WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those areas before were open to anyone with a visible need (such as mobility device) or anyone with a GAC -first come, first served and limited spots available.
There has been nothing those viewing spots, either in anything official or in any rumors at all.
My guess is that they will work it the same way - guests with visible need and those with DAS, first come, first serve.

Thanks for the info - that makes sense! If we can find a tucked away spot to watch parades or fireworks, we try to do that, but sometimes that option works best for us (if it's available.)
:thumbsup2

So much happier to know we won't have to Q at a kiosk then go to the ride after waiting! This way we can get off one ride send somebody to the next ride along, then have a look around at other wait times or get food etc. then go ride through the FP line

We always thought the Universal assistance pass worked really well, so this will now be the same!

Although I have to say I still think this is something that anyone who absurd the GAC cards will want! And nothing much will stop them from getting the card by explaining their needs!!

Up to 2 weeks is a big change.
The first reports were daily for everyone, then up to 7 days and now up to 2 weeks. So, there were things still changing.
Since these items are published in their blog now, I don't think there will be any changes to what we published.

It does say up to 2 weeks, so that does not necessarily mean they will do AP for 2 weeks. They could still do daily for AP holders, either just to start with at both parks, or just at DL. That still fits in up to 2 weeks.
I know that DL was more of a concern with abuse of GACs than WDW was, so I guess we will see what the time is for AP holders.
(And, if it less than 2 weeks, I would not be surprised to see it quickly go up as they get comfortable that the tour group operators are not getting DAS cards.

Being based on ticket media was one of the 'proofs' of length of stay mentioned early on.

TRUE, but I would not EXPECT them to say "FOR" two weeks because that would be silly when most ticket media doesn't extend beyond 10 days! ;) they don't even sell a two week ticket. KWIM??? So why would they even word it that way if they weren't implying that it would apply to AP's? The only other people who could possibly buy a ticket longer than 10 days would be (European) international travelers. I know there are a handful but how many international travelers are in need of a DAS? Like I said, I'm sure there are a few, but that is a LONG way to travel and there is certainly a lot of waiting involved in traveling internationally! ;) And it appears that the main point of the DAS will be to avoid waiting in a line...well it will act as a 'place holder' for the guest.

And remember it has pretty much been confirmed that the holder (or I am assuming a responsible party if the DAS holder is a minor or unable to sign for his/herself) of the DAS will have to sign an agreement that they understand the terms of usage of the DAS and they agree not to abuse it or to use it for monetary gain and if they do their rights to it will be revoked.

For our family, I see us now having 4 options for our upcoming trip at AoA.
1. FastPass+ (I already picked 3 attractions each for our 2 days coming up).
2. Traditional FP. They are still letting you "double-dip" during the MagicBand test phase.
3. DAS card based on DD disabilities (she is more than just wheelchair bound).
4. wheelchair access line, which seems to be completely separate from the DAS.

Just like you can use both FP+ and regular FP right now, I see no reason why we could not use the DAS for some queue lines and the wheelchair return for others. We'll be also using a good touring plan, so I'm not as worried about these changes.

It hasn't been explained yet how attractions without MainstreM lines will work.
One rumor is that those attractions would use return time tickes, given out at the attraction to anyone with a mobility device/who needed to use an accessible queue.
Another rumor is that guests with DAS cards will get a return time for those attractions, but guests without a DAS would get return time passes.

This is a list of non-Mainstream attractions at WDW. Many of them are shows and the wait for guests using the accessible line is no different than other guests

Most attractions for all parks are listed as "Enter through standard queue" for attractions without Fastpass or "Obtain a FASTPASS OR use Standby Queue" on the Guide for Guest with Disabilities maps for each park. There is also a large red box on the maps which says "Guests with any mobility or queue related assistance needs are encouraged to use the Disney's FASTPASS option where ever possible." There is the same explanation about how to use Fastpass as on the regular park maps.
These are the attractions in each park with a different method of access other than the regular line, as listed on the map:
MK

WDW Railroad:Enter using ramp on the RIGHT on Main Street

WDW Railroad:Enter using wheelchair ramp on RIGHT at Frontierland

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Obtain Fastpass or see Host for options. If FASTPASS is not available, enter thru access on RIGHT

Country Bear Jamboree:Enter thru door on LEFT

Hall of Presidents:Enter through door on RIGHT

Liberty Square Riverboat:Enter through exit on RIGHT or LEFT

it's a small world:Follow directional signs to designated load area

Peter Pan's Flight:Obtain FASTPASS or see host for options. If Fastpass is not available, see a host for options.

Prince Charming Regal Carrousel:Enter through exit on RIGHT

Dumbo:Enter using ramp on RIGHT

Tea Party:Enter through exit on RIGHT

Space Mountain:Obtain a FASTPASS or see a host for options. If FASTPASS not available, enter through queue on RIGHT

Epcot

Spaceship Earth:Enter through the exit on the RIGHT or LEFT

Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the 3 Caballeros:Enter through the Standard Queue. Follow directional signs to designated load area.

American Adventure:See a host or hostess for access to second floor

Impressions de France:Enter through LEFT side of entrance hallway

Studio

Great Movie Ride:Enter through the Standard queue. A host will provide directions in the pre-show area

Studio Backlot Tour:Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Fantasmic:Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Animal Kingdom

Wildlife Express Train:Proceed through standard queue. A host will direct boarding

The Boneyard:Enter through the designated access gate

Good list. A couple that could be added if they are not slightly off-topic:

Star Tours: They have been giving return times out since it reopened (can't remember if they did before). They do this because you can't use the standard queue in a wheelchair/ECV because of the stairs.

TSMM & KS: You can enter standard queue, but you are separated from the queue later.

Good list. A couple that could be added if they are not slightly off-topic:

Star Tours: They have been giving return times out since it reopened (can't remember if they did before). They do this because you can't use the standard queue in a wheelchair/ECV because of the stairs.

TSMM & KS: You can enter standard queue, but you are separated from the queue later.
All of those are still considered a Mainstream Lines.

Toy Story Mania, Kilimanjaro Safari, Splash Mountain and Dinosaur all have stairs somewhere in the main line that have a bypass for guests who can't do stairs. Space Mountain has stairs in one side and not the other from what I remember.

Star Tours was not giving out return tickets before the renovation any time that we went. In the past when they did it for various attractions, it was usually for a temporary problem - like more people than the accessible area or waiting area could accommodate or there was some issue with using the area.

This is what is listed on the park map for guests with disabilities for StarTours.
Mobility Access: Obtain a FASTPASS OR see a host for options.
If FASTPASS is not available, enter through standard queue. See a host for Transfer Access Seat.

I have not been on StarTours with DD who uses a wheelchair since the renovation (each time we have been there, it has been out of service, has a long line because it just came back into service, we have just eaten or DD is physically not in shape to go).
It did not have stairs prior to renovation, at least in one of the lines. I don't think that changed during the renovation and they may limit numbers of guests in the building at one time with mobility issues for other reasons (like size of waiting area, evacuation purposes - once you are in the boarding area, the accessible wait out is to continue through one of the ride cars.)

TRUE, but I would not EXPECT them to say "FOR" two weeks because that would be silly when most ticket media doesn't extend beyond 10 days! ;) they don't even sell a two week ticket. KWIM??? So why would they even word it that way if they weren't implying that it would apply to AP's? The only other people who could possibly buy a ticket longer than 10 days would be (European) international travelers. I know there are a handful but how many international travelers are in need of a DAS? Like I said, I'm sure there are a few, but that is a LONG way to travel and there is certainly a lot of waiting involved in traveling internationally! ;) And it appears that the main point of the DAS will be to avoid waiting in a line...well it will act as a 'place holder' for the guest.

While there may be only 10 days of park admissions, many of us with special needs kiddos can't be in the parks every day. We would only need 9, maybe 10 (depending on arrival and departure day timing though it's rare for us to go to a park those days) days of park admissions for a 13 night/14 day stay since every 3rd day has to be a resort day for us or DD15 will be melting down. Since promotions on resort reservations (at least for non-UK guests) typically can't exceed 14 nights, a 14 day max DAS makes sense. It would be nice if there was a way to get longer time if the resort reservation exceeded 14 days like for many UK guests but at this point it looks like that's not the plan.

Here is the link to the WDW website page for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities/disabilities-cognitive/

A page with more information:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities/disabilities-cognitive/

It includes a link to the new guidebook, which looks very complete(41 pages)
It has a wonderful table listing each attraction in one place, with information on things like bumps, surprises, getting wet.
Much of the information in the guide is applicable to guests with any type of disability.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...disabilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide.pdf

UK guests can get 14 day or 21 day tickets. And there are plenty of UK visitors.

Yes, UK guests typically stay 2 or 3 weeks. I think if you were to stay 3 weeks, you could probably explain to a CM and see if they could extend the DAS by a week.

Here is the link to the WDW website page for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities:

It has a wonderful table listing each attraction in one place, with information on things like bumps, surprises, getting wet.
Much of the information in the guide is applicable to guests with any type of disability.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...disabilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide.pdf

Thanks for posting the links. So far, I'm very impressed with Disney. I sure wish my computer could open the pdf guidebook. It loads it part way then stops and my computer freezes. Were you able to open it?

From what I did read, I feel pleased that although I did not get a response back from Disney from the email I sent, it sure looks like many of my concerns are addressed. I sure hope I can open the pdf and get a chance to read it. Hopefully the rest of my concerns are addressed there.

This link in particular gave me a sense of relief and confidence in Disney. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities-services/

Thanks for posting the links. So far, I'm very impressed with Disney. I sure wish my computer could open the pdf guidebook. It loads it part way then stops and my computer freezes. Were you able to open it?

From what I did read, I feel pleased that although I did not get a response back from Disney from the email I sent, it sure looks like many of my concerns are addressed. I sure hope I can open the pdf and get a chance to read it. Hopefully the rest of my concerns are addressed there.

This link in particular gave me a sense of relief and confidence in Disney. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities-services/
Yes.
I opened and downloaded both the WDW and the DL one to my iPad.

Where does it list the break areas? Mine is still downloading. I'm stuck at 2.32MB.
Here's a screenshot I took of the ride table.

image88.jpg

Not sure if this will work, but here's the text from the break area.
There are so many places throughout the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, & Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park that are great for taking a break. There are also areas to relax that are typically a “little less busy” if your family member with a cognitive disability needs some down time. Some examples include:
Main Street, U.S.A.: First Aid; Side Street by Crystal Arts
Adventureland: Swiss Family Treehouse; Corridor to the left of Pirates of the Caribbean
Liberty Square: Behind Ye Olde Christmas Shop
Frontierland: Tom Sawyer Island (NOTE: you must take a raft ride to/from the island and some waiting may be required); Splash Mountain garden area
Fantasyland: Pathway leading from Cinderella’s Castle to Fairytale Garden; Pete’s Silly Sideshow area; Pathway behind The Barnstormer
Tomorrowland: Near Walt Disney’s Carousel of Prog- ress
Table service and quick service restaurant seating areas (during non-peak periods)
First Aid (part of Odyssey Center building next to Test Track)
Future World West: Courtyard and restroom area out- side Imagination pavilion; Area between Seas entrance and Coral Reef Restaurant
World Showcase: Mexico-Outside area to the right of the pavilion near the backstage gate; Germany-Garden area next to Glaskunst; Japan-Garden area; Morocco- Village Corridors; France-To the right of the buildings along the water’s edge; International Gateway; United Kingdom-Garden area at back of pavilion (when shows not running at gazebo)
Future World East: Near Ellen’s Energy Adventure
Table service and quick service restaurant seating areas (during non-peak periods)
Hollywood Boulevard: First Aid
Echo Lake: Walkway surrounding Echo Lake
Animation Courtyard: Near the restrooms to the left of The Magic of Disney Animation attraction
Sunset Boulevard: Courtyard outside The Twilight Zone Tower of TerrorTM
Streets of America: All areas (NOTE: this area is very congested during the The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights event)
Commissary Lane: Outside ABC Commissary
Discovery Island®: First Aid (next to Creature Comforts); Asia: Maharajah Jungle Trek

DinoLand U.S.A.®: Courtyard of Dinosaur; alcove across Table service and quick service restaurant seating areas (during non-peak periods) 36
Discovery Island Trails
Camp Minnie-Mickey: Greeting Trails from the entrance to Finding Nemo-The Musical Africa: Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

Yes, UK guests typically stay 2 or 3 weeks. I think if you were to stay 3 weeks, you could probably explain to a CM and see if they could extend the DAS by a week.

Disney going to have to be very strict with his and make sure the cms don't stray to get from the policy. Like they did with gac so they may have to go back after the two weeks and get another week. The cms my not be allowed to extend them I could be wrong.

While there may be only 10 days of park admissions, many of us with special needs kiddos can't be in the parks every day. We would only need 9, maybe 10 (depending on arrival and departure day timing though it's rare for us to go to a park those days) days of park admissions for a 13 night/14 day stay since every 3rd day has to be a resort day for us or DD15 will be melting down. Since promotions on resort reservations (at least for non-UK guests) typically can't exceed 14 nights, a 14 day max DAS makes sense. It would be nice if there was a way to get longer time if the resort reservation exceeded 14 days like for many UK guests but at this point it looks like that's not the plan.

As someone who does (well, guess it is did since this is the last trip) 4 weeks trips, I don't see any problem with a max. 14 day duration for any type of accessibility feature. It's hardly as if one has to drop in daily and with a bit of planning with regards to time of day and location it takes up very very little time to get something reissued when needs are clearly communicated. Even for an almost month long trip that would require only popping in twice. Yet limiting the duration is a very important tool in cracking down on abuse, for which the risk does increase the longer you let said feature be handed out. Personally I view it as a good sign that they are limiting duration to 14 days.

For my current trip technically I'ld have to pop in 3 times for this trip, since the 14 days (already being practiced, unlike in recent past where for instance those of us with AP's and a longer resort stay could get a GAC for longer) happens to be right before the changing date of oct. 9th.Very likely will not be having my GAC reissued for those few days given some other hick ups (read; powerchair having such serious issues haven't been able to use it since days after arrival and back up at least allows me some mobility again, but it way to torturous to spend any time in let alone ride anything anyway), but have to say I consider that no biggie. And that's within the big scheme of things where I can only sit a max of 30 minutes at a time and a max of perhaps 2 or at most 3 hours a day. Obviously I require very strict planning and scheduling to enjoy most the parks have to offer when even just taking that into consideration, obviously there are plenty of times where that planning is not enough simply because the wait for an accessible vehicle is too long. Yet in the scheme of things those 2 minutes that reissue takes does not rock my boat. It's a very low "demand" imho, yet delivers a lot.

With the switch to DAS not only will that planning be much easier to do and can my wait time be much better predicted (thus allowing me to make better informed decisions) because they can much better predict the actual need for for instance an accessible vehicle. Combine that with me loving to mis a ride because the wait is too long for me with folks in there that need to be there, but having been beyond frustrated with noticing that would be the exception yet the norm more and more turned into not riding due to line clogged up with well...... other issues. The DAS in its base will allow much better predictable accessibility and with that much better accessibility in many different situations. One of my bumps is that I can't sent a runner out being on a solo trip (love it, but has it's cons obviously), but again this is where the DAS comes in extra helpfull; higher predictability.

Disney wont ever be able to do any and all, nothing they can do to make everything possible for everyone. Simple laws of physics, health etc. But within all of those limitations, they've also always made things so accessible that I'm very confident that my touring the park can only be improved by current changes. Having seen how above and beyond they've gone for me in the past I not only have faith in the system and above all the spirit of what they are attempting to achieve incl. those CM's that live by said spirit but also consider it a very small and very acceptable "price" to pay to drop in once in every 14 days.

Thank you so much this is great. I must admit I have a hard time believing story about people paying someone with a disability to use their GAC! However I see people parking in handicapped spaces who are not handicapped everyday!!!

Disney has done a great job clearing up some things, I don't think it's going to be as bad as I feared. With that said, I can't find info on one thing that I have been wondering about.
I have read rumors that if the wait time for a certain line is short enough, you will be waved on through instead of given a return time, however I have heard anything from 10-30 minutes on this rumor, depending on which site it's on. If a wait time is 15 min or below we would go ahead and get in the standby line anyway instead of using the DAS, since DS can handle short waits, especially if he has his stroller. However, if the wait was over that, we would probably need to use the DAS. Has anyone heard what the "true" time would be for this case??

Also, I just want to thank EVERYONE on this board for all the info and help. I know I have been stressed over this change, I can only imagine what you all have went through trying to sort out all this mess. :hug: THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter