We're coming to London in July!!!

Harrods was sold a few years ago to a Qatar investment company.

I agree Hampton Court is very easy to get to. Waterloo and Hampton Court stations are both terminus stations so you can't miss your stop :)

I posted this link on someone else's question. It's got some interesting cheap stuff to do.
http://www.londonforfree.net/

Not long now :)

American just back from two weeks and change in London ... with a side visit to Liverpool thrown in.

As someone else mentioned, the museums are your best value as most are free. The British Museum is so cram packed with stuff to gawp at that you could spend 2 full days there. The Victoria and Albert Museum is a favorite of mine ... more quirky and Victorian era specific, but terrific.

You mentioned the London Eye ... know that the tickets for this are stupid expensive, but it IS an awesome 30 minutes or so. The crowds will surge and shrink during the day for this, so don't be put off by a big line. Go have a pint or an ice cream and give it an hour.

Harrods is a particular highlight for my family as Harrod is our family name ... no connection obviously as the store is owned by the Fayeds. Still, it's a wonder of the modern world, that place. My tip, unless you REALLY want to pay London prices for a specific luxury item, is to pick up the store guide (yes, you'll probably need it to navigate) and head for the in-store gift shop. They have their Harrods branded keepsakes there. Then go to the Egyptian Escalator and find something yummy in the food halls and get out before you spend too much.

Oyster cards for Americans ... easy peasy, really. The street entrance level of any Underground or Overground station will have kiosks where you get get and load up an Oyster Card. We used the tube pretty much exclusively during our trip and budgeted 10 pounds a day per person. You can load that up and then check the balance as you go. Topping up is as easy as getting the card in the first place. Those cards get you on under and over ground trains and buses. Also note that there are several apps for Iphone or Android that feature London Tube maps and travel information. I fond one of those to be quite helpful. If you have time before your trip, you can go ahead and order Visitor Oyster Cards before you go. All the info is here ... http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/oyster#k6GpxHzeUBypScl5.97

For budget purposes, know that the big ticket churches and the like charge 15-20 pounds per head with no family discounts if everyone is an adult. Westminster and St Pauls are worth every penny to me, but that's me. At that price do your own research ahead of time and see if it's worth it to you. Most big attractions have relatively informative websites these days.

Also ... EVERYthing is NYC level expensive and the exchange rate isn't helping matters. Remember that if you're on a budget.

Thanks for all this! I was a history major, so I can't wait to get to London!!! :cool1: We purchased the London Pass to help bypass some of the lines at popular locations and spread the cost over time, and we plan on getting the Oyster card for travel. I can't wait to go to Harrods! The food halls and the toy floor are 2 things I want to see. (Yes, I know...grown adult wanting to go to the toy floor. It's the only place I've seen a Steif on display! ::yes::) The London Eye is for my kids. I'll hand off the camera and be the one at the bottom holding bags. :upsidedow We're from NJ so we know NYC expensive.... C'est la vie.

Harrods was sold a few years ago to a Qatar investment company.

I agree Hampton Court is very easy to get to. Waterloo and Hampton Court stations are both terminus stations so you can't miss your stop :)

I posted this link on someone else's question. It's got some interesting cheap stuff to do.
http://www.londonforfree.net/

Not long now :)
Thank you!

Still a great city though ;)

The Oyster card can be used on the bus too :)

Outstanding ... the equal of any in the world in terms of being a terrific place to visit. I personally prefer my cities a bit smaller though ... so I'm partial to Edinburgh, Liverpool and Dublin.

Thanks for all this! I was a history major, so I can't wait to get to London!!! :cool1: We purchased the London Pass to help bypass some of the lines at popular locations and spread the cost over time, and we plan on getting the Oyster card for travel. I can't wait to go to Harrods! The food halls and the toy floor are 2 things I want to see. (Yes, I know...grown adult wanting to go to the toy floor. It's the only place I've seen a Steif on display! ::yes::) The London Eye is for my kids. I'll hand off the camera and be the one at the bottom holding bags. :upsidedow We're from NJ so we know NYC expensive.... C'est la vie.

If you are interested in the toy floor you need to visit Hamleys on Regent Street - the oldest toy shop in the world with 7 floors full of toys

http://www.hamleys.com

Joining in! My DD14 and I will be visiting London the same time as the OP (and we're from NJ, too!). We are so excited for our trip! I'm loving all of the advice and suggestions on this thread. We're staying in Kensington and will be relying on public transportation. I'm too nervous to attempt to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. :)

We'll be in the UK for two weeks total, and I'm still working on plans for the second week. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, so I'd love to go to Cardiff. And we need to wind up our trup in Glasgow, as we're flying home from there.

Joining in! My DD14 and I will be visiting London the same time as the OP (and we're from NJ, too!). We are so excited for our trip! I'm loving all of the advice and suggestions on this thread. We're staying in Kensington and will be relying on public transportation. I'm too nervous to attempt to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. :)

We'll be in the UK for two weeks total, and I'm still working on plans for the second week. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, so I'd love to go to Cardiff. And we need to wind up our trup in Glasgow, as we're flying home from there.

How exciting for you.

Using buses and the tube around London is easy with an oyster card (buses won't take cash and the tube charges a lot more for paper tickets)
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

How are you planning to travel to Cardiff and Glasgow? If you are going to use trains then buying tickets on the day of travel can be very expensive. (You might find a Britrail pass works out to be better value for you. http://www.britrail.com/)

More questions!!! My Pop would like to take a day trip out of London to see the countryside. I've been looking online and it appears that Bath and Stonehenge are popular. DH and I have been to both those places, and I have no desire to see them again. The trip that looks interesting is Leeds Castle, Cantebury, and Dover. I've been to Leeds and Cantebury, but not Dover. Any of the reviews I've seen are so mixed, with almost everyone saying that the stop in Dover is a quick picture opportunity and that Dover is run down. We're watching Foyle's War, and thought Dover would be cool. The Cottswolds also pop up, but I'm not terribly familiar with that region. We really wanted to do a Midsomer Murder tour. Pop and I have watch 15 seasons of episodes and love the filming locations. Unfortunately, they only offer 1 tour in July and it's the day we land.

We plan on visiting Windsor and Hampton Palace on our own.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Leeds Castle isn't in Leeds, it's near Maidstone in Kent. So if you have been to the city of Leeds you may not have seen the castle.

Dover has a castle http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dover-castle/ but if you've visited the other places on the tour already I would choose somewhere different this time.

The Cotswolds are a range of hills in the south/centre of England. They are very beautiful and the whole area is a conservation area which means there are strict building regulations and most of the houses have been built in the local honey coloured stone. There are lots of pubs, tea rooms and antique shops. If you could combine it with a visit to Blenheim Palace (where Winston Churchill was born) , Oxford or Warwick Castle then I think it would make a great day out.

Do make good use of the audio guides at Windsor Castle and Hampton Court. There are also costumed guides at Hampton Court and interesting little dramas so do check the daily guide sheet that you will be given. (We've often spent 5 or 6 hours at Hampton Court even though we have visited lots of times as it only takes us 10 minutes to get there.)

If you are travelling by train you may be able to get cheap entry into Hampton Court (I'm not sure if it works with an Oyster Card ticket but it's probably worth researching) https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Leeds Castle isn't in Leeds, it's near Maidstone in Kent. So if you have been to the city of Leeds you may not have seen the castle.

Dover has a castle http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dover-castle/ but if you've visited the other places on the tour already I would choose somewhere different this time.

The Cotswolds are a range of hills in the south/centre of England. They are very beautiful and the whole area is a conservation area which means there are strict building regulations and most of the houses have been built in the local honey coloured stone. There are lots of pubs, tea rooms and antique shops. If you could combine it with a visit to Blenheim Palace (where Winston Churchill was born) , Oxford or Warwick Castle then I think it would make a great day out.

Do make good use of the audio guides at Windsor Castle and Hampton Court. There are also costumed guides at Hampton Court and interesting little dramas so do check the daily guide sheet that you will be given. (We've often spent 5 or 6 hours at Hampton Court even though we have visited lots of times as it only takes us 10 minutes to get there.)

If you are travelling by train you may be able to get cheap entry into Hampton Court (I'm not sure if it works with an Oyster Card ticket but it's probably worth researching) https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Thank you! I'm sorry about the confusion with Leeds/Leeds Castle....we've been to Leeds Castle. I'll have to look a little closer at the Cotswolds tours. We purchased the London Pass, so we already have entry to Hampton Court and Windsor Castle.

Congrats!! London is one of my all time most favorite cities!!!

But is your daughter OK with being at a college program and missing London??? I'm not sure I would be.

Congrats!! London is one of my all time most favorite cities!!!

But is your daughter OK with being at a college program and missing London??? I'm not sure I would be.

When we first announced the trip at dinner, she did a double take as she realized where she would be. In the next breath, she asked if she could come to Paris instead (DH has a trip to Paris in August for the same client). A quick thinker, that one! So, we discussed it and said she could come to Paris. DS15 was also supposed to go to London with us. About 2 weeks after the announcement, he asked if he could switch cities. We said yes, but he would have to check with my mom and sister first to see if they could watch him while we were gone. My mom said yes, and now he's coming with us to Paris as well. So, the older kids get London and the younger ones get Paris. Not a bad life!!! If it wasn't for DH's business travel, neither of these trips would be a consideration.

How exciting for you.

Using buses and the tube around London is easy with an oyster card (buses won't take cash and the tube charges a lot more for paper tickets)
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

How are you planning to travel to Cardiff and Glasgow? If you are going to use trains then buying tickets on the day of travel can be very expensive. (You might find a Britrail pass works out to be better value for you. http://www.britrail.com/)

Thank you! I've been debating whether an Oyster Card or a Travelcard. The latter has a special where you can get free admission for a second person at certain attractions, museums, etc., so I'm looking into that to see if it covers what we want to visit.

I am planning to take the train and purchase tickets ahead of time for Cardiff and Glasgow. I will definitely look in to Britrail.

As wonderful as the transportation options are, there are so very many of them!

If the toy floor at Harrods interests you then you should also,check out Hamleys https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamleys :)

There is so much to do in London and it is all within easy walking distance just get a good map/GPS app, as there are so many short cuts and nooks and crannies. where you will always see something quirky.

So much free stuff as well, Carnaby Street is a must, all the museums and The South Bank is awesome they normally have a festival going on with loads of outside free theater.

my favorite walk in London is getting off the train at Waterloo (One Stop from Vauxhall) walking to the Royal Festival Hall, walking along the south bank taking in all the sights, Tate modern, the globe, borough Market (where I stop for Lunch and a on-Tap glass of Fizz) then carry on walking past HMS Belfast, the London Assembly building then across London Bridge to the Tower of London.

Honestly a great way to spend a day in London

We are trying the Harry Potter studio tour this trip too. its takes a few hours tho!

I just booked a day tour to the Cotswolds. The trip is coming up quickly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter