WARNING: Disney Vacation Account took money without permission

Friday afternoon... website still down. Did you all notice this on the 'Down for Maintenance' error page? "... your Disney vacation is within easy reach... really?"

About Disney Vacation Account
With Disney Vacation Account, your Disney vacation is within easy reach. Our automatic vacation savings plan lets you save for your vacation on your own schedule.

Still waiting for the charge reversal ... guess that's going to be verrrrry slow as well.

So I have decided after booking my package this coming monday I am stopping my DVA and paying on my trip directly with disney website.....I will use everything in my account as the downpayment on my trip. I don't need $20 gift cards that bad to go through this crap again.....I got my money back but this is more aggravation than it's worth and the website is STILL NOT WORKING....grrrrrrrr

It appears to be up and working now. I was able to request the stop of the automatic payments. It went thru first request without any issues.

I just logged in and site was up, today was supposed to be my contribution but it had been taken prior so no other contribution posted. Hopefully they've removed all "glitches" and it will be back to normal.

I cannot get in I get this message:
  • For your security, you have been automatically logged out of your Disney Vacation Account.
anyone else getting this message?

Oh man. This thread makes me so glad that I've never set up any Automatic payments with my DVA... I always go in and do "One-Time Contribution" myself when I want to put money into it, and that's probably what's saved me from experiencing this same hassle so many of you are. Mine is connected to my Checking account, and if I had been a part of this glitch, it would have created a LOT of problems for me. I've personally had nothing but a good experience with DVA, including when speaking to reps regarding it. I truly do hope that situation gets quickly resolved for all of you who were affected! :grouphug:

The DVA website was up this morning, (Sat, June20). The June 16 unauthorized charge has been refunded to my credit card.

I went ahead and requested they close the account and give me a full refund of my balance. The program and website are unreliable and more trouble than it's worth to me.

I think Disney needs to rethink IT, including the recent letting go of their employees and outsourcing new IT replacements. That episode was covered in the NYTimes, which I understand Disney has not denied. I think Disney needs to allocate the resources to do the right thing by their IT employees and Disney guests! We depend on a pleasurable and secure experience when we're vacationing with Disney, and when we're transacting online with them.

Just my opinion - I suppose these are business decisions...

I received a call yesterday from a Disney rep yesterday apologizing letting me know about the unauthorized withdrawal. I told her I already knew because Amex had notified me when it occurred. The call was disconnected and she never called back but I do want to complain to Disney. Not sure who to complain to though.

Basically everything worked out in the end but it took the better part of my day. DVA took funds out of my Amex account when I was no longer set up for auto withdrawal. The funds were replaced to my Amex account but then they froze the funds in my DVA, thus making it impossible to access the funds to purchase annual passes. If it weren't for someone posting on this website about a temporary window where their website was operational I would not have been able to fix the issue. It just doesn't sit well with me that the only way I eventually was able to access my own funds was due to some post on forum. Banking should be a little more sound than that. Having my personal cash funds frozen by a bank is a first for me. Perhaps I can get a fast pass out of the error.

And btw their website is not allowing access to my account as of just now so I'm grateful for posts on this forum notifying me of glitches on DVA website that allowed temporary access.

Last edited:
My bank account was refunded this morning on both DVA's I have (very small amounts relative to what I've heard others have). It was frustrating due to the lack of communication from Disney. I was able to get through to a CM on Thursday..........she was nice but didn't know anything (so she said).

I work in IT and I'm stunned that a company as large as Disney has as many problems with their systems. I've read the Orlando Sentinel article which discussed an upgrade being the cause of the problem. Now that type of thing can happen but to take 5 days to resolve...........that's stunning. No recovery plan............No communication for 5 days. In my company people lose their jobs over stuff like that.

I really like the concept of the DVA. I have 2 accounts that are helping me save for park tickets for our Jan 2016 and for an AP purchase later in Dec 2016. Prior to this incident I had no issues with the DVA. I haven't cancelled at this time. Again I work in IT (I test software - Disney call me, you obviously need to upgrade QA 8-) ) the DVA makes my saving for WDW trips easier. So I'll stay put...............but if there's another issue.............that'll be it.

So Disney IT don't let me down! :D

Doug :goofy:

So the site was up this morning, I logged in and tried to deposit a gift card. I got an error message, the card was drained and nothing posted to the account. :badpc: I sent and email then had to leave for a party. Just got home and am unable to log in, never got an email confirming the deposit, so it looks like I'm going to be stuck on the phone with them. Only this is a surprise trip and I cannot call right now with children in the house.:furious:

That episode was covered in the NYTimes

"covered" closing in on a year after the people were given notice. In a copy/paste article from all the other "articles" in all the other online papers for the months and months since it happened...

And nothing in the articles ever said that the people who mainly were hired in other areas of Disney were IT. Because IT isn't in Orlando, and that's where the people (who were mainly hired in other areas of Disney) were.

I'm truly starting to think I'm the only one who read the actual article instead of all the fluff the article wanted to talk about....

About 2 weeks ago, I was entering several $50 gcs in my DVA and 2 them did not get posted but were drained of their balance.
Same thing happened to me. I called them and they fixed it, thank goodness but I have gc's coming from the bonus's and can't check on those. I am really glad I never authorized a Credit or bank card just added gift cards all along since being a member last year.

Disney called and apologized for the issue and stated they would cover fees if I was assessed any. So overal they seem to be on top of the damage control part of it. Site still down.

My refund posted Friday night, just noticed new charge today. I thought the apology email Disney sent stated they were not going to charge any additional:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter