• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weight Watchers Chat -- Part III

I'm glad you are back with us, Robin! And I am doubly glad that you are doing well health-wise. :cool1:

Did anyone (meeting member, that is) get their new keychain (looks like an enormous belly button ring lol) for going to 4/5 meetings this first 5 weeks? So glad they allowed continuing members and lifetimes to participate because DH and I got ours. :). At the sat orlando meeting, even (I adore Helen, the 10:30am sat leader). So neat to attend different meetings while traveling!

My next official, for me, weigh in is tomorrow. I have been making really good choices this week. The baby seems to think that mommy and daddy want to party at 2 am, and the older ones think mommy needs to be up at 7:45. :scared1: Needless to say exercise has not happened this week.

So I'm considering starting WW. Between hitting 30 and going on various meds, I've poofed up, and it's still trickling upward. I want to lose about 30-35 lbs off the 160 I'm lugging around (I was 115 just 5 years ago), but trying to track calories and fat and carbs and whatnot just isn't working for me. I think that WW would be much easier, with the points instead of "I can have this ... oh, wait, no, too many carbs ... this ... no, right amount of carbs, too many calories ... I'll just have a carrot". The only problem I have (and this is what killed me for counting calories) is homemade foods. Does WW have a list of point values for stuff you make at home that doesn't have point values already on it? Like if I wanted to make spaghetti one night, but the box of Publix angel hair pasta and the jar of Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce don't have point values listed, will it be easy to figure out?

Easy to figure out ... unlike the rambling post I just made lol.

So I'm considering starting WW. Between hitting 30 and going on various meds, I've poofed up, and it's still trickling upward. I want to lose about 30-35 lbs off the 160 I'm lugging around (I was 115 just 5 years ago), but trying to track calories and fat and carbs and whatnot just isn't working for me. I think that WW would be much easier, with the points instead of "I can have this ... oh, wait, no, too many carbs ... this ... no, right amount of carbs, too many calories ... I'll just have a carrot". The only problem I have (and this is what killed me for counting calories) is homemade foods. Does WW have a list of point values for stuff you make at home that doesn't have point values already on it? Like if I wanted to make spaghetti one night, but the box of Publix angel hair pasta and the jar of Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce don't have point values listed, will it be easy to figure out?

Easy to figure out ... unlike the rambling post I just made lol.

They do. The little booklet I had has an estimation of pts values. I had lasagna at my SIL's house last week. Instead of having to ask where what was all in it, I just looked up lasagna. It was 7 pts a serving. I had 2, so 14 pts for the lasagna.

You can also use the online tools to help figure out the point values. I love the recipe builder, where I put in the ingredients and how many portions, then it calculates the points. And once in it will always be there, so for your favorites it is great.

Hi Everyone!

I just started on WW last Monday, so I am a week in. I am glad I found this board and this particular thread. I am doing the Points plus, and the online routine as the cost of meetings is just not in my budget.

So far, so good.....down 1.5 pounds the first week. I still find myself thinking about food all the time though! I know this will pass, and I am finding myself really thinking about the points value of all the 'goodies' that I am craving right now.

I am packing my lunches, and trying to get as many fruits and veggies in each day as I can. I tend to be more of a grazer rather than a sit down and eat a meal kind of person, especially at work, so I know I am going to need to work on changing a few things.

I am looking forward to reading through as many posts as I can for inspiration and encouragement. I am at my highest weight EVER and this is simply NOT acceptable. The work starts now.

Thanks in advance for all your help, encouragement and support. I am glad that forums like this one exist.

Linda ( who hopes to slowly lose 40 lbs.)

So I took the plunge and signed up for WW online. As I understand it, fruits and veggies are pretty much free-for-all within decent portion limits, but what about condiments? How do you calculate if you use salad dressing? I have no way to measure out a "service" at school, they just give you one of those clear plastic condiment cups with it. I don't even know what brand dressing, if it's low fat, or what. Also, I tend to eat sugar-free hard candy during the day, as it helps keep me from eating more stuff, so how do you track stuff you just graze on like that?

So I took the plunge and signed up for WW online. As I understand it, fruits and veggies are pretty much free-for-all within decent portion limits, but what about condiments? How do you calculate if you use salad dressing? I have no way to measure out a "service" at school, they just give you one of those clear plastic condiment cups with it. I don't even know what brand dressing, if it's low fat, or what. Also, I tend to eat sugar-free hard candy during the day, as it helps keep me from eating more stuff, so how do you track stuff you just graze on like that?

Have you thought about packing in your own dressing? That way you can calculate the points and better control the portion.

As for the Sugar free candy, you should be able to figure the points. I would suggest you figure out haw many points a day you can allow, and then portion it out. I often use the snack size ziplock bags to do this and portion them out when I purchase a package of something. Then I write the point value on the bag for ease of tracking.

Just a quick comment on the snacks. I have found over the past year on the program that when I increase my power foods, I tend to need fewer snacks to keep me from over eating. Changing my granola bar for a piece of fruit, or my crackers for carrot sticks has worked really well. Or even a 4 pt portion of nuts. These foods really stay with me longer, and I don't really crave another snack. Also drinking a glass of water when I think I am hungry has often proven to me that I was really thirsty. So remember to drink your water.

Good luck. I am sure you will figure out what works best for your body.

Have you thought about packing in your own dressing? That way you can calculate the points and better control the portion.

As for the Sugar free candy, you should be able to figure the points. I would suggest you figure out haw many points a day you can allow, and then portion it out. I often use the snack size ziplock bags to do this and portion them out when I purchase a package of something. Then I write the point value on the bag for ease of tracking.

Just a quick comment on the snacks. I have found over the past year on the program that when I increase my power foods, I tend to need fewer snacks to keep me from over eating. Changing my granola bar for a piece of fruit, or my crackers for carrot sticks has worked really well. Or even a 4 pt portion of nuts. These foods really stay with me longer, and I don't really crave another snack. Also drinking a glass of water when I think I am hungry has often proven to me that I was really thirsty. So remember to drink your water.

I've thought about it, but the problem is I don't know where to order individual packets from. I suppose Sam's Club might have them, but they'd probably be in a box of 500 or something obscene that I'd never go through. And it seems silly to carry a lunchbox and ice pack to school just for a small container of salad dressing.

I like your idea of the snack size ziplocs with points values written on them. May have to go stock up on ziplocs once the county unclenches from the 0.07" (yes, less than one tenth of an inch) of freezing rain/sleet that we got Wed morning. :rolleyes2

I've thought about it, but the problem is I don't know where to order individual packets from. I suppose Sam's Club might have them, but they'd probably be in a box of 500 or something obscene that I'd never go through. And it seems silly to carry a lunchbox and ice pack to school just for a small container of salad dressing.

I like your idea of the snack size ziplocs with points values written on them. May have to go stock up on ziplocs once the county unclenches from the 0.07" (yes, less than one tenth of an inch) of freezing rain/sleet that we got Wed morning. :rolleyes2

I love these little packets:

http://hendricksons.com/?page_id=5

I called their number and asked for anyone in my area that carried their products. I called around and found one that carried the little packets. They run about 25 cents each but I do have to buy them in a box of 100. I usually split it with my sister, so it's not so bad.

I have also ordered some from Amazon in the past and they have a few choices that might work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ps&rh=i:aps,k:salad dressing individual packs

I'm not very good with links, so hopefully these will work.

I love these little packets:

I called their number and asked for anyone in my area that carried their products. I called around and found one that carried the little packets. They run about 25 cents each but I do have to buy them in a box of 100. I usually split it with my sister, so it's not so bad.

I have also ordered some from Amazon in the past and they have a few choices that might work for you.

Never even thought about Amazon. (insert ::forehead smack:: smiley that doesn't exist here) Can't wait to see what my granddad thinks of a box of salad dressing arriving at the house. :rotfl:

:thumbsup2

I agree about the power foods, though for me and DH we call them nourishing foods instead. The stuff that really works for your body; that nourishes it and keeps you full.

But jilly, that's something for you to work out in time. No hurry. For now the sugar free candy works; in time you might find that the sweetness of it might work differently and you'll want to change things up.

DH found that bringing fruits and veggies and really good lunches and snacks kept him away from the candy and vending machines. If he ate something sweet other than an apple, it would trigger him. But that's him. You'll figure out how YOU work. :)

Joining in here, joined January 4th, and down 11.2 lbs, I weigh in on Saturdays, which I really like. I am needing to lose about 75-80 lbs, but doing small goals for myself. I am doing a Disney cruise in April(10 weeks away), I wanted to lose 25 by then, so 13.8 to go. I can do it, I know!!! Glad I found you all!!!:goodvibes

:thumbsup2

I agree about the power foods, though for me and DH we call them nourishing foods instead. The stuff that really works for your body; that nourishes it and keeps you full.

But jilly, that's something for you to work out in time. No hurry. For now the sugar free candy works; in time you might find that the sweetness of it might work differently and you'll want to change things up.

DH found that bringing fruits and veggies and really good lunches and snacks kept him away from the candy and vending machines. If he ate something sweet other than an apple, it would trigger him. But that's him. You'll figure out how YOU work. :)

Part of my problem is willpower/self control. I've always had the metabolism of a hummingbird, ate when I was hungry, whatever it was I was hungry for (which, to be honest, wasn't 100% junk food crap anyway, but if I was wanting a Big Mac then dangit, I ate a Big Mac ... *WITH* fries!! :rotfl2: ). Now I'm actually having to watch what I eat, and my granddad eats whatever he wants, so the house has more "junk" in it than I'd like, but at 95 I'm just glad he's still eating. I think it will get better in the fall when I'm 2 hours away at college 4 days a week and have more control over what's in my kitchen, but right now it's definitely a challenge. I have loaded up on the snack trays that Publix has with apples/cheese/grapes/pretzels combos, and discovered a love for hummus (ate it at a welcome home party for a soldier friend without having any clue what it was), which makes for a nice at school lunch (I use Wheat Thins for dipping in the hummus).

My first day in WW was last Tuesday, but since I'm limited on the food budget, the first few days were pretty much useless, since most of the food I had in the house was not good WW food, and I had to eat through that before I could justify spending a bunch of money on new food. But now that I've got the freezer stocked with WW meals (yeah, I know, frozen food isn't the best, but it's easy, and right now that's what I need) and "good" foods, it should be better. Plus I didn't even bother trying to count at the SB party on Sunday, I just nibbled on "bad" stuff and loaded up on "good" stuff (yay for veggie/fruit trays!!) and said to heck with it. ;)

It'll also be easier once my medication gets working and I'm not hurting so much when I try to walk/run for any real distance. Some days just getting around campus is difficult, much less trying to exercise. :crutches: So right now I'm more in a "don't gain more" mindset than a "lose the weight" mindset, I've just got too much working against me that I can't control right now, and I don't want to get discouraged if I end up not losing weight, but staying at my current :eek: 160.

I'm stuck. I keep loosing and gaining the same ,4. This week I really amped up the interval training and strength training, but was up .2. How is that possible since I worked out so hard and stayed within my points?!?

I'm stuck. I keep loosing and gaining the same ,4. This week I really amped up the interval training and strength training, but was up .2. How is that possible since I worked out so hard and stayed within my points?!?

Are you sore? If so (and even if you aren't, with the increase in training it's happening anyway) it means your body is healing itself. And that means its pulling water in to heal the muscles. Temporary upswings on the scale are normal and common when starting something new or increasing what's you've been doing.

Just keep going.

For me, as I started really exercising I found I had to eat more. Fueling the workouts in a smart way became important. Early on I started eating all weekly AND all (carefully calculated) activity points in order to continue to lose and to thrive in my workouts. If you haven't yet explored that, and if the weight keeps on not budging, you might consider exploring those options. Every body works differently, though!

And, because I would be remiss in not mentioning it, be sure your points-counting is accurate. I've found errors (or as I call them "trader joes changed the nutrition info on me" moments) which were messing up the counting, and DH has done things like use the generic soy milk (for example) rather then use the NI of what he's actually drinking, etc. different little spots to really tighten it up, make the points calculations more perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter