We're coming to London in July!!!

We're back from London! Thank you for all the help! The trip was fantastic! Weather was great, although some Londoner's were complaining about the heat. We were there July 9-18, and temps were in the low 70s and minimal humidity. The last 2 days, it was in the low 80s and low humidity. The oyster card was very handy. I purchased the London Pass, and saved over 40 pounds doing this. Oh the places we went! Globe Theater, Southwark Cathedral, Harrods, Westminster Abbey, Royal Mews, walk past Buckingham Palace (the day Cameron resigned and May took over), Selfridges, Hamley's (lot of fun with their hawkers....thanks for the recommendation!), Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Oxford Street, hop-on-hop-off bus, London Eye, Tower of London, tour of Tower Bridge, City Tours boat ride to Greenwich, standing on the Prime Meridian, day trip to the Cotswolds, Hampton Court, Windsor Castle, 221B Baker Street, Kings Cross Station, and we did a LOT of walking. My Pop kept up with no problem. DD20 was the one who got tired. :confused3 Pop, DD20, DS19, and I went touring during the day and came back to the hotel around 5:00 or so to get DH for dinner. Southwark was a great location for doing things (we were right near the Tate Modern), but lousy for food. We had luck going to the Covent Garden and Leicester Square tube station areas for dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed my tea :lovestruc I am a tea drinker and have resorted to carrying my own tea bags in the US. I was heavenly to order a cup (really, a pot!) of tea and it was so tasty!!!

ETA....We got caught up in some story telling at the Tower of London. It was a lot of fun....history mixed with humor. I particularly like the knight. We saw some of this story telling at Hampton Court, but it was all inside and harder to maneuver with the large crowd. We did manage to see jousting at Hampton Court....a lot of fun and some cringing on my part when the lances splintered and went flying. I must say that I struggled to keep my mouth shut when they were announcing the knights. They all had normal names as this was a legitimate reenactment, but I had a Monty Python commentary running through my head with all their silly knight names. I tried not to giggle. :rolleyes:

Thank you for all your help!!! :thanks:

Last edited:
Wow! You did so much and were very lucky with the weather.

I have been wondering whether your trip had started. Thanks for letting us know how you got on, I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

P.S. Monty Python often jumps into my mind at inappropriate moments too.

You sound as though you had a great time. I was in London the week before and I agree the weather was great. I love going to London for a few days (I live in the North of UK) but always return home exhausted as I do so much and walk so far but its a fab city

The weather was great! The Tube was warmer than above ground, but nothing extreme. I could see how it would be extremely uncomfortable if the temperatures were higher. We averaged 6-7 miles a day walking, but logged over 10 miles one day! That day, we started at a woolen store by the British History Museum, walked to Oxford Circus, down Regent Street, into Hamleys and Austen Reed (which is closed...bummer...I liked their ladies clothes), through Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square. We went back to the hotel to get DH for dinner and ended up in Covent Station for dinner.

I wanted to add my thanks as well. DD and I returned about a week ago and had an absolutely amazing trip. I truly appreciate all of the advice offered here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter