WDW DAS going digital? - YES - started April 30, 2015. See page 6

Can you still choose the show time, or does it default to next available show?

I was told that for instance Voyage of the Little Mermaid show in DHS the computer defaults you to the next show. You don't pick which one you want. Maybe someone can update us when they use it at a show.

I was told that for instance Voyage of the Little Mermaid show in DHS the computer defaults you to the next show. You don't pick which one you want. Maybe someone can update us when they use it at a show.
I have not seen how show time assignments work.

Unlike other DAS Return Times, the ones for shows had a beginning and an end time. That was because they were for a specific show time. They need to do that so there are not more guests assigned to that show for Fastpass Plus and DAS than there are seats available.
With paper DAS, guests were able to choose which show time they wanted. We were generally told the next show and asked if that would work for us.

With choosing times for Fastpass Plus, the system chooses one (? the next showtime that is available and works with the Fastpasses the guest already has?).
That is the 'suggestion' for the Fastpass Plus, but it is possible to look for a different time for the show.
My best guess is that DAS Return Times will work the same way, with a default suggestion as a kind of 'starting point' that can be changed.

Last edited:
If you could choose the show before, why wouldn't you be able to now? Nothing in the actual process has changed, it's just digital now instead of on paper.

I have not seen how show time assignments work.

Unlike other DAS Return Times, the ones for shows had a beginning and an end time. That was because they were for a specific show time. They need to do that so there are not more guests assigned to that show for Fastpass Plus and DAS than there are seats available.
With paper DAS, guests were able to choose which show time they wanted. We were generally told the next show and asked if that would work for us.

With choosing times for Fastpass Plus, the system chooses one (? the next showtime that is available and works with the Fastpasses the guest already has?).
That is the 'suggestion' for the Fastpass Plus, but it is possible to look for a different time for the show.
My best guess is that DAS Return Times will work the same way, with a default suggestion as a kind of 'starting point' that can be changed.

Thanks all. We are going to try it today. I assume paper DAS with a longer expiration aren't being grandfathered in? DS' s expires May 14.

Thanks all. We are going to try it today. I assume paper DAS with a longer expiration aren't being grandfathered in? DS' s expires May 14.

I believe they are not. Boys told me that if someone has a paper one they are to ask them to visit GR and have it changed.

Last edited:
I believe they are not. Boys told me that is someone has a paper one they are to ask them to visit GR and have it changed.

I talked with @Missyrose last night and that was her first stop. Guess this confirms it will be our first stop as well. Thanks. Does Ink work for Disney too?

Just a quick update. We were at Epcot yesterday w/DD's not-yet-expired old DAS. We were allowed to use her paper pass all day, and were told we would be able to do until it expired, but had the option to go digital if we chose. The line at GR was pretty long, so we just stuck w/the old pass. So just a bit of info for those who may still have valid paper DAS!

Just a quick update. We were at Epcot yesterday w/DD's not-yet-expired old DAS. We were allowed to use her paper pass all day, and were told we would be able to do until it expired, but had the option to go digital if we chose. The line at GR was pretty long, so we just stuck w/the old pass. So just a bit of info for those who may still have valid paper DAS!
that's interesting.
I've seen posts where people wrote they were told they needed to convert even though it wasn't expired.
It may be something that is not quite clear to CMs yet, or maybe some parks are not totally ready or maybe some people misunderstand and didn't realize changing was an option, not a necessity.

Since other than bring digital, the same rules still apply, I can see they might continue on with some of the paper ones until they expire. It's not the same as when the switch from GAC to DAS took place, where everything changed.

And, before too long, all the paper ones will be outdated anyway.

We didn't go today. Going tomorrow instead. DS is so worried about his picture. He likes the one he has on his card with his Duffy bear. I explained to him that the new way won't have a picture for him to see. Only the cast member will see the picture. Wish me luck tomorrow, lol. On the flip side, my parent's magic band didn't work the last couple times, so a picture was taken of them at the gate and used the 2nd time it didn't work. I used that for a comparison of what his DAS will be like.

We didn't go today. Going tomorrow instead. DS is so worried about his picture. He likes the one he has on his card with his Duffy bear. I explained to him that the new way won't have a picture for him to see. Only the cast member will see the picture. Wish me luck tomorrow, lol. On the flip side, my parent's magic band didn't work the last couple times, so a picture was taken of them at the gate and used the 2nd time it didn't work. I used that for a comparison of what his DAS will be like.
that happened with our DD's Magicband on our last trip.
I agree with you that it is probably a good comparison of what the digital DAS will be.

I wonder if the system will be "smart" is you have both a DAS return time and a FP+ in the same time frame for the same attraction. A common scenario for us would be to say have a FP+ for Space Mountain for 2:00. At 12:30, we grab a DAS time good at 1:30 or after. We show up at 2:00. Will the system use the FP or the DAS return? Could be an issue if it was towards the end of the FP window and it used the DAS first, causing you to lose the FP.

I wonder if the system will be "smart" is you have both a DAS return time and a FP+ in the same time frame for the same attraction. A common scenario for us would be to say have a FP+ for Space Mountain for 2:00. At 12:30, we grab a DAS time good at 1:30 or after. We show up at 2:00. Will the system use the FP or the DAS return? Could be an issue if it was towards the end of the FP window and it used the DAS first, causing you to lose the FP.
there may be some glitches, especially at first as they are working things out and finding the bugs.
I have read some reports where that happened, but the CMs at the attraction handled it by giving a paper Fastpass to use.
It may be more of an issue if you have DAS and Fastpass Plus both for the same attraction.
The DAS holders Magicband gets scanned first for attractions he/she is using DAS on. For ones where you have Fastpasses, it might be best to scan other members of your party first.
You will know if the Magicband scanner is using the DAS time because the Mickey head will glow blue, alerting the CM to check the screen to verify the DAS holder.
I'm guessing at that point, you could say - wait, we want to use our Fastpasses.

that's interesting.
I've seen posts where people wrote they were told they needed to convert even though it wasn't expired.
It may be something that is not quite clear to CMs yet, or maybe some parks are not totally ready or maybe some people misunderstand and didn't realize changing was an option, not a necessity.

Since other than bring digital, the same rules still apply, I can see they might continue on with some of the paper ones until they expire. It's not the same as when the switch from GAC to DAS took place, where everything changed.

And, before too long, all the paper ones will be outdated anyway.

This is very likely the case. When we first got to the park, I had a survey person tell me that is wasn't going live for another 2 weeks. Which is why we never stopped at GS, and were informed by a CM at Test Track that we had the "option" to switch.

This system will not work for me unless the interpreter times are included in the system. This will ne especially true for shows.

This system will not work for me unless the interpreter times are included in the system. This will ne especially true for shows.

How does it work for you now? Unless you are forced into the next show, I don't see how it won't work, and I doubt they would force you into a specific show.

We used the system at MK and EP. We discovered that having anytime FP and DAS are not compatible.

At 3 rides the time was 15mins and the Cms said we would come in right then anyway and had us scan our bands on the mickeys. They turned green and what we had assumed it was due to them making them green. Nope, it was taking our anytime FPs. What the GR CM told us to do was to tell the Cms at the ride that we could not scan in due to the anytime FPs and they would need to wave us through or give us a pass or whatnot but that we should not scan our bands at an attraction unless we scheduled a return time.
Otherwise at MK the DAS was fine.

At EP,my daughter was turned away from 2 attractions when she went to seek a return time. They are going to need to better educate the cms that the system is live and that children may not use the correct terminology and they need to read between the lines a little bit. My daughter asking for a time for her disability card shouldnt be confusing IMO but apparently it was. Yet the CM still gave her a switch pass, which makes no sense. When I went to both rides I spoke to CMs that were fully aware of the active system but at one ride their little ipod thing was broke and it took a good while to get the time. That sucked a bit.

The system seems to be fine and for us I just add everyone to the DAS time to give options. Better to have everyone added and someone not ride rather than not add them and someone want to ride.

We used the system at MK and EP. We discovered that having anytime FP and DAS are not compatible.

At 3 rides the time was 15mins and the Cms said we would come in right then anyway and had us scan our bands on the mickeys. They turned green and what we had assumed it was due to them making them green. Nope, it was taking our anytime FPs. What the GR CM told us to do was to tell the Cms at the ride that we could not scan in due to the anytime FPs and they would need to wave us through or give us a pass or whatnot but that we should not scan our bands at an attraction unless we scheduled a return time.
Otherwise at MK the DAS was fine.

I think in your case, it wasn't a matter of the anytime FP and DAS not being compatible, but rather that the CM didn't do what he/she was supposed to do and give you a return time of 5 minutes later. If there isn't a DAS return time on the band or a FP+, but there are anytime FP, then of course it's going to take those. Being computerized, the band reader is going to look for what's available rather than turn red.

Sounds like some of the CMs still need some training on following company policies.

I think in your case, it wasn't a matter of the anytime FP and DAS not being compatible, but rather that the CM didn't do what he/she was supposed to do and give you a return time of 5 minutes later. If there isn't a DAS return time on the band or a FP+, but there are anytime FP, then of course it's going to take those. Being computerized, the band reader is going to look for what's available rather than turn red.

Sounds like some of the CMs still need some training on following company policies.
I'm a little confused by the bolded statement. If there are anytime FPs on someone's account, they don't have times associated with them, so how is the CM supposed to make the DAS return time 5 minutes later?

Yes, definitely. I wasnt aware of what was happening behind the scenes on the screen and I understand now which is why I wanted to post about it. The CMs were being nice by not making her wait the 5 mins which is good to know they still have that leeway but the way they would normally do that doesnt work with the anytime passes on the account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter