We are finally home from our WDW / 5-1 Eastern cruise

Jeff--I really honestly thought our kids would do better getting there on the first night but I now know (through a tough trial and error) that we should have done what you did and waited a few days before trying it when the clubs were settled down a little bit. Oh well live and learn I guess. ITA about Pinocchio's needing to improve their pizza. On our last trip on Carnival I have to say they had the best Pizza and they also for lunch and dinner had different stations open so if you didn't like what was at the buffet you could go to the stations and get Chinese, Pizza, Hamburges and Hot Dogs, a NY type deli with sandwiches and one other station that rotated it's menu. I agree they are expensive to go on and it will be awhile before we try again. Maybe when Tanner is 7 or 8 we'll try again on another line but for now we will stick with Disneyland where it is MUCH cheaper to get to for us, less time on an airplane and we can stay off property for a fraction of what we had to pay in WDW.

JenL--You know we were just SO not prepared for that mob scene the first day and our kids are not use to being in that situation since they've only been home with me or at a controlled preschool-Elementary school environment. I think it was too overwhelming. We tried the whole pick out something you want to do but it didn't help. One day we told the kids they had to go to the clubs so Ryan and I could get a "break" and some time alone and Tanner wigged out so bad. We decided to give him the choice of going to the club or doing what he hates the most and that was taking a nap...he actually chose taking a nap! I think we need to plan another trip on another line together...that would be a riot! We could make up for the time we were unable to spend with you guys this last trip and McKaylee would be old enough as would Miles to stay alone with Tanner if they didn't like the clubs on the other lines. I really want to try RCCL with their new ships and the rock climbing walls, mini golf and some have the ice rink.

I really wish we would have been able to spend more time with all of you guys and that we actually felt decent! I'm sure we were the most sorry bunch of people you've ever seen but that sore throat was probably the worst I've had since having strep! We'll definitely have to plan another get together either in Vegas or on another cruise!

Off to pickup Tanner from preschool!
Heidi

Mickeyhugger--If I had known that the ship was going to be so full of kids I would have done 1 of 2 things....#1 I would have tried to find a sailing that didn't have so many kids on it OR #2 would have at least prepared the kids beforehand that swimming wasn't an option and the clubs were going to be insane. I met a few other people on board who's kids didn't like the club either so it did make me feel a little better. I also agree with you about the feeling that the kids are just going to LOVE the clubs and they wouldnt want to leave. We didn't know much about it from our 4 day since grandparents were with us and they took them for us when we needed them too, but with our kids all in school or preschool we thought they would adjust to the clubs better (or at all) than they did. Actually we were ok with them not wanting to hit the clubs I guess the biggest problem of it was that if they weren't in the clubs or at the pool there wasn't much to keep them occupied during the day. It was so windy, the pools were so crowded and the things they had going on during the day wouldn't have appealed to our 5 year old at all. We thought maybe they'd have some "decent" movies in case the kids didn't want to go to the clubs but even that was a bust. During the day looking at the Navigators from our week some of the activities if the kids didn't want the clubs or to swim were:

Mickey Mania Game Show - Which my 5 year old would have lasted about 10 minutes in as he has no idea what they are even talking about for the most part. This was offered a few times during the week.

Bingo - which we have decided is a waste of time and money

A family dance party after the early seatings show which is fine for about 10-15 min and then our kids get bored (especially our boys)

They had tournaments that were like chipping golf balls or playing ping pong but they were generally for those 12 and older during the day. They also had some informative things like Disney Behind the Scenes which none of us would have cared about.

Disney's art of entertaining which taught "mixology" and fruit carving *yet another yawner for the kids*

Family team trivia - another thing the 5 year old wouldn't understand or care for

Basketball contest for those 14 and older

Another informative series called Magical Makeover 2003 *yawn*

Just nothing but the pool or the clubs during the day.

Oh well lesson learned!
Heidi

One of my students was on this cruise and she came home with a cough, etc. I think that it was the last blast of winter illnesses! Welcome home to all who sailed!

Hi Gang!

I too think the kids club was way too disorganized, especially for the younger kids(3-4). After the first night(we got paged after about 15 minutes), Katie(3) never wanted to go back.

Truly, that was fine with us bc, I didn't plan my vacation around not having kids with us. When we go on a vacation with the kids, I expect to spend time with the kids(especially my little barnacle, Katie). We were able to do a few adult things bc we did go with another couple and the dads took the girls to see Finding Nemo on the big screen( which we also have at home) and big girls were at the club and the moms went to the adult pool. Then the next sea day we traded and the Dads went to have a quiet beer together. And as parents, just an hour can seem like a lifetime of relaxation when you are alone. The wine tasting was kind of a bomb bc my husband wasn't able to go with me. He insisted that since wine is "my thing", I should go. My friend Patty and I found ourselves constantly thinking about the big girls in the club. The curse of parenthood. Even when you catch a free minute, you think about them....Turns out the big girls(5-7) were having lunch with Collin, our waiter at night in Animators Palette.

We are also early to bed folk, so even though the kids were tired, we thought we'd use the verandah but pretty much once we got the kids in bed, we were out too. That sea air takes it all out of you.

We are looking at the RCCL Mariner or the Star Princess for next May for the same reasons. My girls loved cruising as much as we do, but the $$ and kids were alot. If we are going to cruise every year, and have a life outside of that, we need to find a more economical alternative. Keep you posted.

Hydster, I'm getting a little nervous about my upcoming Eastern cruise. We had such a great time last October (Western) that our expectations are very high for this cruise. I hope we are not disappointed.:wave:

Hydster, I'm getting a little nervous about my upcoming Eastern cruise. We had such a great time last October (Western) that our expectations are very high for this cruise. I hope we are not disappointed.:wave:

Marietta--We too had such a great time on our 4 day wonder...but this time was a little different!

Anyway if anyone is interested here are some pics of our trip

Click here http://community.webshots.com/user/hydster to see our pictures. Still waiting for regular film to come back these are just the digitals (and I didn't upload many that included me!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter