• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We are off to eat and drink around the world :)....

Great pics! I love Legal Seafoods! I didn't realize they had them that far south. We always went to the one outside Newton Center (near Boston). sorry you didn't care for the play that much, but as long as you're well fed anything is tolerable! :rotfl2:

you know what is funny is I don't consider this to be south..... To me you don't get there until Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, West Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas:worship:

I always consider DC the dividing line - MD is north, VA is south. Anyway, sorry the play was not good. I love drama and lit, but I'm not a big fan of Russian lit or drama.

I always consider DC the dividing line - MD is north, VA is south. Anyway, sorry the play was not good. I love drama and lit, but I'm not a big fan of Russian lit or drama.

you now I read Crime and Punishment, translated from Russian, last year and it took forever so dry and long to develop. SO I should have known better but I could not pass on Cate Blanchett...

August 22, 2011

They day we left for on our 5th anniversary cruise.

It was a lazy morning and we were late getting up, this is the first trip that I did not have to be up at the crack of dawn to fly out....

Here we are waiting for our flight...
IMAG0224.jpg

We flew to Boston from BWI on a little up and down flight, we came in easy and got our luggage and headed to check in for ICELAND AIR....

We get checked in and find out that we got to hang out in the Virgin Atlantic lounge. They had everything in there, food drinks, internet and power... So all electronics were plugged in and charging, we had a few beers and some food.
IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

We boarded the plane, and were seated in first class... it was my first time ever and I was excited....

IMAG0230.jpg

We flew for 3.5 hours to Iceland, we watched avatar on these personally video players they had.

We got to eat and drink what ever we wanted. I love being spoiled and this trip was starting off perfectly...

Keflavík International Airport
The airport was built by the United States military during World War II. The U.S. Army Air Forces desired an airfield at Keflavík capable of operating heavy bombers, in addition to a fighter strip. Funds were allocated in January 1942 and construction began on the fighter strip (known as Patterson Field) in May. Two runways of the fighter field were in use by July when Operation Bolero commenced. The bomber field, known as Meeks Field, was begun in July by military and civilian contractor crews, but the civilian contractor was soon relieved by the newly formed U.S. Navy construction battalions Seabees. Meek Field was dedicated on 23 March 1943 and by May stopover service for transatlantic military flights was in operation.

120px-Icelandair-business-class-04.jpg

23511_1315285845.jpg

307389_2319664480390_1512880765_2650835_5503934_n.jpg

24032_361894691164_690766164_3732076_6993795_n.jpg

the lounge there in the airport was not as over the top as Boston, but it was very sleek and very nice... Lots of drinks and some breakfast food, it is bright and early in the morning now.... I slept a little bit...

now it is time for the second leg of the flight 3 hours to Amsterdam...

Now we arrive at Schiphol airport, I have been asleep the entire time, so I did not get to take advantage of any of the food and rinks...Sucks...

Schiphol is a very big airport. Schiphol is an important European airport, ranking as Europe’s 5th busiest and the world's 15th busiest by total passenger traffic. It also ranks as the world’s 6th busiest by international passenger traffic and the world’s 17th largest for cargo tonnage.

45.3 million passengers passed through the airport in 2010, a 4% increase compared with 2009.

Schiphol's main competitors in terms of passenger traffic and cargo throughput are London Heathrow Airport, Frankfurt Airport, Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport and Madrid-Barajas Airport.

In 2009, around 67% of passengers using the airport flew to and from Europe, 12% to and from North America and around 9% to and from Asia; cargo volume was mainly between Schiphol and Asia (45%) and North America (16%).

In 2009 direct passenger flights were operated to 265 destinations, with a further 19 freighter-only routes. The airport is one out of nine airports in the world to have a rating of 4 stars in Skytrax's grading system.

Schiphol has six runways, one of which is used mainly by general aviation aircraft. The northern end of the Polderbaan, the name of last runway to be constructed, is 7 km north of the control tower, causing lengthy taxi times (up to 20 min) to the terminal.

We depart the plane, headed to pick up our luggage and then we walked to the train station, we bought a ticket for Zuid station, (here they would not take out American credit cards, because they don't have chips in them) so it was a good thing we brought some Euro with us!!!

5029570-From_Schiphol_to_Central_Station_Amsterdam.jpg

It was so easy to get on the train and get to our stop, it was the first stop.

800px-Amsterdam_Zuid_station.jpg

from here we walked out of the train station and straight to a GVB station to buy our tram ticket, we got a 72 hour ticket unlimited travel.

We picked up tram 5 to Apollolaan and the hotel was just a few blocks from there.
11G_Amstelveen.jpg

Hiltonhotel.jpg

we were bumped / upgraded to the executive level at the Hilton so we got lounge benefits there too.

Here is our room....
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

We had this huge picture window over the canal, and the views were amazing...
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

We decided to walk around Amsterdam so we started walking back towards the tram and noticed that there was an art in the park exhibit.

This is a tree planter, it looks like the new Fiat that I have seen on TV...
DSC_0012.jpg

A huge bronze turtle
DSC_0013.jpg

This is the Noorder Amstelkanaal canal that runs right behind the hotel, and is the one in our view below.
DSC_0014.jpg

I just thought that this was cute
DSC_0015.jpg

We finally make our to the tram and ride up to Central Station.
The station building of Amsterdam Centraal was designed by Pierre Cuypers and A. L. van Gendt, and opened in 1889. It features a roof span of approximately 40 meters fabricated in cast iron by Andrew Handyside of Derby, England. The station is currently under reconstruction due to the construction of the North/South metro line

DSC_0018.jpg

Central Station, with warm red brick and prickly spires, is the first of several Neo-Gothic buildings, built during Amsterdam's economic revival. One of the towers has a clock dial, the other tower's dial is a weather-vane.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

As you stand here with your back to the station and look forward you will see all of the city spread out in front of you. On the left side is what is referred to as the Old Side (oude) and to the right is the New Side (nieuwe).

On the left is a big towering church called St. Nicholas Church, built in the 1880's when Catholics - after about three centuries of oppression were finally free to worship in public. The church marks the beginning of the red light district.

DSC_0027.jpg

450px-Amsterdam_St_Nikolaaskerk.jpg

Officially the church was called St. Nicholas inside the Walls, i.e. the oldest part of the Amsterdam defence works. The architect, Adrianus Bleijs (1842-1912) designed the church basing himself on a combination of several revival styles of which Neo-Baroque and neo-Renaissance are the most prominent models.

The facade is crowned by two towers with a rose window in between. The centre of this window is formed by a base relief depicting Christ and the four Evangelists, made in the Van den Bossche and Crevels workshop in 1886. A sculpture of the patron saint of both the church and the city of Amsterdam was placed in a niche in the upper section of the gable top. The well-known sculptor Bart van Hove (1850-1914) made the sculpture in 1886. The crossing is articulated by a large octagonal tower with a baroque dome and lantern and crowned by a cross.

The basis of the groundplan is the scheme of the classic three-aisled cross-basilica, i.e. a nave, two aisles and a single transept. The choir is located as is usual, at the end of the nave. In the corners formed by the transept and the nave, two chapels are located, traditionally devoted to Mary and Joseph.

The city's biggest bike garage, a multistory wonder, parking your bike in the garage is free, courtesy of the government; they want to encourage you to ride your bike.

DSC_0019.jpg

We are walking south from here down Damrak street towards the Dam Square.

DSC_0028.jpg

This street was once a riverbed, where the Amstel River flowed north into the IJ (pronounced "eye") River behind today's train station.

DSC_0029.jpg

this is the Stock Exchange (Beurs)
Built with nine million bricks on about 5000 tree trunks hammered into the marshy soil, the Beurs stands as a symbol of the city's longest tradition as a trading town. back when stock meant whatever could be loaded and unloaded onto a boat, Amsterdammers gathered to trade. Soon, rather than trading livestock and beer, they were exchanging slips of paper and futures at one of the world's first stock exchanges.
This impressive building, built in 1903 in a geometric, minimal, no frills style, is one of the world's first "modern" buildings, function over fashion.

Because it is the thing to do David and I stop to have some fries, Vlaamse frites, or flemish fries...
DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

So you are supposed to eat these things with mayo, so that is what we did, but their mayo is sweet, so not what I really wanted but we had them...

From here we went into Dam Square.

DSC_0034.jpg

The city got its start right here in about 1250, when fisherman in this marshy delta settled along the built-up banks of the Amstel River. They blocked the river with a damme and created a small village called Amstel-damme. With access to the sea fisherman were soon trading with German riverboats traveling downstream and with seafaring boats from Stockholm, Hamburg and London. Dam Square was at the center of it all.

Panning the square clockwise, first you come to the Royal Palace.
DSC_0036.jpg

The Royal Palace in Amsterdam (Dutch: Koninklijk Paleis Amsterdam or Paleis op de Dam) is one of three palaces in the Netherlands which is at the disposal of Queen Beatrix by Act of Parliament. The palace was built as city hall during the Dutch Golden Age in the seventeenth century. The building became the royal palace of king Louis Napoleon and later of the Dutch Royal House.

The current building built in 1650, is appropriately classical, with triangular pediment featuring denizens of the sea cavorting with Neptune.
DSC_0043.jpg

A few paces away, to the right, if you are facing the Royal Palace is the New Church (Nieuwe Kerk).
DSC_0038.jpg

The "New" Church is 600 years old (newer than the 700 year old "old" Church in the Red Light District. The sundial above the entrance once served as the city's official timepiece. From just inside the door, you can get a free look at the 1655 organ; the stained glass window showing Count William IV giving the city its "XXX" coat of arms; and the window (over the entrance) showing the inauguration of Queen Wilhelmina. This is the church where many of the monarchs are married and all are crowned.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Directly across the square you will find the National Monument, the obelisk, which depicts a crucified Christ, men in chains, and howling dogs, was built in 1956 as a WWII memorial. Now it's considered a monument for peace.

DSC_0047.jpg

Heading south again on Damrak street, we walked over to Kalverstraat. This is a walking road only, you are not even to ride your bike on this street.. There just about every kind of store here.

De Papegaai Hidden Catholic Church is here on this street.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

This Catholic Church, though not exactly hidden keeps a low profile, even now that Catholicism has been legalized in Amsterdam.
DSC_0050.jpg

interesting view down the street
DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

On the arch is Amsterdam's coat of arms, a red shield with three X's and a crown. The X shaped crosses symbolize heroism, determination and mercy; the represent the crucifixion of St. Andrew, the patron saint of fishermen. The crown dates to 1489, when Maximilian I paid off a big loan from city bankers and as thanks for the cash, gave the city permission to use his prestigious trademark, the Habsburg crown, stop its shield. The relief above the door dated 1581, shows boys around a dove, asking for charity, reminding all who pass that this was an orphanage.

DSC_0054.jpg

If you pass through the doors here you go into a court yard that will lead to the Civic Guard Gallery, it has closed for the day.

So we move on to the Begijnhof
DSC_0055.jpg

It is also closed for the day.

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

We will have to come back to these two gems tomorrow...

We go a few block and find Rokin Street and find the Queen Wilhelmina statue
DSC_0058.jpg

We wanted to visit a tobacco and pipe store here but again it was closed.
DSC_0059.jpg

At this point everything is closing up for the day and we decide to catch the tram back to the hotel and visit the executive lounge for some snacks and decide on the rest of the evening.

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

We also have not slept in over 24 hours so it might be an early night for us...

While we are in the lounge debating if we are going back out, a huge thunderstorms blows in and it is raining cats and dogs.... We decide to just hang out there in the lounge, have a couple of cocktails, and appetizers and call it a night.

OMG!!! My first name is Brandi Too. Looking forward to your report!!! Will you be posting anything of the Restaurant boards too?

OMG!!! My first name is Brandi Too. Looking forward to your report!!! Will you be posting anything of the Restaurant boards too?

Nice to meet you Brandi!!!!

As for the restaurant boards, I have never posted over there but it does not mean that I will not this time.

Nothing says delicious fries like a little boy whizzing.:rotfl:
And St. Nicholas is a patron saint of prostitutes. Legend has it, he knew of a father who was going to sell his daughters into prostitution. Nicholas sneaked into their house in the night, and put money (to rescue the girls) in the stockings the girls had hung to dry over the fireplace. That is why we get presents in our stockings at Christmas.

And St. Nicholas is a patron saint of prostitutes. Legend has it, he knew of a father who was going to sell his daughters into prostitution. Nicholas sneaked into their house in the night, and put money (to rescue the girls) in the stockings the girls had hung to dry over the fireplace. That is why we get presents in our stockings at Christmas.

well the name of the place was Manneken Pis ........ :rotfl:

say it slowly... Mann e ken Pis......

We are up and at em today, breakfast is being served in the lounge. The have some fresh cappuccinos for us and the most divine brown eggs that have been soft boiled. The yolks are orange and so creamy and rich, I could 6 of these things... They serve them to you in the little egg cups and just break the top off and scoop the egg out. Yummy.
IMAG0233.jpg

6815863-two-brown-eggs-in-pink-colorful-cups.jpg

As we are sitting here we find out about the earthquake that his hit DC, I was pretty surprised, so we get online and email back home and DS says everything is fine here, no cracks, nothing broken, everything is good..

As we are finishing up the heavens open up again and the rain pours down. We decide to have another cup of coffee and wait it out a bit.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

By now it is mid morning and things are clearing up, time for us to hit the town. As we are leaving the doorman offers us a umbrella, we take it thinking it will keep the rain away.

DSC_0004.jpg

check out this tiny car....
DSC_0005.jpg

This is the picture going thru the doors into the courtyard, from the orphanage.
DSC_0009.jpg

This is some art being displayed from the boys
DSC_0010.jpg

This is an outside water tap. I thought it was kind of cool looking...
DSC_0011.jpg

courtyard into the Civic Guard Gallery
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

This is the original relief that was displayed above the doors and it now resides in the gallery.
DSC_0017.jpg

We have a lot to see and do today, so we are not going into the gallery right now. This is an external display of uniforms.
DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

We decide now to walk over to the Begijnhof. This quite courtyard (buh-HHHINE-hof), lined with houses around a church, has sheltered women since 1346.

All of the house face inward to the courtyard.
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

one of the charitable sisters
DSC_0029.jpg

this is the city's oldest wooden house, built in 1477, originally the whole city consisted of wooden houses like this one.
DSC_0030.jpg

To the left of the house is a display of carved gable stones that once adorned housefronts and served as street numbers.
DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Just about now the rain is staring again...
This is the English Reformed Church, built 1420, the Pilgrims, fleeing persecution in England, stopped here in tolerant Amsterdam and prayed in this church before the Mayflower carried them to the religious freedom at Plymouth Rock. The church was closed while we were visiting, there is a stained glass window inside depicting the pilgrims praying, there is also a pew that they sat in along with a 1763 bible.
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

in this photo, the third house down from the black one, is the hidden catholic church.
DSC_0041.jpg

This one was open and allowed us inside.
DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

This is the outside of the tobacco and Pipe place...
http://uniekewinkeltjes.com/graphics/hajeniusoutside.jpg

the history of Hajenius begins in 1826, when the nineteen-year old Pantaleon Gerhard Coenraad Hajenius left the fortified town of Doesburg for Amsterdam. And Hajenius had a dream: to open a store that offered customers only the very best cigars. Young Hajenius was evidently a born businessman, since he established his new store in the Hotel Rijnstroom on the Vijgendam - and a location more suited to the achievement of his dream was virtually inconceivable.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

next, we are back to Kalverstraat, the pedestrian street, and we found the Mint Tower (Munttoren), this tower marked the limit of the medieval walled city, served as one of the original gates. The city walls were girdled by a moat - the Singel canal. Until 1500, the area beyond here was nothing but marshy fields and a few farms on reclaimed land.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Theses twin green domes are marking the exotic Tuschinski Theater, it is still a movie theater but it is true Art Deco....

Tuschinski_front.jpg

The ceiling changes color....

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

After the rain let up a little, we walked down the south bank of the Singel Canal, to the Flower Market (Bloemenmarkt)

This busy block of cut flowers, plants, bulbs, and garden supplies.
DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Half way down the market we ducked into a cheese shop called Henri Willig.
DSC_0083.jpg

I wanted to get some Gouda and stropwaffles and I found them both here, the cheese was amazing, we got a smoked version, and it was so good, melt in your mouth and smooth...
I got cow and goat each...
Smoked.jpg

Smoked_Goat_Cheese.JPG

DSC_0085.jpg

Back to the flowers
DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

See me in Mr Boot together with David......
DSC_0091.jpg

Very interesting with all the history and stuff thrown in! I guess you're either packing now or you just finished! :lmao:

Have a great F&W trip, enjoy your anniversary and throw us a bone or two while you're gone!

This is interesting, I thought he was the patron saint of lost things. "Dear St. Nicholas, please come around, something is lost and can't be found."

well the name of the place was Manneken Pis ........ :rotfl:

say it slowly... Mann e ken Pis......

I was thinking that Mannequin Piss was in Belgium, but perhaps it's a chain that expanded to the North? :confused3

We are up and at em today, breakfast is being served in the lounge. The have some fresh cappuccinos for us and the most divine brown eggs that have been soft boiled. The yolks are orange and so creamy and rich, I could 6 of these things... They serve them to you in the little egg cups and just break the top off and scoop the egg out. Yummy.

6815863-two-brown-eggs-in-pink-colorful-cups.jpg

I remember we did homestays on my trip in Germany (college band trip) and they served us these Fruhstuck Ei (Breakfast Egg). I loved them so much I learned how to make them at home and since I didn't have the egg cups, I served them in my Sake cups!

Perfect with a piece of toast or roll!

This is interesting, I thought he was the patron saint of lost things. "Dear St. Nicholas, please come around, something is lost and can't be found."
St. Anthony is the patron saint of lost things. Think of Dennis Leary's joke about deeply embedded Catholic training - when he loses his drugs, he still prays "Tony, Tony come around, something's lost and can't be found.

we are packed and ready to go...

WDW here we come!!!!
Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to hear all about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter