We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals - Updated 1/15

Those beignets from Ralph Brennan's are great!

I'll be at DLR 15 - 16 September so I hope to hit up RB for some. If you're at the parks those days, hope to bump into you!

We're going to be in Colorado that whole week or else we would have loved meeting up with you :(

Hope you have a great trip, and definitely get some delicious Ralph Brennan's beignets!

Great update, good to hear that real life is going well, look forward to getting the details! :thumbsup2 Lovely picture of the Blue Bayou dining area.

We loved the Bengal BBQ when we were in DL, whilst it did seem pricey, everyone enjoyed their skewer and the food was tasty and fresh. And on reflection, I am happy to pay a bit extra for tasty, fresh and healthy options! :goodvibes

My oldest daughter was obsessed by Sleeping Beauty when she was aged 4 - 5. We watched this movie over and over again. She would jump behind the sofa/lounge whenever Maleficent appeared, but wouldn't stop watching. I actually won $50 from a magazine by quoting her reaction to the movie: "I don't like Maleficent ... but I love her dress!". :rotfl:

As always, looking forward to hearing more! popcorn::

Bengal BBQ is definitely a little on the pricey side, but we were okay splitting two skewers and the tiger tail, so it didn't end up being any more expensive than some other meals around the park.

I love that story about your daughter, and way to make some money off of it! :rotfl2:

Yes, thank you for the teaser update :)

I agree with you about the skewers - yes, tasty and yes, expensive and yes, far too easy to just duplicate at home. I tried them once and while I loved them, I prefer to spend my Disney dollars on things not so easily duplicated (such as those tasty corn dogs you mentioned :love: )

How cool that you got to do the special Fantasyland thing even though you didn't see the movie...looks like it all worked out :thumbsup2

Love the celebrity sightings and the fact that you guys got hooked on The Bachelor :rotfl: One of my guilty pleasures too :)

We've been pretty successful with our attempts at homemade bacon-wrapped asparagus on the grill, so most of our money just goes toward more corn dogs :thumbsup2

The Fantasyland event was great. It's not like it was too busy a day, so it wouldn't have been too crowded in Fantasyland anyway, but having it practically empty was very cool!

And I'm glad to hear you are guiltily hooked on The Bachelor as well. It's just one of those things... :confused3

I haven't even seen the Pacific Wharf Cafe - I really need to go in there as I love to watch bakers!

Love this photo - you are really encouraging me to stay longer after dark!

I am guilty of loving The Bachelor or Bachelorette shows - every Monday night that it came on I made certain I had my dinner and dishes finished by 8 o'clock lol

The bakery tour is definitely worth going to occasionally! The whole process is pretty cool. And any excuse to walk around Disney after dark is good by me. The parks just come to life in such a different way once all the lights come on!

I have to admit that, of course, I watched The Bachelorette after being hooked on The Bachelor, and now the cycle will inevitably start over again this spring...

I'm glad you shared your feelings on the GAC card. I'm sort of on the weird end of the fence on this one. I totally agree with you and your needing the GAC and that you should have access to it. We have never pursued it because Fran has been so pathetic for the past 15 years, there has never been a doubt about her disability.

What I appreciated was you candor about how you can't see another person's disability. Technically I am not disabled. My doctor will not give me a plaque and I really don't deserve one. However, I can not walk around the parks for a day and be able to do it again the next day, or do anything the next day for that matter.

I broke the fifth metatarcel in my left foot back in 1999, and while I was fine for the first six or seven years, I can't walk more than one mile in a day before I end up paralyzed for the next couple days. My partner Fran has RA and it is very obvious that she is disabled. Technically I am not disabled, but I'm not willing to kill a week of my life for a day at the parks. Because of that, I get my partner's "hand me down" scooters.

We both use the scooters when we go to the parks. Now we don't regularly go on rides, normally we just go for dining and shopping. Occasionally we go on rides, but mostly when we go we use fast passes, we don't pull the GAC FP (which isn't required when you are in a scooter), but I completely understand you thing about the stigma from other guests. I look like I am completely well, and for the most part I am. Unless I walk over a mile. When that happens, I can't function for days afterwards.

So back to the whole regular discussion, but I completely understand and wanted to let you know that I am on your side.

On the Bengal BBQ, that asparagus skewer is my absolute favorite in the park. I understand about how you could make it at home for much less, and I plan on doing that. I don't even have time to go out and enjoy the parks as much as I would like, I used to stuff asparagus with goat cheese and wrap them in prosciutto, at this time, I'm barely able to cook up the Hams, Tri Tips and Turkeys in my freezer before we move. Making skewers wrapped in Bacon is so far beyond my radar (although I have many pounds of bacon in the freezer that I need to use up before we move!).

Anyways, love your updates and hope to run into you soon. I will be at the park all day Wednesday, and we are doing the Aladdin show at 4:45. I'll probably take off after that....but I'll be around the parks with another DISer Pinckoto....

Thanks for sharing your story about touring with disabilities. It sounds like you definitely found the right solution for you in using a scooter! Certainly beats being paralyzed, I would say ;) Anyway, thanks for the support. :)

I absolutely recommend using us some of your bacon by making your own Safari Skewers once you get to that point in your freezer! Quite delicious when homemade as well, in our experience. Your goat cheese/asparagus/prosciutto invention sounds very interesting too though!

Hopefully we get to run into you in the parks soon. We can only do after-work hours on weekdays, and this week the parks close so early that we don't know if we'll make it much at all, so we probably won't be catching you tomorrow. Hope you have a blast, though!

Another great installment of your life's adventures!

I was wondering when you'd get around to riding Small World. I love that ride even most people avoid it like the plague. Sure the song sticks in your head....but that's half the fun, right? LOL

Glad you got to sit for WOC. We have never timed it right to see that show yet, but I'm sure we will have plenty of opportunity when we are down for the winter. I myself LOVE Fantasmic! and so far haven't had enough of it. Of course dealing with the traffic jams it creates is no picnic. But when we know for certain we will be dealing with the frustration of wall to wall people, we are prepared to be patient and just go with it.

Another IASW fan! I always get a little excited about the platypuses and their eggs. I've also recently read Rollys book so love the connection.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Fantastic visit to DLR. I love the vicarious living that I'm doing through your TR.

Interesting to see how the CM manage GAC for RSR. Always good to learn about the various techniques.

We're going to be in Colorado that whole week or else we would have loved meeting up with you :(

Hope you have a great trip, and definitely get some delicious Ralph Brennan's beignets!

Bummer on the timing! And as luck will have it, I'm heading towards Arizona and the 4-corners section of Colorado after Anaheim. I'll just bet a beignet and Tigger Tail that you and Tracy will be back in OC when I'm in CO! :lmao:

And I'll not only enjoy a beignet but I WANT a Tigger Tail AND a Dole Whip Float or four. (Yes, I am pretty demanding that way.)

Another great installment of your life's adventures!

I was wondering when you'd get around to riding Small World. I love that ride even most people avoid it like the plague. Sure the song sticks in your head....but that's half the fun, right? LOL

Glad you got to sit for WOC. We have never timed it right to see that show yet, but I'm sure we will have plenty of opportunity when we are down for the winter. I myself LOVE Fantasmic! and so far haven't had enough of it. Of course dealing with the traffic jams it creates is no picnic. But when we know for certain we will be dealing with the frustration of wall to wall people, we are prepared to be patient and just go with it.

I'm glad you're still enjoying!

I think I'm just one of the people that is immune to the IASW song. It doesn't bother me in the least, and I actually stop noticing it mid-way through the ride.

You DEFINITELY have to find a way to see WoC when you're here this winter (though the show is going to have a holiday version, so I'm not sure how different it will be). We also LOVE Fantasmic! I think it's my favorite of all the Disney nighttime spectaculars on either coast, so I understand making that a priority. I definitely wish there were a way to do better crowd control when it was going on as well, but they do the best they can...

Another IASW fan! I always get a little excited about the platypuses and their eggs. I've also recently read Rollys book so love the connection.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The platypuses and their eggs are one of my favorite parts too! I love that whole room that starts with Hawaii and then moves over to Australia. Definitely my favorite section of the ride.

Fantastic visit to DLR. I love the vicarious living that I'm doing through your TR.

Interesting to see how the CM manage GAC for RSR. Always good to learn about the various techniques.

Bummer on the timing! And as luck will have it, I'm heading towards Arizona and the 4-corners section of Colorado after Anaheim. I'll just bet a beignet and Tigger Tail that you and Tracy will be back in OC when I'm in CO! :lmao:

And I'll not only enjoy a beignet but I WANT a Tigger Tail AND a Dole Whip Float or four. (Yes, I am pretty demanding that way.)

I'm always happy to provide some vicarious adventures. :thumbsup2

I'm sure as well that we will be gone from CO by the time you're there (though we'll be in Boulder/Denver the whole time anyway, so many miles from the four corners). Sounds like you've got a great trip planned, and I hope it can include all the Disneyland snacks you've demanded plus several more!

I'm glad I'm all caught up and hope that we all meet up sometime. I'm sorry you'll be gone when PIO and I are in the parks perhaps we will find each other another time!

DisMeets are a whole lot of fun. Glad to see that you and OhioStateBuckeye met up.

Sorry that Steve has left California. Must have been real sad to say goodbye.

Ah sorry to hear Tracy's brother is moving (has moved LOL) to St Louis. Its always nice to have family close by.

LOVE your drawings of Pooh. Great job! We have never even been in the Animation Academy but its on our list for our next visit.

And how cool you got to meet up with other DISers. Hope we run into you in the parks during our next stay.

Oh and I was wondering...have you been to Universal? I can't remember.
Last time we were there was like 10 years ago and it was fun, but that was before we became Disney fanatics. So we're wondering if we should travel up there and visit again.

I'm glad I'm all caught up and hope that we all meet up sometime. I'm sorry you'll be gone when PIO and I are in the parks perhaps we will find each other another time!

I'm glad you're all caught up too and still enjoying reading! Definitely hope we can meet up sometime soon!!

DisMeets are a whole lot of fun. Glad to see that you and OhioStateBuckeye met up.

Sorry that Steve has left California. Must have been real sad to say goodbye.

DIS meets ARE a lot of fun! We've since met others from the Internet and been equally pleased with all the interactions!

We were sad to see Steve go, but there's another piece of the story coming up eventually in which he might not be totally gone for good. :thumbsup2

Ah sorry to hear Tracy's brother is moving (has moved LOL) to St Louis. Its always nice to have family close by.

LOVE your drawings of Pooh. Great job! We have never even been in the Animation Academy but its on our list for our next visit.

And how cool you got to meet up with other DISers. Hope we run into you in the parks during our next stay.

Oh and I was wondering...have you been to Universal? I can't remember.
Last time we were there was like 10 years ago and it was fun, but that was before we became Disney fanatics. So we're wondering if we should travel up there and visit again.

We were definitely sad he went since he was our only family member in the area. Luckily, it happened right as we started finally meeting other people out here, so we didn't feel too alone.

You MUST do Animation Academy next time you're here! It's one of my absolute favorite attractions because it's a different experience each time and so much fun!

We were glad to meet up with folks from the DIS too. I definitely hope we get to meet you when you're here!

We have not been to Universal Hollywood (we have been to Orlando several times), so I'm not a good authority on that one. Once the Wizarding World is built here, I think we'll probably end up getting a pass, but for now, we just leave it alone and don't spend money going up there. I'm sure it's definitely fun, though, so if you have the time, it's probably worth going.

Great update. That food at PCH Grill looks amazing. What a great dinner for your anniversary (Happy Belated Anniversary, by the way).

Sorry to read about your job but I'm guessing that we'll be reading about what happened pretty soon and that you're employed again. Hope that Tracy got new of that job soon after this time.

Another great read! I'm getting so antsy to get back to the parks its not funny. Your reports definitely get my Disney fix!

We haven't been in Paradise Pier since BEFORE it was a Disney hotel. You are right, it does seem a bit out of the way. But you've shown us that the restaurant is worth the trip.

And yeah, belated Happy First Date-iversary! You are a very cute couple! :goodvibes

Our trip plans are shaping up and it looks like we will be there the first week in November. I had located a month to month rental, but DH thought that would be a bit of a pain, especially since we'd have to find a refrigerator too! So we will stay on Harbor for three weeks....yeah! three weeks! and then go to L.A. for a week and stay at daughter's, then a week in Vegas at friends, then back to Disney for another two weeks. We have been planning and saving for this trip forever so the reality of it actually getting closer is almost more than I can stand! LOL

Great update. That food at PCH Grill looks amazing. What a great dinner for your anniversary (Happy Belated Anniversary, by the way).

Sorry to read about your job but I'm guessing that we'll be reading about what happened pretty soon and that you're employed again. Hope that Tracy got new of that job soon after this time.

Why thanks for the anniversary wishes. I'm so far behind that now we're closer to our next anniversary than this last one :rotfl: The food was definitely great at PCH Grill! Now I want to go back there again soon...

The job issue was what it was. I hated having to go crawling back to an employer I was never happy with in the first place, so even though it paid the bills for a few months, I'm glad to have moved on. Tracy's job news wasn't too long coming either, luckily.

Another great read! I'm getting so antsy to get back to the parks its not funny. Your reports definitely get my Disney fix!

We haven't been in Paradise Pier since BEFORE it was a Disney hotel. You are right, it does seem a bit out of the way. But you've shown us that the restaurant is worth the trip.

And yeah, belated Happy First Date-iversary! You are a very cute couple! :goodvibes

Our trip plans are shaping up and it looks like we will be there the first week in November. I had located a month to month rental, but DH thought that would be a bit of a pain, especially since we'd have to find a refrigerator too! So we will stay on Harbor for three weeks....yeah! three weeks! and then go to L.A. for a week and stay at daughter's, then a week in Vegas at friends, then back to Disney for another two weeks. We have been planning and saving for this trip forever so the reality of it actually getting closer is almost more than I can stand! LOL

I'm glad to be helping you get your Disney fix. I think all of the hotels (PPH included) are definitely worth a visit (or several!). You'll have to judge how much it's changed since Disney took it over. Thanks for the anniversary wishes as well. Now we recently just celebrated 8 and a half years, which reminded me exactly how far behind I am on this report!!

Your plans sound like they are coming together quite well! Probably for the best to stay at hotels and with family/friends instead of doing a month to month rental in the end because there's all those extra things like the fridge to consider. Sounds like you'll be hopping all over the west between the time here and L.A./Vegas. I'm sure it will be a blast! Hopefully my tales will distract you for a little while longer before it's time for you to head out. :thumbsup2

I just love how you can pop in and go for an animator's class everytime you head to DLR.

That's one of the things about being a local....you go for a couple of hours, hit the rides you wanna hit, enjoy the food, avoid the protein spills/shakes ....and then head home.

Great update. I really enjoyed my ride through Storybookland today.

We dream of one day seeing a Disneyland Cat acting like Godzilla in Story Book Land.

I concur with this statement. I would pay good money to go into DLR after hours and have the CMs just letting kitties loose all over that attraction! Even if the cats were just sleeping there, it would still be funny. And if you ever do see any cats there, you better document it for all your readers to see...it's very important, lol!

Haven't been able to comment on every update, but I've still been steadily reading along! Loving all of the adventures thus far and looking forward to all those to come still for us readers! Glad you and Tracy were able to get an awesome deal on a TS for your anniversary, I bet that made the day extra special!

Wow good thing Tracy alerted you to the protein puddle...that would have put a real downer into your day!

Your drawings of Pluto are totally cool! Do either of you draw outside of Disney? I'm a terrible sketcher, so I'm curious to see if the academy can help me draw something even remotely similar to the subject at hand.

I agree the little "extras" Disney provides really make the experience. We haven't seen "just add water" yet but if its going on while we are there we will try and watch it. Goofy is my favorite.

And you mentioned seeing Duffy in one of the attractions. That makes me wonder...how is your Duffy? You haven't mentioned him in awhile. Do you ever bring him with you these days to see his relatives?

52 days until we leave the NW and head for THE PARKS! I am so ready to go NOW but I know the day will be here before ya know it. Time goes so fast!

pixiedust: :beach: pixiedust: :hourglass pixiedust: :beach: pixiedust:

Wow, I have spent forever reading this thread, haha, but I enjoyed it!

I didn't know you can go into the Disney hotels and just hang out there, even if you are not a guest in that hotel. I guess you can since you two were able to. I would love to check out the Disney hotels, just to look around... I would love to stay in a Disney hotel but I just can't justify spending so much money... I don't make a lot of money, so we just stay at a cheaper motel when we go to Disney parks.

I would love to live near Disneyland and be able to go often, that is very awesome you two have been able to do that. Your condo looks really nice too! :)

These last few updates were so fun to read popcorn::

Yeah, it's kind of a shame about the restaurant at the PPH. They never seem to have anybody in there. We have only done Lilo and Stich's breakfast there, and that was a few years ago ... the food was really good and the character interaction was so much fun, yet it was 1/4 as busy as Goofy's Kitchen.

I agree with you about the kitties being let loose in Storybrook! That would be so cute.

I don't remember the last time that I posted. I keep getting behind, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm still reading along!

It's too bad that you won't be around this weekend while PIO and I are running around at the parks. I hope that you have a nice trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter