We are that family.

No, in my 23 years of parenting and over thirty years as and early childhood educator I have never thought or called any child, especially my own, butt head. Choose words wisely people.

I'm sorry. I don't believe this for a second. I've only been teaching four years and I can tell you what, some kids are brats! Of course, I don't tell them that to their faces, and it doesn't change the way I teach them or treat them, but, come on, let's get real for a second. (as another PPS said). When I was five, I had the capability to be a major a**hole. Did that mean there were "bigger problems" at home? No. It meant I was five and sometimes, god forbid, things did not go my way. I am certain that my mom called me all kinds of names when she was venting. She even occasionally called me names to my face when I was really getting under her skin. Does that mean she was a bad mom? NO! She was human and I was a brat. To me, it sounds like this mom is doing everything she knows how to do.

It's difficult to parent away from home, especially on vacation, but she is disciplining her child even on vacation. As she says later, she is aware of some sibling rivalry issues going on, and it sounds like things go better. I'm not in her home, so I can't speak to her parenting style, but when I was growing up we told it like it was. If my brother was acting crazy, I told him so. We called each other out on our crazy and were taught how to do so without being rude. It helped us to learn that sometimes people (including ourselves) act out, and that other people notice. Where do you get off judging someone for saying her child is acting like a butt head? At least she is woman enough to own it, are you?

OP, I'm glad your vacation got better and worked out for you!!

And I'm not even going to lie, I've called my kids buttheads to their face - when they were being buttheads and they are not traumatized one bit by this!! Sorry but I think the reason we are ending up with so many special little snowflakes in this world is because parents are afraid to actually call their kids out on something. If you are misbehaving I'm going to let you know it and we are going to figure out a way to fix it together. I'm not just going to sugar coat it and keep going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter