we did the math and between the tickets, food etc it was going to still be QUITE a bit. That was even staying at our timeshare (we also had 3 days at universal and staying onsite which was 2200 alone). I was really hesitant about going in the heat and crowds of the summer anyway so we decided rather than stretch ourselves thin we would cancel and wait till we can go at our favorite time of year. Fall and food and wine!

So we cancelled our trip and at first were just going to go up to the PNW and Canada. I used to live there and we love it up there and haven't been since 11. But the kids didn't like that idea and my oldest said let's look and see where else we could go using our air credits. We decided on Nashville.

So ironically we leave 1 week from Today and head to Nashville. I have never been to Tennessee and am really excited to see it. I LOVE your Rock City stuff and just looked to see if that was a possibility however we aren't going that direction. We are spending only a day and a half in Nashville and touring the normal touristy stuff Grand Ole Opry, etc., and then headed east to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Going to stop in Knoxville and then spend 2 days in the afore-mentioned with a day at Dollywood for the kids. Then headed to Ashville and the Biltmore then down through SC staying in Greenville, onto Atlanta and 1 day to tour there then headed southwest and into Alabama with a stop in Montgomery and eventually Mobile. Doing the gulfcoast and Biloxi and Gulport and ending up with our last 3 days in New Orleans.

We are super excited and my bucket list is to visit every state at least once even if just to drive through it. I can check off 5 more states so excited.

Congrats to your wife on beating cancer and her five years. That is awesome.

And love the pics of the kiddos. Their faces in some of the pics crack me up. I have a 16.5 and 15 year old and they are the same LOL.

So excited and hope you are going to do one on Aulani. I remember you saying that was your next trip so looking forward to both!!

Glad to have you join in! It's interesting how things work out sometimes. I'm sorry that your WDW trip didn't work out this year, but making lemonade out of lemons, your road trip sounds amazing! I've only scraped the surface of Nashville. Some stuff downtown about 20 years ago, and then usually just driving through. On our way back, we did stop at the outlet malls next to the Grand Ole Opry. They have a Disney outlet store with a small selection of discounted Parks Merchandise. (As if we didn't already have enough Disney on this trip already. LOL.)

We've been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge a few times through the years too. Super touristy, but super fun!!! Great places to explore! (And of course driving into the Great Smokey Mountain National Park is pretty epic too.) I've never been to Dollywood, but have heard great things about it. We've been to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO lots of times, and it's my understanding that Dollywood was originally a second Silver Dollar City location. Sounds like they are still similar, but people seem to like Dollywood better. Would love to hear what you think about it.

Never been to Ashville or Greenville, but we've passed through Atlanta a few times. (Not sure if you have time, but Stone Mountain is pretty awesome!) Also, Stephanie and I did a parents only trip to New Orleans a little over a year ago. Good times, good food, and good drinks! And we REALLY enjoyed the WWII museum.

Hope you have an amazing vacation!!!

Thanks for the heads up about your TR! Glad to be along for the ride.

I had to laugh when you mentioned princess being away from her boyfriend for a whole week. I know all too how that can complicate things. Thankfully (for me) my DD16 is not "attached" right now but I am sure that will change again before long.

So awesome to hear that Stephanie is 5 years cancer free! A reason to celebrate for sure.

Rock City looks interesting, especially for me since I have a degree in geology. Beautiful scenery both above and below ground.

Thanks Jeff! Happy to have you along for the ride. Yeah the whole boyfriend thing is relatively new to us. Still hard for me to come to terms with, but at least he's a good kid. :crazy2:

Funny! I have a B.S. in Geology too. After all the classwork, I spent nearly two months in Field Camp in the Wind River Range in WY. After that, I decided it wasn't for me, and got into web development during the dot com boom in the late 90's. But I still enjoy the subject, and I love exploring outdoors :hippie:

Great start, I am in!

A few things: first off congratulations to Stephanie being 5 years cancer free. That is most certainly something to celebrate. We just celebrated 8 years for my DH and I'm sure you have the same spirit of gratitude that we do!

Also, I can't get over how much Stephanie looks like Pickle in her childhood photos. So cute!

Rock City looks like a cool place to visit. I think there was more but I can't remember what else I wanted to comment on (turning 50 does that to a person, I'm afraid).

Looking forward to more.

Thanks Melk! Congrats to you and your DH for 8 years! Yes, I'm sure we have a similar spirit of gratitude. We tend to look at things a little differently than before. We tend to splurge a little more on experiences now (like this trip for example) than we would have before, because you never know what's going to happen in the future. Trying not to take it for granted. :goodvibes

I agree, it's fun to compare Stephanie's childhood photos to Pickle and Princess. Especially the younger ones.

Thanks for the heads up, Matt! The Disney Institute training courses sound interesting. Looking forward to reading about that and the rest of your trip.

Your kids are getting so grown up! Buddy has lost his little boy look. Are the glasses new for Pickle?

That's awesome that Stephanie is 5 years cancer free! We've been dealing with kidney cancer and some heart issues with my husband this past winter. Reading the disboards has helped me deal with some tough days.

We've been to Chattanooga a couple times for softball tournaments when our daughters were young. I love visiting Rock City and Lookout Mountain. Such a beautiful place! You see those birdhouses everywhere and you're right. They do hold up well.

Our of curiosity, are your kids out of school? Where I teach, we're in until June 7th, but I know it's different everywhere.

Editing to add that your little monorail is awesome! How many days were you able to keep that set up?

Thanks for joining in. I look forward to sharing the Disney Institute experiences. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take photos backstage and I can't share too much of the course content, but I think I can share enough information and highlights to make it interesting. :thumbsup2

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that your husband has been dealing with. Prayers and best wishes for your family! Disboards, and especially the podcasts, really helped Stephanie when she was in the thick of it too. So great to have something like Disney and all the kindred spirits in the community to share the magic with!

Our kids got out of school on May 18 and May 20. We don't have snow days baked into our schedule, and we didn't have any this year, so they got out pretty early. Last year, we had quite a few snow days, so they got out in early June instead. (I guess there are pro's and con's to that policy, but it is what it is.)

Thanks for the comment about the monorail set. We only kept it up a couple days. Buddy gets the stuff out a couple times a year, but only once a year or so, does he build a super layout like this one :cool1:

Thanks for the Bat signal! Congrats to Stephanie for being cancer free for 5 years! That's awesome! Your kids are really growing up. I'm excited to hear about the leadership class. I follow Lee on FB and love his stuff. I need to order his book and read it. Maybe I can convince my company to pay for a class. :)

Jill in CO

Thanks for the condolences on our Disney trip. It was so hard and I am really torn about it. With the actual day coming up in 2 days I know I may be a little sad esp since that is my birthday and to get to spend it at DW is amazing. Here in CA the kids don't get out of school till sometimes the 2nd week of June but things switched around this year and their last day is tomorrow (the 2nd) so we were going to leave bright and early on the 3rd and I was going to get to spend the evening at the springs and have dinner at some place fun. We had wanted Fultons but heard about the rehab and then changed to Capts grill I think it is called at Yacht club. Would have been fun but such is life. I honestly haven't been too upset because of the weather and such and we are super excited about our road trip but it is still always hard when the day comes that you "would have left". But it's all good. I just wish we had another trip planned which would make it easier to swallow but I told my mom my FAVE time of year is fall and Food and Wine and I don't want to go back till we can go at that time. Nothing is certain and since both my girls are in HS it could be a LONG time before we can make that happen. Neither of them can miss school for that long and since we are from CA I don't want to go unless we can spend at least 10 days. That is 6 park days and 2 at Universal. That is a bare min for us. We also had wanted to go to TL. Since they will be in college though I told mom it may mean going over their winter break since colleges get a MUCH longer break than HS or going with out them god forbid LOL.

My mom is a realtor and her company is based out of New Jersey and they had their annual meeting in Orlando last Nov. Ironic right. She wanted to try to make it happen but again with her surgery and all it was just too much. I don't know if they go back to the same places but maybe that will work out someday. This year they are talking vegas which is ok. It's close to home and I have only been once in 97 so want to go back.

We are super excited about our road trip though and thanks for the info. We are pretty booked up each day as we are moving from state to state but I am glad to hear they have a disney outlet. I will make sure and check THAT out!!!

I will for sure let you know what we thought of Dollywood and the other spots. I wish I was good at doing TR's but not sadly LOL.

Look forward to your next update!!

Great report so far. Thanks for the heads up.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup2

Thanks for the Bat signal! Congrats to Stephanie for being cancer free for 5 years! That's awesome! Your kids are really growing up. I'm excited to hear about the leadership class. I follow Lee on FB and love his stuff. I need to order his book and read it. Maybe I can convince my company to pay for a class. :)

Jill in CO

Thanks for the congrats to Stephanie. It's cool that you follow Lee on FB. You'll love his book(s). Also, he has a weekly 15 minute podcast that is fantastic. It's the perfect length for my commute to work. I highly recommend it. Not to give any spoilers away, because I hinted about it in the intro. But sent him an email a week before we left and asked if he'd be willing to meet me for coffee. And he said yes!!!! It was awesome chatting with him. Stay tuned for the scoop :-)

Thanks for the condolences on our Disney trip. It was so hard and I am really torn about it. With the actual day coming up in 2 days I know I may be a little sad esp since that is my birthday and to get to spend it at DW is amazing. Here in CA the kids don't get out of school till sometimes the 2nd week of June but things switched around this year and their last day is tomorrow (the 2nd) so we were going to leave bright and early on the 3rd and I was going to get to spend the evening at the springs and have dinner at some place fun. We had wanted Fultons but heard about the rehab and then changed to Capts grill I think it is called at Yacht club. Would have been fun but such is life. I honestly haven't been too upset because of the weather and such and we are super excited about our road trip but it is still always hard when the day comes that you "would have left". But it's all good. I just wish we had another trip planned which would make it easier to swallow but I told my mom my FAVE time of year is fall and Food and Wine and I don't want to go back till we can go at that time. Nothing is certain and since both my girls are in HS it could be a LONG time before we can make that happen. Neither of them can miss school for that long and since we are from CA I don't want to go unless we can spend at least 10 days. That is 6 park days and 2 at Universal. That is a bare min for us. We also had wanted to go to TL. Since they will be in college though I told mom it may mean going over their winter break since colleges get a MUCH longer break than HS or going with out them god forbid LOL.

My mom is a realtor and her company is based out of New Jersey and they had their annual meeting in Orlando last Nov. Ironic right. She wanted to try to make it happen but again with her surgery and all it was just too much. I don't know if they go back to the same places but maybe that will work out someday. This year they are talking vegas which is ok. It's close to home and I have only been once in 97 so want to go back.

We are super excited about our road trip though and thanks for the info. We are pretty booked up each day as we are moving from state to state but I am glad to hear they have a disney outlet. I will make sure and check THAT out!!!

I will for sure let you know what we thought of Dollywood and the other spots. I wish I was good at doing TR's but not sadly LOL.

Look forward to your next update!!

I can relate to you being torn about it. Three years ago, I broke my foot and a week before we were set to drive to Disneyland, the doctor informed me that I needed surgery and that it couldn't wait. And that I had to cancel the trip. I was so bummed out!!!! But we shifted priorities and rescheduled that trip for last summer. I think last summer's version was way better than our original plans. So in some ways, it worked out for the better. Here's to hoping that your next WDW visit turns out for the better too!

Day 2 - Sunday, May 22 - Arriving in Florida

Day 2! Our plan for today was to get on the road around 8am, drive to Orlando, stop at the International and Vineland outlet malls (visiting the Disney outlets is usually a must do on our trips!), and then make our way over to Marriott Village for one night at the Fairfield Inn (before heading to the Boardwalk Inn for the rest of the week.)

Anyway, starting the morning off at the LaQuinta.... So while the rest of the crew was having breakfast in the lobby (I really hate those hotel continental breakfasts), I finished loading up the car and snapped a shot of the hotel.

A few minutes later, we were on the road, precisely at 8:09am. Not bad, since we hadn't adjusted to the Eastern time zone yet.

A little while later, we passed through Atlanta. Quite a few cars for a Sunday morning, but we encountered the least Atlanta traffic ever on this particular morning!

The drive through Georgia was pretty smooth and uneventful, which is a good thing… but not a lot of stories to tell. Except for a few miles before the Florida state line, we stopped for gas and they had a hot boiled peanut stand.

I mentioned before in the Rock City section, that I grew up visiting my grandparents in Charleston, SC. Every time we visited, my dad would go out of his way to pick up boiled peanuts from road side stands. As a kid, I hated those things!!! But sometime about 15 years ago, my taste buds changed and I grew to love them. So I was beyond excited to get a bag on this trip.

Yum!!!

Before we knew it, we were in Florida. Yahoo!!!!!!

We ALWAYS make a point to stop at the Florida welcome center! But this was our first time having a picnic lunch there.

We took a few minutes to enjoy the rest of the peanuts and eat our sandwiches. And then we headed over to the Florida sign, which is now a classic for us.

And going inside to get our orange juice samples!

Knowing that we'd be driving off and on the Florida Turnpike a few times during this trip, and that we'd be back to Florida two or three times next year, we decided to go ahead and purchase a Sun Pass. It's about $5 and has a chip on it that's linked to an electronic account. You pre-load funds into the account, and then when you pass the toll plazas, you just keep on driving. Apparently it's a little cheaper, but more importantly, you don't have to deal with lines and finding change and/or turnpike tickets.

You purchase the pass from a vending machine outside, and then you bring it inside to register an account with a real person. While Stephanie waited in line for all that, the kids and I goofed around for a few minutes…

Some sort of interactive photo machine…

And finally, Pickle had fun exploring the map on the floor. Pretending like she was driving from our current location to Orlando. Stop!

A couple minutes later, we were ready to get on the road again. But first, a photo with the Dolphin.

And then a couple more hours later, we arrived in Orlando!!!

For those of you who usually fly or don't have a car to get around, there are two outlet malls within 20 or 30 minutes of Disney. The north one is called, Orlando International Premium Outlets. It's up north closer to Universal.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/orlando-international

The second one is called, Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets. It's just a couple miles from Disney Springs.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/orlando-vineland

The thing is, is that they both have Disney outlets. And these aren't outlets for the Disney Store's that are scattered around the country, these are outlets for the theme parks!!! They can be hit or miss, but we've ended up with some great finds through the years, so we always make a point to stop.

So yeah, pulling in the first shopping area, we decided to stop at the old Artegon mall across the street. This seems to be a failed and then revitalized mall. We've stopped here for Fuddruckers and Ron Jon's Surf Shop before, but never really went inside. Today, the inside is more like a flea market or something for independent retailers. Lot's of booths (but much fancier than a flea market) with cool stuff. You can see one example in the background of the photo below, with the Wild Florida Honey. Anyway, we came here to hit their food court for an early dinner.

I forgot what it was called (U-Roll or something like that), but they had a sushi bar that was sort of like a Chipotle where you pick a platform (rice bowl or nori sheet), one or more proteins, and then veggies and toppings. Each roll was between $6 and $8, so not bad.

Pickle went first and she made something like a California roll (crab, carrots, asparagus, and avocado.)

She loved it!

Princess made something with spicy tuna, avocado, crab, some random veggies, and topped with eel sauce and sesame seeds. (Top right in the photo below.) She loved hers too!

I had tuna and salmon, with avocado and mango, topped with a Hawaiian mango sauce. (Second from left.) It was good enough, but I think the nori was stale as it was a bit tough to chew.

And finally, Stephanie had crab, avocado, mango, and maybe another veggie or two. Hers was topped with the Hawiian and some other clear sauce. (bottom left.) She enjoyed hers as well, so I must have been odd man out.

What about Buddy? He's not a big sushi fan, so he headed over to the pizza joint. It was something like a Mod Pizza where you build your own, but he just wanted pepperoni. He liked it too.

Something interesting is this cool ropes/obstacle course up above the food court area. Looks like fun, but maybe some other time...

We stopped at the Ron Jon Surf Shop on the way back to the car. Cool stuff, but overpriced.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter