WDW and Universal??

CdnBuzzFan

DIS Veteran
My son and DH are looking forward to going back to the World later this year, however, I just cant seem to get into it this time. Someone suggested that maybe we needed to changed our routine and add a day or two at Universal. We've been to WDW 6 times but have never gone anywhere off property. Has anyone gone to Universal while staying at Disney (on Disney property). I'd like to know your experiences and what it was like for you and if you would recommend doing both in one trip. We will be going for 8 nights / 7 days, our son is 14 and not that into harry potter and we will be doing qs dining.

I've done both on my last three trips and doing it again on my upcoming trip in September. The previous three we've flown down and taken the Mears bus to and from Universal, $20 a person and this time we're driving down so we'll be driving to the park. My friend is really into Harry Potter so she wanted to do that aspect and I love Halloween so I wanted to do Halloween Horror Nights so we'd be there from early morning to late in the evening but we found it to be worth it. One day park to park is a bit pricey but if you're doing multiple days the price isn't as bad as Disney so there is that bonus.

Have you looked at the other rides/lands to see if there is anything that you'd be interested in? If nothing really sparks your interest, there's not much of a point in going.

I felt the same way in March so we added 4 days at Universal and loved it. Stayed at Cabana bay and hate to say that we loved the resort better than any of our Disney hotels. A five minute bus ride to the park makes for a more relaxing vacation when you can take a break in the middle of the day. Rides are a different kind of fun.

My kids are 10 and 11, they say Universal is more "big kid". Honestly, we all prefer it to Disney right now :blush:, especially when you stay on site and have an unlimited Front of the Line pass!

I'm doing both in a couple of weeks. 5 days Disney, 2 days Universal. Staying offsite.

We added 1 day Universal Studios to our WDW trip and to be frank we didn't really like it and were happy to be back at WDW that night. There's way less magic in the air, all the rides are kind of the same with different theming and there are more rude guests at Universal compared to the WDW parks.

I would say Universal rides are more intense (which I love) We have never done both parks in the same trip but I think it would be fine as long as you have a rest day if you need one.
I would say that even if are not into HP the Forbidden Journey ride is amazing and just the walk through the castle is incredible. I love Disney but I do enjoy my roller coasters and butter beer at Universal.
Have fun!

We were going to try WDW and Universal next Spring but my Grand daughter wants to do so many things at WDW,,so we won't have enough days to get over to Universal.
When we have done it in the past we just keep our room at Disney and cab it over VERY early(6:30 am) to Royal Pacific Resort for a night --we leave overnight bags with bell services and head out to one of the two theme parks. (We have to make use of the early park admission).
The next day we drop our bags again at Bell services and head back to do the other theme park.
We then pick up our bags at RPR and cab it back to Disney.
I can see our 2018 spring trip being all Universal.
Have a great time planning your trip
Hugs Mel

Two years ago we did 3 days Universal and stayed in one of their hotels, then used a towncar service to transfer to Wdw hotel.
We loved Universal and their onsite hotels are really nice, esp with the Front of the line pass. The boat ride to and from the park was very pretty and relaxing.
We thought Universal was very well done.

We've done both for the past couple of years. We like both very much!
We have our own car though so we drive ourselves.

We always do a couple of days at Universal, but we just get a cab from POR in the morning. Bigger, more intense rides - definitely good for teens, but there is no 'magic bubble' like you feel in DW.

I've heard great things about the Universal hotels but repacking and switching sounds like a nightmare idea to me...packing is not a fun vacation activity IMO!

As you can see below via our calendar tracker ... the plan includes 3 nights at Uni, 7 nights at Disney, and drop in a boat ride with the mouse at the end - to boot. :-)

Two years ago we skipped Disney and did 9 nights at the HardRock/Universal - we had a great time. We are not huge HP fans, but HP is spectacular! I would argue that Diagon Alley, and it's theming currently, can't be matched by anything at Disney World. The rest of the park(s) are cool and fun, but different than Disney. That being said, we love Disney.

Anyway, if you can stay on site (we're doing Portofino this time - love the hotel/pool) I think 3 nights/2.5 days is a good amount of time to enjoy Universal/IOA. Then take a cab or a towncar to Disney.

You might surprise yourself ... in a good way!

FYI - There are 4 of us in our party, DS 14, DD 12, DW, and I. From one Canadian to another ... :-) ... if it's not too cost prohibitive, I think it will make for a nice change. Comparitively, the lack of planning might kill you :-) ... you'll just have to adapt!

We did that when my kids were under 10 and then stopped doing WDW altogether! We much prefer Universal and Disneyland. They both just spoil you with the lack of planning and transportation needed.

What do you mean "no planning":badpc:. We would get to tour the park the old fashioned way without a schedule to follow? Just do things we want to do as we come to them? Partially just kidding, but can you seriously tour without a plan.

we did both for first time last year. My kids loved Universal. Disney will always be special but the buzz of the trip was certianly Universal this year!

We have done both in one trip several times. This October will be our second "Universal only" trip. We love Universal and prefer to dedicate a trip to Universal one time, and Disney the next. Go and try it, I think you will enjoy it.

What do you mean "no planning":badpc:. We would get to tour the park the old fashioned way without a schedule to follow? Just do things we want to do as we come to them? Partially just kidding, but can you seriously tour without a plan.

We don't plan. Especially with park-to-park tickets. We show up in one park and hop the Hogwarts Express over to the other when the spirit moves us. We never know where exactly we will end up when we walk through the park gates. No plan, no problem! :goodvibes

We are trying to decide how to do this. We are making a sudden trip end of August and it is free dining so worth to stay on DIsney property (although not much choice left for hotels in moderates....our own fault for making last minute decision so we are still holding out hoping another hotel pops up). So we are staying 7 nights at Disney but wondering if I should only stay 5 nights at Disney and two at universal.........or just stay all at Disney and drive back and forth. Thanks for thoughts so far.

We always do a couple of days at Universal, but we just get a cab from POR in the morning. Bigger, more intense rides - definitely good for teens, but there is no 'magic bubble' like you feel in DW.

I've heard great things about the Universal hotels but repacking and switching sounds like a nightmare idea to me...packing is not a fun vacation activity IMO!
I think you loose that magic bubble not staying on site. Same with Wdw. Just not the same feeling as on site.

As you can see below via our calendar tracker ... the plan includes 3 nights at Uni, 7 nights at Disney, and drop in a boat ride with the mouse at the end - to boot. :-)

Two years ago we skipped Disney and did 9 nights at the HardRock/Universal - we had a great time. We are not huge HP fans, but HP is spectacular! I would argue that Diagon Alley, and it's theming currently, can't be matched by anything at Disney World. The rest of the park(s) are cool and fun, but different than Disney. That being said, we love Disney.

Anyway, if you can stay on site (we're doing Portofino this time - love the hotel/pool) I think 3 nights/2.5 days is a good amount of time to enjoy Universal/IOA. Then take a cab or a towncar to Disney.

You might surprise yourself ... in a good way!

FYI - There are 4 of us in our party, DS 14, DD 12, DW, and I. From one Canadian to another ... :-) ... if it's not too cost prohibitive, I think it will make for a nice change. Comparitively, the lack of planning might kill you :-) ... you'll just have to adapt!
We did that too. Stayed 3 nights at Portofino and booked a towncar to take us to Wdw. Portofino then GF. I could have easily done 4 days at Universal at a more relaxing pace. We loved our mid day breaks back at Portofino. Amazing resort! And those toilettries :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter