• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, not to be a total debby downer, but why is this Disney's problem? If rider wants to experience attraction A and is in need of special accommodations, then they are provided with alternate wait area, etc. Disney does not to do accommodate all the members of Riders' party with special accommodations.

I travel to Wdw with my friend who has a child with Downs. The accommodations that Disney provides are for that child, no one else. If he wants to ride Splash with the DAS and the other kids want BTMRR, then they wait in line or get a FP. How is this now easy to understand?

My point was when traveling with more than one person who needs special accommodations and both of these people do not wish to ride the same attraction. Nothing to do with others in the party that don't need special accommodation, other than some of them should be able to join the ones that do on the ride.

My point was when traveling with more than one person who needs special accommodations and both of these people do not wish to ride the same attraction. Nothing to do with others in the party that don't need special accommodation, other than some of them should be able to join the ones that do on the ride.

Absolutely! When my DD was younger, she thought the GAC was for the family and assume she and her Dad could ride Splash. She got a rude awakening when I refused to allow it and took her to the FP machines. Once she was older she realized what that card meant and who it was for.

She also refuses to ride HM, that doesn't stop DS and DH or I from riding it, we just take shifts.

As I read more and more about different folks' experience, I realize that some people used the GAC system as if they were on a MAW trip. They asked for and generally received special treatment everywhere. I blame the CMs who just did the easy thing, rather than cause any problems. We were told the GAC was not good for shows or character interactions. We always asked to sit at the back near an exit so we could get out if DS couldn't handle something, but we didn't expect special access.

I do have a lot of fear about our upcoming trip. I get it, I know why it was done and I think eventually the system will work fine for us. If they would only figure out a way that I don't have to take DS TO the actual ride in advance, it will be perfect. Poor DH will have to do a lot of extra mileage on the trip, and I worry it will exhaust him!!

If we could use the DAS on conjunction with the app to schedule the ride, I would pay for that! It would use wait times on the app, use the QR code to scan and identify the pass, then schedule our return times on our bands. Now that would be good use of technology!!!

Anyone had any other recent experiences with being issued a DAS for mobility issues not solved by a mobility aid?

I've seen it recommended that you be very explicit about what will happen in line and how that would be detrimental to WDW. But their basic response for mobility is a wheelchair, ECV or other aid -- possibly creative use of it and not simply sitting all day. So you will need to be very specific as to how use of a mobility aid will not be acceptable for your specific needs, as well as how your specific needs will impact WDW if you wait in line.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

I'm not sure if I missed this or it just hasn't been discussed, but how is a DAS or even FP+ being handled at attractions like IASW and SE with non-mainstreamed accessible entrances when you have a member of your party in a wheelchair?

I've seen it recommended that you be very explicit about what will happen in line and how that would be detrimental to WDW. But their basic response for mobility is a wheelchair, ECV or other aid -- possibly creative use of it and not simply sitting all day. So you will need to be very specific as to how use of a mobility aid will not be acceptable for your specific needs, as well as how your specific needs will impact WDW if you wait in line.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Thanks...I think I know how to word things, I'm just wondering whether people have actually had any success or not. I would word it: I can't sit or stand too still for too long or my muscles stiffen. I need to keep mobile by strolling etc. More then 30 mins or so in a slow-moving line and my legs will probably be out of action for days and I will be in no fit physical state to ride by the time I get to the front of the line. Waiting outside of the line would be very helpful as I can keep as mobile as I need to. Otherwise I will physically not be able to ride attractions that have long lines.

I don't know if that will be enough for Disney though. :s I plan on taking a wheelchair for moments when I cannot avoid problems. But sitting dosent really help, just makes it worse. =(

Thanks...I think I know how to word things, I'm just wondering whether people have actually had any success or not. I would word it: I can't sit or stand too still for too long or my muscles stiffen. I need to keep mobile by strolling etc. More then 30 mins or so in a slow-moving line and my legs will probably be out of action for days and I will be in no fit physical state to ride by the time I get to the front of the line. Waiting outside of the line would be very helpful as I can keep as mobile as I need to. Otherwise I will physically not be able to ride attractions that have long lines.

I don't know if that will be enough for Disney though. :s I plan on taking a wheelchair for moments when I cannot avoid problems. But sitting dosent really help, just makes it worse. =(

I'll be interested to hear, since they could just tell you that Fastpass+ will solve your issues. Good luck!

I do have a lot of fear about our upcoming trip. I get it, I know why it was done and I think eventually the system will work fine for us. If they would only figure out a way that I don't have to take DS TO the actual ride in advance, it will be perfect. Poor DH will have to do a lot of extra mileage on the trip, and I worry it will exhaust him!!

The person that the DAS is for does not have to be there to get the return time, just to ride the ride.

Sorry I did look on first page but can't find what a QR code is? Can anyone help? Sue? Tia!
A QR code is a 2 dimensional barcode that can give more information than a regular barcode. They are usually square and have a bunch of shapes that look sort of random, but can be read with the correct reader
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code
DAS cards have a QR code on them that is apparently not being used right now.
We were told it would be able to be used soon to allow Guest Relations to access the DAS holder's information and print out a replacement card more quickly.

But, there are other things that a barcode can be used for, which would include assigning times and allowing access.
interesting. Maybe they will tie it to the MagicBand.
I think this is the goal. Does Universal do something like this? I think that was referenced.
I'm not sure how true this is or how soon, but I had heard this would be the eventual goal, at least at WDW, where they already have readers at many attractions.
So am I reading correctly? Are people seriously filling in their own cards with times? Omg whatever next! I am truly shocked. The only way then to avoid this I can see is that they hold the DAS card at the ride till you return or some kind of electronic system. Or a receipt like ticket issue like the old FP that they give you and you show on return. Or people could just be honest...wishful thinking right :-)

As they always say people will always try sad but true. But the majority don't. It didn't even cross my mind.
Yes.
I have read on Facebook and blogs that people are writing in their own times, altering the times or at DL, going to a different ride than they have a return time for.
Well according to Sue's post, the only time everyone needs to be present is when a lead makes an 'exception' to rule of more than 6 on the DAS. In order to get a number on your DAS greater than 6, ALL parties must be present. If your party is 6 or less then you all need not be there together to get your DAS issued.

But it seems like more of the "discussion" is about people having two DAS cards with 'active' times simultaneously and people thinking that is not 'acceptable/fair'. If it's not in the DAS rules *you* sign then IMO it is a matter of opinion as to whether it is acceptable/fair. It isn't breaking any "rules" Disney has set forth otherwise I think they would have addressed it in the "contract thingy" they have *you* sign stating *you* understand and agree to the terms of usage, right?? :)
The party of more than 6 is what it was when we were at WDW and what I had seen in writing (returned home 11/9/13)
But, things are subject to change, so they may have changed it. Especially if they have been gathering information and found the average party size was only 4.

The issue I have been writing about of groups with 2 DAS cards was in reference to people who are writing on Facebook or blogs that they were lying to get a second DAS card with the purpose of having 2 return times.

That is much different than a group that has 2 people with disabilities who each have their own DAS card.
As of yesterday when a friend when to get one at WDW, your entire party must be present if you have more than 4 people in the party.

DLR has been requiring everyone to be present, no matter the party size for about a week now.
Thanks for that.
I will add it to the FAQs
I'm not sure if I missed this or it just hasn't been discussed, but how is a DAS or even FP+ being handled at attractions like IASW and SE with non-mainstreamed accessible entrances when you have a member of your party in a wheelchair?
It was not busy when we were at both those attractions.
We had FP + for Spaceship Earth, but we could see the FP + went next to the regular entrance! which is nor accessible. So, we just went to the exit, which has always been the only accessible entrance. We did. It show DD's DAS card. As before, they had a clipboard for writing down the groups as they came.

We rode Small World twice with a wheelchair on this trip and had minimal waits each time (15-20 minutes posted Standby waits). We entered the wheelchair area and saw ONLY groups using mobility devices in that line.
I don't know if that was coincidence or not; previously, even with short posted waits, the wait in that line was often way longer than the wait in the regular line and half or more of the groups didn't have a mobility device.

The person that the DAS is for does not have to be there to get the return time, just to ride the ride.
Correct.
The person the DAS is for only needs to be there to go on the attraction, not to get a return time.

So my question is......
There was nothing 'wrong' with doing this with a GAC. It was totally permittable!!
Is there some sort of rule that *you* are breaking in the agreement that *you* sign when you receive the new DAS that says one DAS holder cannot enter an attraction on another DAS holder's card? While they are waiting for a return time themselves?

There isn't, but there certainly should be.

This is way too complicated and overboard and disney simply does not have this type of IT service available. And it makes no sense as in many families the adults are constantly switching around to who rides what with whom. So it would be useless for me to be linked to one ride when it may end up being my DH who rides it depending on my YDD's mood/attitude.

The easiest way to cut down on certain abuses is for them to stamp the rides or use special pens to write them in. That would cut that abuse off right away.

IT-wise, it isn't complicated at all.

If Disney wants to keep the system they've laid out, i.e, everyone waits their turn to ride, and DAS doesn't mean privileged access, they're going to have to come up with a way to prevent families with multiple DASs from having return times on each one for everyone in the party. Otherwise, they're opening it up for abuse, and within a couple of years, DAS will be as big a mess as GAC was.

As I read more and more about different folks' experience, I realize that some people used the GAC system as if they were on a MAW trip. They asked for and generally received special treatment everywhere. I blame the CMs who just did the easy thing, rather than cause any problems.

So true. The same thing will happen with any system until management empowers the CM's to stand up to people making unreasonable demands, and until the company decides to pay for adequate staffing levels.

Had terrible day yesterday! Checked into CBR and given a preferred room in Martinique which had terrible odor of mildew/mold. Called front desk immediately and maid came with room spray and told me "no worry you get used to it". Really she told me that! Anyway wasted afternoon trying to get situation resolved and also although I had called ahead for a fridge for medications no fridge was available and by 10:45 last night we were finally moved over to the POFQ. This am tried to change fast pass+ times and system was not working. Went to guest services at EPCOT to ask for help explained my nephews difficulties, I had written a description of what I felt were his specific needs but when the CM came over and began to read what I had written (which defeated my purpose in writing in the first place) he became very agitated. Another CM came right over to us and greeted him and explained to him how she wanted to help him enjoy his day. She explained how she would take his photo with her iPad and give us a special card to help us. She told me if we needed assistance in addition to the DAS procedure to come back and they would help us further. As it turned out the 2 rides he wanted to go on had no significant wait times and for Space Ship Earth they allowed us to use alternative entrance to avoid moving walkway. Tonite we went to guest services to inquire about upgrading to APs and my nephew had some difficulty waiting in line there. When it was our turn the CM asked if I knew about the DAS. I showed her his card and explained we did not need to use it today but would probably use it only for MK. Anyway she called over another CM and they spoke to my nephew and then scanned our magic bands and allowed us fast pass choices for the entire day at MK for Monday. So after all the unpleasant things that happened to us yesterday (went to dinner @Ohanas last night and were served drinks and appetizers then after 30 min the server came over to tell us he was bringing dessert! We had not been served any of main course. Then when we went to get monorail back to MK it was broken down)
Today pixie dust :)

Glad your day was much better than yesterday!! Here's to the rest of your trip being just as good as today!!:cheer2:

Just because something might be abused, does not mean it can be limited or removed if it is an accommodation for equal access. It would be very easy to mark the DAS that the group has multiple, mark how many people are covered by the return time and just only allow the total number in the group to be active between the 2 (or more) DAS at one time. Yes if the DAS are both not there when the return time is requested it would be an issue, but it would certainly greatly cut down on any abuse. Ideally for these situation they would have an electronic version of DAS and or an APP which would solve the problem completely and make of unnecessary to even take up the time of the CMs when getting the time.

Just because something might be abused, does not mean it can be limited or removed if it is an accommodation for equal access. It would be very easy to mark the DAS that the group has multiple, mark how many people are covered by the return time and just only allow the total number in the group to be active between the 2 (or more) DAS at one time. Yes if the DAS are both not there when the return time is requested it would be an issue, but it would certainly greatly cut down on any abuse. Ideally for these situation they would have an electronic version of DAS and or an APP which would solve the problem completely and make of unnecessary to even take up the time of the CMs when getting the time.

That's basically what I'm saying - if they link the DASs together electronically, it's easy after that to ensure that the same people aren't waiting for multiple rides at the same time.

There are absolutely cases, probably many, where there is a legitimate need for multiple DAS cards in the same group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter