WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is not so much about using DAS, it's about being deemed "eligible". My 8 year old is extremely sensitive about his differences and I am really concerned about having to have a lengthy conversation with someone in which I have to convince them he needs it. Do I have to give details about his bathroom needs? Do I have to describe the meltdown he will have when he feels closed in? How much do they need to know about his overheating issues? If we were going now, I would probably write it down because just his hearing me discuss any of the topics with a stranger would ruin his day.

We don't have a trip planned, but were thinking of one for next year. Just going to wait and watch before making a commitment to go.

I think writing it down is perfectly acceptable. Don't give up yet.

Hello all, after reading quite a bit of this thread I thought it would be good to prepare a little written list of my son's issues to make it faster and easier to obtain a DAS. Can you please read and (nicely) critique this? I would appreciate any advice on any information I may be missing, or any information I don't need to include. Thank you. Imagine the following on a paper I give to the CM at GR.

Hello!

My son Matthew is in need of accommodation for his disability.

He is nonverbal and has limited comprehension of language.

While he LOVES most rides, he does not comprehend and cannot tolerate waiting long periods in line.

He obsesses over several rides and has several “beloved” rides that he wants to ride ASAP. He will physically pull us to the ride, often making loud vocalizations and crying at the same time if he is denied.

Extended wait times will result in him making increasingly loud verbalizations, crying, and physical “behaviors” which will be disturbing to other guests around him. He also does not respect physical boundaries between people and will often sit down on the floor while waiting (I have no idea why.)

Because of his obsessions, recovery from these above “meltdowns” takes a very long time, if he recovers at all.

If we go up to a ride, then leave without riding (in other words, get a fastpass) he will have a “meltdown.”

Depending on his mood, he may only tolerate as little as 3 to 4 hours in a park.

I would appreciate very much an accommodation that limits the amount of time he has to spend in line.

Thank you!

I will try to get him to get is picture first, but at least I know I have the option to have mine taken, if my boy freaks at the thought of having his picture taken. Thanks!

They use an iPad to take the picture right? No big flash camera? My son loves technology, especially our iPad so I'm hoping it won't be as big of a deal.

Hello all, after reading quite a bit of this thread I thought it would be good to prepare a little written list of my son's issues to make it faster and easier to obtain a DAS. Can you please read and (nicely) critique this? I would appreciate any advice on any information I may be missing, or any information I don't need to include. Thank you. Imagine the following on a paper I give to the CM at GR.

Hello!

My son Matthew is in need of accommodation for his disability.

He is nonverbal and has limited comprehension of language.

While he LOVES most rides, he does not comprehend and cannot tolerate waiting long periods in line.

He obsesses over several rides and has several “beloved” rides that he wants to ride ASAP. He will physically pull us to the ride, often making loud vocalizations and crying at the same time if he is denied.

Extended wait times will result in him making increasingly loud verbalizations, crying, and physical “behaviors” which will be disturbing to other guests around him. He also does not respect physical boundaries between people and will often sit down on the floor while waiting (I have no idea why.)

Because of his obsessions, recovery from these above “meltdowns” takes a very long time, if he recovers at all.

If we go up to a ride, then leave without riding (in other words, get a fastpass) he will have a “meltdown.”

Depending on his mood, he may only tolerate as little as 3 to 4 hours in a park.

I would appreciate very much an accommodation that limits the amount of time he has to spend in line.

Thank you!

Can one of you get the DAS card filled out while the other entertains him? He doesn't have to be present to get the return time, just to ride is my understanding.

Has anyone had any success with the ability to ride one attraction a few times in a row? Sometimes my son will only ride one ride a few times and be done. It's just how it goes. I know that may sound like a strange request but I cannot be the only one? :confused3

There have been a few posts about this, as well as at least 1 youtube video posted. My understanding is it's handled on a case-by-case basis and you have to request at Guest Relations when you get the DAS. They call it "guest recovery" or something like that -- basically, a set of use-anytime Fastpasses for your party. One set of FPs, with recommendation to get the DAS return time, then ride with the FP followed by the ride on the DAS return time -- so 2 rides with little wait between.

At least that's what I've seen...

If you haven't looked at post one of this thread, you may want to. It is a FAQs about the DAS and does include answers to a lot of the questions people are asking here.
I don't think they do unless the party is over 5 or 6. Anyone else know this?
A 'usual' party is 6 (5 plus the person with a disability), which is the same as the GAC was.
Reports are that they will allow up to 10, but for groups of more than 6, everyone will need to be there at Guest Relations when the DAS card is requested.
Good idea. Now I may have missed this, but do you need to get a DAS everyday for every park or can you get 1 and it is good for length of stay (so if your trip is 6 days is it good for 6 days?)
You get a DAS at Guest Relations at one of the theme parks and it will be valid at all of the other theme parks.
It will dated to be valid for your 6 day length of stay.
Just a thought about the picture being taken, is this something you might be able to get him used to doing at home? It's just a thought that may or may not work for you, but it's an idea. Also, if it makes a difference, they use an iPad Mini to take the picture, at least that's what's used at DL.
Good idea.
And, a picture with an iPad is a lot different ( and probably less threatening to many kids).
That hasn't usually been my experience in the past. In fact, the last time I went to GR (last Fall), the CM there specifically said, "At most attractions, it's up to the Cast Member how they want to handle it; we can't tell them what to do. I used to work the Great Movie Ride, and if you'd come in when I was working there, I personally wouldn't have made you come through the dark queue, but I know other people who would. It's really up to whoever's on duty at the time."

And that's how it's worked out for me. The first time I went to Nemo, I told the first CM I ran into that I couldn't see where I was going, and he just said, "Straight ahead." Later on, I learned that there was another way in and specifically asked to use it, but had to be really firm about insisting on it. I've tried to argue my way out of the dangerously dark foyer of the Haunted Mansion more than a few times, but never succeeded. (Which is why I get so irritated every time I hear someone brag about being let in though the exit just because their kid was scared - they don't want a kid to get *scared* in a *haunted house*, but they don't care if *I* fall and break my neck?)

So, the on the spot decision making has always rested with the attraction CM's, and it seems to me that they haven't ever been given any kind of training or counseling on it - at least not anything consistent.

I was hoping that with the new system, there would actually be some kind of formal provision made for the visually impaired; the only formal assistance that was available under the old system was seating in the front for shows, and audio descriptions for the completely blind. Maybe there will be a second wave of improvements. I realize that Disney can't do everything for everybody. But with all this technology? There could be a line of code in my Magic Band that says it's dangerous for me to walk in the dark, and a warning could pop up on the CM's tablet when I go through the scanner at the entrance. Easy as pie, but it doesn't get done.
I do think they are eventually going to go that way.
It would really be a good use of the technology - at Guest Relations, they would find out just what type of assistance you need and put it into your file.
At the attraction, the CM could use your Magicband to link to your file and the iPad at the attraction could pop up personalized information for that attraction, based on your needs.
It's kind of 'blue sky' dreaming, but could be very doable, even with the technology they currently are starting to use.
They use an iPad to take the picture right? No big flash camera? My son loves technology, especially our iPad so I'm hoping it won't be as big of a deal.
:thumbsup2
Can one of you get the DAS card filled out while the other entertains him? He doesn't have to be present to get the return time, just to ride is my understanding.
That is correct.
Someone else can take his DAS card and get a Return Time for him.
He doesn't have to come to the attraction until it is time to ride.

There have been a few posts about this, as well as at least 1 youtube video posted. My understanding is it's handled on a case-by-case basis and you have to request at Guest Relations when you get the DAS. They call it "guest recovery" or something like that -- basically, a set of use-anytime Fastpasses for your party. One set of FPs, with recommendation to get the DAS return time, then ride with the FP followed by the ride on the DAS return time -- so 2 rides with little wait between.

At least that's what I've seen...
That's what I have heard too.
And, it is not known whether it is a temporary thing while people get used to the new DAS or whether it will continue.

Yes, but this may or may not work. There are times when he grabs us by the hand and PULLS us to an attraction, and will NOT be distracted. Usually this is Splash, Test Track, Soarin', Everest, and RnRC. Sometimes Astro Orbiter too. This is my biggest worry with this new system. My understanding initially with DAS was that there would be centralized kiosks where you could get return times without going up to the rides. Now I am hearing that is not the case. I am REALLY worried about this part, and I wanted that information conveyed in the document I give to GR.

But really, I just posted to see opinions on if I should present this at GR to hopefully expedite the DAS process., and if yes, then is there is anything I should add or subtract. My old method for obtaining a GAC was to say "Here is my son, he has autism, and he can't wait in long lines" but that will not be sufficient any more. Do you have any suggestions along those lines?

That is correct.
Someone else can take his DAS card and get a Return Time for him.
He doesn't have to come to the attraction until it is time to ride.

That will not always work, for example, when I am with just him and his sister, without my husband.

"There are times when he grabs us by the hand and PULLS us to an attraction, and will NOT be distracted. Usually this is Splash, Test Track, Soarin', Everest, and RnRC. Sometimes Astro Orbiter too. This is my biggest worry with this new system. My understanding initially with DAS was that there would be centralized kiosks where you could get return times without going up to the rides. Now I am hearing that is not the case. I am REALLY worried about this part, and I wanted that information conveyed in the document I give to GR."

My son would do that pulling and stuff, and frankly, that is one reason we started using a chair in the parks. (one of many reasons). At least now I can look around while I push him. I can get food, I can slightly relax. (DS has no sense of danger, either). He actually gave me "tennis elbow" from pulling, years ago, which took months to ease up, and I have bursitis in my shoulders...... so I get it.

The centralized type kiosks for the return times are at DL and Cal Adv parks in California. I also get your feeling on approaching a ride, then leaving with a return time, and how that could upset your son; I expect that will happen to us, too, but at least in the chair, I can get him away easier. I will NOT have a "runner", I will be pushing him up to each ride to get the RT. With the chair, my son points and tries to say the name of a ride sometimes, but at least he can't drag me in that direction.

Oh, the sitting on the ground thing? Ditto. Moms around here call that "the wet noodle". Not so bad when they are younger kids, but now my son weighs 160 pounds. that is one big wet noodle. Again, the chair prevents most of this for us.

I get your issues, but the reality is, he will now have to wait, either on the line, or away from the line. It is a new reality. It means going to the parks on the least busy days possible, for us. My son also only lasts 3-4 hours, tops, but really, that is true for many other people, too.

Good luck.

I get your issues, but the reality is, he will now have to wait, either on the line, or away from the line. It is a new reality. It means going to the parks on the least busy days possible, for us. My son also only lasts 3-4 hours, tops, but really, that is true for many other people, too.

Good luck.

I'm not sure why that has to be the new reality when there have been numerous reports of people being given additional accommodations for reasons similar to what the OP is talking about. This only has to be the "new reality" if people do nothing but accept it.

I'm also not sure how a wheelchair can contain an otherwise physically healthy person. My kids get up and jump out of a stroller, and that's harder to get out of than a wheelchair. One pause and the OP's son could be out of the chair and dashing through a crowd and now she's got to maneuver a wheelchair to chase after him. I just don't think that's a very good or safe recommendation.

I'm not sure why that has to be the new reality when there have been numerous reports of people being given additional accommodations for reasons similar to what the OP is talking about. This only has to be the "new reality" if people do nothing but accept it.

I'm also not sure how a wheelchair can contain an otherwise physically healthy person. My kids get up and jump out of a stroller, and that's harder to get out of than a wheelchair. One pause and the OP's son could be out of the chair and dashing through a crowd and now she's got to maneuver a wheelchair to chase after him. I just don't think that's a very good or safe recommendation.

Sorry, I thought OP was trying to say her son needed a DAS that allowed no waiting. I no longer thought that was an option, but maybe it is. I know some people were able to get passes to ride the same ride several times in a row, stuff like that. I did not think "no waiting" was an option. I stand corrected.

I understand what you are saying about a "healthy person" jumping out of a wheelchair. I suppose I did not think about it that way, because my son is not really a "healthy person" per se. Autism, non verbal, down syndrome, Vision problems (no depth perception), very poor balance, fused ankles, poor stamina, excessive rocking, etc. (there is more I will skip for now) Sean can get in and out of his chair, but he doesn't jump out unless we tell him to, for some reason. With the Convaid, he can't get out until he bends down and flips the foot pedals to the side, so I would have some warning he was going to jump. I think he feels safe in there too, his little bubble. It is also great for parades, he can sit in it for the long wait for the parades to begin, and for the meet and greets. Sorry to disagree, but using a chair of some kind can really help some autistic kids and adults.

He does not use this chair at home, only for trips to Disney, museums, zoos, aquariums, etc. I can only think he stays in the chair, because he has learned to do so. (lucky for us) The parks would be completely impossible for us without his red chair. Even with it, they are challenging. :rolleyes:

But when I say "good luck", I mean it sincerely, I wish everyone well and I hope they have magical trips to Disney.

That will not always work, for example, when I am with just him and his sister, without my husband.

On top of that, I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that now, for those that are lucky to have a "runner", the time spent together as a family will be reduced. I wonder what consideration and possible adjustments will come of these issues in the next few months.

I was given three choices about the picture. 1. Have ds's picture taken 2. Have my picture taken instead 3. No picture, additional manager approval required and his ID would be required to match the name on the DAS. (He does have a state ID because it was required to get a parking permit by the state.)

Interesting about the ID for the parking permit. My son does not have an ID but luckily he does not usually freak out about pictures. That is if they don't require a good picture but he probably would not look at them for it and could even cover his eyes.

My 5 year old son uses a stroller in the park. He can now get out of it unfortunately which came as a surprise during a very scary meltdown at Epcot. He was having a horrible panic attack that began by going into Askershus restaurant and I had to leave with him. He got out of the stroller in full panic mode (I have no idea how) and took off running. He is fast and strong and has this total ability to make it nearly impossible to pick him up when he does not want to be lifted. It was so scary. He made it halfway around the world with me running after him and his struggles with me when I would catch him, the whole thing took a good 45 minutes and then he wanted me to carry him. It was so exhausting and in the 90s. We both practically passed out and were both crying by the end if the ordeal. The CMs were very helpful. My point is sometimes you think they are secure and they get away. Of course he is physically healthy and all muscle. For someone who only eats Cheerios, blueberries, the occasional waffle, and almond milk I have no idea how he can be so fit especially considering that he jumps all day long and is never still for a second. How does he not waste away to nothing. So for those with physically challenged children I may not be as big of a risk.

"There are times when he grabs us by the hand and PULLS us to an attraction, and will NOT be distracted. Usually this is Splash, Test Track, Soarin', Everest, and RnRC. Sometimes Astro Orbiter too. This is my biggest worry with this new system. My understanding initially with DAS was that there would be centralized kiosks where you could get return times without going up to the rides. Now I am hearing that is not the case. I am REALLY worried about this part, and I wanted that information conveyed in the document I give to GR." My son would do that pulling and stuff, and frankly, that is one reason we started using a chair in the parks. (one of many reasons). At least now I can look around while I push him. I can get food, I can slightly relax. (DS has no sense of danger, either). He actually gave me "tennis elbow" from pulling, years ago, which took months to ease up, and I have bursitis in my shoulders...... so I get it. The centralized type kiosks for the return times are at DL and Cal Adv parks in California. I also get your feeling on approaching a ride, then leaving with a return time, and how that could upset your son; I expect that will happen to us, too, but at least in the chair, I can get him away easier. I will NOT have a "runner", I will be pushing him up to each ride to get the RT. With the chair, my son points and tries to say the name of a ride sometimes, but at least he can't drag me in that direction. Oh, the sitting on the ground thing? Ditto. Moms around here call that "the wet noodle". Not so bad when they are younger kids, but now my son weighs 160 pounds. that is one big wet noodle. Again, the chair prevents most of this for us. I get your issues, but the reality is, he will now have to wait, either on the line, or away from the line. It is a new reality. It means going to the parks on the least busy days possible, for us. My son also only lasts 3-4 hours, tops, but really, that is true for many other people, too. Good luck.

What kind of chair do you use? Are are looking for a new one for our 10 year old daughter with autism as she has outgrown her special needs stroller. We use it for all the same reason you do. Thanks!

What kind of chair do you use? Are are looking for a new one for our 10 year old daughter with autism as she has outgrown her special needs stroller. We use it for all the same reason you do. Thanks!

Can't answer for previous person but we use a Maclaren Major for our daughter. We love it! It folds up like an umbrella stroller. Compared to many of the other special needs strollers we priced, we thought it was much more reasonable also.

Years ago my son was a runner. Any sudden or loud noise sent him running. So did the sight of an animal. Parking lots were nightmares. He'd bolt with no concern for safety. One day at the MK there was a construction wall up and for some reason it frightened him and he ran. I had to drop everything in my arms and caught up to him at Dumbo. That was when his occupational therapist recommended getting a w/c or medical stroller.

The w/c acts like a cacoon and gives him his own area where he feels safe. Loud noises go off and because he feels safe he stays in the chair. Sometimes he even puts on the seatbelt and shoulder harness for more of a sense of security and pressure.

Since this summer, his legs give out with tics and he's been falling so now he's using it for additional reasons.

Interesting about the ID for the parking permit. My son does not have an ID but luckily he does not usually freak out about pictures. That is if they don't require a good picture but he probably would not look at them for it and could even cover his eyes.

There is an exception for people who can't get their picture taken, I think in that case it required further physician documentation. But this is for a FL disability parking permit, nothing to do with Disney.

I know you didn't ask me, but my son has a Convaid Cruiser. He is outgrowing his and we'll probably go to the next size up because I really like the way it pushes easily. The foot rests are very heavy and add quite a bit of extra weight to the chair. It's bulky, but it does fold.

We have a Convaid that folds up like an umbrella stroller it is obviously bigger but it has held up really well and has seen many trips to Disney.

Can't answer for previous person but we use a Maclaren Major for our daughter. We love it! It folds up like an umbrella stroller. Compared to many of the other special needs strollers we priced, we thought it was much more reasonable also.
That is what we currently have but she is too tall for it. My daughter is 4' 9" and weighs 87 pounds. Technically she is still under the weight limit but her legs are so long and she look awkward in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter