WDW After Divorce

Begiensgirl

Been there, done that, doing it AGAIN!
I really wasn't sure where the heck to post this.... so here I am. A few years ago I was here on the DIS boards all the time - My husband and I, and our four kids have had some amazing WDW vacations. We worked hard, saved every penny, had a blast and it is an important part of our family's history. Now I'm back, planning a small vacation and pretty much scared to death!

I'm here to see, if anyone is comfortable sharing their experience of WDW after a divorce. My husband is now my ex, after 20 years together. One of the biggest hurts was remembering all our WDW vacations, and realizing there would be no more vacations like that again. I know that sounds weird. But it's true.

I was happy for the kids when my ex took the them to WDW last year with his girlfriend. It stung but I was glad for the kids sake. Also, I am now engaged to a wonderful man and life is better than it has been in years. For a while I just figured I'd never go back to WDW again. The divorce was painful enough. But it's been three years since I've been and I need to go and get past this.

Can anyone tell me if they've experienced this same dread/anticipation?

I don't want to take up any more space, so I'll leave it at that. Everyone here seems so friendly and sincere. I just wonder if I am the only one who's experienced trepidation about returning to the Happiest Place On Earth, after the Happiness is over. (and yes I know there is more Happiness to come...but I still worry that the magic will be gone)

Thanks for reading....I am really not as morose as I sound... I really just wondered (okay, I'm also pitching for a little encouragement. Anyone got some extra backbone to spare? :) )

I took my kids to WDW several years after my divorce - it was our first real post divorce vacation, and I was nervous for a lot of reasons. I figured that staying on site would be safe for the three of us, and it was! We had a blast, and I realized that it was a lot more fun with a lot of laughs. I think that once you get there, you will think about WDW in the present and not WDW in the past.

Just try to think of it as "You're creating new memories."

Once I went to WDW and my boss met me at the airport upon my return and fired me. Not as traumatic as a divorce but it was pretty ugly. It happened about a year ago. I know the magic still lives at WDW because about a month after I got fired I went back just to make sure and it was a blast and nobody fired my DH when we returned.
Enjoy making new memories with your new love, don't follow that same plan you have in the past for the order you experience WDW rewrite your experience and you'll see it's still a magical place. Have fun.

Go make some wonderful new memories! It will feel different this time but that's okay. The kids will be so happy to be there with YOU! Their happiness will make you happy. Wishing you the best. :grouphug:

:hug: I know how hard it could be. When I was going through my divorce I can remember thinking, "From now on, even the very best experiences in our lives will be bittersweet."

I had my first post divorce trip last June. Maybe it wasn't quite as hard as my ex had more of a "take or leave it" attitude towards Disney, where I went as a young girl and had many memories of WDW before I was even married to begin with.

But we had a great time. We stayed at a new resort (BCV) and I had to admit it was nice not having to sit around and wait for someone to come back from golfing. The hardest part was doing things like the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Fare. You could tell someone was missing. I went with my parents and my sister and her husband, so I wasn't exactly alone. But my girls want rides, and they all want to relax. So many days, it was just me and girls at the parks. We made our own memories (Renee's eyes just lit up when she saw Kim Possible!). I'm sure you will too. Have fun!

heck.. I was married there.. and am now going through a divorce... my best friend helped me plan a...

"Taking back the World" birthday trip in April!

Totally reclaimed it for my own..

I'm on great terms with my soon to be ex, but WDW was mine before and its mine again!

Even if your uncomfortable you have to go!!!!
If you stayed away from all the places you went when you were married you are going to loose out on some wonderful times!

Once your there you'll know you did the right thing & it will be empowering!:thumbsup2

Also post when your going so the Dis will keep your encouragement up!

Remember that time when he did that thing that made you mad when you were in WDW?

*poof* GONE!

Or that time you wanted to go ride Dumbo and he said the line was too long? Not any longer!

And hey, if he went golfing or "insert his thing here" you can now do your thing! Like, go get a massage or have your nails done or one of those fake tattoos.

Who needs a silly ex-husband, any way?

Go to WDW and make new wonderful memories with your DF and kids!!!!

My first Disney trip was with my ex (who wasn't my ex at the time) and kiddos. The following year...he and I were no longer together and I thought I'd be sad not doing the 'family' thing.. but we had a great time and made wondeful memories... It SOUNDS hard...but it's not :)

How ironic for me to see this question today? I became a Disney freak with a boyfriend from '88 to '93. I mean we used to go multiple days a week. That ended in '93, and I started seeing someone I dated in high school. I lucked out, he became as big of fan as me. We had annual passes for 9 years. We went monthly, stayed at the same hotel for 10 years. We were married there. Just today, he will be gone for a long time. But, I felt the same way about DW from the first boyfriend, I would never feel the same with someone else at DW. Well, I was wrong. And made even more memories with him. Just remember not to mention the memories from the past.

I really wasn't sure where the heck to post this.... so here I am. A few years ago I was here on the DIS boards all the time - My husband and I, and our four kids have had some amazing WDW vacations. We worked hard, saved every penny, had a blast and it is an important part of our family's history. Now I'm back, planning a small vacation and pretty much scared to death!

I'm here to see, if anyone is comfortable sharing their experience of WDW after a divorce. My husband is now my ex, after 20 years together. One of the biggest hurts was remembering all our WDW vacations, and realizing there would be no more vacations like that again. I know that sounds weird. But it's true.

I was happy for the kids when my ex took the them to WDW last year with his girlfriend. It stung but I was glad for the kids sake. Also, I am now engaged to a wonderful man and life is better than it has been in years. For a while I just figured I'd never go back to WDW again. The divorce was painful enough. But it's been three years since I've been and I need to go and get past this.

Can anyone tell me if they've experienced this same dread/anticipation?

I don't want to take up any more space, so I'll leave it at that. Everyone here seems so friendly and sincere. I just wonder if I am the only one who's experienced trepidation about returning to the Happiest Place On Earth, after the Happiness is over. (and yes I know there is more Happiness to come...but I still worry that the magic will be gone)

Thanks for reading....I am really not as morose as I sound... I really just wondered (okay, I'm also pitching for a little encouragement. Anyone got some extra backbone to spare? :) )

In a way I can understand how you feel. Last October was the first trip to Disney after we lost my oldest daughter. It won;t be easy, but you make new memories. I had my grandson, just under three, and youngest dd turning 12 with us.

I had some really difficult moments. But many many good ones as a family. This was the first trip with ds dil and gson. I had a heaviness, but it was worse in the planning and wondering how I was going to do it. Once there it did not overwhlem me. there were spontanious good feelings, magical feelings and memories of good moments.

Just go with your feelings, and remember, life is short, live it to the fullest no regrets.
dianne

When I was married to my ex, we used to go to Disneyland every year with dd. When we separated, my sister was worried about me and she and my cousin paid for dd and I to come visit them in LA and included a couple of days at DL. I was dubious at first but it was such a treat for my dd during an extremely difficult time for her and watching her have a blast made me feel happy for the first time in a long while.

Now we travel to WDW every year with DH and it's a totally different experience. He's much more easygoing than my ex is. We made new, different memories and we have a great time.

I recommend doing what you can to make it different--stay at a different hotel, eat at new restaurants. Luckily, WDW is so big that you could spend a whole week there trying out new experiences.

I hope you have a great trip!

I can totally relate--after 14 years of marriage DH and I divorced. We did Disney many many times as a family and as a couple. I have been to Disney many times since then--with many different groups (friends, family, etc). Trust me--you will remember the good times but will make many many more new memories--that are just as happy (if not happier).

my first trip to wdw was with my ex husband...we went there for a few family vacations but he was just a awful person and found a way to ruin every trip now my dh and our family go and we have a blast! I think of it as our place and never think of those times...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter