WDW After Divorce

I never traveled to WDW with my ex, but my dh did with his. At first, he was hesitant to go because I guess there were some problems the time that he went. His ex had a pure out fight with the people at Hoop De Doo because she was carded for beer etc. But, even though he wouldn't admit it I knew there had to be some fun times in there! There 3rd dd was born exactly 9 months later!

We just did different things the first time. We didn't stay at the same hotel, eat at the same places etc. 3 trips later, dh doesn't bat an eye when it comes to going back to disney. We are even doing Hoop De Doo this time! I would say that was a major breaththrough.

I think you will find better and better memories. DH had all the bad stuff first and foremost in his mind and built up the dread. Once a few days past I could see that he was letting go. Maybe you will find dreading it is actually worse than doing it! I have had so many situations like that.

I hope that you have a wonderful time and many many new fun memories!

Kelly

My ex and I went to WDW on our honeymoon mainly because I said, "I'm going to Disney, I don't know where you'll be going, but I'm going there..." ;) and then we went 2 years later to celebrate my parents 40th anniversary.

In 2002, my parents and I went down, the last trip to Disney for the 3 of us together, while I was going through my divorce. It was the best trip! I needed to go and I had the 2 most important people with me there sharing my journey into a "new life".

Go. Go and have fun...it's a new beginning!

My experience...
I went once with xh, before kids, and he made the trip miserable. After speperating, I took my 2 kids, along with my sister, and we had a wonderful time. I firmly believe in the healing properties of WDW! You can and will have a wonderful time. Go back! Do some things you and x never did- easy enough,there are always new things! Beat the new man at TSM! Anyway, this past May I got remarried and dh went on hisfirst trip ever. He's hooked and we are living our own happily ever after.
good luck to you!

Thank you! Thank you! Everyone who posted! You all have given me hope! I had to laugh at myself as I sat and remembered my past WDW trips. Yes they were special, but I remember so many times when I missed out on something I really wanted to do (still haven't done Tower of Terror!)... or had to sit with the baby (there always seemed to be a baby) while everyone else went on Splash Mountain.

I also am glad to have gotten the perspective of someone who has been in my DF shoes. He hasn't been since 1976, and is so looking forward to it, but he knows I've been a bunch of times and now I will make sure I keep in mind how it must feel for him. I bet he sometimes thinks he is just tagging along - and I so don't want him to feel that way!

My ex hated sports. I love them. So does the DF... so we are going to golf, and check out Disney's Wide World of Sports.... and try out the watermice, and get up early and swim... All the things he and I enjoy, AND things I always wanted to do and couldn't. :)

You'all are right. This trip is going to be different. I AM gonna take back the WORLD. Just gotta remember this awesome advice..."put one foot in front of the other"

Thank you all!!!

HUGS! Go and have fun. I went to Disney for the first time as an adult with my ex. We got engaged there, went on our honeymoon there, and several other trips. Now we're divorced and I'm planning my first trip back in Feb. and can't wait!

There was a long while that I couldn't look at any of my Disney stuff or even think about going back. Then one day I woke up and knew it was time to go back.

My ex has been to Disney more times than I have and if not for him I'd never have gone in the first place probably. But he's a schmuck and I'm going to have a lot more fun without him LOL!

Have fun on your trip!!

Good for you! Go and have a WONDERFUL time!

DS and I were the Disney addicts before my ex took me there and proposed in front of the castle (it was his first trip - but he knew what it meant to me). A few months after we were married, did our first trip with the new blended family and introduced his 2 small DDs to The World. He made the trip entirely miserable. After the divorce, it was another 3 years before DS and I could go again - I had to prove to myself that we could get the magic back (because it seemed as if it had all been taken away)! And we did! Had THE BEST trip!

You're going to have a GREAT time! Enjoy!

I know its not quite the same thing, but "firsts" after a traumatic event are always hard. My mom went to WDW with us once a year from the time the kids were little. Sometimes just she and I would take them by ourselves. On our last trip there with her, we stayed at the Yacht Club and one of our last great dinners was at Ariel's Restaurant. It was hard getting up the nerve and going back. It was almost a relief to see that Ariel's was closed and my memory was locked in my heart. Hugs to you. You are in a better place now and you will have a wonderful time creating great memories.

Not only did I used to travel to WDW with my ex-husband, but that is where we met. He is one of the only people that "tolerated" my kind of WDW-commando vacation and a lot of times I miss that.

But since the divorce I made SOOOO many new memories. I figure it two ways

#1-I had Disney before him!!
#2-I am not going to let HIM or the DIVORCE ruin Disney for me. It's not worth it.

It gets easier, I think the first time was one of the hardest (plus I had some other personal stuff going on), but it really does get easier!

It worked out fine for me. I had only traveled to WDW with my ex and never anyone else - so going with new DH was going to be strange! But we've made so many great memories in only two trips - I hardly think of the other times. You will have a great time!

You know, my mother always used to say, when I had to do "hard" stuff, or when I was dealing with something negative "You have to go through it. You can't go around, because eventually you'll have to go through it".

Basically she meant you have to face your demons, whatever they may be, get through the hard part of facing them and come out on the other side.

You will probably have some bittersweet moments your first trip to WDW without ex-H. After all, you were there with him at one point as a family. There is mourning to be done, and there's nothing wrong with that. Mourn the loss of your family memories, your husband, your children having an intact "nuclear" family...whatever it is that you are mourning.

When you're done mourning, make your new memories with your wonderful new man!:love:

Yes, there will be sad moments, but like everyone else said, you'll create new memories. Go and enjoy yourself. :)

Plz go. It wouldn't be fair for the kids nor for you if you don't go. What you had with your husband while in Disney is something you can treasure. This is going to be a new chapter for you, so this means when you go to Disney, you start fresh, new experience with your fiance.

My husband passed away about 6 years ago in Disney. We were on our 7th year Anniversary. He was only 32. Died of heart aneurysm. It was so difficult for me to even think about Disney. I stayed away from Disney for about 2 years. However, I said to myself, this is not fair for me nor the children because, this is our favorite place to go. And that is why it is always a bitter-sweet whenever we go to Disney.

You'all are right. This trip is going to be different. I AM gonna take back the WORLD. Just gotta remember this awesome advice..."put one foot in front of the other"

Thank you all!!!

Have a great trip. And welcome back to the DIS.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter