Was your 4 year old scared?

When my son was 4, he wasn't scared of anything really at WDW--he loved Big Thunder, which my 7 year old cried afterwards. When my daughter was 3ish, she did have some fears and refused some things, but did fine at WDW at 4 1/2. I think its hard to predict--Disney is such a different atmosphere that a lot of those fears are not prevalent....my kids are so excited to go that they really only refuse what I think seems resaonably scary for their age (Splash mt, Big Thunder, etc.). Good luck!

One big difference between Disney and a trampoline park or Chuck E. Cheese: at Disney, you can stay close and hold your daughter's hand the entire time. You experience everything, and ride every ride TOGETHER (not to get corny, but this was Walt's original vision - parents and children having fun together!) At a trampoline gym or at Chuck E. Cheese, the child goes off to play on their "own" (with you watching close by, of course, but she's still out there solo). That can be very scary indeed!

My DS loves Disney and has always been a Disney commando, from an early age (we've taken him every year since he was 1)... but he never was one to go running off into a bouncy house or play gym on his own. He wouldn't get as upset as your little girl, but would still stay cautiously by our side. I'd do what other posters said and prepare her with video, and make sure the video shows parents walking hand-in-hand with their kids, families all together, and stress that part of it.

My 4 year old wasn't, she isn't that kind of kid. I would keep exposing her to busy, loud environments in small doses. Ride a bus, take a train, go to a fair, etc. barring a sensory disorder the more she does it the better she'll get at handling it

DD has always hated loud noises so we got her some Peltor earmuffs (they have kids ones). She was scared of vacuums, lawnmowers, sirens (ambulances, firetrucks) etc. The earmuffs (headphones) help so much! She is now ok with those noises, will only use her headphones for fireworks, hair dryers, and on planes. We live in the mountains and when we go down she wears them - must be the pressure. And she also wears them on the plane, not sure how they help with the pressure but they make her feel better so we go with it.

I wouldn't cancel the trip just yet but I do think you have to seriously prep your daughter. It sounds like she has some serious sensory issues and fears going on that definatley need to be addressed.1-Send for the Disney vacation DVD and watch it with her. Also purchase a Disney guide book. Spend time going over things that she will enjoy. Focus on those things and make a list. Anything that seems to put her off or seem scary to her make a list of those as well.
2- spend some time with your daughter "playing" Disney. Pretend you are there and "practice" being at parades, in line at rides, at resteraunts. You can't prepare for everything but making it fun at home may help.The same with the plane. Play plane ride and line up chairs and pretend to take off and land.This seems like a lot but she might feel more comfortable and your vacation go better.
3-get your daughter a "brave" object. A special shirt, socks,wrist band or other object that will have "magic powers" and help her be brave .She can take it with her and with reminders from you she is "super girl" and Is strong and brave.
Last I think that the key is to lower your expectations. If she won't do something at Disney find what she will do and have a great time. Remind yourself to see things through her eyes. You won't see and do everything there is to do at Disney anyway so what she is uncomfortable with this year might be a favorite in years to come.
I hope these tips along with the others help your family.

There are some good tips here, I just have a few to add.

We've been taking my daughter traveling and to various amusement parks since she was little and she has slowly gotten more and more brave so I would definitely suggest that exposure in small doses with respect of her fears but a little gentle push now and then might help.

My daughter also has a thing with noises, all the ones mentioned but also won't come in the bathroom while the tub is filling up because that sound is even too loud! I don't have a great solution for that one- though those headphone/ear muffs sound interesting- but I would suggest no Mickey's Philharmagic. The sound in there was LOUD even to me, plus you add in the surprise 4D effects like air and water sprays, that was not a good idea for my daughter!

She does much better when she knows exactly what to expect ahead of time and so I spend a lot of time discussing how various things work before we bring her. We've watched a bunch of you tube videos and I agree those help a lot. We also try to make whatever she is scared of fun so we talked about firemen and policemen helping people and now whenever we hear a siren we encourage her to run to the window to wave to them. We just really talk up the fun and exciting part of flying and she has embraced that too.

As for the fear of the dark... I bought a small stuffed animal/night light for dark rides and that helped a lot when she was nervous. Its called a Dream Lite and they have big ones but the one we bought is about 2x3 inches and gave off enough light through the stars on its back to make her feel better without interupting the ride for others. Its also a cuddly and I think that helped more than just a light toy.

All in all my daughter hasn't stopped talking about Disney since we left last year. If you go in prepared I think you'll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter