• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weight Watchers Chat -- Part III

phorsenuf said:
The extra weekly points you can skip. The other day I had 14 pints left for the day and I wasn't even hungry, yet I ate good that day. :confused3

That's what my issue is. I replaced all my snacks with 0 point snacks (I'm obsessed with grapes at the moment). I cut coke out of my diet (save for one a day) and I'm trying to cook more instead of the frozen lean cuisines (which still only range from 7-8 points). Should I eat other snacks instead of grapes and other fruit/veggies.

nocomment711 said:
Thanks! I'm struggling to meet points some days, but it's okay if I don't use the extra points they give you per week? It just feels a little counter productive to eat more when I'm not hungry just to use up points.

Dang it! I answered this, but I don't see my reply now! I never use my weekly points, but you do need to use all of your daily points. If you are still having trouble, try eating a small amount every few hours. That will use up points quicker than you think, without making you feel too full at meals .

That's what my issue is. I replaced all my snacks with 0 point snacks (I'm obsessed with grapes at the moment). I cut coke out of my diet (save for one a day) and I'm trying to cook more instead of the frozen lean cuisines (which still only range from 7-8 points). Should I eat other snacks instead of grapes and other fruit/veggies.

It's funny you mention grapes. I eat them all the time now too (on a red grape kick). I think it's because we are so use to snacking on things like chips, pretzels, crackers, etc. that we actually miss the hand to mouth movement. It's like when you quit smoking, it's not just the nicotine you miss but the actions that go along with it.

I've also cut way back on my diet soda consumption. It use to be all I drank, but now I told myself I have to alternate with a bottle of water. Like they've been teaching lately, it's routines (which can also include habits). It takes about 21 days to break a habit, and essentially that is what we are doing, breaking our habit of bad eating.

As for other snack items, I eat cheese sticks, particularly love the Polly-O twists. 17 mini pretzels is low in points. Popcorn can be as well. They are decent additions to all the fruits and veggies.

Almonds are another good one, you just have to weigh them. The ones I eat are roasted without anything on them an they are 5 points per ounce. It is protein, good fat, and pretty filling.

She'll give out kudos for someone that hit their 5 or 10%, or that someone lost 5 pounds, but it's not that raise your hand if you had a loss this week, and then people would share their loss amount. To me (and others) that is very motivating. I suppose I could be carrying my likes from other meetings and should understand that each leader has their own ways, but I really liked my other leaders. :rotfl: I'm too lazy to drive the 30+ minutes for the other meeting. Although that would be a morning meeting which I prefer more. Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

Aha. So it would be like the Phoenix meeting we went to; for me, that wouldn't be extra motivating. But if it's what you're used to, then I can see missing it. The Phoenix meeting members REALLY liked it!

Are meetings worth the extra money? It would be an extra $22 a month to be able to go to meetings, and I've heard mixed reviews.

For me and DH, they are worth it. We have not been able to do it in any way other than going to meetings. Now, to be honest we have never tried doing the etools without the meetings, but I don't think it would work for us. When it's just the two of us, we are far more likely to encourage extra eating...but if we feel the power of our fellow meeting-people behind us, we're much better.

I think I'm gonna see how the first month goes on my own. I'm fairly motivated right now (and sore from my first real workout since high school). If I start struggling, I'll upgrade.

Another question. Will it fail if I eat less points than I'm assigned per day? I have a lot and I don't want to eat for the sake of having points.

Just know that working out at first, or increasing your workouts even once established, can cause *temporary* gains. In order to heal the muscles, the body holds on to water. so an increase in workouts can cause water weight. I try to combat it with drinking extra water, but I'm not always successful. When I started increasing my runs, it happened again. No biggie when you know what's happening and why!

You need to eat your Daily points, YES. But it's up to you if you wish to eat Weeklies and/or Activity points.

At the beginning, people can feel really full. They are LOVING the veggies and the fruits, and they can be really full eating those great foods. Over time, though, many people don't find it to feel as filling as it once did. Heck, DH started at the max points, which I believe is 71, and at first he could barely eat those points. It did not help that he was at a weight where he also needed to eat NINE minimum servings of fruits and veggies. But over time, his stomach got used to it, and he started eating Weeklies (and still lost).

If you're ever in a pinch, and the only info you have about a food is its calories, the very simple calculation is that it's 40 cals per point. So you can see that your Daily points don't add up to a high number of calories. And that's why we need to eat those Dailies.

For me, pretty soon after starting, I added in Weeklies, to keep my stomach and brain happy and not deprived. Then after I got a heart rate monitor, I started eating my Activity Points. (when using a HR monitor, I estimate 80 calories per AP if you are eating the Activity Points...some use 100 cal/AP...so there's a difference built in with either of those numbers...you aren't just eating what you burned...you're eating half of what you burned, basically).

For me, I have to keep tummy and mind happy and filled and fulfilled, or I go to a bad place where I eat too many naughty things, then stop tracking, then feel guilty, eat more, continue to not track, and then finally I quit. I've done that before, back when I thought the extra points were evil or cheating or just something for weak people. (those were MY thoughts, I'm not saying that anyone here thinks those things!)

So for me it was really important this time, to eat the "extra" points. I finally realized (and this is my WW motto) that life isn't fair and I'll never be able to eat ALL I truly want while also looking how I want to look. So this *has to be* sustainable for me, and to stick with 26 points (plus Maintenance points once I hit that stage), for me, won't be sustainable. The way of putting it, for the way I do WW, is that I "eat all points coming to me". They are mine, and I am eating them. :)

And if you can see signatures, I'm doing pretty well. Now, I weigh everything that can be weighed. If I can't weigh it, I measure it. I even am careful about having proper serving sizes of zero point fruits and veggies. If I'm doing everything else perfectly but am going crazy with bananas and unsweetened applesauce and I start gaining, I want to KNOW if I'm accidentally having 15 servings of those things per day. So I'm careful careful careful, while eating every last one of my points.

And, of course, if I hit a true plateau over weeks and weeks, I have an easy place to start changing. Just lower the "extra" points a bit for a month or so, see what happens, etc.

That's my WW plan. :goodvibes

What a great description, bumbershoot! Basically, it is just going to be trial and error to figure out what is good for you. I am over a year and 100 pounds in, and still figuring out what to do. If you are going to make a change, make sure you give it a couple of weeks to see if it works.

Another question. Will it fail if I eat less points than I'm assigned per day? I have a lot and I don't want to eat for the sake of having points.

There is a good chance that the answer to your question is YES. If you eat too little food, your body will fight to hold on to everything it can and you won't lose any weight and you will suffer nutritionally. If you really need to get a few more points in, eat something high in points for a small quantity. Just a few pecans can add up to five points quite quickly, much to my dismay.

WI last night -- down another pound. Total of 76 off.

DD reached the healthy weight range, 81 off for her. She said this is the first time she has been in the healthy weight range since she got married (2003). She needs to talk to someone about setting a goal weight -- she is eager to be rid of her monthly bill. Heck, her family qualifies for food stamps but she's paying $43.00 a month to belong to WW. (Hmmm, I wonder if WW has ever thought about offering a discount to those on assistance?) Our meetings have been so crowded this month that even with an extra person checking in, there really is not a good time to try to talk to someone about goal weight.

I made a smoothie this morning for breakfast for the first time. It only had 4 points because of the yogurt and milk. I added blueberries, strawberries, cherries and spinach; all frozen plus a fresh banana. It took me forever to drink and is a lot more filling than I thought it would be. Might become a daily habit. :)

I lost .6 this week so that brings me to 42.8 total. I was hoping to get back to 46 before my trip but it didn't happen. I just hope I don't gain too much on vacation.

Have a great week everyone, I'll be in my happy place next week :wizard:

I lost .6 this week so that brings me to 42.8 total. I was hoping to get back to 46 before my trip but it didn't happen. I just hope I don't gain too much on vacation.

Have a great week everyone, I'll be in my happy place next week :wizard:

Have a great time! 2 1/2 months yet for me.

Hello! I started back on WW two weeks ago and have been really pleased with my progress so far. I'm doing online only and picked Friday as my weigh in day. Last Friday I was down 3 pounds. Woohoo!! We started a Live Healthy America 10 day challenge at work for exercise so that will help get me moving more. I'm determined to drop these 40 pounds and be the healthiest I can be.

WDWRids said:
Hello! I started back on WW two weeks ago and have been really pleased with my progress so far. I'm doing online only and picked Friday as my weigh in day. Last Friday I was down 3 pounds. Woohoo!! We started a Live Healthy America 10 day challenge at work for exercise so that will help get me moving more. I'm determined to drop these 40 pounds and be the healthiest I can be.

Congrats and welcome! :)

I wanted to share a NSV (because, the "scale" variety is eluding me). When I returned home from vacation I joined the January Exercise Challenge. I figured out how many minutes would be if I averaged 30 minutes per day for the rest of the month. That came out to be 750, so that was my goal. I ended up working out 863 minutes :cool1:. I joined the February Challenge too. I liked watching the numbers add up :).

Does anyone know where I can find the points plus value or the true nutrional information for BJ's Brewhouse? I got their pasta last night and I bascially had to guess. :furious: Can't find the info anywhere online!

superme80 said:
Does anyone know where I can find the points plus value or the true nutrional information for BJ's Brewhouse? I got their pasta last night and I bascially had to guess. :furious: Can't find the info anywhere online!

I usually use MyFitnessPal when I can't get nutritional information from the restaurant. In cases like this, you just have to do your best and try not to worry about it. If you have made good choices, guessing should be good enough.

I'm still struggling with sticking to the plan 100%. I've started drinking smoothies that keep me full forever and help some with my sweet tooth. I restarting the program every day even when I don't make it through the day before.

I really can't wait until spring gets here. It is so much easier to eat healthier and be more active. Plus all my comfort food cravings go away until fall!

My NSV today was that I got on the treadmill this morning and walked 0.8 mi in 18 minutes. Not much, but it is something!:)

It has been really hard for me to stick to it for the last two weeks. I hardly ever ate my weekly points but man, I am going through them like crazy lately. So, I can blame it on winter?

I blame it on winter! Lol. This weather just makes me want to eat and eat and eat. Spring comes and it doesn't bother me so much.

I had to share with my Dis WW friends...I was interviewed for a podcast called Half Size Me about my weight loss journey! If you only knew how unlike the old me this is...it is a huge step forward for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter