We had a Disney December, Bahamian Xmas, NYC NYE and then some!! COMPLETED!

Hard Rock Hotel & Universal City Walk

After settling into the room and unpacking a bit, we decided we would go for a walk around the resort grounds and then over to Universal City Walk. Before we did that we went and arranged our Express passes which were part of the benefit of staying at the hotel. They had Kiosks in the lobby where your had your photo taken and express passes printed. We then went to avail ourselves of the “Evening Reception” at the Hard Rock Hotel Club. This was from 5:30pm to 7:00pm and was drinks and canapés. It was nice to be able to have some drinks and some hot and cold appetiser like dishes. This evening we spoke to one of the staff, Koshie and he was awesome. We asked him for his opinion on a plan of attach for the parks. He gave us some great advice and we decided to follow it.

After the having some drinks and food at the club, we walked around the grounds around the pool, checked out the menu for the two restaurants on site.

DSC_0151_zpsxjtcca96.jpg

DSC_0154_zps9vdhsb0h.jpg

DSC_0152_zps5pfpcy3a.jpg

DSC_0157_zps8feiyn6j.jpg

DSC_0159_zpsm6ldeam5.jpg

Then we walked over to Universal City walk. We saw the entrance for USO. I hadn’t been aware that there was a Macy’s parade which was on each day, so that was a bonus. We saw a sign which whet our appetite for seeing the new Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express, both which we planned to do first thing the next morning.

DSC_0165_zpsipkylgjc.jpg

DSC_0182_zpsq4mshvig.jpg

DS photobombing

DSC_0174_zpsbyt0pcwh.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsbtypa5ud.jpg

DSC_0190_zpsbhjhpmk9.jpg

DSC_0197_zps7y8pz3g5.jpg

DSC_0201_zpsyqid7lu3.jpg

As for dinner, in the end we ended going back to the hotel and having dinner in one of the restaurants on site, The Kitchen. Food was plentiful and very nice. We ended up eating here another evening also.

IMG_1583_zpsbw2ybvb3.jpg

Day 8 – Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios – Hogwarts Express

We all rested well and woke quite early. We weren’t sure if we were going to go to breakfast at the Hard Rock Club before we went to the parks this morning. We decided not to given that we wanted to get away a little early to make the most of the early entrance into Islands of Adventure and also because both DW & I was going to ride the Forbidden Journey ride so we thought that would be better to do on an empty stomach! We did pick up some bottles of water from the club before we left. The advice we got from Cochie at the Club the night before was to go to Hogwarts first with the early entry and ride Forbidden Journey and any others there you might like then make our way to Hogmeade’s station to catch the Hogwarts express over to Kings Cross Station and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios. This worked out really well. We did rider swap as DS did not want to ride Forbidden Journey. Then I rode it again so I felt I got my fill of it. After this we went to the much anticipated Hogsmeade station to catch the Hogwarts Express. The cast members scan your tickets going into the station as you need to have Park to Park tickets given that the Hogwarts Express takes you into Universal Studios Park. I had purposely not read to much about the journey on the Hogwarts express as I wanted to experience it well relatively fresh eyes so to speak.

We walked through the station and up to the platform. Just as we arrived at the platform there was a train leaving.

DSC_0211_zpsiyoax1xk.jpg

Here is a short video of the train leaving.

Not too long later the train that would be taking us to kings Cross Station, London arrived. Here is a video of the train arriving.

There are plenty of youtube videos of the journey itself. I didn’t take one as it does say you are not supposed to take any videos or photos which in motion and I really just wanted to enjoy it. We were in a carriage with 3 others. There is a video screen which is the window which has all the scenery going by as you make the trip which starts of leaving Hogwarts and a Hippogriff flying along side. You also have shadows and voice from people in the hallway. It is really well done and a must experience. The trip itself is short about 4 minutes.

Arrived at Kings Cross Station

DSC_0214_zps8pyf2oa1.jpg

DSC_0215_zpskrjurzk3.jpg

DSC_0216_zpswdszrzn6.jpg

DSC_0218_zpspbpaejm3.jpg

I remember is was really cold walking through the station after we got off the train.

DSC_0221_zpsljk38gys.jpg

And then, Diagon Alley……

DSC_0224_zpsklsrf78n.jpg

I agree the train is very well done, hope you did the trip both ways.

We got a couple of videos of us walking through platform 9 /3 qtrs.

Yes we did the trip back the other way on a different day. :)

Last edited:

So cool!
We are reading the Harry Potter books now and I am more excited about going here than anyone. I have been waiting until the kids were old enough! LOL.
Do you think the rides are OK for a 9 and 7 yo? We watched the Gringotts one on youtube and DS6 was a bit scared.
Would love to hear what you all think. Both children want to get an interactive wand. did you guys do this and was it worth it? Or anyone?
I am totally enjoying your TR lffam. Thank you

So cool!
We are reading the Harry Potter books now and I am more excited about going here than anyone. I have been waiting until the kids were old enough! LOL.
Do you think the rides are OK for a 9 and 7 yo? We watched the Gringotts one on youtube and DS6 was a bit scared.
Would love to hear what you all think. Both children want to get an interactive wand. did you guys do this and was it worth it? Or anyone?
I am totally enjoying your TR lffam. Thank you

There are scary elements of both rides, and if you have seen them on youtube, then I think you are going to be the best judge as to if your kids will like them or not. We did get the interactive wand for DS he liked it. "worth it" well that's subjective really lol It's and experience they can have that s pretty unique as far as I know so for us yes it was, others may think different.

There are scary elements of both rides, and if you have seen them on youtube, then I think you are going to be the best judge as to if your kids will like them or not. We did get the interactive wand for DS he liked it. "worth it" well that's subjective really lol It's and experience they can have that s pretty unique as far as I know so for us yes it was, others may think different.

Thanks. I think we will get the wand but will check out the rides a bit more closely and maybe do a rider swap with our eldest.

Thanks. I think we will get the wand but will check out the rides a bit more closely and maybe do a rider swap with our eldest.
You have probably seen them in action, but I have a couple of short videos of DS using them I will post when I get to them which will be soon I hope !

Great photos of Carsland. I think your DW is reliving her childhood on the Silly Swings! I loved them a a kid but now they make me feel motion sick :(

Hardrock Hotel looks good - I am impressed - dedication - making the beds before you leave for photo purposes! If I forget you get unmade bed pics - lol! Glad you enjoyed US and the HP parts. In retrospect wish I'd bought an interactive wand (felt a bit odd a 50 something buying one and using it!)

Great photos of Carsland. I think your DW is reliving her childhood on the Silly Swings! I loved them a a kid but now they make me feel motion sick :(

Hardrock Hotel looks good - I am impressed - dedication - making the beds before you leave for photo purposes! If I forget you get unmade bed pics - lol! Glad you enjoyed US and the HP parts. In retrospect wish I'd bought an interactive wand (felt a bit odd a 50 something buying one and using it!)
Thanks AW appreciate the comments.

Yes DW does have a great look of joy on her face when on Silly Swings. I was pretty happy with my photography also ;)

HRH was great. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. We ended up staying 3 nights, rather than 2 night like the last time, because we said we wanted to have some down time at the resort, but we didn't end up doing this at all, we loved USO and IOA so much we spent most of our time at the parks

Last edited:
Day 8 – Diagon Alley

We walked into Diagon Alley and we felt we had been truly transported. From the very first sight of the cast members, to then look up to see Diagon Alley. It has been so well done I’ll just post the photos and let you all see for yourselves.

DSC_0226_zpsm3ddw88m.jpg

DSC_0228_zpsmrvml3nn.jpg

DSC_0235_zpsmngnz8io.jpg

DSC_0231_zpstdp3t06c.jpg

Weasleys Wizard Wheezes
DSC_0229_zpsxujmjs7n.jpg

DSC_0237_zpssgxj4kbv.jpg

DSC_0239_zpst6srovml.jpg

DSC_0243_zpsxcdjew2f.jpg

DSC_0240_zpsftufv5uo.jpg

DSC_0245_zpsio1aaxhf.jpg

DSC_0246_zpsopcezxgv.jpg

DSC_0249_zpshxw9guqs.jpg

DSC_0251_zpsgclb7hz1.jpg

DSC_0253_zpsqdrzor3a.jpg

DSC_0250_zps3zwl8wla.jpg

DSC_0255_zpsulk245c8.jpg

DSC_0254_zpsfruvkeam.jpg

DSC_0312_zpsyg4sjypv.jpg

DSC_0314_zpsfj1btufe.jpg

DSC_0315_zps8drbisjj.jpg

DSC_0316_zpspl2jch3e.jpg

DSC_0318_zpsjoyolipg.jpg

DSC_0317_zpsnht7te52.jpg

DSC_0319_zps6whypewr.jpg

DSC_0322_zpshi0imlvs.jpg

DSC_0324_zpsohv0jmtt.jpg

One of the interactive wand positions which makes the water run.

DSC_0328_zpsjeofaf65.jpg

DSC_0321_zpssbx1ggwa.jpg

DSC_0256_zpsn9hupsow.jpg

Last edited:
Your Universal photos are awesome and, again, thanks for sharing. It's fun reading your TR and get me excited to think we are actually finally going back in January. However, as you know, I'm extremely keen to read of your BWV experiences so will that be coming soon? :)

Your Universal photos are awesome and, again, thanks for sharing. It's fun reading your TR and get me excited to think we are actually finally going back in January. However, as you know, I'm extremely keen to read of your BWV experiences so will that be coming soon? :)

@Travel Mum thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad you like them. I've got a few more days of USO to post and then we get to BWV so please stay tuned! I hope I don't let you down now that you have waited so long lol !

Day 8 Cont Diagon Alley Part 2

Ok so after the photo dump I figured I better have a bit of narrative.

Escape from Gringotts ride – AWESOME!! Neither DS or DW wanted to do this so I was on my own. As with The Forbidden Journey Ride, there is no Express pass for this ride. I went up the single rider line, bypassing a very very long line. The down side of this is that you don’t really get to see inside the main bank itself with the Goblins. So if this is something you really want to see up close, you get a bit of view but not a great one, then you will need to go in the normal line. The single rider path was kind of parallel to the main one but as I mentioned the view is obscured and then blocked, it then turns and basically runs down the other side and you end up meeting back and then splitting on a two way staircase and on all my rides (4 of them) I walked right up the stairs to only have to wait a short amount of time to fit into a cart .

As I said earlier the ride is fantastic, I just loved it. It does have some drops and fast turns but I could handle them and I don’t like rollercoaster rides. Which ages is suited for? Well that really depends on your child. I saw kids 10yo going on it. Really just depends, it is dark and there are drops and turns and HP imagery all around. If they like Forbidden Journey, then this would be no problem for them I think. If they do any of the roller coasters, then provided that being indoors and the HP imagery from the later movies isn’t a problem then I would think they would be fine. But you are going to know your kids best to decide what is right for them.

Here is a short video of the Gringotts Dragon

Here is another short video of one of the Interactive wand spots. You will see the curtains open and then there was a model inside of moving characters and music which started, which unfortunately I didn’t actually video lol

Some of the interactive wands spots took quite a number of turns to get it to work. There are cast members usually around to help out when someone was having a bit of difficulty. It is a very immersive experience and this is another one that is quite unique. I can’t remember how much the wands were, but I know DS would have been disappointed if he didn’t experience it. Plus, we are softies so he was always going to get one lol!

Some more photos from this truly magical place.

DSC_0264_zpspgijp8kv.jpg

Breakfast in the Leaky Cauldron
DSC_0269_zpsbopuq8do.jpg

DSC_0272_zpszrnorceg.jpg

DSC_0276_zpsiuomcnge.jpg

DSC_0274_zpsodfdyoaa.jpg

DSC_0271_zpsmfjia0ry.jpg

DSC_0273_zpsdpgfferw.jpg

DSC_0275_zpsuvp9uihq.jpg

Harry Potter Chess Set was really tempting to buy
DSC_0279_zpsq32xrmjh.jpg

DSC_0283_zps7niv5m0i.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsv0jpsmqn.jpg

DSC_0283_zps7niv5m0i.jpg

DSC_0286_zpstqbhutlc.jpg

DSC_0300_zpsyhctmghx.jpg

DSC_0277_zpsstd5pyvv.jpg

DSC_0278_zpsh7l41jv4.jpg

DSC_0291_zps5udr7a25.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsbcgkapy2.jpg

DSC_0296_zpsozzjbyx7.jpg

DSC_0295_zps92hm0iou.jpg

DSC_0293_zps3ozuknyt.jpg

DSC_0294_zpseypmixk5.jpg

Olivanders
DSC_0306_zps7mtqueev.jpg

DSC_0305_zpswkmsd6cg.jpg

DSC_0288_zps3qpshaog.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsa1hg7aet.jpg

DSC_0290_zpsdrwtq14s.jpg

DSC_0309_zpspvbpifht.jpg

You could do this whole interactive video at Shutterbuttons, which put you into various scenes/sets from HP . it looked kind of cool, but we didn’t end up doing it, but you should check it out as it might really appeal to some.

DSC_0304_zpsfeb1jy4y.jpg

DSC_0307_zpsgerl3omp.jpg

DSC_0321_zpsduiyh0ix.jpg

DSC_0310_zpsmm13xz7g.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8 cont..Animal Actors and The Blues Brothers

After getting our fill of Harry Potter for a while, we headed out and across to Animal Actors. We had seen this twice before, once in Hollywood, and once here at Orlando and one we really enjoyed. Before they show they had a meet and greet with two of the dogs. We were hoping one of them would be the Yellow Lab, but it wasn’t, but they were really nice dogs nonetheless and being a dog loving family it was nice to interact with them.

DSC_0333_zpswkjpouen.jpg

DSC_0338_zpsrwc8mavu.jpg

DSC_0346_zpswxj9rcxq.jpg

DSC_0350_zpsavmbclvp.jpg

DSC_0340_zpslkm8ho8h.jpg

Great Scott It's a Delorean!
IMG_1589_zpszwytkmmm.jpg

Animal Actors Show. Hasn't changed since we first saw it in 2010, but still worth seeing.
DSC_0001_zpso0smczhx.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsx3k3xomk.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsg3lr738c.jpg

We all have a massive soft spot for Labradors especially Yellow ones as we have one ourselves. This one was from Marley & Me.

DSC_0024_zps7y85mjv7.jpg

DSC_0028_zpstxmddx0b.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsku6myemi.jpg

This one looks like our cat at home.
DSC_0040_zpspi9yczoc.jpg

DSC_0048_zpsmifsmrek.jpg

DSC_0032_zps0g2mycll.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsvgdejfgp.jpg

We saw the Blues Brothers show. This was quite short but entertaining. The one in Hollywood that we saw in 2010 was a lot better we all thought. DS was disappointed they didn't do his favorite song from BB, "Shake your Tail Feather".

DSC_0059_zpsncbtpfhy.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsizqoewf0.jpg

DSC_0080_zpsuuj37mbo.jpg

DSC_0077_zpsjttbz0hd.jpg

DSC_0078_zpsfxz7hfrb.jpg

DSC_0083_zpsvszsiief.jpg

DSC_0084_zpseud5o2pf.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8 cont..Macy's Holiday Parade

After this we were able to get a spot close by The Macy’s Holiday parade. We actually didn’t know it was on prior to coming to USO the day before. It was really well done. Heaps of huge inflated “balloon’ animals, floats and performers. It is quite a production getting them around, with people tied to them walking them along following the directions of a spotter.

DSC_0137_zps1zv1uv6i.jpg

DSC_0068_zpsa8shav5a.jpg

The are creating a new 3D attraction - Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon due to open in in 2017.
DSC_0050_zpsyioqn8bv.jpg

DSC_0056_zps574kpn4p.jpg

DSC_0064_zpseweqv5dy.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsotdbemq9.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsqmuavp1c.jpg

DSC_0061_zpszjrpyhlq.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsbf6ohszq.jpg

DSC_0065_zpslvntiztz.jpg

DSC_0087_zpsiolcvpjk.jpg

DSC_0085_zpstmzkpxzu.jpg

DSC_0096_zps3wreyc2f.jpg

DSC_0107_zps9h7sz9if.jpg

DSC_0102_zpsztabfoee.jpg

DSC_0109_zpsf0wfmzb9.jpg

DSC_0113_zps2yerrw8c.jpg

DSC_0112_zpsxlstmdmo.jpg

DSC_0120_zpscvh5nbmh.jpg

DSC_0115_zpsrgvnzqca.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsb4rludpl.jpg

DSC_0117_zps0c99h0bn.jpg

DSC_0122_zpssqhvgos0.jpg

DSC_0121_zpsdzlvkugz.jpg

DSC_0123_zpsctcowucg.jpg

DSC_0125_zpsidzlg00j.jpg

DSC_0129_zpslgqqoi55.jpg

DSC_0130_zpskpkgvuyf.jpg

DSC_0124_zps5f2iw67j.jpg

Continued next post...

Last edited:
More Macy's Holiday Parade...

DSC_0127_zpscpepr7zg.jpg

DSC_0131_zpsvw78yyny.jpg

DSC_0134_zpsdymbwr1i.jpg

DSC_0133_zps0qokure2.jpg

DSC_0138_zpstqqz57kr.jpg

DSC_0141_zpsxmauhmi8.jpg

DSC_0140_zpsuh21rji0.jpg

DSC_0148_zpssyzaeraj.jpg

DSC_0144_zpsknnocj5i.jpg

DSC_0145_zps6uusw6ik.jpg

DSC_0143_zpsuoliguvm.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsdoxidwk2.jpg

DSC_0151_zpsd8qbd3xs.jpg

DSC_0147_zpsnjtyh443.jpg

DSC_0152_zpsyd7jag4r.jpg

DSC_0158_zpsj8hgxjju.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsphqrczkj.jpg

DSC_0165_zpsx2vor2g5.jpg

My artistic shot
DSC_0172_zpszw8qqy7x.jpg

After that the park was closing so we made our way to the water taxi for our short trip back to Hard Rock Hotel. We went to the hard Rock Club for the Evening reception & drinks and then went to the Kitchen again for dinner.

Hard Rock Hotel Offerings for the day

IMG_1591_zpsjjzkfz6c.jpg

End day 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter