Welcome To The Caribbean, Love ~ Updated 5-27 P52

I love your ADR's. I am debating if I should change my Biergarten (dh's request) to Coral Reef. I know Lexi would love it. I did follow your example and book a late breakfast at Chef Mickey's for one of our non-park days. You are going to have a wonderfully relaxing vacation.

Your ADR's look great! Your trip sounds like it's going to be so relaxing! :goodvibes I really have to try a Pina Colava someday!

Kat, sorry I've been missing. Between the holidays, my birthday, having my "baby" home for only five days before he had to go back to college, making our ressies for this year's trip (yes, I have a ticker), I'm behind on all my threads. But it looks as if I didn't miss much on yours.

Nope, I'm behind on the DIS as well! :lmao:

Your newest post made me teary eyed and made me think of my dad. It sounds like you are doing better and your plans for Disney sound great. The first time we went to Disney after I lost my dad was very hard, but the last two trips have been a little easier. Our oldest son got us tickets to see George Strait and Reba McEntire (this was mine and DH's birthday gifts). Dad's favorite performer in all of the world was George Strait and I plan to go in there and enjoy George's music and think of my dad with a smile on my face.

Love your ADR's...we LOVE Biergarten.

If you get bored, the guys (led by "that's nice") pressured me to start a PTR.

I'm glad you're at such a good place when you think of your Dad. That's something that I aspire to and am just starting to feel in regard to my mom.

I'm definitely going to check out your PTR! :thumbsup2

I love your super relaxed take on this vacation. :goodvibes

I'm loving it too! I just have to make sure I'm organized enough to know what time to get to the airport! :lmao:

Love your ADRs, and I know your mom would want you to continue enjoying those restaurants! :hug:

I think so too.

I get giddy-happy everytime I see our park plans intersect! :laughing:

Oh, I'm glad you're so excited! I am, too. I always get a little worried about DIS meets, because I never want to infringe on someone's family time, you know? But you've been so enthusiastic about meeting with us, and I am SO looking forward to meeting up with you and meeting the kids, that I just can't wait! :goodvibes

I love that you're so relaxed about this trip. Sometimes, it's not about the rushing from one thing to another, but just about being in the moment.

It's wonderful that Nemo is now old enough to help plan the trip. That must be so much fun!

Love all of your ADR choices. Coral Reef is just so beautiful. And it definitely keeps kids entertained.

It is so great that Nemo is old enough to understand it and express his desires for the trip.

And yes, I am all about restaurants that keep the kids entertained! I never thought I would appreciate that quite so much, but I do! :lmao:

I love your ADR's. I am debating if I should change my Biergarten (dh's request) to Coral Reef. I know Lexi would love it. I did follow your example and book a late breakfast at Chef Mickey's for one of our non-park days. You are going to have a wonderfully relaxing vacation.

I have a funny story for you. On my last trip with my mom, I actually walked through Biergarten to use their restroom, and I had to walk right past their buffet. Well, I've never really been partial to that restaurant, and haven't eaten there since I was a kid. But, I was pregnant at the time, and you know how everything is different when you're pregnant, tastes, smells, etc. OMG, did that buffet smell so super good to me at the time!!! :lmao:

Your ADR's look great! Your trip sounds like it's going to be so relaxing! :goodvibes I really have to try a Pina Colava someday!

You do need to try a Pina CoLava, they are super good! :goodvibes

I tend to worry that I'm sounding too preachy, when in all reality, I just want to share my newfound wisdom with the world. Even though I think the things I'm talking about are sometimes the kinds of things we have to learn through experience, if I could spare anyone my pain by sharing what I'm dealing with, then I am all for it. :thumbsup2

GREAT ADR lineup.

Thanks! I'm rather excited about it.

I absolutely love Coral Reef. We've eaten there three times. Twice for dinner and on my solo trip for lunch. It is absolutely a wonderful location, I've always had excellent service, and the perfect entertainment for kids.

I hope ya'll get a seat by the tank.

Kat I think you have a great handle on what type of trip you want for your first time back and I think its going to be a great trip!!!

You have some great ADRs!! Nemo is going to love Coral Reef!!!!!

Glad you have had time with your boys!!! All this talk of being snowed in, makes me wish I lived further north, well for a minute or two LOL :rotfl:

I have a funny story for you. On my last trip with my mom, I actually walked through Biergarten to use their restroom, and I had to walk right past their buffet. Well, I've never really been partial to that restaurant, and haven't eaten there since I was a kid. But, I was pregnant at the time, and you know how everything is different when you're pregnant, tastes, smells, etc. OMG, did that buffet smell so super good to me at the time!!! :lmao:

I am going to keep it. My dh's only request was that we eat at places that served food we couldn't get here at home and Biergarten is one of those places. I will let you know how it is when I return. :goodvibes

I absolutely love Coral Reef. We've eaten there three times. Twice for dinner and on my solo trip for lunch. It is absolutely a wonderful location, I've always had excellent service, and the perfect entertainment for kids.

I hope ya'll get a seat by the tank.

I would love to sit by the tank! I doubt we will, though, because those tend to be tables of 2 and 4, and we are a definitely 5. Well, four + a highchair, but that highchair has to take up some room! :lmao:

That would be awesome though, I could always ask and see what happens. Can't hurt. :thumbsup2

Kat I think you have a great handle on what type of trip you want for your first time back and I think its going to be a great trip!!!

You have some great ADRs!! Nemo is going to love Coral Reef!!!!!

Glad you have had time with your boys!!! All this talk of being snowed in, makes me wish I lived further north, well for a minute or two LOL :rotfl:

No. You don't want to live further north.

Trust me. As MJS and I were watching an episode of House Hunters yesterday in which you got SO much more bang for your buck in the south, I just about cried over what you can get here for the same price. :confused3

I am going to keep it. My dh's only request was that we eat at places that served food we couldn't get here at home and Biergarten is one of those places. I will let you know how it is when I return. :goodvibes

I'd love for you to be my guinea pig! Keep it, I say! :lmao:

Since Nemo is helping with the planning, have you checked out Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids? My nephew loves reading it with me and picking our must-do rides for each park. I'm also planning on ordering Guide to the Magic for Kids. I'll see how it likes it.

Yum, yum, yum!!!! You are making my stomach growl!!! :)

Such a lovely , heartfelt update! I tried to go back and find a quote from it that reall stood out as something that really stood out, but it was all so poignant. I"m so glad you're sounding like you're turning a corner. That makes me very happy!

TK, I hope you are doing well and are enjoying winter. ;)

I digress. Anyway, the week before Christmas was a huge turning point for me. I really didn't want to go through the holiday. Period. At. All. My mother always started her Christmas shopping on December 26th, savvy? She would purchase things as she found them, well in advance, so suffice it to say, Nemo and Squirt both had presents that were purchased by my mother this year. As I was wrapping the presents for Squirt, this feeling just came over me. Suddenly, I was happy to be wrapping these gifts. I was enjoying the moment. I was even happy that Christmas was coming.

It was that quick, my emotional shift. I'll tell you flat out that I think the spirit of my mother touched me in that moment and let me know that it was okay. And as my therapist has often said, "you can miss your mother and be happy about the holiday or about becoming who you are without her. They're not mutually exclusive emotions." And she's right. I can miss her, and I can be sad, and hold that in my heart while continuing on and being happy for what I do have.

I posted on Facebook Christmas or the day after, "Knowing what I've lost makes me grateful for what I have."
I don't know what to say except these few paragraphs made me smile. I am so glad you are feeling better. Now you know that you need to be the best mom you can be for your kids and to keep your mothers spirit alive in you and them.:goodvibes

I love your ADRs...except for the Brown Derby. For some reason that restaurant just doesn't appeal to me. :confused3 I am so glad you decided to keep CMs!

Having that relaxed, go with the flow attitude about the trip is awesome. It will be easier for you-and the kiddos, I'm sure! Plus, you can just savor each and every moment, no matter how simple they are and not be worried about having to get somewhere or do something. :thumbsup2

I may have wanted it longer, that's for sure, but I am lucky that I had it at all.

Wise, wise words.

Your ADRs sound wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the Chef Mickey's breakfast we have planned on our upcoming trip. We did dinner with them 2 years ago and had such a magical time with the characters - and BREAKFAST FOOD (my favorite) and I don't think I'll ever want to leave! :rolleyes1 :goodvibes

I've been off the boards for a bit but am back a caught up.

It sounds like the trip ended up when, where and how it should be and you really sound more at peace with it and everything in recent posts. :hug:

Looking forward to more planning or non-planning - whatever the case may be!

Yum! Your ADRs look wonderful! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I will try to make it over to your PTR, I'm very excited about baby girl's first trip! :goodvibes

Since Nemo is helping with the planning, have you checked out Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids? My nephew loves reading it with me and picking our must-do rides for each park. I'm also planning on ordering Guide to the Magic for Kids. I'll see how it likes it.

Let me know what he thinks of it, and thanks for the idea!:thumbsup2

I will be your guinea pig. I would have felt guilty if I had cancelled it because the only 2 places my dh requested are Sci-Fi and Biergarten.

Your daughter will love Sci Fi! It is sooo much fun. :thumbsup2

Yum, yum, yum!!!! You are making my stomach growl!!! :)

Mine, too. I'm so excited to be having all this food! Especially beause I know I'll be well taken care of with my milk allergy, and maybe even get to have dessert too! LOL

Such a lovely , heartfelt update! I tried to go back and find a quote from it that reall stood out as something that really stood out, but it was all so poignant. I"m so glad you're sounding like you're turning a corner. That makes me very happy!

Thanks. I still have some down days, but overall, I'm doing a lot better.

TK, I hope you are doing well and are enjoying winter. ;)

We've got another snow day today! :lmao:

I don't know what to say except these few paragraphs made me smile. I am so glad you are feeling better. Now you know that you need to be the best mom you can be for your kids and to keep your mothers spirit alive in you and them.:goodvibes

I love your ADRs...except for the Brown Derby. For some reason that restaurant just doesn't appeal to me. :confused3 I am so glad you decided to keep CMs!

Oh, I am so going to have to figure out how to get you to the Brown Derby. You're missing out, my friend.

I'm glad we're going to CM's too! It's such a tradition, I really had to keep it.

Having that relaxed, go with the flow attitude about the trip is awesome. It will be easier for you-and the kiddos, I'm sure! Plus, you can just savor each and every moment, no matter how simple they are and not be worried about having to get somewhere or do something. :thumbsup2

Exactly! :thumbsup2

Your ADRs sound wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the Chef Mickey's breakfast we have planned on our upcoming trip. We did dinner with them 2 years ago and had such a magical time with the characters - and BREAKFAST FOOD (my favorite) and I don't think I'll ever want to leave! :rolleyes1 :goodvibes

Love, love, love breakfast food. I'm totally with you on that one.

I've been off the boards for a bit but am back a caught up.

It sounds like the trip ended up when, where and how it should be and you really sound more at peace with it and everything in recent posts. :hug:

Looking forward to more planning or non-planning - whatever the case may be!

Welcome back! :thumbsup2

I do feel better in the recent past.

And am also enjoying the "non-planning" of this trip. :lmao:

Just popping in to say hi and be sure I didn't miss anything. We were out of town this past weekend watching our son coach his high school wrestling team and now I'm catching up on my own PTR and all the others as well.

Just popping in to say hi and be sure I didn't miss anything. We were out of town this past weekend watching our son coach his high school wrestling team and now I'm catching up on my own PTR and all the others as well.

Hi, hon! Nope. :lmao: You haven't missed anything, although I should have a "real life" update coming up shortly. There's been a lot brewing (in a good way) in the TK household that I haven't really been sharing on here, and I have some pretty good news.

And if that's not cryptic enough... :rotfl2:

Oh, who am I kidding? I am the queen of making a long story a long story. Which is probably why you all like my writing so much. I can't help myself! :lmao:

I haven't really wanted to talk about this too much on the DIS until it came to fruition, but here's my big news.

Yesterday, DH and I signed the contract to buy our first home! :scared1::scared1::scared1:

For those of you who don't know, the lovely little TK clan which has now grown into the lovely little TK clan with two children, lives in a two bedroom apartment. And although we can continue here, and by no stretch is it an impossible feat to have the boys share a bedroom, we have been looking at houses.

I don't even know where to start really.

Gosh, it's such a saga.

Okay, we went to look at this house a few weeks ago. Then we went back with my uncle (who does painting, and has construction knowledge). Then we thought about it, and decided to put in a lowball offer. It's a home that could be beautiful but has never been updated. It was built in the 70s and everything...and I mean everything...is original. Appliances, shag carpet, wood paneling in the basement.

It's retro.

Don't hate. :rotfl2:

Anyway, it needs a lot of work, and there are a few maintenance things we're worried about (that will come out in an inspection) so we lowballed it. And they came back so high that we got emotional and just decided to walk.

Fast forward a few weeks later and I can't stop thinking about the house. Not obsessively, just in the back of my mind. There's a little voice that's saying, this is your house, Kat.

So I mention offhand to our realtor that I've been thinking about it and what's going on?

Funny you should mention it, she says. The listing agent called me yesterday and wants to know if you're interested.

Oh ho ho! Now the ball is in our court! :thumbsup2

We came up a little bit on our offer. They came down a little bit on theirs. Then they threw in "as is."

'Scuse me?

This wasn't part of the original listing, and basically the sellers were saying, if you find things to be done in the inspection, we're not doing them. Now DH and I are fairly certain we know what's wrong with this house, and we are having a home inspection done, so it was really, do we think we can afford this price and those repairs, never mind ripping out the shag carpet and a fresh coat of paint, savvy?

Well, we had some thinking to do. So we slept on it. And when we woke up, I called my realtor and said, I just need one more day. I wanted to further research some financing with a different bank, since the broker I've been dealing with is pretty high on his closing costs.

Who knew my financial searching would translate to the buyer as hesitation? ;)

Yesterday, my realtor called. The listing agent contacted her, and here's the deal. They'll give it to us at a lower price, and they'll do any reasonable repairs. I probably should have mentioned that this house has been on the market for almost two years. They had two other offers that fell through because the buyers were contingent on selling their own homes, and they didn't. Since we rent, and have no such attachments, we look pretty attractive to them right now, savvy?

Apparently, they didn't want let us go! So now, MJS and I are getting a house for what we really wanted to pay / felt it was worth, and they're going to do reasonable repairs!!!!

Let me tell you about the power of positive thinking. For the past couple of days, I had been repeating to myself, and putting it out there in the universe, "this is my house and it's going to work out. This is my house and it's going to work out."

So now, it's changed to, "this is my house and the inspection will be fine. This is my house and the inspection will be fine."

Last night, we signed the offer, and they signed back. We have, officially, bought our first home (on paper).

I don't want to talk too much about how great the house is until after it's inspected, but suffice it to say it's more than we ever thought we could afford in a neighborhood I adore that I never thought I'd be able to live in.

And we owe it all to my mom.

It's the money she left me that is helping to enable this purchase. Without her, I wouldn't be where I am, and I am so grateful.

If all goes as planned, we'll be closing on the house at the end of March and moving in the beginning of April. I'd like to do something to honor her, and someone suggested if we plant a tree, which I think is a great idea. Something pretty, something that flowers...I know she'd really like that. It almost makes me want to cry to know that she can't physically be there, even though I feel like she is so pulling for us right now. She really has become my angel, and you know, it reminds me of that conversation in Steel Magnolias where Darryl Hannah's character says, and I for one, feel much better knowing that she's up there on my side.

My mother was a force of nature, and I am sure glad she's on my side. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter