WAY OT: Looking for a poem about kids playing sports... to deter bad spectators??

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I'm glad I missed my son's football game today (my daughter had a soccer game in another town), because I'm not sure I could've handled it like a lady. Apparently, another teammates father was shouting some very unkind things to and about my son, who is the quarterback. He was doing it very loudly and repeatedly and unfortunately my son heard every word. They were having a rough game and lost 27-38. Keep in mind...my son is 11. These are children and I am disgusted that his heart is going through this. He was choking up on the phone just telling me about it and when he gets home - I'll give him the biggest hug, but I know it will not help. :sad2:

I remember a poem that used to be on the back of the high school football programs and the gist was "do not belittle the players, because they're just young kids, etc etc. The end of the poem said something like "he's just a boy and not yet a man" and "that boy is my son, you see" or something to that affect. I tried to search it online and can't find it. I am hoping to have it printed up and placed on the back of the programs next year. It's a shame it's needed. Some people....:confused3

If I was there, I would've asked the man (I use that word loosely)...if you want our team to win then why would you mess with the quarterback's head like that, buddy?! Shouting out like that - it only screws up their focus. It probably embarrassed his OWN son. Jerk!

Does anyone know which I'm talking about???

That didn't work, I have it pinned on pinterest, let me try something else.

He's Just a Little Boy

He stands at the plate with his heart pounding fast;
the bases are loaded; The die has been cast.
Mom and Dad cannot help him; he stands all alone.
A hit at this moment would send the team home.
The ball nears the plate; he swings and he misses.
There's a groan from the crowd, with some boos and hisses.

A thoughtless voice cries out, "Strike out the bum!".
Tears fill his eyes; the game"s no longer fun.
Remember-he's just a boy who stands all alone.
So open your heart and give him a break.
For it's moments like this a man you can make.
Keep this in mind when you hear someone forget.
He's just a little boy, not a man yet.

I think it's a shame that people do that. In our league the man would have been given a warning, then removed from the park.

I remember the first year my son played baseball, he was 9 and it was coach pitch (DH was his coach) He's not very athletic and has poor muscle tone from steroids to treat leukemia when he was little. For the first 3/4 of the season he struck out and everyone yelled "good try" and encouraging things. I still get tears in my eyes thinking of the first time he hit that ball, both teams went crazy cheering for him. I know he never would've gone back out on that field if someone had yelled mean things at him.

And here's the football version.

JUST A LITTLE BOY

(FROM THE 1983-84 CAMPBELL COUNTY ALL STAR PROGRAM)

HE STANDS IN*THE HUDDLE WITH HEART POUNDING FAST.

THE SCORE IS TIED; THE DIE HAS BEEN CAST

MOM AND DAD CANNOT HELP HIM, HE'S OUT THERE ALL ALONE.

A TOUCHDOWN AT THIS MOMENT WOULD SEND THE TEAM HOME.

THE BALL REACHES HIS HANDS; HE RUNS AND HE STUMBLES

THERE'S A GROAN FROM THE CROWD, WITH SOME BOOS AND SOME GRUMBLES.

THE THOUGHTLESS VOICE CRIES:* "TAKE HIM OUT HE'S A BUM"

TEARS FILL HIS EYES; THE GAME'S NO LONGER FUN.

SO OPEN YOUR HEART AND GIVE HIM A BREAK.

FOR IT'S MOMENTS LIKE THIS, A MAN YOU CAN MAKE.

KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN YOU HEAR SOMEONE FORGET.

HE'S JUST A LITTLE BOY AND NOT A MAN YET.

Ugh, some people are such jerks! I'm sorry that happened to your son. Stories like this make me even more thankful for Upward Sports!

I'm not a frequent poster on this section so pardon me if this comes across as instantly Debbie Downer. Do you really think a poem is going to make a big difference? It's a nice gesture but I think the more proactive thing would be to bring it up to the head of the league. That behavior from parents is ridiculous and should be addressed. I used to play on a work sports league and in our sportmen's policy we had to agree that any guest brought along was to behave in a way that didn't single anyone out and wasn't aggressive or hurtful.

My brothers and I all played football growing up when we were little, until aged 10 or 11 maybe. At this age I started to play rugby and my brothers followed. I never realised, or don't remember at least, parents shouting onto the pitch at football until I played rugby. Every rugby club has a code of conduct not just for players but parents, this kind of behaviour wouldn't be tolerated at a rugby club, not just because the rules say so but because of the ethos of the sport especially with mini's and juniors.

As I got good at rugby I noticed other kids having a pop at me. It really got to me, all I was doing was playing a game I loved, it wasn't my fault I was good but if I'm going to play I'm going to play to the best of my ability. My Dad saw it upset me and took me aside and explained that these kids having a go were envious and not to let it get to me. Sticks and stones kind of thing.

I bet your son will really appreciate his cuddle, but if you explain to him that this Dad on the sideline is pathetic and trying to bully your son to put him of his game as he is clearly the better of the 2 quarterbacks on the pitch, I bet it will help him with his game too.

As far as the pathetic idiot shouting abuse at a child is concerned, I'd bring it up with your sons coach, ask him to bring it up with the other teams coach and the league. I coach junior rugby now, and if a parent was behaving like this I'd ask to speak with the ref, explain that I want the game stopped and the idiot spoken to, I want it explained to him that his behaviour is not appropriate, especially at a kids game and if he refuses to stop he will be asked to leave the game. I am sure the other sides coach would agree with this.

Alternatively I have been at a game not coaching, spectating, and have seen this happening, some fools can't help themselves, I have challenged the parent shouting. A lot of people disagree with overly voiciferous parents, especially when they are being abusive, but not a lot of people want to be the first to challenge inappropriate behaviour.

Sorry for the long post, this subject happens to be something close to my heart and one I could talk all day on.

Thanks everyone. I did talk to my son about it, and so did my husband and we basically told him that we are "better than that". Although I know his feelings were hurt...crushed really... he acknowledges that there will always be jerks on the sideline, and as he gets older, certain people will feel more comfortable with jeering and being a$$es. I appreciate all of the feedback and I just mostly wanted to reread the poem, because I remember really liking it.

No - I don't think it will make a difference to that one guy or to guys like him, but it is something that is a nice reminder for all parents to look at. My husband said the coaches plan to address it at Tuesday's meeting and I told him maybe we should just let it go. He said "no way", and reminded me that all parents, along with the athletes, had to sign a code of conduct at the start of the season and that the man broke the code by singling out a player on the field in a negative way. I totally forgot all about that agreement we all signed!

On a positive note....MY SON SCORED A TOUCHDOWN!!! I can't believe he failed to tell me that until this morning at breakfast. He is a decent quarterback, but they rarely run plays that allow him to score, so this is only his 2nd ever! It just goes to show you that one negative thing can all but destroy allllll of the positive. He was so focused on the "bad" thing that happened, that he didn't even remember to tell me he scored!! I'm not even sure he remember it himself. Poor guy!

Also look up Mike Matheny (St. Louis Cardinals manager) he has an excellent letter to parents about sports (he has I think 5 kids who all play different sports) some call it the Matheny Manifesto alot of coaches, leagues/organizations use it here and pass it around or make parents sign a version of it befor the season starts.

Really happy that your son is OK, definitely take it to the coaches meeting, adults should know better:)

Ummm, like I said I had to be at my daughters soccer game & was not present. My husband was there & from what he said, it just became an awkward situation for all of the spectators. He told me it took all that he had to keep his cool.

The coaches did hear the comments but didn't know how to intervene without a bad situation becoming worse. This man is the type that would've handled it badly if confronted.

I think (& hope) it's handled tomorrow when he brings his son to practice.

People are jerks!

My daughter (8) swam on a rec swim team this summer. First time swimming in a meet and only 5 practices she swam anchor for a relay. She was slower and the relay came in 3rd out of 4.

Some old fart said right behind me squawks" Looks like the anchor has an anchor" I whipped my head around and laid into him. Including thats my kid, its her first meet and if you think you can do better than why don't you take her place." he stuttered apologies left and right.
Worst part is his grandchildren swam for the same team my DD swam for. Everytime during the summer he seen me at the pool he went the other way. LOL

I'm sorry for your son. :hug:

Just came back to see if there was an update.

I hope you didn't take my comment as a slight against you for what you wanted to do. It was just an observation that from how you described it that this idiot probably wouldn't read it let alone think it was for his consideration.

Glad to hear your son is handling this well and that it'll be brought up to the coaches. Keep us updated!

Oh no, I didn't take it wrong at all. I re-read my post and see how it might have seemed that way. Whoops.

Update: practice was cancelled due to rain & that means the meeting was too. Postponed until tomorrow. In the meantime my son broke down tonight saying that some of the kids on his team have been bad talking him behind his back. He's never had this happen to him before now. This is like a social experiment gone wrong! One cowardly adult calls a child names & suddenly it catches fire.... Other (kids) follow suit. This will also be addressed tomorrow. These boys need to learn to have each others backs when things get rough - not turn on each other! Sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter