• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Renamed & Copper Creek Villas & Cabins confirmed

I have many photos affirming that Wilderness Lodge is a beautiful resort. This may come as a shock, but some of my iconic photos of Wilderness Lodge show boulders. Lots of boulders. And rocks, too.
Indeed the main lodge has lots of boulders around it as shown in your photos but if there are many boulders around VWL, they blend into the background and aren't something I associate with VWL. To me VWL was like a cabin in the woods, not a cabin on a boulder ridge. The name Boulder Ridge Villas is a better fit for VWL2 given the landscape around the main lodge.

On another thread Granny (apologies if it was someone else) suggested Timberline Lodge. I think that's a much better name, or at least it was before they cut down so many of the trees!

Indeed the main lodge has lots of boulders around it as shown in your photos but if there are many boulders around VWL, they blend into the background and aren't something I associate with VWL.

Maybe that is the key: They blend into the background. Who is to say the reimagined Wilderness Lodge won't have design features that will blend and work together in a harmonious manner?

I officially am voting with the "re-naming VWL to Boulder Creek to make it less desirable to re-sale buyers" camp. I HATE the new name. Ugh. Since this is a family forum I can't tell you what my first thought is when I think Boulder Creek... its not pleasant. I have and will continue to own at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, regardless of what Disney wants to rename it.

Jennifer

So, all of my points are at VWL. Will they have to change our deed to adjust for the new name?

On another thread Granny (apologies if it was someone else) suggested Timberline Lodge. I think that's a much better name, or at least it was before they cut down so many of the trees!

Timberline Lodge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge?

So, all of my points are at VWL. Will they have to change our deed to adjust for the new name?
No. The condo association will probably retain its original name of "The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge" so there will be no need to alter any deeds. If anything, Disney may file a declaration that the condo association is "Doing Business As" Boulder Ridge Villas.

Keep in mind that all of the Old Key West deeds are actually entitled "Disney Vacation Club at Walt Disney World Resort." There is nothing on the deeds showing the name of Old Key West.

Timberline Lodge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge?
Sorry, the suggestion was Timberline Villas not Timberline Lodge. I found the post: see post #6152 on this page:http://www.disboards.com/threads/vwl-groupies-lovers-thread-special-collectors’-edition.3242976/page-308

So VWL's new name would be "Timberline Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge" rather than "Boulder Ridge Villas ..."

ETA: Disney did change their minds about their original name for Bay Lake Tower so there's still hope they might abandon Boulder Ridge in favor of a name more in keeping with what VWL owners love about their resort.

As with most experiences in life, the more emotional attachment one has to a place, thing, or person, the more heartfelt the impact becomes when one of them changes. While some applaud the name changes, I am not one of them. I enjoyed the Villas the way they were, and I kept a stiff upper lip (though it did grumble a bit) when they took down trees, closed the nature trail, removed Hidden Springs pool, and covered up the beach (which is where I met my wife for the first time). When all the topiaries at WL disappeared over several months time, I didn't like it but hoped they'd come back (which they might yet). I even began to be a bit more optimistic when we stayed there in February as the construction noise was minimal and the Lodge still lovely. Yet, this simple name change adds yet another reason to rue the changes DVC is making. It is possibly the most "blah" name change they could have chosen. Okay, not quite. Lone Pine Villas, maybe (more appropriate, though). Sandy Trails Cabins and Other Rooms. Seriously, while the renaming to Boulder Ridge Villas o_O ranks low even on first-world problems, it's a stultifyingly dull name that evokes boredom. Hopefully, when all is said and done the Imagineers will find some imaginative way to make this all sound and look better.

P.S. I will now and in the future always call the current VWL, well, VWL. I might occasionally say "classic VWL" when attempting to distinguish it from the other ill-named addition to the Lodge, or "neo VWL."

Last edited:
Maybe that is the key: They blend into the background. Who is to say the reimagined Wilderness Lodge won't have design features that will blend and work together in a harmonious manner?

I appreciate your attempts to talk many of us "off the ledge". :)

We all agree that Disney will most likely do a good job with the final landscaping. But for those of us who liked the VWL that was nestled in the woods, it will probably never be that again.

VWL.jpg

Change is not bad in and of itself. The new lands at DHS and DAK, the overhaul of Disney Springs and other developments will undoubtedly make WDW a better place in the future. But changing the look and feel of a DVC resort to enhance the sales of another DVC resort...well, that's never been done before.

And while the end result may indeed be a beautiful WL campus, it will almost certainly lose some of what many of us have loved about VWL.

There was talk inside Disney about renaming SSR because it has the word springs in the title and guests were taking buses to SSR when they want to go to DS.

:earsboy: Bill
I was under the impression that they used the name Disney Springs to make a tie in with SSR in hopes it will draw more people-- I haven't considered staying there since PI closed, but now may with the new DS..... not because of the name, but just saying...

DVD doesn't have much of a reason to make boulders something special, once a resort is sold out, the developer/Disney doesn't spend money if they don't have to. The same holds true of the theming being played down at the older resorts, DVD puts the theming in the new resorts to attract direct buyers.

:earsboy: Bill

As with most experiences in life, the more emotional attachment one has to a place, thing, or person, the more heartfelt the impact becomes when one of them changes.

And this explains it all!! We too have that emotional attach and its very strong.

Many of you here are like my family, owners from the start. In 2001 we decided to take the plunge, called DVC, asked about BWV as we had no idea it was sold out, had no idea how this whole thing worked. Our DVC rep at that time was Bettie Pleasant and she was just that, very pleasant. She asked when our favorite time of the year to visit, told her Dec., and she said she had the perfect place, VWL. She explained the beauty of the Lodge, how wonderful it was near Christmas, and all I could relate was I had seen the roof from the Monorail. But we bought site unseen. And sure glad we did!!

We made many trips, refused to try anywhere else for several years. Made a great friend in Ranger Stan, which made the place all the more special, began to soak up all the ambiance in that could be soaked in. Bought candles that smelled like the place for home. Found every song possible that was played in the lobby, and shared with fellow VWL lovers. We have 2 of every coffee mug ever made I believe with a WL logo on it(and every AM I still drink out of em and the others are in our glass Disney case for safekeeping). We were totally immersed in all that we could be where the Lodge was concerned.

Fast forward to now...the changes are not making happy campers in our home. Some things dont need change. I say we all go to FL, tie ourselves to a tree and thus, protest! Wait, scratch that, there are no trees left close enough by to be effective. Any other ideas?:mad:

Are there recent posts with current pictures from VWL? Can't imagine it without the trees!

I wonder what the new pool area will look like. Most of the empty space shown in the above photo is for the new larger pool with a snack bar and bathrooms like they have at the Oasis pool at PVB. It looks like the area with the trees matches the areas reserved for trees. There will definitely be less trees since the area on the other side of the path (road) to Ft. Wilderness will be cabins.

Boulder%20Ridge%20area_zpsi52jajxu.jpg

"Cap'n, thar be boulders! Lots and lots of boulders! And ridges! Just like Ruffles does! Boulders as far as thine eye can see! We be having a 'rockin' good time now, Cap'n!"

I was surprised when I was on the monorail two weeks ago that the land along the canal across from the Contemporary is all cleared too.

I'm so so sad :sad2:
We had a short trip to the world last Jan and I couldn't bring myself to even
visit our Beloved lodge. I just didn't want those images in my head.
I couldn't even look when we rode by on the Monorail.
The woods, the tucked away pool, the retreat like feel is what we love about the lodge.
I don't think I'll be able to go back for a long while.:sad1::sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter