WDW with no Smart Phone

Why should I look up and enjoy the scenery-I can see pictures on my phone.
I don't understand those who aren't watching a particular night time show because they're, for some reason, compelled to record it and are watching it on their smartphone instead. Maybe it's just me, but it's better watching the real thing. I guess they're unaware that there are better versions of every WDW show on YouTube.

Having a smartphone =/= constantly looking at your device. I only really looked at mine for FP related stuff and otherwise put it away. (because otherwise the battery wouldn't last the morning!)

I never get that argument. I like being able to book a 4th FP though- managed to grab one for Space Mountain on a very crowded afternoon last time!

WOW. It never ceases to amaze me how far into our lives technology has crippled us. How can I possibly have a good time if I'm not constantly looking at my phone? How will I ever know what I am supposed to do next without my phone? Why should I look up and enjoy the scenery-I can see pictures on my phone. Oops, sorry I walked into you, I was texting, reading messages, looking for my next fast pass. I am probably one of the few remaing persons on this planet that does not own a cell phone or any form of electronic communications device. Guess what, my wife and I travel down to WDW every year and have the time of our lives. We are constantly amazed at how many people have their faces in their phone and are not experiancing what is around them. How many time do I hear, "will you put that down and look at this". I have now purposely allowed people to walk into me. It gives me a chance to say, if you had your face out of that thing you'd have seen where you were going. Here is a suggestion. Take one day. No plans other than where you will be dining as it is nearly impossible to get a seat at a good restaurant without ressies and just enjoy the day. Take the time to look around and really experiance the parks. Again, take your time, enjoy.

It really doesn't have to be either/ or.

I took plenty of time to look around and enjoy everything. I actually had more time to do it with the help of my phone, which saved me tons of time.

No smart phone :eek:...how are you going to stay up to date on Hockey news ?! :confused3

Honestly though we basically only use the phone to text each other when we split up or to kill time in line. I think if you're managing without one in everyday life not having one in WDW isn't going to be a big deal.

Last edited:
Having a smartphone =/= constantly looking at your device. I only really looked at mine for FP related stuff and otherwise put it away. (because otherwise the battery wouldn't last the morning!)

I never get that argument. I like being able to book a 4th FP though- managed to grab one for Space Mountain on a very crowded afternoon last time!

I completely agree! On my last trip to WDW, on my MK day I went through 11 fast passes, because I was able to keep booking them on my phone. I can't imagine that would have been the case if I had to go to the kiosk. However, with the exception of booking those fastpasses, or checking the time to meet people, I was rarely on my phone.

It really doesn't have to be either/ or.

I took plenty of time to look around and enjoy everything. I actually had more time to do it with the help of my phone, which saved me tons of time.

I love all the strawmen being constructed in this thread. If someone doesn't want to use a phone, fine that's their business. But they shouldn't make a big deal about people who want to either. Using a smartphone helps to keep me organized and informed. Plus being a photographer/videographer by trade, I find it hilarious that someone is not "in the moment" while capturing photos. They're literally trying to save the moment for posterity!

I'd like to second the comment about possibly getting an iPod Touch. It's essentially a little computer (no phone capabilities) and you can get one for about $200. No contract required, because it cannot access a cellular network. It only works on wifi. You will also be able to get your email, look up whatever you want (like the weather), and access My Disney Experience. You'll just have to carry around both devices.

WOW. It never ceases to amaze me how far into our lives technology has crippled us. How can I possibly have a good time if I'm not constantly looking at my phone? How will I ever know what I am supposed to do next without my phone? Why should I look up and enjoy the scenery-I can see pictures on my phone. Oops, sorry I walked into you, I was texting, reading messages, looking for my next fast pass. I am probably one of the few remaing persons on this planet that does not own a cell phone or any form of electronic communications device. Guess what, my wife and I travel down to WDW every year and have the time of our lives. We are constantly amazed at how many people have their faces in their phone and are not experiancing what is around them. How many time do I hear, "will you put that down and look at this". I have now purposely allowed people to walk into me. It gives me a chance to say, if you had your face out of that thing you'd have seen where you were going. Here is a suggestion. Take one day. No plans other than where you will be dining as it is nearly impossible to get a seat at a good restaurant without ressies and just enjoy the day. Take the time to look around and really experiance the parks. Again, take your time, enjoy.

Uh, okay...
I used a smartphone during our Disney trip last September. I did not do anything non-Disney on the smartphone, except text my mom a couple times just to let her know how we were doing. I used it to get lots of 4th+ fastpasses which was awesome. Checked wait times without having to walk over to the ride. I was also able to change the time or ride of many fastpasses as I could see we were not going to make it, or we changed out minds. It was great.
Of course, if you don't have/want one, that will work fine, too, it will just be somewhat less convenient.

No smart phone :eek:...how are going to stay up to date on Hockey news ?! :confused3

Honestly though we basically only use the phone to text each other when we split up or to kill time in line. I think if you're managing without one in everyday life not having one in WDW isn't going to be a big deal.

I agree. I use my phone, but not for FP or anything else Disney related while in Disney.

OP- you will need to use a kiosk if you want additional FP, and you will need to have your info in print, unless you have a good memory. I don't so I used to just have a printout of my FP and ADR's. I still do this, I like paper. Other than that, you will be fine.

You forgot to add "...AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

Seriously though, I agree some people can get obsessed with the smart phones. While at WDW I use my phone to book extra FPs, take a few pics, check wait times, and keep up with the weather if I happen to be there on a stormy day. Maybe it's because I too am an old guy, but I'm never tempted to have my phone out all day and gaze into it while I'm walking around. My teenage kids do that some though, but I know they are connected to people thru Snapchat and Instagram at a whole different level than am I. It's at times like that when I remember that in terms of technology, values, and communication they are the natives in this strange world we live in, and I just have a workers visa.

OP here,

DH and I discussed all the responses on this thread. We are going over Easter Week, so the prospect of getting 4th+ FP may be limited, but I want that option. He checked and we do have upgrades available on our Verizon cell phone plan. He has a old Blackberry, and I have an old slide phone (I only use it to text my kids and call my family). Both are so old that some apps and functions are no longer supported. For instance, I can't receive group chat messages or send/receive pictures anymore. It is time to get new phones! We are going to upgrade in the next couple of weeks, so we'll have them in time for our trip.

Thanks everyone!

OP here,

DH and I discussed all the responses on this thread. We are going over Easter Week, so the prospect of getting 4th+ FP may be limited, but I want that option. He checked and we do have upgrades available on our Verizon cell phone plan. He has a old Blackberry, and I have an old slide phone (I only use it to text my kids and call my family). Both are so old that some apps and functions are no longer supported. For instance, I can't receive group chat messages or send/receive pictures anymore. It is time to get new phones! We are going to upgrade in the next couple of weeks, so we'll have them in time for our trip.

Thanks everyone!
Good luck...and may the Force be with you!

Are you a member of AAA by any chance? they do lost cost rentals of phones for traveling

Also ask around to friends and family, someone might have an old smart phone they have tucked in a drawer they no longer use. You don't need to activate it and the free wifi will be enough to make the app work.

As posted not needed but could be an advantage if your comfortable with borrowing or renting one.

It is definitely possible to still have a great trip without a smartphone. I only upgraded mine 1 1/2 years ago. I made my FP's in advance & went to a kiosk to make more or change if I needed to at the park. I still had a Great time & found that without the smartphone, I was able to enjoy the atmosphere more. But since I've upgraded, it has been helpful to check wait times & look at menus, etc.

Have a great trip! :)

I carried my smart phone but only used it for photos. You see, it is a struggle for me to see the print on my screen unless I find a downright shady spot, find my glasses, and the make everything on the screen larger. What a pain and it is too time consuming for this chronologically gifted lady!

So at the start of my day I write my FP+ times (left hand) and my ADR time (right hand) on my hands in large print. This way I can quickly see what is next. I wear a very large faced watch to keep track of time and away I go. I have a plan in my head before I leave home and I know my way around the parks.

If I need another FP I simple go to one of the Kiosks and ask for help.

Easy peasy!

No smart phone :eek:...how are going to stay up to date on Hockey news ?! :confused3

This...100% This. I text those in my party if we are split up and watch Hockey (Lets Go Pens!) or Football or catch up on the scores depending on what im doing at the time. Other than that I dont use my phone at all in WDW.

MDE is far superior to the DL app which is the only app I've tried in the parks so far so maybe this isn't the case but when I tried to rely more heavily on the app in October I just ended up frustrated. It had incorrect information A LOT and it was so buggy I wanted to throw my phone in the Rivers of America. I needed to use kiosks because my son had a DAS and that would have been much easier handled on a phone but only if it works reliably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter