Weight Watchers Chat -- Part III

bumbershoot said:
My hubby hit his 10% yesterday! Woohooooooo!

He's been working at it since February. He's a very slow loser, which is very demotivating for a man, but he's just kept on going. Since August he has only lost 8 lbs, which has been really hard for him emotionally.

In the last month he realized he had gotten a little sloppy in his tracking, so he tightened those things up...tracked AS he ate instead of at the end of the day (which helped me figure out appropriate dinners, too), made sure he was using the right information for things he eats often, etc.

I had noticed that weighing every day at home was really hurting his feelings and making him angry, so I strongly urged that he stop. When we were on the way to the meeting he said "don't be surprised if I'm up 2 or 3 pounds", because that's how he felt. He hurt his hip this week and took some ibuprofen, and he always notices a bit of bloat when he takes those. But lo and behold, he was down 1.6 and that meant he had finally hit that 10%.

He nearly got a standing ovation at the meeting. People know and like him, and KNOW how hard he has worked to get that weight off. He's a bigger guy, so his 10% is a LOT more than most peoples' 10%. His 10% is nearly the weight our leader lost to hit lifetime. I know that he and I were teary-eyed along with our leader (who adores him), and I think others were, too. I'm so proud of him. :love:

We had already planned to go out clothes-shopping, and that brassy keychain made it even more fun. He's down two pants sizes (DS and I told him so!) and a shirt size as well. :banana:

I can't remember if I shared this a month or so ago, but his endocrinologist says there is no indication that he is diabetic anymore. And more recently, the results of other bloodwork shows that his pituitary tumor called a prolactinoma is almost done, too. The cyst is still there (but breaking down), but the prolactin levels are at 19, which is just 4 units higher than the high side of normal for a man. :dance3:

It's just all good for DH. :)

That's amazing! Congratulations to you both!

Decided to try WW after looking at my photographs from a trip to NYC and not liking what I saw. My goal is to lose 60 pounds over the next few months for my planned trip to Disney in October (for food and wine, of all things...)

Here's hoping...

Down another 1.6. I think it may have been more if I hadn't met my husband for lunch. I don't like late afternoon weigh-ins. :rotfl:
I'm still up in the air about this meeting. Although people did ask her way she doesn't celebrate people's loss. She says because everyone doesn't want to share. Um, ok, then they don't have to. Seems others find it motivating too.

Minor car trouble turned into a major NSV. I sat in the front seat of a tow truck (tight quarters) with two other people and buckled my seatbelt...no problem! Anyone who has been overweight will know how huge that is.

Down another 1.6. I think it may have been more if I hadn't met my husband for lunch. I don't like late afternoon weigh-ins. :rotfl:
I'm still up in the air about this meeting. Although people did ask her way she doesn't celebrate people's loss. She says because everyone doesn't want to share. Um, ok, then they don't have to. Seems others find it motivating too.

She doesn't celebrate *any* loss? Actually, even if she only celebrates big milestones I would still be sad about that. I wonder if her meeting got lots of complaints before? (which makes me think *someone* there has a loud and carrying voice)

Afternoon weigh-in probably makes for the most healthy weighers, IMO. I have a Sat morning weigh-in, and I still refuse to eat or drink before it*. Worse, DH does the same. When it was at 10am it was bad enough, and then they dropped a meeting and made ours at 10:30. youch.

With an afternoon weigh-in, though, you pretty much have to eat and drink, so you're probably healthier in my opinion.

*I've started wearing normal clothing, I'm not doing special meals the night before anymore, and I can deal with even switching out the clothes and dealing with the weight fluctuations...eating before the meeting is next on my "how to be normal" list, LOL.

WI this morning and I was down 2.8 pounds. I'm still struggling with eating healthy but I am trying to change things up and keeping control of my portion sizes. Happy Tuesday everyone! :thumbsup2

She doesn't celebrate *any* loss? Actually, even if she only celebrates big milestones I would still be sad about that. I wonder if her meeting got lots of complaints before? (which makes me think *someone* there has a loud and carrying voice)

Afternoon weigh-in probably makes for the most healthy weighers, IMO. I have a Sat morning weigh-in, and I still refuse to eat or drink before it*. Worse, DH does the same. When it was at 10am it was bad enough, and then they dropped a meeting and made ours at 10:30. youch.

With an afternoon weigh-in, though, you pretty much have to eat and drink, so you're probably healthier in my opinion.

*I've started wearing normal clothing, I'm not doing special meals the night before anymore, and I can deal with even switching out the clothes and dealing with the weight fluctuations...eating before the meeting is next on my "how to be normal" list, LOL.

She'll give out kudos for someone that hit their 5 or 10%, or that someone lost 5 pounds, but it's not that raise your hand if you had a loss this week, and then people would share their loss amount. To me (and others) that is very motivating. I suppose I could be carrying my likes from other meetings and should understand that each leader has their own ways, but I really liked my other leaders. :rotfl: I'm too lazy to drive the 30+ minutes for the other meeting. Although that would be a morning meeting which I prefer more. Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

Are meetings worth the extra money? It would be an extra $22 a month to be able to go to meetings, and I've heard mixed reviews.

nocomment711 said:
Are meetings worth the extra money? It would be an extra $22 a month to be able to go to meetings, and I've heard mixed reviews.

It depends on who you ask. Some people need the accountability and support you get in the meetings. I have found those things in other ways, so online membership works just fine for me.

So I was able to join online for 3 months. I didn't do so well on my own. I did Spark People for a few weeks and lost 7 lbs. I have a trip to Disney planned in a month so I am trying to bet as healthy as I can! Have a great week everyone.
Oh and if any one wants to send me a pm during the week to remind me that kettle chips are NOT my friend. Please do so! :lmao:

For me, absolutely! I know all about how WW works, heck I could be a leader (and am seriously thinking about it when I hit goal) but to do it on my own never works.
I need the accountability. I like the content of the meetings, hearing people share their stories, food finds, recipes and such. Also too, if I have to pay to go every week, then it also keeps me motivated to stay on plan so I'm not wasting my money.

No loss this week, but no gain either! Onward and upward!

That's good! You've lost so much that you might have a few weeks where your body stops losing in order to adjust to the new you. I just went through that and am finally on the other side.

WI is tonight and I had Chinese for lunch -- beef and broccoli and two of dh's Gen. Tso's shrimp. No Gen. Tso's shrimp on the tracker, so I used chicken points instead. 5:00 p.m. I'll see what lunch did to me today. (But I still have 9 points left for today -- which is designated to our weekly Auntie Anne's pretzel. :) )

WI is tonight and I had Chinese for lunch -- beef and broccoli and two of dh's Gen. Tso's shrimp. No Gen. Tso's shrimp on the tracker, so I used chicken points instead. 5:00 p.m. I'll see what lunch did to me today. (But I still have 9 points left for today -- which is designated to our weekly Auntie Anne's pretzel. :) )

Chinese sounds so good! I hope weigh in goes well. Enjoy your Auntie Anne's pretzel!

I am down again! Even after sharing a Cinnamon Roll at Gaston's again. I think the point is to share. Just a few bites takes off the craving and the feeling of depriving myself. I just couldn't believe it after standing on the scale 2 days in a row and seeing the same exact number! The first day, I thought maybe it was water loss, but it's been pretty consistent for a few days.

I think I'm gonna see how the first month goes on my own. I'm fairly motivated right now (and sore from my first real workout since high school). If I start struggling, I'll upgrade.

Another question. Will it fail if I eat less points than I'm assigned per day? I have a lot and I don't want to eat for the sake of having points.

pwdebbie said:
That's good! You've lost so much that you might have a few weeks where your body stops losing in order to adjust to the new you. I just went through that and am finally on the other side.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Also, I am close to being at goal, so it could start slowing down. Thirdly, I am working out more and not eating APs. I'm going to try eating a little more and see if that works. I probably need to start doing that anyway to prepare for maintenance.

Let us know how it goes!

I think I'm gonna see how the first month goes on my own. I'm fairly motivated right now (and sore from my first real workout since high school). If I start struggling, I'll upgrade.

Another question. Will it fail if I eat less points than I'm assigned per day? I have a lot and I don't want to eat for the sake of having points.

It's best to eat all the points. The points are really calculated by how many calories your body needs in order to lose weight but still be healthy. If you routinely eat below that amount your body will go into 'starvation mode' and will prevent you from losing weight. It will conserve them actually.

phorsenuf said:
It's best to eat all the points. The points are really calculated by how many calories your body needs in order to lose weight but still be healthy. If you routinely eat below that amount your body will go into 'starvation mode' and will prevent you from losing weight. It will conserve them actually.

Thanks! I'm struggling to meet points some days, but it's okay if I don't use the extra points they give you per week? It just feels a little counter productive to eat more when I'm not hungry just to use up points.

Thanks! I'm struggling to meet points some days, but it's okay if I don't use the extra points they give you per week? It just feels a little counter productive to eat more when I'm not hungry just to use up points.

The extra weekly points you can skip. The other day I had 14 pints left for the day and I wasn't even hungry, yet I ate good that day. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter