• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wedding payment advice!

I wasn't meaning to "assume" about your situation exactly, only to set up a premise that we often see here on the DIS when parents are being asked/expected/want to contribute to wedding expenses. It sounds like all of you are getting along really well with the planning except for this little game of "chicken" where nobody wants to say a number. Perhaps then you and the groom's parents would be more comfortable going strictly by the rules of etiquette: https://www.theknot.com/content/what-are-the-grooms-parents-expected-to-pay-for

!!)

WOWSER-according to the link above the groom's parents are expected to pay for the LIQUOR!
And some of the Flowers
My son is marrying into a wealthy family this fall-their side of the guest list is 2x the grooms side-no way we could afford the alcohol bill:crazy2:
The reception is more extravagant then any I have attended....just the rehearsal dinner is costing me 2x what my already married son's cost

WOWSER-according to the link above the groom's parents are expected to pay for the LIQUOR!
And some of the Flowers
My son is marrying into a wealthy family this fall-their side of the guest list is 2x the grooms side-no way we could afford the alcohol bill:crazy2:
The reception is more extravagant then any I have attended....just the rehearsal dinner is costing me 2x what my already married son's cost
Which is why I think the absolute best way to do it, unless the parents are in control of the planning and the bridal couple is "just along for the ride" is for each set of parents to commit an amount based on their ability and willingness and let the kids run with it. Whatever they get, they get and whatever isn't covered either they pay for themselves or make a change of plans.

OP- we paid for our DD' wedding. She did not ask, we wanted to do this. WE also contributed to both of our sons weddings, with my youngest son's costing the same about as my daughters. We gave my oldest his "wedding" money when he was purchasing a home because we were not sure when he would marry. We paid for he rehearsal dinner for his wedding when he did marry, and never spoke of the money we had given him until his bride's mother made nasty comments about her travel expenses.(She bought my DDIl dress. That was it.)The I told my son to make sure I never heard another word. Anyway, the point of my post is that parents love their children and wan tto do for both daughters and sons, Your IL's want to help, and my guess is that they are not sure yet what they can or should do without over stepping. We were sort of fortunate in that my DDIL's family's would not contribute at all, so it was easy. Let your fiance talk to them and find out what their comfort level is. And COngrats!

Which is why I think the absolute best way to do it, unless the parents are in control of the planning and the bridal couple is "just along for the ride" is for each set of parents to commit an amount based on their ability and willingness and let the kids run with it. Whatever they get, they get and whatever isn't covered either they pay for themselves or make a change of plans.

That is how we looked at it. My oldest sons wedding was more expensive than what we had budgeted for, bit that was his choice. He and my DDIL were free to keep within thtat amount or pay the additional costs themselves, which is what they decided to do.

I would never ask for a specific amount since you have no way of knowing what they can afford/would find reasonable. I would share your plans, budget, and expenses with them and let them help in whatever way they choose. If they continued to ask for a figure, I would simply explain that I wasn't comfortable making financial decisions for them.

OP- we paid for our DD' wedding. She did not ask, we wanted to do this. WE also contributed to both of our sons weddings, with my youngest son's costing the same about as my daughters. We gave my oldest his "wedding" money when he was purchasing a home because we were not sure when he would marry. We paid for he rehearsal dinner for his wedding when he did marry, and never spoke of the money we had given him until his bride's mother made nasty comments about her travel expenses.(She bought my DDIl dress. That was it.)The I told my son to make sure I never heard another word. Anyway, the point of my post is that parents love their children and wan tto do for both daughters and sons, Your IL's want to help, and my guess is that they are not sure yet what they can or should do without over stepping. We were sort of fortunate in that my DDIL's family's would not contribute at all, so it was easy. Let your fiance talk to them and find out what their comfort level is. And COngrats!
They have apparently already done this - the planning has been very open with everybody being kept in the loop. The only hold-up now is the Groom's parents will not give a number that they want to contribute and the bridal couple won't ask for a specific amount.

They have apparently already done this - the planning has been very open with everybody being kept in the loop. The only hold-up now is the Groom's parents will not give a number that they want to contribute and the bridal couple won't ask for a specific amount.
Oh I understood that. I still think the groom should discuss this with his parents. Lay the costs n the table and make sure they understand that their contribution is up to them. I would not ask for a set amount either if I was the couple, but if this parents want to participate financially, they must have an amount in mind.

Honestly, I cannot think why they are pussyfooting around the amount. They were not asked, they offered. That's why I think their son should have the conversation, because there must be a reason they are not forthcoming.

We were pretty clear with both of our sons. I had my youngest pay for the flowers, but we paid the rest. They know what we budgeted, and he was responsible for what went over. I also gifted my DDIL with her wedding gown, her mother contributed nothing, so that was her gift from me. We also gave tehm an old fashioned Jack and Jill. More like a couples shower with all the folks who would be invited to a shower included. Lovely with dinner and a band, No tickets sold. No raffles.

For my oldest sons wedding, there was a larger affair, and he had already gotten his wedding money from us. I was also clear what I would not pay for...no Jack and Jill...what they wanted was not what what I would be okay with. I did pay for a nice rehearsal dinner with my family and her visiting relatives included, and my gift to DDIL was renting the B&B for her and her bridal party and family the night before the wedding. The only surprise for DDIL was the B&B, but I was shocked the whole Fam Damily was staying with them to save hotel fees.

In this OP case, if this is how the grooms family communicates in terms of money, it may prove to be very difficult later on. Right now this is about a contribution the family offered but refuses to commit to. What happens later on when important discussions come up? You never know what tomorrow brings, and there may come a time when financial help is necessary, either with the parents or the couple. How do you do that if you cannot even figure out how to talk about an amount you want to offer, after you volunteered? That is why I think the groom needs to have a conversation with his parents. Are theyhaving buyers remorse? DO they need to have a "task" assigned to them? Are they comfortable with percentages? I think they are placing the bridal couple in a tough position, and I cant think why. But I wonder if there is a reason.

The baby shower thread spawned me to ask this question for some advice.

I'm getting married next year in a non-traditional style of wedding. We're doing a small (immediate family only) ceremony at the botanical gardens and having a large party/reception pig roast at a county park two weeks later. I'm an only child (female), so my parents have offered to pay for it. My fiance's mom told me last weekend that they (fiance's parents) want to help financially and to let them know what we'd like them to contribute. She wouldn't commit to a figure, and wanted us to tell them.

Since our wedding is not traditional and there is no rehearsal dinner (where the groom's parents usually pick up the tab), we weren't sure what a fair figure would be for them. The total for our ceremony and reception will be about $8,000. The figure we came up with for my fiance's parents to contribute is $2,000. Too much? Not enough? Looking for honest opinions. My mom thinks it's too high, but everyone else I've consulted seems to think it's fair. Thanks for the help!
I think it depends on what you think they can afford. I'd discuss it with your fiance and then have then discuss it with his parents

Thank you! I think I'm going to do a combination of some of the advice I've received by listing out all our anticipated vendor costs, and have my fiance show his parents that. I think that's the easiest, and least awkward approach.

Thanks again all for the feedback!

I think that is OK.

If they hem and haw again, I would tell them that you have it covered and maybe that will gift you the money in your wedding envelope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter