water in POTC boats still an issue! (small rant)

I've been on the boats recently where there was a little water on the floor and seats of the boat, but not several inches. If there are INCHES of water inside the boat, that sounds like an issue. And lately I have not seen riders getting soaked like was happening right after the new boats debuted. Maybe they are learning to better distribute the weight in the boats.

My sister rode it last Tuesday and said they stayed dry and there was no water in the boat

We were on four times between 11/12 and 11/20, other than a little splash here or there, that was it. We were in the front row once (2 adults, 8yo &7yo). They asked us if we wanted to sit in the front, and we decided to go for it. No water over the front, after the drop.

We also didn't have any boats with standing water covering the bottom of the boat. A few, very small puddles and some wet footprints on the seats.

We were in the front three rows all four times and other than one cannonball splash, which was not soaking, we barely felt more than a few drops.

I had read about the issues before we went and was expecting to get soaked. I don't doubt it's happening, but we got lucky.

OP here.
just wanted to let everyone know that today i sent an email expressing my concern about the issues and that i'd like a response back as to what is being done to fix the issues.
i am confident that i will hear back. i'm just not confident that anything will be solved any time soon.

We just got back from WDW on Saturday. We rode Pirates probably 4-5 times during the length of our trip. I don't mind getting wet at all but the very last time we rode my feet were soaked. It was very busy so the boat was full of people and I don't know if the water already in the bottom of the boat made us sit lower in the water or something. I had never experienced it before but the water was right at the edge of the boat and it looked like it was going to spill over into the boat. It kind of freaked me out for a second. Later when we were at a slight incline preparing to unload, the water that was already in the boat rushed to the back of the boat and soaked our shoes again. It certainly made for an interesting ride. We experienced more water on Pirates than Splash Mountain on this trip! lol

We had no water in our boat 2 weeks ago, but don't doubt the opposite experience of some other posters on this thread. Weird!

We've been on twice in the last week and never got wet but there was water on the floor. But we also rode many times earlier this year pre-refurb and never got wet. Seems to still be an intermittent problem and we've just been lucky!

We rode 2x last week and refused to ride in the front row. The first time the boat was dry, the second time there was standing water in the boat and our shoes got soaked. Both times the boats were pretty full of people so we're not sure what the problem is.

Have you ridden POTC recently?

Yes. Last time I rode it was about a month ago. Only have been able to get on one time since its been out of refurb. Rode 5+ times in the months leading up to it.

The different boats have definitely created more of a water "problem", but I have yet to see anybody come off soaked like some have mentioned.

Yes. Last time I rode it was about a month ago. Only have been able to get on one time since its been out of refurb. Rode 5+ times in the months leading up to it.

The different boats have definitely created more of a water "problem", but I have yet to see anybody come off soaked like some have mentioned.
Just because you haven't seen it happen, doesn't make others "foolish" for choosing not to take the risk if they know they do not want to get wet at all. There are enough reports of it happening here that it is not some isolated once in 1000s kind of event.

I am also considering being foolish next week as well. I will wait and see how cold it is before I get on POTC. I have absolutely no desire to prance around the MK after dark soaking wet if the temps drop. I actually do not want to get soaked at all.

But would you prance around if you were warm and dry? o_O

LOL! With Bells on I would prance! LOL! Not really, this old girl is lucky to walk! LOL!

As soon as I read your post, Nancyg56, this is all I could think about. It's totally your fault that I cannot get this out of my head!

:rotfl2:

Last edited:
we were there the 1st week of November. on one of our rides we ended up in the front row - me, DH and DS5. Came down the hill and and DH on the right side received a brunt of the water - shorts were wet and legs. Then he was splashed by one of the cannons down the side of his shirt. My shoes and socks ended up wet.
The boat behind us had my mother, DD7 and DNiece 6 in the front row with DDad, DB, and DSIL in the 2nd row - my mom was drenched to the point where she was ringing out her dripping shorts. My niece had her pirate costume and clothes underneath along with underwear soaked too.
We laughed about it and still tease my mom about how her shorts looked walking around :)

Just because you haven't seen it happen, doesn't make others "foolish" for choosing not to take the risk if they know they do not want to get wet at all. There are enough reports of it happening here that it is not some isolated once in 1000s kind of event.

I'm not arguing that people don't get wet. I'm saying no one is getting Kali river wet. There's a big difference between the two.

I'm not arguing that people don't get wet. I'm saying no one is getting Kali river wet. There's a big difference between the two.
Again..just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I didn't get Kali wet, but I definitely got as wet as I've ever gotten on Splash mountain. This was dlr, not wdw, but people are reporting issues there too lately, as well as recent reports of new boats being added to their fleet. Neither of our boats were stuffed to the gills/overweighted, and I still got vwry wet. I'm not exaggerating that it took me 6 hrs to completely dry out. We rode at appx 5pm, and it was 11p before I was dry. I can completely see how people could easily get more wet than I did if they were in boats that were more weighted down than ours was, especially if they were sitting on the outside edge or in the first row.

::raises hand:: :rolleyes1

I've had the good fortune to be seated in the front row of Pirates on my last two Disney trips, to WDW in August and Disneyland in September. Took a bucket of water to the face on both rides, with the Disneyland one being only slightly wetter with an inch or two of water in the bottom of the boat when we boarded. It was just me and my husband in the front row, and neither of us would be eligible for The Biggest Loser, to use the same form of measurement as a previous poster. Not trying to be argumentative (or even really complaining, though it was a surprise), just saying—it does happen.

When the new boats were first used, there were regular instances of guests riding in the first two rows definitely getting Kali river wet. as far as I can see it is not happening as much, but that does not mean that it is no longer happening at all.

On my last visit I did notice that outside where one enters the line for the attraction, a "you may get wet" sign has been added.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter