• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Was I wrong to respond to rudeness with more rudeness?

There's a difference between the person "on the clock" trying to make the effort and making a spinning motion with his fingers. If you're calling people at the top of your lungs or can't get out the "what can I get for you today?" that's one thing, you're doing your job. If someone comes to your register and you don't do anything but spin your fingers? What does that mean? Did you forget how to talk? You're not doing the assigned task of asking a simple question and fulfilling the order.
You're right, I see your point. There is no reason for him to be sarcastic about it. Sometimes customers overreact, though. It was a right of passage for us all to be threatened to be beat up at some point. You're not truly a theater employee until a grown man is in your face threatening to punch you! OP is not nearly as bad, just trying to say that people are more inclined to actually take advice to heart if you say it nicely.

When I first started working at the theater, I once slid the change to a customer on the counter. He looked at my name tag said genuinely and with a smile "Don't worry about it Kristen, but next time, please consider actually handing over the money, it comes across as more polite" Never slid money to something ever again. That's the way to do it!!

You're right, I see your point. There is no reason for him to be sarcastic about it. Sometimes customers overreact, though. It was a right of passage for us all to be threatened to be beat up at some point. You're not truly a theater employee until a grown man is in your face threatening to punch you! OP is not nearly as bad, just trying to say that people are more inclined to actually take advice to heart if you say it nicely.

When I first started working at the theater, I once slid the change to a customer on the counter. He looked at my name tag said genuinely and with a smile "Don't worry about it Kristen, but next time, please consider actually handing over the money, it comes across as more polite" Never slid money to something ever again. That's the way to do it!!

Yeah, ok, so when your boss comes up to you and plainly says in a stern tone, fix it or you're fired... I think you're more inclined to take that as a sign. That's not him being nice... That's him threatening you with your job. It gets the point across or you get fired.

As for the 2nd part of your post, how does that customer know you don't have certain issues? There's a lot of people that don't like contact with others they don't know. So sliding the money across the counter may seem rude to a customer, but it's a safety precaution to others. There are people who have severe allergies to peanuts and such, but are working in jobs like theaters because the economy still isn't great and that's what they could get. Well, if the cashier sees a person chowing down on peanuts in the line and they have a contact allergy that could cause them to go into anaphylactic shock, handling that money and possibly the touching of hands is extremely dangerous.

Hmm, well while it probably wasn't something I would have done myself, I could easily see my husband doing it. That said, I am a job coach and I would have expected him to greet me, just like you. It is also what I would teach my students to do in that situation. I think it was probably a good learning lesson for him.

I agree with you OP.

I dont go all rogue on rude people every time, but when I do,lol.

And I dont care if someone is working at McDonald's, at least attempt to provide good customer service, if not, then get a job that requires zero interaction with the public.

Yeah, ok, so when your boss comes up to you and plainly says in a stern tone, fix it or you're fired... I think you're more inclined to take that as a sign. That's not him being nice... That's him threatening you with your job. It gets the point across or you get fired.

As for the 2nd part of your post, how does that customer know you don't have certain issues? There's a lot of people that don't like contact with others they don't know. So sliding the money across the counter may seem rude to a customer, but it's a safety precaution to others. There are people who have severe allergies to peanuts and such, but are working in jobs like theaters because the economy still isn't great and that's what they could get. Well, if the cashier sees a person chowing down on peanuts in the line and they have a contact allergy that could cause them to go into anaphylactic shock, handling that money and possibly the touching of hands is extremely dangerous.
My boss is my boss and a customer is a customer. Only one of them is in charge of my paychecks ;) I was never talked to like that by a boss in my life lol.

I didn't mind too much. I never actually touch the customer's hands, I just hand them the money. Most cashiers do that. On the rare times I would accidentally bump hands, we had sanitizer at our counters. I followed standard precautions.

When I first read original post my thought was:

e31.jpg

Though I do understand there is a sometimes definite lack of professionalism in the customer service areas these days. I might have also said something but friendlier.

My boss is my boss and a customer is a customer. Only one of them is in charge of my paychecks ;) I was never talked to like that by a boss in my life lol.

You have much to learn in the ways of business.

In business, there is always a customer. Even inside the job, you are a customer to your boss. Your management has to take care of their customers (employees) who interact with outside public customers. The bosses have to have a broader scope and keep ALL of those customers in perspective. To say that only one is in charge of your paycheck? I'll disagree. If a public customer doesn't approve of your conduct and informs the person who is in charge of your paycheck, that public customer DOES have a say in whether or not you continue to get one by conversation they have with your boss.

Perhaps part of the decline in customer service is because so many people just accept rudeness from front line employees because it is just too much bother. I absolutely hate walking up to a counter and never even being acknowledged by the cashier. Guess what, I know exactly what that cashier feels like - I work at a license plate agency and collect taxes and fines all day. I have been cussed because the customer did not like the amount the state charged, I have been yelled at because the state enforced a law that has been in effect for several years, I have had to take time to explain how the system works because a change was made. I still make an effort to greet every single one of my customers. They are not the one that treated me badly and they deserve the same treatment as the person before the one that acted out. I am being paid (and not a whole lot - this is not a government job since I work for a contractor) to provide customer service and if I don't do that I am not fulfilling my job expectations. The customer is paying me and they should not "give" me anything.

In business, there is always a customer. Even inside the job, you are a customer to your boss. Your management has to take care of their customers (employees) who interact with outside public customers. The bosses have to have a broader scope and keep ALL of those customers in perspective. To say that only one is in charge of your paycheck? I'll disagree. If a public customer doesn't approve of your conduct and informs the person who is in charge of your paycheck, that public customer DOES have a say in whether or not you continue to get one by conversation they have with your boss.
That's funny you're mentioning it. For the last year of my employment, I worked in the customer service kiosk. I was in charge of handling disgruntled guests lol. It's not really a big deal. I hate to break the news to everyone, but behind closed doors, the managers almost always side with the employees. I always get a crack out of people honestly and truly believing that we're punished over simple mishaps, such as making a sarcastic gesture. Whatever keeps you all going, I suppose lol.

Again, I state: He was wrong to be rude to you. But you are all living in a fantasy world if you think he would actually be punished for that. In a movie theater. In disney, maybe? Not a movie theater.

While some of what you say is true. I have to disagree with your previous post that it's acceptable for a boss to say "do x,y,z or your fired". That's a horrible way to deal with on the job issues and creates and team motivated by fear which is awful for productivity. The people who lead that way are terrible bosses IMO.

I've had to have performance issue conversations with people, I've had to let people go, I've had to fire people, I've had to assess people and so on and so forth and never would I use threats or ultimatums as a way to discuss issues with my team. Nor would one piece of feedback from a single customer likely cause a change in employment status.

That's funny you're mentioning it. For the last year of my employment, I worked in the customer service kiosk. I was in charge of handling disgruntled guests lol. It's not really a big deal. I hate to break the news to everyone, but behind closed doors, the managers almost always side with the employees. I always get a crack out of people honestly and truly believing that we're punished over simple mishaps, such as making a sarcastic gesture. Whatever keeps you all going, I suppose lol.

Depending on the person who lodges the complaint, a sarcastic gesture can lead to great pressure on managers. It's all based on who does or doesn't do what to whom.

While some of what you say is true. I have to disagree with your previous post that it's acceptable for a boss to say "do x,y,z or your fired". That's a horrible way to deal with on the job issues and creates and team motivated by fear which is awful for productivity. The people who lead that way are terrible bosses IMO.

I've had to have performance issue conversations with people, I've had to let people go, I've had to fire people, I've had to assess people and so on and so forth and never would I use threats or ultimatums as a way to discuss issues with my team. Nor would one piece of feedback from a single customer likely cause a change in employment status.

It may be a horrible way to do it, but it exists. I love that everyone thinks this world has to be so PC that everyone has to be "nice". When Frank Sinatra worked with his band, if a certain member of the band was out of line or couldn't do what was asked, they were fired on the spot. Guess what? He kept a band going, they didn't all just up and leave.

If the single piece of feedback warrants enough, you're fired. There are zero tolerance policies. Policies which say that if you don't do this, or if you do this... you're fired, no questions, no re-training, no assessments, you're fired.

Again, I state: He was wrong to be rude to you. But you are all living in a fantasy world if you think he would actually be punished for that. In a movie theater. In disney, maybe? Not a movie theater.

I don't know where you worked in the customer service kiosk, but the times I have worked customer service, no one complaint would not get a person fired, but while one occurrence may not even warrant a talking to, multiple complaints from one or more customers could result in reprimands up to and including termination. A good manager will take both the customers complaint and their own knowledge of the employee and make a real decision, not always or mostly side with either the customer or the employee.

How are people supposed to know they're not performing to standards if they aren't called out on it? If this is the case where you work, sign me up.. .I'm coming in, bringing a gaming system and maybe I'll get around to doing some work... I mean, I won't get in trouble right? No one's gonna say anything, so how could I be in the wrong?

I would notify a manager and not direct my annoyance to the customer service person. That's just the way I am. I said that I don't think he was wrong, but it's not something I would have done.

Ugh! This story makes me mad just reading it!

No. That was not okay for the employee to do that. Totally disrespectful and rude. The only difference is, I would have went up to the manager and told him what kind of customer service this "kid" was providing...

I would notify a manager and not direct my annoyance to the customer service person. That's just the way I am. I said that I don't think he was wrong, but it's not something I would have done.

No two people will agree on a solution to the issue. Some will do nothing, others will respond to the CS person (in various ways), others contact management, some could give bad reviews online, some could call corporate...

I've sided with the OP that I don't think he was wrong, but how we would've handled it beyond that is all a matter of personal opinion.

I don't know where you worked in the customer service kiosk, but the times I have worked customer service, no one complaint would not get a person fired, but while one occurrence may not even warrant a talking to, multiple complaints from one or more customers could result in reprimands up to and including termination. A good manager will take both the customers complaint and their own knowledge of the employee and make a real decision, not always or mostly side with either the customer or the employee.
No need to take everything as black and white. Of course, someone who is rude consistently will most likely face termination. However, I don't recall speaking about THAT situation. I am only referring to when someone has one isolated incident. Lol. Btw, I stated earlier that I worked CS in a movie theater.

This is how it usually goes in those isolated incidents:
Customer: (insert name) in concession was very rude to me, etc.
Manager: I'm so sorry to hear that. We have never had a problem with (insert name) before. We will definitely be speaking with him. Again, I am sorry about that.
Customer: That's it? He deserves to be fired and punished, I pay money to be in here etc etc I need to be reimbursed etc etc

I've never seen more than a verbal warning for these isolated incidents. That is all that needs to be done. I've never dealt with a situation where someone received multiple complaints. It was such a horrible place to work, that most people quit before they'd even have time to get another complaint ;) Jk. Kinda.

This is how it usually goes in those isolated incidents:
Customer: (insert name) in concession was very rude to me, etc.
Manager: I'm so sorry to hear that. We have never had a problem with (insert name) before. We will definitely be speaking with him. Again, I am sorry about that.
Customer: That's it? He deserves to be fired and punished, I pay money to be in here etc etc I need to be reimbursed etc etc

I deal with that customer every day. I see that customer in restaurants at least once a week. Many times they are just trying to get something for free or they are trying to bully you into breaking a rule - you still have to deal with it nicely even if you don't give in. You also say is was a horrible place to work in the second statement. Perhaps is was a horrible place to work because management did not understand customer service both inside (dealing with other employees) and out (actually dealing with customers). When you have a tax collection office that has people coming in just to say hi or driving over an hour to use your office, you are doing something right. Do personal problems sometimes come out? Of course. Do previous customers affect how the next customer is treated? Absolutely. The difference is, if no one tells this kid that making a gesture is not proper acknowledgment of the customer, how is he supposed to get better?
I see complaints everywhere about how much worse customer service is today. Maybe, just maybe, it is because we just let is go instead of saying something.
Nothing personal to you just using your post as a starting point.

I deal with that customer every day. I see that customer in restaurants at least once a week. Many times they are just trying to get something for free or they are trying to bully you into breaking a rule - you still have to deal with it nicely even if you don't give in. You also say is was a horrible place to work in the second statement. Perhaps is was a horrible place to work because management did not understand customer service both inside (dealing with other employees) and out (actually dealing with customers). When you have a tax collection office that has people coming in just to say hi or driving over an hour to use your office, you are doing something right. Do personal problems sometimes come out? Of course. Do previous customers affect how the next customer is treated? Absolutely. The difference is, if no one tells this kid that making a gesture is not proper acknowledgment of the customer, how is he supposed to get better?
I see complaints everywhere about how much worse customer service is today. Maybe, just maybe, it is because we just let is go instead of saying something.
Nothing personal to you just using your post as a starting point.
I understand where you are coming from. On the first page, I stated that it was right for him to correct the kid, but I think he was a bit too forceful. You don't have to scare someone into acting right lol. Try being nicer first. If it doesn't work, then you will have to buckle down. OP never met this kid before, never spoke to him about this situation before. He did not have to come off so strong right out of the gate. That's the only point I was trying to make in my previous post.

It was a horrible place to work for many reasons, but I've never had an experience when I was rude to a customer sooo... :rolleyes1 I quit because I got a very good job at my University, one of the best nursing clinical simulation labs in the country. I usually stick up for the workers, but some people do need to learn to bite their tongues and move when customers are trying them. The secret to good customer service. I agree with you there, friend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter