We Smelled It...It Had to be Eaten, Part II ... Ding, Dong, Done!!!

I am new to reading dining reviews and kicking myself for not venturing over here sooner! Love your reviews and I am tuned in for more. We ate at RFC in Michigan once and I agree it was charming for a few minutes but after the multiple thunderstorms and animal antics we were ready to bolt as soon as our meal was done. Even the kiddos were bored after awhile.

so...

order the juice... forget the fruit and bring earplugs...

Sounds like a gift card meal to me.... ;) ;) ;)

Another good one Bendy... I think you and Jay definately deserved your own stretch bus like limo... :thumbsup2

Not-icky Ricky might be even better with vodka or rum ... ;)

And it was the perfect gift card meal ... glad it was free!

I definetly need to show that one to Rick :lmao:

I'm not a big fan of Rain Forest but we do enjoy sitting at the bar and laughing at everyone sitting on the half animal barstools :rotfl2:

Those barstools do not look comfortable at all to me. :lmao:

I am new to reading dining reviews and kicking myself for not venturing over here sooner! Love your reviews and I am tuned in for more. We ate at RFC in Michigan once and I agree it was charming for a few minutes but after the multiple thunderstorms and animal antics we were ready to bolt as soon as our meal was done. Even the kiddos were bored after awhile.

Hi there and welcome aboard! I spend way to much time writing these things but it's fun. If you have any questions feel free to ask away and thanks for reading! :goodvibes

I dont care for the RAinForest cafe either- way too loud and overpriced. But having said that Jay's eggs benedict does look good. Maybe someone needs to suggest that they change their menu to read fresh fruit *garnish* so they can have truth in advertising. :thumbsup2

We have a RC by us here at home. We tried it once for curiosity sake, but were totally underwhelmed by the food and the prices were high. At least I know it wasn't just us. Now that is too funny about your server talking to Jay in Spanish. I guess the guy thought he was a kindred spirit there. :rotfl:

Monday, October 13th - Free Food at the Rainforest Cafe ... Why Else Would We Eat Here???

Even though we knew it was a decision that would qualify as a special kind of stupid - you know, like blow-drying your hair in the shower or placing a cup of scalding hot coffee between your legs while driving - we made an 8:30AM reservation for breakfast at the Animal Kingdom Rainforest Cafe knowing full well that Monday morning was EMH at the park and that it would likely be packed to the gills.

But if you do stupid things, you can join the ranks of the Clueless and Litigious and win major moolah in a settlement. :p

But hey, we're nothing if not adventurous, especially with a $25 gift card burning a hole in our vacation wallet.

Upon arriving at our resort bus stop we were delighted to find a CM there with a walkie-talkie; he asked us where we were headed, radioed the request in to the transportation powers-that-be, and within five minutes our chariot had arrived. And no one else in the entire resort apparently wanted to go to the Animal Kingdom because we had the bus to ourselves. Ahhh, what a luxurious waste of gasoline and space!

We've always dreamed of our own private bus...
265.jpg

I've had my own private bus "limo" before. It's nice, ain't it?

We were seated near the front of the restaurant where an elephant we referred to as Stampy peered threateningly over our shoulders. I can totally understand why families with children enjoy dining here, but after the first five thunderstorms / eruptions with squawking birds, screeching monkeys, and stampeding elephants (get it ... Stampy!), Jay and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

The bar ... pretty cool, huh?
275.jpg

The bar is actually my favorite place at the restaurant. I guess I just like sitting on animal rumps. :rotfl2:

Our waiter was a little strange ... when he first showed up at the table he spoke English to me and then turned to Jason and began speaking Spanish. I gave Jay one of those looks that plainly said, "Would this be a good time for you to tell me about the double life you've been leading?"

He returned that look with one of his own, "I haven't got a clue as to what's going on here ... I've been mistaken for a Russian and an Arab, but this is a first."

OMG! I was giggling like crazy picturing the odd glances between you two when the server started speaking Spanish to Jay! I pictured an eyebrow raise here and there from you.

Jason is always more adventurous with juice selections than I am, and he boldly chose the Rainforest Ricky, which we believe was a combination of pineapple, guaveberry, grapefruit, and strawberry juices blended together with ice. There may even have been an option to include alcohol in this, but Jay requested the booze-free version. I was skeptical when it was first delivered to the table - it fairly oozed sweet gackiness to my eyes, but Jay pronounced it quite good and urged me to give it a try.

And he was right! It was surprisingly good and not very sweet at all. I promptly requested a serving of my own when we placed our breakfast orders.

I'm going to do a Dolores Umbridge annoying throat clearing thing. Can you hear it? Can you? May I just say one thing? FRUNCH. Thank you. ;)

I ordered the Breakfast of Bandits which the menu described as follows: scrambled eggs and choice of bacon or sausage served with breakfast potatoes and fresh fruit.

But where's the fruit?
273.jpg

This was a very generous serving; the eggs occupied at least half of my plate and they were very well cooked, not too hard and not too runny. The bacon was cooked just the way I like it - chewy but not crisp - and the potatoes were well seasoned, slightly crisp little cubes that burst with hot, pulpy goodness at the first bite. My only quibble was with the fresh fruit ... or lack thereof. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to lower my expectations, but when I read "served with fresh fruit" I tend to think that means more than one strawberry and an orange quarter. And that lemon poppyseed mini-muffin doesn't qualify as fruit even if it did have a nice citrusy flavor.

Jason ordered the Benedict Bamba described as: traditional eggs benedict accompanied by breakfast potatoes and fresh fruit.

Hello ... fruit?
274.jpg

Those look adequate, but I never seem to like any fruit that restaurants serve with breakfasts. It's usually not ripe. Maybe I just have Bad Fruit Karma.

And thus ended the meal - overall it was a good start to the day and we enjoyed the food. Would we ever go back again for breakfast or any other meal? Highly unlikely unless another gift card finds us because we think that the Rainforest Cafe is over-priced, especially at lunch and dinner. In addition to that it's just not our kind of place... too loud, especially for my delicate nerves. ;)

And a warning to those of you with small, sensitive children - there were some little ones who were frightened by the noise and, thus, ironically added to it. :lmao: You might want to take that into consideration when looking into a meal at the Rainforest Cafe.

I never go to Rainforest Cafe or Planet Hollywood because it's not special enough to be WDW "different" when I can find those places in my backyard. If I had free food incentives, I might do what you did.

It wasn’t bad but it didn’t hold a candle to the No Way Jose over at Beaches & Cream. Aside from the portion size being a smaller one for the same price, they do something at B&C with their peanut butter topping that makes it a smooth, sweet, creamy joy. The peanut butter at Ghiradelli was thicker and almost gritty at times.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to make the peanut butter topping for the No Way Jose at Beaches & Cream. All it is is Jiff Smooth Peanut Butter melted down over a low heat so that it is the consistency of sauce. I've reproduced the Sundae at home and it's very good. The recipe is on our Disney Recipe Exchange.

I posted this on the community thread but I'll post it here as well ...

No updates until later this week or maybe next weekend; we had a death in the family yesterday. We knew it was coming but that doesn't make it any easier when it happens. If you can spare a moment to send some good thoughts towards my nephew Dylan and his new wife Jen (it was her mother who died last night) and her family, I'd sure appreciate it. That's a terribly difficult way to start out a new marriage ...

Hope you are all well and taking good care of each other and the ones you love. :grouphug:

Brenda - Saying a prayer for your nephew and his new spouse. So sorry to hear of the loss with in your family. And even though you knew it was coming, it is still very hard to deal with. :sad1:

Oh Brenda, that is terrible news for your nephew and his wife. That is awful that they are dealing with this at all, let alone as newlyweds. We will definitely keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Brenda, I am so sorry about the loss in your family. They're never easy, no matter how much time you might have to prepare. My thoughts and prayers will be with you all :grouphug: .

Just wanted to thank you all for the kind words, good thoughts, and prayers this week. :grouphug:

I'm working on the next review and hope to get it posted within the next day or two ... Wolfgang Puck's mysterious upstairs dining room! :upsidedow

Hey Brenda! I was getting worried about you and then realized you had started a Part 2! Sometimes I'm a little slow!

Anyway, I had posted back in November that Tom is taking me this year to celebrate my 40th. He told me to pick between Food & Wine or Christmas. Well, I decided today to do Christmas. It was tough, because of all your good reviews, but I *really* want to see the decorations! We're going WITHOUT THE KIDS December 3 - 7.

Can't wait!!!

Denise

Oh my gosh, I have so much to catch up on! For some reason, I missed the moderator post on the Part 1 and JUST NOW realized you had a second part already going!! Wow...I'm really behind!:blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter