We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals - Updated 1/15

Nice pictures of the fireworks and you managed to get Tink!

What a great night! And congrats on getting the 200+ tweet special.

Wow! you guys got a lot done! So glad to follow your report! You two are too cool with what you do. I hope we can visit as may spots as you had!!!!

We were definitely good at getting a lot done on these first few days! As much as we wanted to pace ourselves, it was hard to get into the mindset of realizing we could come back whenever we want! Hopefully you'll be able to do a lot when you get down here this weekend! I'm glad that you're enjoying reading :thumbsup2

Thanks for another great installment! Your reports help keep me connected to Disney, living so far away.

We do the same thing as you do. We follow a flexible plan and ride the rides with no waits over about 20 minutes...sometimes we'll wait 30 depending on our mood.

Happy to see you got to ride Peter Pan without the usual 40 minute wait.

Where would you recommend we stand while the fireworks are going on so we can be one of the first to ride PP once they open the rides again when fireworks are finished?

I'm so glad we can bring you a piece of Disney when you can't be here. That's one thing I definitely am trying to do!

I think being flexible about your plan is the only way to go. We are all about trying to find the shortest waits. I'm sure we spend just as much time walking from place to place as we would just waiting in line, but we like our way of doing things!

I would say that it doesn't REALLY matter where you watch the fireworks to get in line for that Fantasyland rope drop because it doesn't happen until at least 15-30 minutes after the fireworks are finished (they have to get an all-clear from the fire marshal before they let anyone back in). So I'd just find a good spot in Fantasyland and watch from there. I know at it's a small world, they pump in the music and do some projections on the facade, so that might be a good place to watch and then you can head over and join the mob waiting to get back into Fantasyland.

The porch on Main Street! I couldn't remember where I had read about that.

We were just there in July and I had told my daughter that I had read about a porch on Main street that had chairs on it and that I really wanted to find them when they were empty and sit and eat ice cream and watch people go by.
On one of our last nights we were starting to wear out but were determined to stay until the park closed. We were walking down Main Street and to my great delight, the porch was empty!
We sat up there with our treat and watched people go by until Midnight. We played a game of 'Guess how many days they've been at DLR' as we people watched. ;)

So thank you for the wonderful tip! It's one of our favorite memories from our trip. :cloud9:

I'm so glad we helped you discover "the porch"!!

It's such a great place to just sit back and people-watch, and I LOVE the game your family played while you did so! Sounds like a great trip that you had, and I'm glad it ended so well :cool1:

Nice pictures of the fireworks and you managed to get Tink!

What a great night! And congrats on getting the 200+ tweet special.

Glad you liked the pictures! I was shocked I was able to snap one of Tink while she went by so fast :rotfl:

It really was a great night in the parks, and we loved finally being able to take advantage of a DCA Today Twitter special after following them for so long from outside the parks.

I think I was expecting a different kind of Pocahontas picture. :rotfl:

What awesome pixie dust to get in the Fast pass side of the queue due to kindness of comparative strangers. I think that's what I love most about being at Disney....there just seems to be random acts of kindness almost everywhere; if you choose to look for it.

Great update.

Aww, how fantastic to meet Panchos mum! I'm going to have to make sure I pay them a visit when I'm there, I just love donkeys. How lucky you both were to get on RSR with such a long wait, I've only been on it once and would love to ride it at night.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I love how excited you are about RSR....me too!

Last time we were down there, we rode it as many times as we could using the single rider line. And yes, Radiator Springs at night is just gorgeous. They did a fabulous job with the scenery and lighting and everything.

And to get on the ride with such a short wait! Talk about Disney magic, the people who shared their fast pass with you...well, that's what is so amazing about Disneyland, you never know what is coming next! What a great surprise.

The reunions over, we went back to resume our day at Disneyland, though we may have been better off if we had just stayed at the Ranch for the rest of the day…

Uh oh...sounds ominous!

I think I was expecting a different kind of Pocahontas picture. :rotfl:

What awesome pixie dust to get in the Fast pass side of the queue due to kindness of comparative strangers. I think that's what I love most about being at Disney....there just seems to be random acts of kindness almost everywhere; if you choose to look for it.

Great update.

:rotfl2: I love that you were expecting a princess and got a donkey! Very good.

We definitely lucked out with getting to go on RSR that night. Someone knew that we could use a little extra magic to top off our day! pixiedust: Disney people are a great lot, and we've had many other good experiences in the months since.

Aww, how fantastic to meet Panchos mum! I'm going to have to make sure I pay them a visit when I'm there, I just love donkeys. How lucky you both were to get on RSR with such a long wait, I've only been on it once and would love to ride it at night.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

You ABSOLUTELY must go back to the Ranch and visit with the donkeys. They're among my favorite "attractions" at Disneyland :thumbsup2

Hopefully you can also figure out a way to ride RSR at night as it is spectacular. You're only outside to appreciate the lights for a small portion of the ride, but if you remember to look around, you'll experience some awesome views!

Great updates!!! :p

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying :cool1:

I love how excited you are about RSR....me too!

Last time we were down there, we rode it as many times as we could using the single rider line. And yes, Radiator Springs at night is just gorgeous. They did a fabulous job with the scenery and lighting and everything.

And to get on the ride with such a short wait! Talk about Disney magic, the people who shared their fast pass with you...well, that's what is so amazing about Disneyland, you never know what is coming next! What a great surprise.

The reunions over, we went back to resume our day at Disneyland, though we may have been better off if we had just stayed at the Ranch for the rest of the day…

Uh oh...sounds ominous!

The whole experience with RSR was the perfect "first experience" with the ride. We loved every minute of it, from the start of the queue up through the exit, and we continue to love it every time. I think it's beautiful during the day and majestic at night. No complaints here :)

As you'll see, the rest of our next day didn't fare quite as well, but what can you do? :confused3

:thumbsup2

Awww. So sorry you weren't feeling well on Dapper Dan day and I'm glad you got out of there. DLR is no fun when you're not well.

Seems like the day after was much better, crowd wise.

Taylor, I'm so sorry you had to have that unfortunate experience at Disneyland--how miserable for you!:sad2:

I'm also sorry that the morning of Dapper Day was crowded--we arrived there that day, in the late afternoon and evening, and the only place we found crowding, was on Main Street (especially at the Plaza Inn)!

On a good note, your fireworks pictures are really beautiful, and my favorite pic is the one of you and Tracy, on the Main Street Front Porch--so fun!

Love all the pics!!...My DD4 was TERRIFIED of the country bears she would not go near any of them!! And would actually run if one came near her :scared: We missed so much on our last trip so I can't wait to go back for our 10 day trip next summer....and were planning on getting the Deluxe AP's and going back the summer after also...I would love to take each kid for their b day just me and them but I don't know if that will be in the budget or not

Terrific story, from beginning to (this current) end.

I cry every time at the fireworks, too. Our favorite (unplanned) spot to watch them has been on the canal boats when Fantasyland shuts down....so peaceful and amazing to see them high above you.

You two are a lovely, lovely couple.

Awww. So sorry you weren't feeling well on Dapper Dan day and I'm glad you got out of there. DLR is no fun when you're not well.

Seems like the day after was much better, crowd wise.

I was glad we were able to make a quick exit as well. Definitely wasn't the place to be that day, especially with all those crowds EVERYWHERE.

The day after was MUCH better.

Taylor, I'm so sorry you had to have that unfortunate experience at Disneyland--how miserable for you!:sad2:

I'm also sorry that the morning of Dapper Day was crowded--we arrived there that day, in the late afternoon and evening, and the only place we found crowding, was on Main Street (especially at the Plaza Inn)!

On a good note, your fireworks pictures are really beautiful, and my favorite pic is the one of you and Tracy, on the Main Street Front Porch--so fun!

Luckily the situation itself wasn't anything new in terms of how I was feeling. It just stunk to have it happen at Disneyland. Oh well, at least we were able to make an escape.

That's interesting that it wasn't crowded when you were there on Dapper Day. It wasn't even that early when we were there (after lunch, probably around 1-3?) so we must have just arrived with the bulk of the crowds and they didn't stick around for that long.

Glad you liked the pictures! I was very proud of my little camera for capturing some good fireworks ones! And we always love taking a few "selfies" on our porch :thumbsup2

Love all the pics!!...My DD4 was TERRIFIED of the country bears she would not go near any of them!! And would actually run if one came near her :scared: We missed so much on our last trip so I can't wait to go back for our 10 day trip next summer....and were planning on getting the Deluxe AP's and going back the summer after also...I would love to take each kid for their b day just me and them but I don't know if that will be in the budget or not

I can honestly understand being scared of the Country Bears. They're probably among the tallest characters in the parks and could easily seem imposing to a kid.

A 10 day trip sounds great! As does getting APs so you can return again the following year-- way to plan ahead! Hopefully you can also make it out for the kids' birthdays too. That sounds like it would be a special experience!

Terrific story, from beginning to (this current) end.

I cry every time at the fireworks, too. Our favorite (unplanned) spot to watch them has been on the canal boats when Fantasyland shuts down....so peaceful and amazing to see them high above you.

You two are a lovely, lovely couple.

Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying reading along. :)

That sounds like a great place to watch the fireworks, though it must be very difficult to time correctly. Sounds like one of those things you just have to luck into!

Fantastic to get into RSR last thing.

That pizza looks good. I think I'll put it on my list for September.

Sorry to hear about dapper day :sick:

I love Monsters Inc too :) I'm not a big fan of the Ghost Galaxy overlay (it makes it too bright in there and kinda ruins the coaster-in-the-dark effect for me) and I'm glad it's only there for about a month.

Sooooo cool that you got to ride RSR at closing. I need to try to do that someday!

I read your trip reports and now your "life" report. All very interesting and wonderfully retold. You are a talented storyteller

Dapper Day was so crowded! That is the day that we got there and we spent the afternoon in the park. I thought our whole trip was pretty crowded...but then again the last (and first) time we'd been to DL was before the Carsland expansion.

OK finally all caught up again after the D23 convention! You two really packed it in during those first few days of passholderdom!

Sorry you had a day of feeling cruddy at the parks. We've been getting out there a little bit more often, so maybe we will run into you. Nice that you could experience a little magic from other folks in riding RSR. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

It must be difficult to write about what has happened so long ago. I'm having trouble remembering the details of my D23 Expo trip and that was only a couple weeks ago! :rotfl2:

You two look like you are having lots of fun with your APs! Love the photo's. :thumbsup2

Have been busy watching the entire series of Greek :happytv: I just finished the final season! Loved it, thanks for the recommendation :goodvibes. I am bit lost as to what to watch next ... I might have to go back and watch Gilmore Girls again! Unless you have any suggestions??? popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter