Weight loss surgery - does anyone REALLY need it?

And, the difference between limiting food by surgery or just plain limiting food is...hunger. Hunger is a basic drive and something you can only fight for so long. People who limit food through surgery do not feel strong hunger pangs, so it's easier.

Eventually, as anyone who has tried to limit food for any length of time will tell you...hunger will always win.

Then you add the addiction/compulsion component that I mentioned earlier, and it's hard.

But weight loss surgery is no quick or easy fix and I for one, do not believe it should be covered by surgery, if it is.

I understand there is about to be a pile on about how nasty fat people are. I'll pass on that.

However to answer this question, the weight starts coming off because it's almost equivalent to "starving" oneself at first. Basically that person has cut their food/calorie instake by 75% or more and feels fuller faster. If they are maintaining an exercise regiment then they are going to lose the weight faster because they outputting more calories than intaking.

With straight diet and exercise, if someone is used to eating a specific amount and think about how much it could take to make one feel "full" then that person is just fighting to output the calories from just that day and for some that is a fighting battle.

I'm a fat girl. I'm not as fat as I was and I will always be fat to an extent but I do pay attention to what I eat and follow a pretty good exercise plan. I'm healthier for it of course but not skinnier for it. I'm okay with that even if others around me want to put the finger and judge.

Okay back to the fat people pile on.

I've seen no "fat people pile on" in this thread.... at least not yet. I hope it doesn't come.

I have a friend who had gastric bypass 3 years ago. I and our other friends tried to help her lose weight naturally, but she was determined to have the surgery (even putting on an extra 20 lbs. so she'd meet the minimum requirement). I have to admit that if I tried to hug her, I could not get my arms around her.

She has lost more than half her weight and kept it off. We're happy for her, but what gets to us is if we try to go out for dinner, before we order, she shoves the menu aside, then sits there with a dejected look on her face. Then she gets out a little laminated card that says "This patient is a gastric bypass patient. Please allow her to order a half-portion or order from the children's menu" and it is signed by her doctor. She then flips open the menu...after a few minutes, she'll sigh, push it aside, and put away the card. Then she repeats the process again after a few minutes. We all try to order things she likes so she can pick off our plates, or go to family-style restaurants, but we always get the same reaction.

I have had 3 very good friend have g bypass last year. None have had complications. One is at about 14 months out and looks and feels fantastic. She is down 125 pounds, eats properly, has done personal counseling, and exercises 4 days a week. Her problem before was that she solved her emotional issues with binge eating...then she'd gain more weight, feel worse about herself and repeat the process. I think the counseling and then added bonus of not hating her appearance has helped her immensely. I'll be shocked if she gains her weight back because she readily acknowledges that her food addiction was due to emotional issues, and she is dealing with those. The surgery helped the process because she didn't have to have the "willpower" in the beginning because she'd vomit if she overate or ate the wrong foods. Now she's used to her new lifestyle and while she could make poor choices, she chooses not to. It was kinda forced on her with the procedure.

Other one has lost 100 pounds in 9 months - she looks great! She still can't tolerate a lot of different foods and doesn't have a variety in her diet. I also don't think she exercises. I wouldn't be surprised if she gains some back since she doesn't seem to take the "lifestyle change" seriously. Maybe I'm wrong since she's not a big talker.

The last one? Gained 25 pounds in order to qualify for the surgery, has lost 45 pounds in 7 months, doesn't exercise, I know she eats food that's not allowed, will eat until she gets sick frequently, and drinks the fattening coffee drinks daily from Starbucks. I'd be shocked if she DOES have good results.

I think the biggest benefit of the surgery is that it forces you to eat less food in the beginning because otherwise you feel awful. Then it's up the individual to keep up with the lifestyle change. I don't feel as if I can judge since I don't struggle with my weight...sure I'd like to be 20 pounds lighter, but I know if I set my mind to it, I could lose it. I got other issues I can claim. Haha

I joined Weight Watchers over a year ago and I have lost 52 pounds. I am currently at my goal weight and struggling every day to stay there. I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

People struggle to lose weight for lots of reasons, all of them personal. For me, it was a struggle mostly because I was surrounded by co-workers and family members that for whatever reason, could NOT stop shoving cupcakes and donuts in my face and saying, come on... one won't hurt you. Come on... just have half... come on... you can have ONE slice of this pizza... just don't write the points down... come on... you may die tomorrow...

THAT was what was the hardest thing to overcome for me. Right now while I type this... my coworkers are out to lunch celebrating a birthday. I stayed at the office.

Please, if you know someone trying to do the right thing... do not sabotage their efforts. Sheesh.

I have a friend who had gastric bypass 3 years ago. I and our other friends tried to help her lose weight naturally, but she was determined to have the surgery (even putting on an extra 20 lbs. so she'd meet the minimum requirement). I have to admit that if I tried to hug her, I could not get my arms around her.

She has lost more than half her weight and kept it off. We're happy for her, but what gets to us is if we try to go out for dinner, before we order, she shoves the menu aside, then sits there with a dejected look on her face. Then she gets out a little laminated card that says "This patient is a gastric bypass patient. Please allow her to order a half-portion or order from the children's menu" and it is signed by her doctor. She then flips open the menu...after a few minutes, she'll sigh, push it aside, and put away the card. Then she repeats the process again after a few minutes. We all try to order things she likes so she can pick off our plates, or go to family-style restaurants, but we always get the same reaction.

It sounds like your friend is still having emotional issues with regards to food. It is very hard to change your relationship with food when it has been filling an emotional need.

I have had a gastric band for nearly two years. Having WLS was simply the best thing that I ever did for myself. Prior to surgery, my BMI was in the "morbidly obese" category; I am now 6 lbs away from a normal, healthy BMI. The band helps control physical hunger, so I can make appropriate choices regarding food and portion sizes.

Choosing to have surgery was a choice of last resort. In order to have the surgery, I had to provide my insurance company with a history of my weight loss efforts. I had to show a history of obesity through my medical records. I had to attend nutrition counseling and receive clearance from a psychologist. My sleep apnea has resolved 100%. My AC1 has gone from boderline diabetic to low-normal. My blood pressure readings have dropped from boarderline high to low normal. I no longer have any knee pain or foot pain. At my last doctor's appointment, instead of scheduling a quarterly appointment for follow up, she told to schedule an appointment next year.

My nutritionist accurately compared life after WLS as the difference between driving a car with standard steering versus a car with power steering. I am still in control, but after WLS, it is much easier to go in the right direction.

I understand there is about to be a pile on about how nasty fat people are. I'll pass on that.

However to answer this question, the weight starts coming off because it's almost equivalent to "starving" oneself at first. Basically that person has cut their food/calorie instake by 75% or more and feels fuller faster. If they are maintaining an exercise regiment then they are going to lose the weight faster because they outputting more calories than intaking.

With straight diet and exercise, if someone is used to eating a specific amount and think about how much it could take to make one feel "full" then that person is just fighting to output the calories from just that day and for some that is a fighting battle.

I'm a fat girl. I'm not as fat as I was and I will always be fat to an extent but I do pay attention to what I eat and follow a pretty good exercise plan. I'm healthier for it of course but not skinnier for it. I'm okay with that even if others around me want to put the finger and judge.

Okay back to the fat people pile on.

Not as much a "pile on" but a lot of people who never had the problem telling those who do how easy it is to overcome...:rolleyes:

I've never drank so I could NEVER tell an alcoholic to just stop.

I've never done drugs so I could never tell an addict to stop taking them.

But it amazes me how some self righteous people feel the need to tell people how to control their demons. Their demons are their OWN, not yours.

I was a fat kid with two thin GORGEOUS sisters. They gave me hell. I went to Weight Watchers at 14 and lost the weight and besides fluctuating a bit after kids I've kept most of it off. BOTH of my sister gained weight as they grew older and neither of them knew what to do because they hadn't learned HOW to do it. Now they're both bigger than me... karma is a female dog, isn't it? :rolleyes1

Okay back to the pile on... :goodvibes

Not as much a "pile on" but a lot of people who never had the problem telling those who do how easy it is to overcome...:rolleyes:

I've never drank so I could NEVER tell an alcoholic to just stop.

I've never done drugs so I could never tell an addict to stop taking them.

But it amazes me how some self righteous people feel the need to tell people how to control their demons. Their demons are their OWN, not yours.

I was a fat kid with two thin GORGEOUS sisters. They gave me hell. I went to Weight Watchers at 14 and lost the weight and besides fluctuating a bit after kids I've kept most of it off. BOTH of my sister gained weight as they grew older and neither of them knew what to do because they hadn't learned HOW to do it. Now they're both bigger than me... karma is a female dog, isn't it? :rolleyes1

Okay back to the pile on... :goodvibes

I am sorry but this post is forcing me to reply. I read this whole thread and there was no "pile on" as you say. The OP asked what I think was a legitimate question. I too often wonder myself why diets etc. couldn't work because you had to limit your portions yet WLS - which limits your portions- does. I know a few people who have had the surgery. One died, one was successful in losing weight but eats garbage and you can tell by looking at her, the others have lost some weight but not enough imo to warrant a life threatening surgery. Of course I respect their choices. Nobody on this thread has told anybody how to "control their demons" as you say. In fact, I thought this was a really great thread with a lot of good dialogue going on. There wasn't a "pile on", nobody was berating heavy people, nobody was "telling" anyone anything. I think people are genuinely curious. I admit that I am. I will say that I personally have mixed feelings about the surgery. If it worked for someone that's great but I don't think it is really a solution for most. JMHO of course.

The surgery can help because it makes it painful to eat more than very small portions, can cause nausea and vomiting, things like that that make it unpleasant to eat certain things. Weight loss surgery is not for everyone. We don't hear about the people who had to have the surgery reversed due to malabsorption issues, etc.

Some people have difficulties losing weight due to hormonal imbalances and other conditions. These conditions can be difficult to diagnose and manage. I'm working at mine. I still get some people telling me I should just skip a few meals to lose weight. They absolutely do not understand how diabetes works.

Weight loss is really one of those things that everyone has opinions on don't they? As a gastric bypass patient 10 years out from surgery let me share a few of my personal insights/experiences with all of you and then I have no doubt you will be sure to let me know how I could have done things differently if I had willpower or self control and didn't take the "easy" way out by having a major surgical procedure.

I have been fighting my weight my ENTIRE life - always the fat kid (both parents 100 lbs over weight). Started Weight Watchers at 12 years old. Gained and lost 100 lbs more than once on WW. I could tell you the points in almost anything. Try me.

I have also tried every fad, prescription diet drugs that gave terrible side effects, went to nutritionists, etc. So please don't tell me I did't "try" hard enough. Hard enough for who? Also please do not tell me I lack willpower. I have had the willpower to reach my educational and career goals, have a great family, supportive friends, no addiction or abuse issues. Totally normal girl - except that I was over 300 lbs and getting bigger.

I was on high blood pressure medication and looking forward to type II diabetes, joint issues, etc. Believe me I know the dangers of obesity. Then add the fact that it is very difficult to be a fat kid/teen/adult. Unless you have been there you will not understand the level of teasing and name calling that overweight people are subjected to.

So, in my mid 30's I made the incredibly brave decision to seek weight loss surgery. This was a 2 year process that included psychological and nutritional counseling as well as medical testing and monthly support groups. This was not something I took lightly or viewed as an easy answer to my weight issues.

My surgeon told me I had a less that 5% chance of losing weight and keeping it off without medical intervention. This is not true for all GB patients but it was true for me.

So - let's fast forward 10 years. Surgery went great - no complications thankfully. I see my doctor for follow up visits, take my vitamins, and exercise 2-3 times per week. I lost 130 pounds. I am still overweight and would like to lose more for my health. I take NO medications and am very healthy. Just celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful daughter almost 7 years ago who is the joy of our lives. None of this would have been possible for me without weight loss surgery.

So before you go on talking about how "is it really necessary" or "if those overweight so and so's would just stop stuffing their faces". Just think a bit before you speak - put yourself in someone's shoes for a bit .

Weight loss is really one of those things that everyone has opinions on don't they? As a gastric bypass patient 10 years out from surgery let me share a few of my personal insights/experiences with all of you and then I have no doubt you will be sure to let me know how I could have done things differently if I had willpower or self control and didn't take the "easy" way out by having a major surgical procedure.

I have been fighting my weight my ENTIRE life - always the fat kid (both parents 100 lbs over weight). Started Weight Watchers at 12 years old. Gained and lost 100 lbs more than once on WW. I could tell you the points in almost anything. Try me.

I have also tried every fad, prescription diet drugs that gave terrible side effects, went to nutritionists, etc. So please don't tell me I did't "try" hard enough. Hard enough for who? Also please do not tell me I lack willpower. I have had the willpower to reach my educational and career goals, have a great family, supportive friends, no addiction or abuse issues. Totally normal girl - except that I was over 300 lbs and getting bigger.

I was on high blood pressure medication and looking forward to type II diabetes, joint issues, etc. Believe me I know the dangers of obesity. Then add the fact that it is very difficult to be a fat kid/teen/adult. Unless you have been there you will not understand the level of teasing and name calling that overweight people are subjected to.

So, in my mid 30's I made the incredibly brave decision to seek weight loss surgery. This was a 2 year process that included psychological and nutritional counseling as well as medical testing and monthly support groups. This was not something I took lightly or viewed as an easy answer to my weight issues.

My surgeon told me I had a less that 5% chance of losing weight and keeping it off without medical intervention. This is not true for all GB patients but it was true for me.

So - let's fast forward 10 years. Surgery went great - no complications thankfully. I see my doctor for follow up visits, take my vitamins, and exercise 2-3 times per week. I lost 130 pounds. I am still overweight and would like to lose more for my health. I take NO medications and am very healthy. Just celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful daughter almost 7 years ago who is the joy of our lives. None of this would have been possible for me without weight loss surgery.

So before you go on talking about how "is it really necessary" or "if those overweight so and so's would just stop stuffing their faces". Just think a bit before you speak - put yourself in someone's shoes for a bit .

Congrats on your weight loss. That is great. I really mean it. Truly.

I just think that you are getting angry when people do question it. I can honestly say that I still don't understand how it worked for you to limit your portions through surgery- with the exception of feeling full- yet limiting portions didn't work without surgery. It's an honest question. There is no malice in that at all. What is it that made the surgery work but nothing else did? That is the real question. Why does the smaller portion size work post surgery but not before? I know a few people who have had WLS. It did not work for all of them. Some never really lost a lot of weight, some lost a lot and so far so good but their eating habits are terrible (not healthy) one died and never made it out of the hospital and one lost and gained it all back (again- not eating healthy). I am not judging. I simply don't get what the surgery does that healthy living doesn't.

I have to agree with Robin. She wasn't saying that people are piling on a much as offering opinions about issues they personally have not had to deal with.

WLS is a tool. Any bariatric group worth their salt will offer nutritional guidance, counseling, fitness advice and group sessions to support the patient. Many surgeons and medical plans ain't even allow the surgery unless the patient has shown previous attempts to lose weight through other means. For some people dieting is easy. For others it is a daily challenge and for them, WLS is a possible alternative.

I had lap band surgery six years ago. I had tried medifast, weight watchers, working with nutritionists, nothing helped. I was an athlete when I was younger and developed bad habits from never worrying about what I ate. I also came from a Jewish family (other members of the tribe might appreciate that ;-) I started putting on weight after tearing my ACL in college and finding I couldn't be as active as I was used to being. I developed diabetes and have cholesterol problems. I had a heart attack when I was only 44 years old (I'm 58 now). With the lap band, I lost 75 pounds, but then I had some issues and my doctor suggested the gastric sleeve. It's been a year and I'm down 110 pounds from my original weight with 40 to go to my goal. Are there days when I eat something I shouldn't? Sure. Weight loss isn't about punishing yourself. My food intake has been greatly reduced. Gastric bypass and sleeve changes your body chemistry so that you don't think about food the same way. I exercise as much as time permits and I listen to my doctor. Since losing the weight I'm off my diabetes and cholesterol meds. I can walk up stairs without feeling like I'm dying. My energy level is high and I feel good about myself for the first time in years. My wife loves that for the first time in years she can actually put her arms around me. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

Which thread are you reading because it can't be this one. :confused3

I have to agree with Robin. She wasn't saying that people are piling on a much as offering opinions about issues they personally have not had to deal with.

WLS is a tool. Any bariatric group worth their salt will offer nutritional guidance, counseling, fitness advice and group sessions to support the patient. Many surgeons and medical plans ain't even allow the surgery unless the patient has shown previous attempts to lose weight through other means. For some people dieting is easy. For others it is a daily challenge and for them, WLS is a possible alternative.

I had lap band surgery six years ago. I had tried medifast, weight watchers, working with nutritionists, nothing helped. I was an athlete when I was younger and developed bad habits from never worrying about what I ate. I also came from a Jewish family (other members of the tribe might appreciate that ;-) I started putting on weight after tearing my ACL in college and finding I couldn't be as active as I was used to being. I developed diabetes and have cholesterol problems. I had a heart attack when I was only 44 years old (I'm 58 now). With the lap band, I lost 75 pounds, but then I had some issues and my doctor suggested the gastric sleeve. It's been a year and I'm down 110 pounds from my original weight with 40 to go to my goal. Are there days when I eat something I shouldn't? Sure. Weight loss isn't about punishing yourself. My food intake has been greatly reduced. Gastric bypass and sleeve changes your body chemistry so that you don't think about food the same way. I exercise as much as time permits and I listen to my doctor. Since losing the weight I'm off my diabetes and cholesterol meds. I can walk up stairs without feeling like I'm dying. My energy level is high and I feel good about myself for the first time in years. My wife loves that for the first time in years she can actually put her arms around me. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
I bolded. Thank you for giving that information. Can you explain more about that so maybe myself (and others) could have more insight?

As someone who had GBP 8 years ago, lost 200lbs and kept all but 20 of it off. Yes sometimes people need help.

I think people think you have this surgery just by walking through a door and asking for it. If that happens it is a very unethical Dr. I went through more than 16 months of therapy, meetings, nutrition counseling to get where I was. I was also required to lose 10% of my body weight by diet & exercise before surgery.

I weighed 347lbs and now am at 167. What it did was become a tool of help. I still had to relearn eating & exercise. I have since run marathons, play hockey & hit the gym alot more than most "normal" people. I have also guided 4 more people on their journey.

No tool is 100% for all people, every surgery has risks and some people can be helped but some others can't just like an alcoholic and antabuse.

There are a lot of very inspirational stories on here about people whose lives and healthy were vastly improved by surgery. I applaud all of you.

I've not had surgery and am not a candidate, so I'm not taking it personally, but I think there are definite implications here that the people who elect to have such surgery are doing it because they're lazy, have no self control, etc.

It reeks of judgment, starting with the thread title: "Weight loss surgery - does anyone REALLY need it."

There are a lot of very inspirational stories on here about people whose lives and healthy were vastly improved by surgery. I applaud all of you.

I've not had surgery and am not a candidate, so I'm not taking it personally, but I think there are definite implications here that the people who elect to have such surgery are doing it because they're lazy, have no self control, etc.

It reeks of judgment, starting with the thread title: "Weight loss surgery - does anyone REALLY need it."

Ok, I'll admit I chose the title to get people's interest and responses. Not necessarily because I believe it.

I'm asking because I really don't know....

Is there truly anyone for whom diet and exercise won't work and therefore they have to have weight loss surgery in order to lose weight?

The point of weight loss surgery is to physically limit the amount of food one can take in. Food can also be limited just by not eating it. So why is surgery needed?

FTR - I know of 2 people that have had weight loss surgery. One died a few days later in the hospital and the other doesn't look like he's lost any weight (he may have actually lost weight but to my eye he looks about the same size).

As I understand it, another aspect of gastric bypass surgery has to do with malabsorption -- your body will not process all of the calories eaten.

Personally, I don't understand why an alcoholic can't just stop at one drink. I guess because I've never walked a day in his shoes.

There is a documentary out there that BBC did called GUTS. In one part of it they explained that the stomach secretes a hormone that tells the brain you are hungry. Gastric Bypass cuts off the portion of the stomach that releases that hormone so your hunger is greatly reduced. I though that was really interesting and something I did not know before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter