WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The w/c acts like a cacoon and gives him his own area where he feels safe. Loud noises go off and because he feels safe he stays in the chair. Sometimes he even puts on the seatbelt and shoulder harness for more of a sense of security and pressure.

I have absolutely no doubt that a wheelchair works great for some people who need that feeling of separation (and our stroller worked well for our son when that was his need) but that is not what the OP was being advised to use one for. She specifically said that her son runs off in order to get to the rides he is desperate to ride. Not because he's startled by a sound or something like that. In that circumstance, I really don't think that a wheelchair would help. If he wants to get to the ride, he wants to get to the ride.

I have absolutely no doubt that a wheelchair works great for some people who need that feeling of separation (and our stroller worked well for our son when that was his need) but that is not what the OP was being advised to use one for. She specifically said that her son runs off in order to get to the rides he is desperate to ride. Not because he's startled by a sound or something like that. In that circumstance, I really don't think that a wheelchair would help. If he wants to get to the ride, he wants to get to the ride.

The person suggesting it said it helped her child that had the same tendency. It was just a friendly suggestion since it helped her. It's obviously not going to work for everyone, but it's up to the person she was directing it towards if they want to give it a try.

Maybe I've just missed it in this thread, but I haven't seen anybody mention how shows like Laugh Floor and Philharmagic are being handled for those with crowd issues. A DAS will do nothing for us since we make sure to arrive at these shows when we'll get into the next show or maybe the one after at the longest even without a DAS. It's not about how long we wait. My DD can't wait in the mob waiting areas where everybody is constantly told by CMs to push forward and crowd together and you have to be in this crowd even if you arrive only a few minutes before the show. Has anybody heard anything yet about what if anything is done for people in this situation?

I am planning my families first trip to Dinsey World for this time next year. I am a single mom and will be traveling with my DS-18 PTSD, ODD, ADHD (has learned many coping tools and is donig very well), DD-17 Bipolar 2 (new diagnosis and we're still working out the kinks), DS-14 my 'normal' kid (family joke), and DS-6 ADHD, ODD, and GAD (dignosed a few months ago, but have been working with him for longer, he's a lot like the oldest)

Now knowing whose on my team, I have a question about our trip. I am planning on getting a stroller for my DS6, he's a runner when he looses it and waiting for long periods not moving can set him into whirlwind.

With the new DAS system, would I be able to request a card? I have no problem waiting the time that the attraction states, I just don't think he will handle the being still part if its more than 30 minutes. We could walk around, do a shorter lined attraction, get a snack, etc.

Just wondering if I am understanding the new system correctly. This trip is a big step for me, as it's just me and the crew.

I wonder how the DAS will help with the crowded waiting area anther poster mentioned. At Philharmagic I used the GAC to wait in the handicapped section which is not crowded at all. I also sit in that section. I havent done VOTLM in years because there was no other place to wait than that little room with people crowded everywhere. I would love to know how to avoid that pre show waiting area.

I am planning my families first trip to Dinsey World for this time next year. I am a single mom and will be traveling with my DS-18 PTSD, ODD, ADHD (has learned many coping tools and is donig very well), DD-17 Bipolar 2 (new diagnosis and we're still working out the kinks), DS-14 my 'normal' kid (family joke), and DS-6 ADHD, ODD, and GAD (dignosed a few months ago, but have been working with him for longer, he's a lot like the oldest)

Now knowing whose on my team, I have a question about our trip. I am planning on getting a stroller for my DS6, he's a runner when he looses it and waiting for long periods not moving can set him into whirlwind.

With the new DAS system, would I be able to request a card? I have no problem waiting the time that the attraction states, I just don't think he will handle the being still part if its more than 30 minutes. We could walk around, do a shorter lined attraction, get a snack, etc.

Just wondering if I am understanding the new system correctly. This trip is a big step for me, as it's just me and the crew.

You can still get the stroller as a wheelchair tag if that helps.

Maybe I've just missed it in this thread, but I haven't seen anybody mention how shows like Laugh Floor and Philharmagic are being handled for those with crowd issues. A DAS will do nothing for us since we make sure to arrive at these shows when we'll get into the next show or maybe the one after at the longest even without a DAS. It's not about how long we wait. My DD can't wait in the mob waiting areas where everybody is constantly told by CMs to push forward and crowd together and you have to be in this crowd even if you arrive only a few minutes before the show. Has anybody heard anything yet about what if anything is done for people in this situation?
I know both have a section for those with wheelchairs, etc. to wait in that is seperated by a rope. According to the official rules, you shouldn't need a DAS to use this area, you should simply be able to ask to wait there.

I haven't seen anything official or unofficial about people without mobility devices using the waiting areas intended for wheelchairs. Where are you seeing this? It would be great if we just had to ask when we get inside. Has anybody heard that this is what's actually happening?

David mentioned the stroller as a wheelchair tag, and absolutely get that, but beyond that, if your youngest was in his stroller throughout the lines, would he manage the slow moving wait? Would the others be able to stand in the line with you without issue while waiting as well? If so, then you may not need a return time DAS.

If, the others have trouble being confined for a longer period in the line, and the youngest needs to keep moving, then a return time DAS seems reasonable. You would be able to do whatever you want during the wait time, just as you suggested. Move around, go on shorter lined rides, etc. That's precisely what it's intended to do. It allows you to control the wait for a ride in a way that works for your family.

I would definitely make sure you've got a handle on how to explain your needs, vs the behaviors that your child exhibits. "My child runs and my child gets antsy when waiting" is not the same as saying, "My child needs to be confined to his stroller for his safety, and my child needs to be able to wait for a ride outside of the line, where we can walk around and keep him occupied." The first tells the CM the behaviors . They may not understand the need that goes with those behaviors. The second version takes guesswork out of the equation and specifically tells them what you need.

Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

We walked over to HM, but DS started getting panicky, so we didn't ride.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.

I haven't seen anything official or unofficial about people without mobility devices using the waiting areas intended for wheelchairs. Where are you seeing this? It would be great if we just had to ask when we get inside. Has anybody heard that this is what's actually happening?
It's just what guest relations told me when I asked.

Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.

Sounds like you got pretty much accomplished today. You're right, it's more work. And an adjustment to do things on Disney's time instead of your own, like your lunch time.

Was the clogging of FP line entrance points due to wristbands not being read right away? I know when entering the park, we saw cm suggesting guests hold their wristband a certain way so it could read it.

I'm tired just reading it LOL

I do think this is a GREAT attitude "We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage." There is a "learning curve" with this new program. It is nice to see parents trying to make it work.:thumbsup2

I think it is "case by case". I have not seen anything in writing. One CM may allow you in the area and the next say no. I know GS says you should be allowed in the area, you arrive at the area and a Cm says no. I was only half joking when I told GS I needed a "note" from them to give to the Cm.;)

Please forgive me if this has been asked/answered before. I haven't yet figured out how to search this site as thoroughly as I'd like. Let me preface that I don't need a DASC, and never had a GAC, but it's just a curiosity about the bottom Disney Dollar.

It's my understanding that nearly everyone is now being asked to rent a wheelchair or ECV. How is that an accommodation for a disability? For annual passholders, trips to Disney are basically free (if you travel up for the day, pack a lunch, and leave at dinnertime) once you've paid for the AP. This forced rental business seems like a pocket-liner.

What about those with stamina/mobility issues who cannot, or do not want to, shell out $70 a pop?
What about those with body configuration issues, for whom a standard wheelchair would be inappropriate?
What people visiting alone or with children who could not reasonably be expected to push them? Will a CM pusher be provided?

Is this one of those "tweaks"?

Question about closing a park down with a DAS. Basically a das will not work for night time. For example we had an hour left ( was going to hop to Epcot). Soaring was 90 mins and so was test track. How do they handle it then? The park closes in an hour. Our return time would be 80 mins. So do they just turn people away? We didn't go because they were the only rides we wanted to ride, but it got me thinking.

mrzrich I admire that you found a way to work with the system. I wish Disney would use the system I saw in another thread where the wait is after the ride. You have to wait the time of the standby line for the first ride before you can get in another fast pass line but you do not have to back track.

Used the DAS on the first day in AK. Bit of a line to get it issued but CM encountered was very respectful and explained everything thoroughly. fyi i'm not going to address why my party required the card but the first post is very clear as to the procedure, just thought i'd post my experience since I was rather anxious.

stayed onsite, card was issued for 14 days, perhaps due to being PAP holder, not sure.

Was told to bring the card back next trip and they would scan the QR code and re-issue another as long as nothing had changed as to needs or Disney's tweaking of the system. It was stressed this version is a work in progress and those participating in it are part of the testing process just as with the magic bands.

Yes, there is a def learning curve as to scheduling FP returns. Glad we didn't have to juggle the magic band too this trip. Change is always hard (at least for me it is :guilty:) but the DAS is a welcome accommodation as a tool that can be used to help enjoy the parks.

I was told that if your child has a DAS card that DAS return times, FP return times, and FP+ return times would be honored even if you go back past your return time. This is to account for children who suddenly melt down and you physically can't get back at your return time or return window. Anyone heard this also? Someone I know was told this by a GS CM.

We had a return time that would coincide with a show we wanted to see and were told to return anytime after the stated time. However, you cannot have more than one return time 'open' i.e. can't get another without using or forfeiting the existing one.

The only issue we ran into was some of the CMs weren't filling in the card correctly and a supervisor had to be summoned a few times before we were granted access to the FP line.

yes, based upon my observations the magic bands do seem to be holding up 'the show' in the FP lane. Hopefully, it's a matter of guests learning how to position them.

Thank you for this report. We're visiting in February and will be requesting a DAS (we have received GAC's in the past). It is so helpful to have first hand information so we can better prepare and know what to expect. Preparing our son as to what to expect is vital, surprises are never good! We've been talking about the new system with him, how it's changed and how we will tour differently. As long as we can put a positive spin on things for him, he'll go into this change positively. I know this system doesn't/won't work for everyone, but we found it to be a good approach for our son and has taught him some new coping skills. I "sold" the new system to him by listing off all the things we can do while waiting for our return DAS time (shops, smaller attractions that we typically don't ride, shows, Sorcerers card game, etc.). We're all on board to give it a whirl and make the best of the new experience (fingers crossed we'll stay in the "happy place"!).

Please forgive me if this has been asked/answered before. I haven't yet figured out how to search this site as thoroughly as I'd like. Let me preface that I don't need a DASC, and never had a GAC, but it's just a curiosity about the bottom Disney Dollar.

It's my understanding that nearly everyone is now being asked to rent a wheelchair or ECV. How is that an accommodation for a disability? For annual passholders, trips to Disney are basically free (if you travel up for the day, pack a lunch, and leave at dinnertime) once you've paid for the AP. This forced rental business seems like a pocket-liner.

What about those with stamina/mobility issues who cannot, or do not want to, shell out $70 a pop?
What about those with body configuration issues, for whom a standard wheelchair would be inappropriate?
What people visiting alone or with children who could not reasonably be expected to push them? Will a CM pusher be provided?

Is this one of those "tweaks"?

I have been wondering about this as well. How "convenient" for Disney that they are now suggesting that a lot more people get wheelchairs or scooters which they oh-so-conveniently have for rent right there. Why should those who don't really need them have to shell out extra money to use them? The oft-used reasoning that "there's more walking in between rides than in line" is really quite ridiculous. If a person can do the park in 4 hrs instead of 8 hrs then that is 4 fewer hrs on their feet, period, and obviously less time in the park will lead to fewer stamina issues. And yes, even the new DAS would result in a shorter day and more resting if the alternative is getting FPs that could be hours in the future instead of just 45min, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter