• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Am hoping for some advice from some experienced Swan/Dolphin people! I'm thinking of taking a 5-6 day Disney trip in late October by myself with my two girls (ages 5.5 and nearly 8 at time of trip.) We went about 18 months ago with a group 10, extended family and stayed club level at the Polynesian. We had a fantastic time and I'm dying to take them back. I have a ton of Starwood points so I'm thinking to save some $ I would use them to stay at the Swan instead of a Disney resort. My few questions...

1) If I want to use my starwood points, do I book on the westin website or do I book with disney somehow to make sure the reservation is linked up on the disney website for booking fastpasses, using our magic bands and dining reservations?

2) How do you think the two resorts compare in terms of the convenience factor? Obviously having the monorail to MK was great and so easy (but honestly, not sure its worth the 4K-5K it would cost me to stay there again considering I have an essentially free option! I think we would spend most of our time at MK, plus a day at HS and maybe a morning at Epcot - its during F&W and I want to avoid the crowds. I'll be doing this trip on my own with the two kids so I want to make sure I'm not planning more than I can handle!!

3) Are there quick and easy breakfast option at Swan?

4) If we fly into Orlando, what do you recommend for transport to the Swan? I'm not really interested in renting a car since parking is so expensive there and I won't really be using it...

Thanks!

I use spg.com to book the Swan & Dolphin on points. Rooms are 10,000 points per night, but if you book 5 consecutive nights, it costs only 40,000 points (8,000/night!) :thumbsup2 I also check the swandolphin.com website and look at the "Special Offers" - but you can't beat staying on points!! :woohoo:

The convenience of Swan/Dolphin to Epcot and Studios will totally spoil you! For MK, probably easiest to take the bus -- but if you're in Epcot, go out the front entrance and take the monorail. AK and DTD (are we calling it Disney Springs yet?!) by bus. Swan & Dolphin share the bus with Boardwalk.

There are quick service places to grab a muffin, danish, bagel, etc. for breakfast at both resorts. Picabu, the 24 hour quick service at Dolphin, also has quick breakfasts!

The least expensive transportation to Swan/Dolphin would be by Mears shared-ride (van), but travelling with kids I would opt for a private car. You can actually arrange that through the Swan/Dolphin. I know others here have used private companies and can make recommendations. I'm not familiar with them or the cost.

I hope you do book this magical trip for yourself and your girls! Please let us know how the planning goes! :goodvibes

Am hoping for some advice from some experienced Swan/Dolphin people! I'm thinking of taking a 5-6 day Disney trip in late October by myself with my two girls (ages 5.5 and nearly 8 at time of trip.) We went about 18 months ago with a group 10, extended family and stayed club level at the Polynesian. We had a fantastic time and I'm dying to take them back. I have a ton of Starwood points so I'm thinking to save some $ I would use them to stay at the Swan instead of a Disney resort. My few questions...

1) If I want to use my starwood points, do I book on the westin website or do I book with disney somehow to make sure the reservation is linked up on the disney website for booking fastpasses, using our magic bands and dining reservations?

2) How do you think the two resorts compare in terms of the convenience factor? Obviously having the monorail to MK was great and so easy (but honestly, not sure its worth the 4K-5K it would cost me to stay there again considering I have an essentially free option! I think we would spend most of our time at MK, plus a day at HS and maybe a morning at Epcot - its during F&W and I want to avoid the crowds. I'll be doing this trip on my own with the two kids so I want to make sure I'm not planning more than I can handle!!

3) Are there quick and easy breakfast option at Swan?

4) If we fly into Orlando, what do you recommend for transport to the Swan? I'm not really interested in renting a car since parking is so expensive there and I won't really be using it...

Thanks!
To add to what the pp said, you will then take the confirmation # you get from booking with spa.com and go to MDE and click on add a reservation, enter your confirmation # and voila... You have now linked your swan stay to MDE so you can book your fp+ at 60 days out... Bring your poly magic bands with you for ticket and FP access, or just use the rfid ticket you'll get.

For those who stay on points - can you book a room for 5 at the Dolphin using SPG points? I'm trying to book it online and it keeps erroring. We will be 3 adults and 2 children. When I select 3 adults/2 children and standard rate, it goes through. When I try to select SPG free night, it errors. When I change it to 2 adults/2 children and select SPG free night, it goes through...

Thanks so much for your replies. I understand how it all works now! Pretty sure I am going to do this trip and stay at the Swan. So my next question...if I book on points does that impact whether I will get an updated room? Or maybe they will all be done by October anyway? I'm also lifetime gold...does that ever result in pixiedust:upgrades??
Thanks!

For those who stay on points - can you book a room for 5 at the Dolphin using SPG points? I'm trying to book it online and it keeps erroring. We will be 3 adults and 2 children. When I select 3 adults/2 children and standard rate, it goes through. When I try to select SPG free night, it errors. When I change it to 2 adults/2 children and select SPG free night, it goes through...

Answering my own question for those who may need to know in the future - I was able to book the Dolphin for 3 adults/2 children on points but I had to call to do it. I could have booked a standard room at the standard award 10K/night but ended up booking a deluxe for 1K more per night. Ended up using 44K points for 5 nights with the book 5 get 1 free redemption option. $25/night for the rollaway.

Answering my own question for those who may need to know in the future - I was able to book the Dolphin for 3 adults/2 children on points but I had to call to do it. I could have booked a standard room at the standard award 10K/night but ended up booking a deluxe for 1K more per night. Ended up using 44K points for 5 nights with the book 5 get 1 free redemption option. $25/night for the rollaway.

How is a deluxe room different than standard?

Same size room (unfortunately) but higher floor, balcony and better view. It is "resort room" on the SPG website I believe but the CSR referred to it as deluxe.

Did they have any Starwood redemption options for a renovated room at the Swan?

I was booking for 5 so nothing came up at the Swan. Are they going to accommodate parties of 5 there after the reno? I would think that would mean changing from Q's to Dbl's...

Are all the rooms at the Swan going to be renovated? Or are they only renovating some of the rooms and then going to have 2 room types? I just booked my room on points and the standard room was the only option if I wanted to use points, but it seems odd that they wouldn't renovate all the rooms?? There were traditional rooms, resort rooms and deluxe rooms listed so it was a bit confusing! Obviously, I would like to get a newly renovated one!

Also, anyone ever get upgraded based on SPG status?

Thanks! Just booked and already very excited!

Are all the rooms at the Swan going to be renovated? Or are they only renovating some of the rooms and then going to have 2 room types? I just booked my room on points and the standard room was the only option if I wanted to use points, but it seems odd that they wouldn't renovate all the rooms?? There were traditional rooms, resort rooms and deluxe rooms listed so it was a bit confusing! Obviously, I would like to get a newly renovated one!

All the rooms ( or nearly all) at the Swan are renovated by now, I believe. The Dolphin rooms are due to be commencing renovations sometime soon (September or October, perhaps?).

Traditional rooms do not have a balcony or nice view. Resort rooms have somewhat nicer views of the Swan/Dolphin property. Deluxe rooms, I believe, was a temporary category that essentially included getting a newly renovated room. Rooms with a balcony specify balcony in the room description.
The Dolphin will also list 'Epcot Rooms'. These will have a view of the high Illuminations fireworks, but they are a hike along some long convoluted hallways to get to your room.
FOR EXAMPLE:
Resort rooms at the Swan will have rooms without a balcony that overlook the walkway to the Dolphin or the pool or some similar nice view of the area. Other Resort rooms (more expensive) will be listed 'with balcony' in the description and could have the same or similar view but also have a balcony.

If you make a booking at the Swan, and want a newly renovated room book the 'deluxe' room category. If you want a balcony, look for it to be specified in the room description. If you are booking the Dolphin, request a renovated room if that is important to you. It is less likely that you will get a renovated room at the Dolphin, however, unless you are booking for a trip for later next year.

I haven't been upgraded based on SPG status, but my Mom was, so it does happen. Then again, the highest status that I have had was gold, so that could be the reason. If you are in a more elite category, you may have better luck.

Enjoy your trip!! The Swan/Dolphin are great options in the Epcot area! We stay there regularly!

My understanding is yes, all Swan rooms are going to be renovated.

However, as of our April stay, all were not yet. The traditional room (parking lot view, high floor) we had was not renovated at that time. We had a renovated room back in October I believe it was, so I know what to look for, and April's room definitely was the old style (it's quite a change from old to new).

Yes, we have been upgraded on a few visits. I am gold spg level. The upgrades seem to happen when it's lower occupancy, and always seem to be in place prior to check in (that is, pre-assigned from the back room). Oddly, the upgrades occur on the trips when we plan to spend the least amount of time in the room, but still it's nice when they happen.

Has anyone requested different bedding due to allergies that can tell me about their experience? I've always wanted to give the Swan or Dolphin a try, but I'm allergic to down in a big way, and the bedding worries me. There is no way I could sleep in a room with down bedding.

They do normally have a goose down comforter, and down pillows are available. I have not had personal experience, but am confident you could request those to be removed prior to your arrival.

Has anyone requested different bedding due to allergies that can tell me about their experience? I've always wanted to give the Swan or Dolphin a try, but I'm allergic to down in a big way, and the bedding worries me. There is no way I could sleep in a room with down bedding.
I used to work for Starwood hotels and I can assure you that you can have a feather allergy noted on your reservation and they will remove all feather products from the room before your arrival.

If you do not have it noted on your reservation housekeeping can still remove the feathered items but they will have to send someone up to do it and you could be in for a bit of a wait.

I was thinking that I would get a town car from the airport to Swan and then use Disney transportation during our vacation, but I'm debating whether I should rent a car. But I can't decide if its even worth it. We will probably do 3 days at MK, 1 at HS and 1 at EP. Day in the middle just to hang out at the resort and swim. Is it worth it to rent a car to go to MK to avoid any delays with the buses? Or will driving actually take longer because we have to park at the TTC and take the bus or monorail from there? I'm not planning to driving to other resorts for ADRs or anything else while we're there. Will try to take advantage of whats within walking/boating distance for dinners if we're not in the parks already.
Thanks!

Hi everyone. It looks like we are staying at the Dolphin again (3rd time, and once at Swan) beginning December 19. I can't figure out when I can book ADRs. I swear I have read the first post and used the search function. Can a kind soul help me out? Thank you!

Great rates at the Dolphin for Nov if you are a teacher or nurse! Only $180 per night!! and over Thanksgiving! Just booked a room for my DS and DIL!

All of November?????? I made my reservations in January,so last I checked(April,I think...)
nothing great. I better call to see if Nov 12 thru the 20th are included

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter