• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waldorf Schools:Anyone familiar ?

When you read about it from the school's perspective, a lot of it sounds lovely. But the reality can be quite different. While the pp warns about misinformation about waldorf on the net, there's a lot of misinformation or perhaps omission is a better word, presented by some Waldorf schools to prospective parents.

I'd do some reading at http://waldorfcritics.org/ I'd also research Anthroposophy, which is Rudolph Steiner's very peculiar philosophy behind Waldorf which can almost be a religion for some of these people. I would also do a lot of research about the teacher training in Waldorf as it is really pretty odd.

"Anthroposophy teaches that Negroes [sic] are at a baby stage of development, Asians are at an adolescent stage, and only whites are adults; it also teaches that while an individual's potential may be limited by his race, an individual's soul will reincarnate many times throughout the races.".

Google Waldorf Survivor groups, and see the problems many many many people have had with their children going to a Waldorf school.

They learn languages, music, choir, gardening, woodwork, and much more. I really hate when people who have no personal experience with Waldorf schools say they are not academic enough. They are, but in a different way..

I believe a Steiner (Waldorf) education is academic. It's the, um, extra stuff I'd advise parents to look into. If they feel it's a match for them and their children, then that's great.

Have you thought about Montessori at all? My daughter (3rd grade) is attending a Montessori school and doing very well!
The benefit of Montessori is that the kids go at their own pace and are encouraged to explore their own curiosity. My daughter loves math, and the Montessori program has allowed her to work on much more advanced problems than a 3rd grader in a conventional school would. We've also seen improvement in her behavior at home (she's always behaved at school) and in her confidence. (which was huge for me)

It's not for everyone though, and of course quality could vary from school to school.

In our community, the Montessori programs (6 or so of them) all really want kids to start early. My son was on 3 waiting lists when he was 3. When he got a spot, he was still using pull ups (see the note about poor gross motor planning-the include pulling up undergarments) so I the Montessori programs would not take him.
This made me nuts, as Maria Montessori originally designed the materials and idea for kids who, I am sure, were not the 1st ones potty trained.
So now, it is too late to start. He's over the hill in 2nd grade. I think it would have been great for him, but his body wasn't ready, and when we couldn't take the spot, he went to the bottom of the waiting list. #137. So I am a fan of what is supposed to be, but not what it is.

I have a teaching degree and work from home (writing curriculum for other people or going to homes of kids with disabilities to do early intervention work) so I thought about home schooling, but I kind of wish I could find something in between. My husband also pointed out that it is kind of better for me, and our family, if we swap it out-I teach someone else's kid & someone else teaches mine, so I can be mom, not mom/teacher. The truth is though, I wind up in the mix too often in stuff like religious ed where I become the co-teacher, or the assistant coach because a lot of people who want to volunteer have never learned about classroom management or learning styles. My husband pointed out that my income exceeds the cost of tuition, so wouldn't be saving much by NOT doing a private school.

At this point, I am open to thinking about it though. While I think of school time as 9-3, if we home schooled we really could work at a pace that met his body (taking a break in the middle of the day and coming back to it later) instead of whatever the heck we are doing now. I appreciate the tips.

It isn't a crisis, today, but when I talked to my kid about the latest bully issue and if he felt safer after the AP spoke to the kids and they apologized (cornered him, threatened to throw him down the stairs, another classmate saved him) he started to cry and said he is tired of being a weirdo, and wished he could just talk. He said he doesn't feel safe to share his ideas, and nobody cares.

I then explained a wonderful town called Austin, TX, where he may wish to move someday, and weird is cool there.

My husband and I are thinking a "gap year" may be in order for this stressed out dude.

I really appreciate all of these thoughtful responses. Even the ones that show a different POV. I was feeling really alone and "up to here" with this situation yesterday, and now I don't.

This! My dd's are in Montessori (4th and 1st grade) and we love it. I just had my older dd's parent-teacher conference yesterday and left just thrilled with her education. It was an hour-long conversation about how MY daughter learns and how the teacher specifically addresses her interests while still assuring she is meeting all of the required standards.

I'm also always impressed with the personal attention the teacher gives to the social community in her classroom. Almost all of the children in the class are working way ahead of their grade level and in multiage groupings. There are some required goals and some very open-ended goals (like "make a video about yellow fever") which give the children a lot of freedom in shaping their own educational experience.

Have you thought about Montessori at all? My daughter (3rd grade) is attending a Montessori school and doing very well!
The benefit of Montessori is that the kids go at their own pace and are encouraged to explore their own curiosity. My daughter loves math, and the Montessori program has allowed her to work on much more advanced problems than a 3rd grader in a conventional school would. We've also seen improvement in her behavior at home (she's always behaved at school) and in her confidence. (which was huge for me)

It's not for everyone though, and of course quality could vary from school to school.

This! My dd's are in Montessori (4th and 1st grade) and we love it. I just had my older dd's parent-teacher conference yesterday and left just thrilled with her education. It was an hour-long conversation about how MY daughter learns and how the teacher specifically addresses her interests while still assuring she is meeting all of the required standards.

I'm also always impressed with the personal attention the teacher gives to the social community in her classroom. Almost all of the children in the class are working way ahead of their grade level and in multiage groupings. There are some required goals and some very open-ended goals (like "make a video about yellow fever") which give the children a lot of freedom in shaping their own educational experience.

The multi-age idea is pretty attractive in an educational model.

I remember at 19 (college) being so shocked my brother, who was 22 had friends from work in their 40s, 50s.

We focus so much on what a 22 month old should do, and who is 20% behind. It seems like some older kids could learn more from younger peers than wallowing in a sense of failure (or arrogance) about where they are for their numerical grade. I'm feeling a little burnt out by it.

DS13 is in 8th grade at a Waldorf school. This is his first year---he spent k-most of 7 at a Catholic School, and the last part of 7th in public school. The school he goes to tries to make sure that the mind, body, and spirit are nurtured. There are little to no computers for the kids, though his teacher has one. I don't mind that--DS is competent with technology, and frankly, I think it's healthier to be unplugged.

So far, we love it. DS is a quirky kid, but he fits in at the Waldorf school in a way that he didn't in Catholic or public school. The school has a lot of emphasis on non-academics, but that is okay with me, since DS tends to test in the 98-99th percentile on academic type standardized testing (I was more concerned about finding a school he was comfortable and happy at.)

Things DS learns that are different from the regular middle school include knitting, German, lots of art (he hates that part), woodworking, lots of movement class (hiking in the woods behind the school) rather than competitive PE, etc. Lessons are taught in 4 week blocks or so, and he makes books with art and notes about what he's learning.

Overall, it was a good choice for us. Not sure what we'll do for high school but doing this for 8th grade gave DS some time to settle into a new place with kids who are more like him.

Please remember that individual schools within a "type" of school can be very different. For example, I send my DD to a Parochial school but it is very different compared to the other Parochial school's I have seen. I think it is just as important to get to know the specific school as it is the philosophy.

OP - if your son is getting straight 100's and not challenged; have they not thought about him skipping a grade? If his IQ is so high, I would urge you to look into gifted schools as well. He may feel like he fits in there as well.

Good luck.

Please remember that individual schools within a "type" of school can be very different. For example, I send my DD to a Parochial school but it is very different compared to the other Parochial school's I have seen. I think it is just as important to get to know the specific school as it is the philosophy.

OP - if your son is getting straight 100's and not challenged; have they not thought about him skipping a grade? If his IQ is so high, I would urge you to look into gifted schools as well. He may feel like he fits in there as well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the idea. We keep switching churches, too, in search of one with an emphasis on social justice vs. wardrobe. (JK) We found a good one this year and I'm pretty happy with their approach to service. The prayers are the same, but the community differs, if you know what I mean.

I'm hesitant to bump him up a grade (and nobody has offered that in the building) because it bothers him a lot that he has a very late birthday-a week before the cut off. So when school starts, he's not "the age" for the grade yet. He asked him to home school him until his birthday so he can start school when he is the same as everyone else. I wish that he were more comfortable in his own skin, but I worry that he won't see this as a perk.

I wonder if kids outgrow that? Thinking that at 5, 6, & 7 our # matters more than it does in later grades (until it is time to learn to drive).
I spoke to a graduate of this school system who is a really bright adult and a great parent & step parent. He urged me to push the school to have their own gifted resource teacher get to know him, before putting college funds into private school. He went that route with his own kid.
I'm also going to ask the private schools if we can talk with other families who attend. Struggling to find private schools like Montessori and E.R., that are not for pre-K. Lots of prep schools, not so many "hippy" schools. (Don't mean to reinforce a stereotype I am just looking for a peaceful setting for my kiddo.

Thanks again for the supportive suggestions all around.

[

DS13 is in 8th grade at a Waldorf school. This is his first year---he spent k-most of 7 at a Catholic School, and the last part of 7th in public school. The school he goes to tries to make sure that the mind, body, and spirit are nurtured. There are little to no computers for the kids, though his teacher has one. I don't mind that--DS is competent with technology, and frankly, I think it's healthier to be unplugged.

So far, we love it. DS is a quirky kid, but he fits in at the Waldorf school in a way that he didn't in Catholic or public school. The school has a lot of emphasis on non-academics, but that is okay with me, since DS tends to test in the 98-99th percentile on academic type standardized testing (I was more concerned about finding a school he was comfortable and happy at.)

Things DS learns that are different from the regular middle school include knitting, German, lots of art (he hates that part), woodworking, lots of movement class (hiking in the woods behind the school) rather than competitive PE, etc. Lessons are taught in 4 week blocks or so, and he makes books with art and notes about what he's learning.

Overall, it was a good choice for us. Not sure what we'll do for high school but doing this for 8th grade gave DS some time to settle into a new place with kids who are more like him.

Thanks for this. What you say about movement & woodworking might be a great fit for him. I'm glad you found a place that fits even if it just for now.

Thanks for the idea. We keep switching churches, too, in search of one with an emphasis on social justice vs. wardrobe. (JK) We found a good one this year and I'm pretty happy with their approach to service. The prayers are the same, but the community differs, if you know what I mean.

I'm hesitant to bump him up a grade (and nobody has offered that in the building) because it bothers him a lot that he has a very late birthday-a week before the cut off. So when school starts, he's not "the age" for the grade yet. He asked him to home school him until his birthday so he can start school when he is the same as everyone else. I wish that he were more comfortable in his own skin, but I worry that he won't see this as a perk.

I wonder if kids outgrow that? Thinking that at 5, 6, & 7 our # matters more than it does in later grades (until it is time to learn to drive).
I spoke to a graduate of this school system who is a really bright adult and a great parent & step parent. He urged me to push the school to have their own gifted resource teacher get to know him, before putting college funds into private school. He went that route with his own kid.
I'm also going to ask the private schools if we can talk with other families who attend. Struggling to find private schools like Montessori and E.R., that are not for pre-K. Lots of prep schools, not so many "hippy" schools. (Don't mean to reinforce a stereotype I am just looking for a peaceful setting for my kiddo.

Thanks again for the supportive suggestions all around.

You are very welcome. I think the suggestion your friend gave you is a great one as well. I know in my DD's school there are families who volunteer to speak to prospective parents. Keep in mind, they are usually the ones who love the school. Definitely take a tour. My DD's school does age groupings as well. 3rd grade is grouped with 4th grade for some things and even 5th grade sometimes. I really like that idea. For us, it was a small school setting that worked well. I know it's so tough when our kids seem to be hurting and we feel so helpless. My DD went through that for a brief time in 1st grade. She still sometimes doesn't feel like she fits in. We have spoken to child psychologists and behavioral/occupational therapist. They gave her some wonderful coping techniques that were extremely helpful. They also said that is her personality as well.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter