weird bathroom question

ThreeBeans said:
I started holding her over the adult toilet when she was a few weeks old. And helping her sit on the little pot when she was....4-5 months, I think?

She can sit independently now but it hasn't been for that long.

SUPER MOM:). That's very impressive!

DD trained young too. We didn't bring anything with us...just kind of held on to her and balanced so she wouldn't fall in!

But watch out for the mega loud and wet flush...the sensor doesn't always "see" that there is a little one still sitting there. DD wasn't thrilled with that.

Are you a stay at home parent? How are other family members with this training? How often does an infant go the bathroom, anyways? Seems like you'd have to be pretty much tied down to being at home, or dragging a plastic potty with you, etc. How much time do you have between bathroom trips? Or do you have the baby with you 24/7? Doesn't she pee in her sleep, when she was just a month or so old, anyways?

Obviously this works for you and your family, I'm just trying to picture what a day is like.

LOL, I probably sound like a right nutter, don't I?

It wasn't something I 'did' on purpose, nor did I train her. I sort of held her over the toilet when she was a few weeks old on a lark, and she went, probably because a newborn will go every few seconds anyhow :thumbsup2

So for a while I just held her over the toilet at each diaper change, (just for a few seconds, mind you, not for an extended period of time). It cut down on laundry, so no bigs.

They don't bother with it at daycare and she's quite happy and content there, but at home, if she needs to go and we haven't brought her there (every few hours, I guess? About as frequently as you'd be changing them anyway) she starts to fuss and get anxious and distressed. If her diaper gets wet or soiled she gets positively furious.

She'll usually stay dry during naps and stay that way until she's brought to her potty. At night she does not stay dry, nor am I particularly inclined to bring her to the bathroom every two hours, nights are bad enough as it is :crazy2:

It's not a 'thing', nor is it something I'm married to. It just seems to work for her, makes her happy, it's cute, and it cuts down on laundry. Win!

(If the daycare reference didn't make it clear, no, I'm not a stay-at-home parent, although I'm currently on sabbatical till September).

Thank you for the response, and no, I don't think you're a nutter! I just was trying to wrap my head around how to do it, LOL! So, you did it a bit when she was a really little baby, and now she is more comfy dry than wet so she prefers to use the potty. I'm assuming you are using cloth?

OK, and now I have a potty question - when she went in the potty, how did you hold her in a sitting position when she was so tiny? I'd be so scared I'd drop her and she'd get a concussion or land in the toilet bowl! I had a really squirmy, couldn't swaddle, wild firstborn, and she took a few dives off the changing table, little beast that she was.

Can I send my 3 year old to you? Seriously....

My older son was potty trained around 2.5 but this kid is stubborn. He turned 3 last month and has ZERO interest. He just looks at me and says "I'm peeing".

My older son was potty trained around 2.5 but this kid is stubborn. He turned 3 last month and has ZERO interest. He just looks at me and says "I'm peeing".

This reminds me of my DD. She is 31 months and we are potty training now. I had tried to start earlier and she would say no, I use my diaper. For a while, she would tell me right after or right as she was going.

The Friday before last she came home and told me she wanted to wear panties. She had no interest before that. She has been going strong for a week. Too funny. I thought we were never going to train her.

The baby care center at Hollywood Studios has a tiny toilet, maybe 12"-14" tall. The sign on the door says for the use of children ONLY and it's the only toilet in there.

We bought this and used it for my kids...they all began usign the potty around 1 y.o. It worked great! We still have ours in the car...just in case of emergency for my 5 y.o. if we're drivng to FL and are not near a bathroom!

http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-2-in-1-Potette-Plus-Blue/dp/B0016L0MMS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1362427419&sr=8-10&keywords=potty+seat

51Ny1%2Bm49zL._SY450_.jpg

That was my second child, a girl. She has always been a Honey Badger.:headache:

(Protip: she went to preschool in undies. I may have told her that you aren't allowed to learn to read if you go to school in diapers. :stir: )

Thank you for the response, and no, I don't think you're a nutter! I just was trying to wrap my head around how to do it, LOL! So, you did it a bit when she was a really little baby, and now she is more comfy dry than wet so she prefers to use the potty. I'm assuming you are using cloth?

OK, and now I have a potty question - when she went in the potty, how did you hold her in a sitting position when she was so tiny? I'd be so scared I'd drop her and she'd get a concussion or land in the toilet bowl! I had a really squirmy, couldn't swaddle, wild firstborn, and she took a few dives off the changing table, little beast that she was.

When she was a wee little newborn I just held her. She weighed all of five pounds and you know little ones pull their legs up anyway. She won't tolerate that now, she must be seated.

She definitely prefers dry to wet. We use cloth at home, during the day. At night, or if I leave the house for more than two hours, it's Pampers all the way :lmao: (I am what you would call 'lazy' )

The baby care center at Hollywood Studios has a tiny toilet, maybe 12"-14" tall. The sign on the door says for the use of children ONLY and it's the only toilet in there.

Thank you, this is very helpfuL!

We bought this and used it for my kids...they all began usign the potty around 1 y.o. It worked great! We still have ours in the car...just in case of emergency for my 5 y.o. if we're drivng to FL and are not near a bathroom!

http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-2-in-1-Potette-Plus-Blue/dp/B0016L0MMS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1362427419&sr=8-10&keywords=potty+seat

51Ny1%2Bm49zL._SY450_.jpg

Funniest thing, it turned out I OWN this. I must have bought it when my now almost 9 year old was training. I thought we would need it, but he transitioned to underpants in one day and acclimated to public toilets within a few days, so I never opened it. It's survived two moves. I found it in a box all by itself except one single, solitary tub of Vicks Baby Rub that expired seven years ago :lmao:

I second the potette plus. We have one and it is great. We started sitting our son on the potty at 8 months and it has been awesome. He still uses diapers at day care (since they don't have time to take him to the potty constantly). But he has gotten really great at home. Not weird at all. I never carried the potette plus around Disney though. We just decided to use the diapers while we were in the DLR.

Wow! 9 months!!! That's amazing! I really haven't noticed any small kids potties in the park. I have a boy though, we weren't really looking. I would bring a fold up seat cover in a ziplock bag that you can put on seat each time. If the small potties are only in the child care centers it can be a long walk.

There isn't anything amazing about an adult holding a baby over a container to go to the bathroom vs. putting a diaper on the baby. The 9 month old isn't potty trained. It's controlled by an adult. This is pretty common in places like China where diapers are expensive for many people in rural areas.

OP, whatever you do please don't think using a sink in the ladies room is a viable option :crazy2:.

I'd also recommend the Potette plus. Just stick it in your bag/backpack. Good luck!

There isn't anything amazing about an adult holding a baby over a container to go to the bathroom vs. putting a diaper on the baby. The 9 month old isn't potty trained. It's controlled by an adult. This is pretty common in places like China where diapers are expensive for many people in rural areas.

OP, whatever you do please don't think using a sink in the ladies room is a viable option :crazy2:.

Agreed. :thumbsup2

Aw love the picture of your sweet girl!

We did very casual EC with our daughter as well... starting at about 6 days old. Since we used cloth diapers, she was changed every 1-2 hours and at that time we would hold her over a potty or the toilet and she would go everytime. It saved on diaper laundry for sure! Plus as she got older, she would hold it for her 'potty breaks'. We didn't change a poopy diaper for about a year! And she potty trained herself at 18 months. I think it might have been sooner, but she didn't walk until 15 months! ;)

I still put a diaper on her at night because she wants to sleep in a crib (and cant' get out to pee) - She's almost 2.5

LOVE EC and I'll be doing it with the next baby too! It can be just as casual as you describe and not everyone freaking out about taking a baby to pee. Most babies don't want to soil themselves... it's uncomfortable!

I second bringing the Potette plus. We have a foldable potty seat to bring. I usually just hover my daughter over the potty now that she's big. Or maybe bring a collapsible container you could use and then empty into the toilet?

Originally Posted by rizzo0904

I feel your pain. My grand-daughter just now got potty trained and I thought she was going to be 4 years old before I got it done.
She is still 3 but I tried everything Potty Candy... Books .. You name it and this grandma tried it.

I even talked to the doctor about it and she said that she finds that if you use pull-up it takes longer. I never used pull-up for my children and they all were trained by three years old but this isn't my child. So told my daughter about what the doctor said and we bought her panties.

And I find that once she had panties on that she did stop wetting herself, if she went home and her mom used pull-up she would come back to me, wetting her pull up or panties.

I told my daughter this has to stop, we have to have her wearing her panties all the time, I know that its hard when my daughter works 12 hours shift at work and it takes her 1 hour to get to work that it makes a Mommy to tired to want to deal with potty training..
I was very lucky my daughter got really sick with the flu and I kept my grand daughter for 2 whole weeks... So in those two weeks she was finally trained.. She doesn't even wet the bed, so goes to show you that pull up was holding my grand-daughter back.

This doesn't mean that this is the same thing going on with your son, as each child is different. I know that this potty training has nothing to do with us, it has everything to do with a child being ready.

But I just want to let you know that your not the only one that had to deal with this...He will get trained and it may take time... Just some children take longer than others...
But just wanted to let you know about the pull-up...

There is a kid sized toilet in the baby care center at Hollywood Studios. That is the only small toilet I have found in WDW.

Why the sam hill do you think I'd do a disgusting thing like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter