WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. My grandson's largest re-ride records may have to stay. (It was getting harder for him to "beat" them anyway. (example: Expedition Everest 11 times; Goofy's roller coaster 14 times).

It will be nice to go to a park and be able to do more than 3 or 4 attractions.:yay:

Gosh, I was never able to do this as a TAB. Preferential access?

Gosh, I was never able to do this as a TAB. Preferential access?

No--staying at the park LATE on EMH nights when they were after park closings for the MK--no line at Goofy's. For EE -single rider line (again near closing time) afte the first use of GAC.

As a rule of thumb we try not to be at the big rides during the day.

Is the DAS issued for length of stay for resort guests, or do we need to get a new one each day?
Thanks.

I know that Disney had big time problems with fraud and who had a disability and who didn't, as a company that make billions a year why can't they crate a website that only doctors have access to and fill out a short questionnaire and official diagnosis, and also the doctor can include the disney travel confirmation number and link it all together. When you arrive at the resort you still have to get a card with the photo on it and when you get to the rides the card has to be scanned to verify that the card is still valid.

Sounds nice in theory but honestly as a nurse practitioner working in a busy practice (I regularly work 14-16 hrs per day plus rotate on call) that wouldn't be a priority. Getting that done would get shuffled to the bottom of the stack probably more than once over more pressing matters. Then what would you do when it was trip time if it wasn't done?

I have just started planning our July trip . My mom has issues with her knees has had surgery but has trouble walking or standing for say more than 15-20 minutes at a time. She has an ECV. At WDW we had always gotten a GAC so she could either ride her scooter through the line or so that she could use a different entrance without having to get off the scooter. From what I am hearing now, she would be denied a DAC based on her issues being mobility. This is a very long thread and I have scanned it. From what I am understanding, she no longer needs anything to ride her ECV through the lines or use an alternate entrance (such as at TSM, Dinosaur, to be able to ride the scooter down to the lower level towards Soarin' etc). She has trouble with stairs though she has tried them in the past (Always to regret it). So we do not need to get the card. I can rest assured that her needs will be taken care of by the attraction CM because she will be on a scooter...right...?

I have just started planning our July trip . My mom has issues with her knees has had surgery but has trouble walking or standing for say more than 15-20 minutes at a time. She has an ECV. At WDW we had always gotten a GAC so she could either ride her scooter through the line or so that she could use a different entrance without having to get off the scooter. From what I am hearing now, she would be denied a DAC based on her issues being mobility. This is a very long thread and I have scanned it. From what I am understanding, she no longer needs anything to ride her ECV through the lines or use an alternate entrance (such as at TSM, Dinosaur, to be able to ride the scooter down to the lower level towards Soarin' etc). She has trouble with stairs though she has tried them in the past (Always to regret it). So we do not need to get the card. I can rest assured that her needs will be taken care of by the attraction CM because she will be on a scooter...right...?

That is my understanding of the policy, too. Mobility issues are handled *at* the attraction and no card of any kind is needed. Unless she has other needs that are not met by the ECV and could be met by the DAS, she does not need a DAS.

She will not need a DAS card. Most attractions are accessible thru the regular line. For those that are not, the CM can see the ECV and will route you thru the correct place. Thère are some attractions that are wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. Those attractions have wheelchairs that can be borrowed for use in lines/attraction. Just go to the CM at the entrance and if they tell you to park the ECV, let them know she can't walk in line and will need to borrow a wheelchair.

Even with the prior GAC program,a GAC was not needed to use any mobility device (ECV, wheelchair, walker) in lines or attractions.
It was only needed if there were other needs that the mobility device did not meet. It was also used by guests using a stroller as a wheelchair.
So, for guests using mobility devices, DAS is going back to what the GAC was meant to be.

If you haven't read it, the first post in this thread is FAQs about the DAS, so no need to scan the whole thread.

We are arriving Friday afternoon, but weren't planning on going to parks until Saturday morning. Can I go to Guest Services outside of MK and get my son's DAS card so we don't have to wait in a line on Sat? Wasn't sure if this was possible or not.
In October, when the program was new, people were getting DAS cards at the outside of the park Guest Relations.
Over the holidays, people were posting they were told at the outside the park Guest Relations that they were no longer issuing them and would need to go inside.
It could have been just because they were busy outside with guests who had ticket problems , so were limiting the outside GR to guests who couldn't go inside.
Just, putting that out there.
I know that Disney had big time problems with fraud and who had a disability and who didn't, as a company that make billions a year why can't they crate a website that only doctors have access to and fill out a short questionnaire and official diagnosis, and also the doctor can include the disney travel confirmation number and link it all together. When you arrive at the resort you still have to get a card with the photo on it and when you get to the rides the card has to be scanned to verify that the card is still valid.
The reasons why not have already been covered:

1) fraud was one issue, but not the biggest issue. The number of people with disabilities using the card who were being 'inserted' directly into Fastpass lines was much bigger.

2) requiring a doctor's note to get accommodations would be against the law.

3) requiring a doctor's note would do little to prevent fraud. Many people who don't need a handicapped parking permit get their doctors to sign off on the paperwork. People have posted about doctors in the past who wrote letters asking for a com od actions, knowing the family had no one with disabilities "anyone with several children under the age of 5 is disabled".
There would be no ways verify we nether or not it was a real doctor or if a doctor actually wrote the note.

4) even if they set up a huge and costly mechanism to handle it, there would be people who still need accommodation and did not know or could not get all the things you mentioned done. Plus, doctors offices could charge for writing the letter (their time is not free, after all). All those things would make requiring a letter discriminatory.

Because this has been discussed multiple times before with the same outcome, no further discussion about this will be allowed on this thread.

I hate to even ask this, but I've pored over nearly every page of this thread and haven't seen a situation similar to mine enough to reassure me just yet. I need some advice and insight on getting a DAS as an adult.

I have an often-fatal disease that can cause chemical imbalances and rapid-onset illness, for lack of a better way to put it. Things that can cause problems are stress, medications or lack thereof, being too hot or cold, and a bunch of other things that can fluctuate day to day. When I go into "overload" so to speak I become easily confused and disoriented. It's possible to not know who or where I am or the people around me, or become violent without understanding what I am doing. Worst-case scenario could lead to coma or death, but if I were to become that unwell obviously being at WDW is not going to be a high priority for me and I'm going to be in a hospital, not in a park.

Now, my partner and I are Disney pros :cool2: and while I can normally manage with a combination of an ECV, going in more reasonable weather, cutting days short, going in the offseason, the park plan we customize before each trip, and FP in all its variations, there have been a rare couple of occasions where having a DAS would have been a welcome aid to us.

But I have seen several people claim that adults can't get a DAS or it is extremely hard for them to do so, which doesn't make sense to me based on, well, common sense, as well as the law. Because of this I have been darn near terrified of even asking for one, and am not sure how to present my case to Guest Services.

Would the paragraph above where I described my issues be helpful in asking for a DAS, am I off-base, or is this a total waste of my time? :scared:

ETA: I'm aware that one has to explain their needs to GS and effectively so. I'm essentially wondering if this is worth my time in asking, and if I have articulated my issues effectively or if I should go into more/less detail.

I hate to even ask this, but I've pored over nearly every page of this thread and haven't seen a situation similar to mine enough to reassure me just yet. I need some advice and insight on getting a DAS as an adult. I have an often-fatal disease that can cause chemical imbalances and rapid-onset illness, for lack of a better way to put it. Things that can cause problems are stress, medications or lack thereof, being too hot or cold, and a bunch of other things that can fluctuate day to day. When I go into "overload" so to speak I become easily confused and disoriented. It's possible to not know who or where I am or the people around me, or become violent without understanding what I am doing. Worst-case scenario could lead to coma or death, but if I were to become that unwell obviously being at WDW is not going to be a high priority for me and I'm going to be in a hospital, not in a park. Now, my partner and I are Disney pros :cool2: and while I can normally manage with a combination of an ECV, going in more reasonable weather, cutting days short, going in the offseason, the park plan we customize before each trip, and FP in all its variations, there have been a rare couple of occasions where having a DAS would have been a welcome aid to us. But I have seen several people claim that adults can't get a DAS or it is extremely hard for them to do so, which doesn't make sense to me based on, well, common sense, as well as the law. Because of this I have been darn near terrified of even asking for one, and am not sure how to present my case to Guest Services. Would the paragraph above where I described my issues be helpful in asking for a DAS, am I off-base, or is this a total waste of my time? :scared:

You need to explain your needs to GS. Specifically, why you don't do well in lines and would it would be beneficial to wait outside of one.

Being an adult has nothing to do with getting or not getting a DAS.

... But I have seen several people claim that adults can't get a DAS or it is extremely hard for them to do so, which doesn't make sense to me based on, well, common sense, as well as the law. Because of this I have been darn near terrified of even asking for one, and am not sure how to present my case to Guest Services. ...

DAS is given to adults, there is no age-restriction.

Since it sounds like you are very familiar with the parks, and the lines...I suggest that you give a specific example of WHAT it is about the lines/waits that would bring on the symptoms you've described. And how that would negatively impact other guests near you in line. That should help the CMs at Guest Relations understand your situation.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

I guess I am still a little confused...and I apologize if this has already been answered.
My daughter will be using a special needs pushchair/stroller so we will get the stroller as wheelchair tag at GS. It isn't your typical looking stroller as she is 11 years old and this model is the Convaid Metro which can accommodate up to adult age.
She also has needs that the stroller doesn't help and we will also need a DAS.
My question is for return times do we strictly use the DAS card or will we need to get a wheelchair return card at certain attractions, or both?

I am quite nervous about our upcoming trip and I am doing as much advanced planning and preparation as possible! Thank you so much.

I promis that I have a simple question. How long has the time been to get a return time? I have children with autism and will be requesting a DAS card. We're going in July for the first time. I'm trying to plan our days in the park.

I guess I am still a little confused...and I apologize if this has already been answered.
My daughter will be using a special needs pushchair/stroller so we will get the stroller as wheelchair tag at GS. It isn't your typical looking stroller as she is 11 years old and this model is the Convaid Metro which can accommodate up to adult age.
She also has needs that the stroller doesn't help and we will also need a DAS.
My question is for return times do we strictly use the DAS card or will we need to get a wheelchair return card at certain attractions, or both?

I am quite nervous about our upcoming trip and I am doing as much advanced planning and preparation as possible! Thank you so much.

DS has a smaller convaid cruiser (size 14), we are always being told to park it even though it has the red sticker on one side and the manufacturer's yellow w/c signs on the other side for the bus straps. I'd suggest getting the red tag at GS and displaying it prominately where it can't be missed.

Only once since October was ds given a return card for w/c. That was at Peter Pan. We go to a park weekly. Whether they give you that or a return time on DAS will vary depending on circumstances.

My suggestion is to use FP+ where you can and DAS in between. If you are an onsite guest you can make your FP+ arrangements ahead of time. If you are an offsite guest, you can only make them the day you are in the park (so far just at AK and MK).

We have been loving being able to use FP+ at AK even as offsite guests. Been there 3 different times recently and only used the DAS card twice. FP+ has helped my family tremendously.

I promis that I have a simple question. How long has the time been to get a return time? I have children with autism and will be requesting a DAS card. We're going in July for the first time. I'm trying to plan our days in the park.

The return times depend on crowd levels. During Christmas week, we saw TT with a 2 and a half hour wait. But early December we saw it with a 30 minute wait.

July will be crowded, especially the week before and after the 4th.

DS has a smaller convaid cruiser (size 14), we are always being told to park it even though it has the red sticker on one side and the manufacturer's yellow w/c signs on the other side for the bus straps. I'd suggest getting the red tag at GS and displaying it prominately where it can't be missed.

Only once since October was ds given a return card for w/c. That was at Peter Pan. We go to a park weekly. Whether they give you that or a return time on DAS will vary depending on circumstances.

My suggestion is to use FP+ where you can and DAS in between. If you are an onsite guest you can make your FP+ arrangements ahead of time. If you are an offsite guest, you can only make them the day you are in the park (so far just at AK and MK).

We have been loving being able to use FP+ at AK even as offsite guests. Been there 3 different times recently and only used the DAS card twice. FP+ has helped my family tremendously.

The return times depend on crowd levels. During Christmas week, we saw TT with a 2 and a half hour wait. But early December we saw it with a 30 minute wait.

July will be crowded, especially the week before and after the 4th.

We are going Memorial Day week, same as last year. For the last few years we had the MacClaren Major special needs stroller but now Maddy is too tall for it although she still fits the weight limits. Without the stroller she is an elopement risk in crowds, we do not use it for mobility issues unless you count when she refuses to walk because of a meltdown. It is also her own defined space. With the McClaren we had the sticker well displayed too but were sometimes told to park it until we pointed it out to the CM.
We will be onsite guests and plan to use FP+ (for our evening park touring when the lines are longer) and the DAS and or wheelchair return cards for the morning park time We usually spend about 3-4 hours in a park at a time before DD needs a break. We will need to take the stroller in the lines. I just wasn't sure, since we will have both the DAS and the "wheelchair" which we should use for return times. Thank you!

We are going Memorial Day week, same as last year. For the last few years we had the MacClaren Major special needs stroller but now Maddy is too tall for it although she still fits the weight limits. Without the stroller she is an elopement risk in crowds, we do not use it for mobility issues unless you count when she refuses to walk because of a meltdown. It is also her own defined space. With the McClaren we had the sticker well displayed too but were sometimes told to park it until we pointed it out to the CM.
We will be onsite guests and plan to use FP+ (for our evening park touring when the lines are longer) and the DAS and or wheelchair return cards for the morning park time We usually spend about 3-4 hours in a park at a time before DD needs a break. We will need to take the stroller in the lines. I just wasn't sure, since we will have both the DAS and the "wheelchair" which we should use for return times.

Those are mostly the same reasons that ds uses his. Although he also gets severe motor tics when stressed and if they are in his legs, his legs will give out and he falls.

You'll have no probems taking the w/c in line. Just be prepared for possibly longer waits at certain attractions. (Voyage of the Little Mermaid, TSM, Jungle Cruise, etc.) Though last week at TSM, we only waited 5 minutes after our 45 minute return!

If you take dd to the attraction for the return time, you will either be given a DAS return time or a w/c return time. This varies from cm to cm, how crowded the park is, etc. However, if you do what I have to do and take the DAS for the return time without your dd, you will get the DAS return time for sure. At jungle cruise, I was told by a cm to let them know I need a rope boat for him so that he goes in the w/c line upon return.

We are back from our 12 day trip 12/25-1/6.

My ds is 13 and on the autism spectrum, and he was also in a wheelchair this trip due to Achilles tendon release surgery.

We visit WDW once or twice a year and DL monthly. I was a bit worried how it would all go with the big crowds and my son's feet issues on this trip, but for the most part it went very well. We had a very fun trip!

The CM's treated us well. I was very polite and undemanding - and they were incredibly accommodating. The new system worked just fine but I did need to go to Guest Relations a lot more and that was kind of a hassle because there was always a line (mostly people waiting to change their old tix into new ones).

It helped that I brought my DAS from DL with me for the initial card issuing.

I did witness a few ugly moments when guests were very rude to cast members and complaining about the new system. I even heard some four letter words :eek:

I did find that each park handled things a bit differently at GR and depending on who you got to assist you as well. A lot of inconsistency. One cast member wrote some things on the front of my son's card and then another cast member was upset about that and made us get a whole new card. It's obvious there is still some training needed for consistency.

Still trying to find an absolute (or as close to absolute as we can get!) answer as to whether we can or can not obtain a DAS at guest relations locations outside of the park? We arrive late on a Wednesday (staying off site) and plan on Thursday or Friday a.m. in our first park. We would love to be "ready" at RD with DAS in hand rather than entering and going to GR. I've read that some have had success with outside GR issuing DAS and others being directed to inside park GR. I've contacted WDW via email with this same question with no reply (waited one week). Does anyone have a very recent experience they can share?
Thanks for your help, it's very important for our family to be extremely prepared and organized with as little change in "the plan" as possible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter