• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We carry moist towelettes. A *Mostly* Germ-Free TR ........

Just got home from volunteering at school in the library! Those kidlets were on HIGH POWER today! Whew!

Good thing I pretty much have that card catalog memorized! :thumbsup2

Typing update now...patience peoples! ;)

Mel:love:

I forgot to add in my last update that before we went to the pool this morning, we went to the desk outside the hotel entrance to check in for our flights. This is a new service they offer for select airlines (we flew airtran so I know that was one, but don't remember the others). We just gave them our names and where we were flying to and they printed our boarding passes so we wouldn't have to go to the check in at the airport. VERY COOL! I think that next to ME, this might be the best thing going for the resort guests! OK, on to the REAL update....

Our return to the room for lunch and a shower to remove all the chlorine and sunblock for N was very relaxing. I decided to take a couple of photos from our balcony to show the folks back home what they were missing.

100_0259.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0342.jpg

The day we arrived I spent about 10 minutes figuring out how to get hooked up to the internet in our room so that every night I could download the photos from my digital camera. Then I uploaded them onto my Kodak site so that my DH and DS14 could see what we’d done on that day. Well, all except the MGM “bad day”. I didn’t upload anything that night. Obviously! So, that worked out pretty well. I highly recommend this route if you have a laptop that you’d want to haul around the airports all day! :sad2:

After we had lunch and got dressed I kicked back on the bed for a while and we watched cartoons. By this point it was nearly 1pm. I realized then that it was REALLY our last day! Oh my gosh! We had to get DS14 SOMETHING.....We hadn’t found anything for him at all yet. So, I just decided to bite the bullet (so to speak) and tell N that as much as I’d like to lie on the bed all day till ME picked us up, we should go do something. He agreed. I asked him what he thought about going to DTD? Since our park tix had been used up and we really didn’t have enough time to go play miniature golf. That might be just the ticket! I can shop, we can check out the pins and then grab a pretzel at Wetzel’s. He was on board with that plan! :thumbsup2

We packed our bags (I didn’t want to chance leaving all our stuff in case we were short on time coming back or if Lodgekeeping somehow didn’t know we were supposed to have the room late) and we got ready to go. This time I insisted on N bringing the water-misting-fan thingy. Oh, I didn’t tell that story! :rolleyes1

**Backtrack....The “bad day” at Epcot and MGM: I told N to bring the water misting fan thingy with him. He said he didn’t want to carry it. I said, we really really need that thing. It’s HOT out there and we will want it for sure because there is a TON of outside stuff in the World Showcase (not knowing of course that he would refuse to see any except UK) and we’ll be hot! He would NOT carry it. Well, I was already carrying the water bottle, the “CUP”, and my backpack (which was HEAVY). So, I said fine I’m not carrying it. I’m already carrying a ton of stuff and let him leave it behind. I LEARNED MY LESSON ABOUT THAT THOUGH.....so back to this update......

Anyway, I had filled it with water and put it in the “freezer” part of our fridge in the a.m. before we went to the pool area. So, it was nice and chilly when we left to go to DTD. Smart Me. He carried it and took his Momma seriously when she said, SPRAY ME! I had him hose me down every 5 minutes. It wasn’t really that hot at the bus stop waiting on the bus but I was paranoid after the “Bad day.” Our first trip before the bus stop was the bell desk to check our suitcases for ME. They handled that wonderfully and told us to be back for the bus by 4:15 pm. OK. No Problem. We decided to take the bus to DTD and walked out the long hallway next to the Mercantile. The sun was shining but the bus area has nice shady benches. The crowd grew a bit and by then we had a nice bunch of people waiting. N took turns spraying me down with the bottle fan and talking with a little girl.

Our bus arrived and I checked my watch to see what time it was. I wanted to time the bus from our hotel to DTD so that I would know when to get back onto it for returning by 4:15 pm. It was 1:20 pm. We got on and the driver proceeded to stop at about 4 other hotels on the way! Argh! It was 1:55 pm by the time we FINALLY arrived at the DTD bus stop. The bus lets you off on the EXTREME right hand side of the shopping district near the Xmas shop. Unfortunately, the one store that N requested we visit was the LEGO store and that is at the extreme LEFT side of the shopping area! Argh. Ok, we gather our belongings and I ask the driver what time HE recommends that I come back to board the bus for returning to the WL. He was sort of grumpy. He says, “Well, it’s 2pm now. Disney recommends you give yourself 1 and 1/2 hours to get back from DTD on a bus to ANY resort. And the next bus will be here at 2:40. SO, be here by then or you won’t make it.” Ok. So, we have 40 minutes of shopping???? And then we have to ride the bus for 90 minutes? Uh. OK. :yay:

We jump off and I convince N to run with me all the way across the HOT pavement to the LEGO store. He’s game. We race over there and arrive in under 6 minutes. Not too bad for a 10 yr. old with short legs and a dehydrated mom. The LEGO store is quieter than on our many previous visits. I take a deep breath and tell N to shop and enjoy himself. After all, it’s his last day of his Bday trip. We take some funny photos...

100_0347.jpg

100_0346.jpg

100_0345.jpg

We make our own LEGO guys. This is pretty cool. You get a body, a head, a hat and a weapon. You get to make three guys for 10 dollars. N makes two for him and one (a rampaging business man in suit with a battleaxe for DH) and we check out. I really like the LEGO store if for no other reason than the cool things THEY build. WE ogle the Ferrari sets that are 60 dollars and up. N wants one really bad. I say, tell Santa and I’m sure you’ll get one.... :santa:

We exit the store and photograph this very attractive family with their pets.

100_0348.jpg

I decide that this is NOT going to be a 40 minute shopping trip. I ask the nearest CM who is sweeping up where I can find a map of DTD. He has one in his pocket that he gives me. This place just amazes me! I locate the cab stand on it (yay! right outside in parking lot across from Ghiarderelli Chocolate) and we make our way to the Large Disney store for a present for DS14. We want to get pins for WL (strangely absent from the WL gift shop and pin cart all weekend) and aren’t returning to the bus stop which is near the large pin trading store. Once inside the store we find a CM and ask her where we can find the pins. I find them in the third room over. WOW...this store is huge! NO WL PINS! What the heck? Ok, that’s fine. I decide to not get pins. Maybe I can find them on Ebay....?:confused3

We tour the store once, twice, three times for a gift for DS. Nothing at all is leaping out at me. I don’t think he’ll care for the Tshirts. He isn’t a hat kid. I am flummoxed! Ah, maybe pj bottoms! No. No boy’s or men’s pj bottoms. We settle on some boxer shorts with Mickey on them. I buy my mom a Mickey shirt like the one I have. She has been at my house the whole time we’ve been in FL waiting on us to come back, remember? OK. Shopping in hand we make our way back across the store to the “princess section” to ask a CM where the ATM is. The “pin area CM” said it was over here but we can’t find it. She leads us to it and I scoop up some hard cash for the cab, tip and our trip home. N says that when we get to the WL he’s going to go to the Mercantile and get something snacky for the trip home. OK, that’s a good idea. Since, we never did have time to get the pretzel. :idea:

Skipping out to the curb we spot the cab drivers all speaking to each other and one approaches us. He is nice, says where are you going ma’am? I say, WL and we are in sort of a hurry! (It’s actually about 3:20 pm now and I’m slightly panicked that we still need to GET to the WL, get our bags from the Bell desk, and get on the bus (ME) by 4:15 pm) He’s funny! He says, “I will speed all the way there!” Ha! Turns out he is Haitian and we talk about Haiti (he doesn’t miss it, though he says it was beautiful where he lived), New York (he lived there before FL) and driving cabs. He says that he really likes working the Disney properties. He gets a bit turned around over whether we are going to the WL or FWC. I tell him twice, nicely, then YELP when he almost makes the wrong turn. He takes it in stride. He tells N that he has a nice, smart Momma. N agrees. And when we stop in front of the door at WL he says, “May God Bless you Madame.” I tip him very well but not because he blesses me. But, because I think driving a cab is thankless work most of the time. And he was so nice. N and I scoot over to the Bell Desk. We ask for our luggage and she says it will be about 15 minutes. I ask if we have time to potty, go to the store and then come back. She says, I think you’ve got plenty! So, off we go to find pins (maybe), potty, snacks, and take some last photos of the WL. I am so sad we’re leaving. Boohoo.

In my next installment we will have photos of our last run around the hotel. And the story of our flight home. So sad.

I can't believe they didn't have any WL pins:confused3

SOunds like you had a great day and are feeling better:thumbsup2

I'm so pleased you're feeling better and good idea to make DS spray you I bet he loved doing it :rotfl2:

DTD is always nice to go to, but not being rushed is better.

spray downs are nice too. :rotfl2:

sad it is almost over.

Wow....40 mins....that wuld have been insane.

Good Plan getting the cab:thumbsup2

That stinks they didn't have WL pins, but I am sure Ebay has them:thumbsup2

Sad, it is coming to an end, but it has been a great report:cool1:

Can't wait to read your xmas pre trippie:thumbsup2

Sounds lovely! Smart of you to do the cab - the wait from DTD to our resort was by FAR the worst bus wait we had. :thumbsup2

I can't believe they didn't have any WL pins:confused3

SOunds like you had a great day and are feeling better:thumbsup2

It was so nice to finally feel a little better! It was really weird that they didn't have any WL pins. We kept saying that too. When we stayed at the GF at Christmas they had TONS.:confused3

I'm so pleased you're feeling better and good idea to make DS spray you I bet he loved doing it :rotfl2:

He did! It was funny how many "strangers" asked him to spray them too! Thanks for keeping with us!:love:

DTD is always nice to go to, but not being rushed is better.

spray downs are nice too. :rotfl2:

sad it is almost over.

Thanks Scott! Me too. :sad1: DTD is awesome! I just wish that I had a TON more time. Oh well, there's always NEXT visit. ;)

That's great that you were feeling well enough to go shopping at DTD. The bus situation is insane.:sad2:
Yes it is! I have heard from the Dis that the bus is a problem when you go to DTD but that is ridiculous! Can't they do something about it? I don't know what they should do but there has to be a better way. Thanks for reading along, Lessa! :love:

Wow....40 mins....that wuld have been insane.

Good Plan getting the cab:thumbsup2

That stinks they didn't have WL pins, but I am sure Ebay has them:thumbsup2

Sad, it is coming to an end, but it has been a great report:cool1:

Can't wait to read your xmas pre trippie:thumbsup2

Yes, it is rapidly approaching the pre-trippie countdown. I better start that link soon. The WL pin situation baffled me the entire trip. It was so strange. I am so glad you've enjoy reading. I've enjoyed having you! :love:

Sounds lovely! Smart of you to do the cab - the wait from DTD to our resort was by FAR the worst bus wait we had. :thumbsup2

I have heard that it's way worse for the Pop resorts. Has anyone else heard this? Where did you stay, CE? All I know is that it was by far worth the 14 dollars plus tip to get back in 10 minutes!!!! You know, if you travel to other places (why would we do that? ha!) you will probably be in a cab at some point. We use them exclusively when we go to Vegas. I just never really thought about it at Disney....weird. :confused3
Thanks for reading along. I'm glad you were here! :love:

What a lot of running around you had to do on your last day. It is a good thing you were feeling better. I think I'm glad that we are not pin collectors right now. I would probably drive myself crazy having to get certain ones and spending all our money.

Looking forward to your last minute dash photos ....

I don't think I could have kept this a secret so long.

Your DH is wonderful in offering to fly over on last minute.

The CM was wonderful in getting DS on ToT and that family was wonderful!:wizard:

I have heard that it's way worse for the Pop resorts. Has anyone else heard this? Where did you stay, CE?

We were at AKL. DTD was the only place where AKL shared a bus with another resort. I couldn't even tell you today what the other resort was, but after waiting 45 minutes (and not being the people who'd been there the longest) when a bus finally showed up, there were WAY more people than could get on, and the driver was incredulous that we were all for AKL and whatever else it was. I don't think it was POP, though we shared with POP for ME - CSR, maybe? He radioed in the situation, but still... This was at the PI area, too, so the bus was already half full from the first of the DTD stops, back where you got off upon arrival. They need to work DTD buses a little better, IMHO. ;)

Yes it is! I have heard from the Dis that the bus is a problem when you go to DTD but that is ridiculous! Can't they do something about it? I don't know what they should do but there has to be a better way. Thanks for reading along, Lessa! :love:

I have heard that it's way worse for the Pop resorts. Has anyone else heard this? Where did you stay, CE? All I know is that it was by far worth the 14 dollars plus tip to get back in 10 minutes!!!! You know, if you travel to other places (why would we do that? ha!) you will probably be in a cab at some point. We use them exclusively when we go to Vegas. I just never really thought about it at Disney....weird. :confused3
Thanks for reading along. I'm glad you were here! :love:

We didn't have any problem with the buses to/from Pop/DTD. Maybe we just went at off times:confused3

Don't scare me people about busses from POP to anywhere I just booked today for January and it is at POP.

It w

[

Yes, it is rapidly approaching the pre-trippie countdown. I better start that link soon. The WL pin situation baffled me the entire trip. It was so strange. I am so glad you've enjoy reading. I've enjoyed having you! :love:

[SIZE="

Yep, you should get that pre trippie started for sure, since this is almost over:sad1:

Great update,Mel.It is hard to find an older kids a souvie in Disney.:scared: I had the same problem.Good thinking with the cab idea.:thumbsup2

What a lot of running around you had to do on your last day. It is a good thing you were feeling better. I think I'm glad that we are not pin collectors right now. I would probably drive myself crazy having to get certain ones and spending all our money.

Looking forward to your last minute dash photos ....

Our pin collecting has tapered off quite a bit from the first year we started. That would have been 2002. It was sort of nuts for a while. My mom was on that trip with us and her OCD got the best of her. She was buying pins left and right for the boys! Which just made them want to trade MORE. Crazy. Really Crazy. Now, we wear our pins for one day and if we see someone who has a good pin we'll approach. Mostly we made the "one day rule" for ME because when the kiddos got sick of wearing their pins they gave them to me to hold. Pack Mule! :mad:

I don't think I could have kept this a secret so long.

Your DH is wonderful in offering to fly over on last minute.

The CM was wonderful in getting DS on ToT and that family was wonderful!:wizard:

The DH was scared outta his pants! He is sweet, so I agree, but I think he was mostly fear motivated! The CMs were so wonderful I don't know how we would have made it without them. :love: And that is the only secret I've ever kept for more than a day. I am awful at secrets. :rolleyes1 Thanks for reading!!! :love:

We were at AKL. DTD was the only place where AKL shared a bus with another resort. I couldn't even tell you today what the other resort was, but after waiting 45 minutes (and not being the people who'd been there the longest) when a bus finally showed up, there were WAY more people than could get on, and the driver was incredulous that we were all for AKL and whatever else it was. I don't think it was POP, though we shared with POP for ME - CSR, maybe? He radioed in the situation, but still... This was at the PI area, too, so the bus was already half full from the first of the DTD stops, back where you got off upon arrival. They need to work DTD buses a little better, IMHO. ;)

We stayed at the AKL on the 2002 trip. In my recollection EVERY bus was an insanely long wait at that resort! We were seriously bummed every time we had to get on one. That is why we haven't been back to that resort. I don't mind waiting for a little bit but we waited for over an hour two or three times. And it was LOW season! :confused3 Though, having said all of that, N and I were shocked at how long it took to boat over to the MK or to the other resorts from the WL. Guess you can't win unless you're on the monorail. :love:

We didn't have any problem with the buses to/from Pop/DTD. Maybe we just went at off times:confused3

That isn't surprising. I've heard both stories. Thanks for reading! :love:

Don't scare me people about busses from POP to anywhere I just booked today for January and it is at POP.

Wishing good bus karma on you Scott! :wizard:

Yep, you should get that pre trippie started for sure, since this is almost over:sad1:

How far in advance can you start those PTRs? I don't want to jump the gun. I don't have any solid plans yet. Just dreams.....:sad2:

Great update,Mel.It is hard to find an older kids a souvie in Disney.:scared: I had the same problem.Good thinking with the cab idea.:thumbsup2

Thanks, Amy! I'm still reading your TR too! I think next time I have to get him something, I'll just spin around and point. ha! :love: Thanks for reading and for the compliment. I think the cab idea was smart too! :woohoo: I don't usually think on the fly like that. Go me!

OH! And there will be an update today. I'm staying in my pjs and doing NOTHING today. Well, except the update, that is. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter