VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Worth noting....

MK has just changed Bag Security Screening. Locals ("Ferry") and buses to the RIGHT, monorail and RESORT BOATS to the LEFT.
A potential big mistake.....

As bag check is generally clogged by the Ferry? And shares with buses?
Consider going to the MK via the WL BOAT, NOT BUS.

I really expect this to change - I can not be the only one that caught on to it :).

Worth noting....

MK has just changed Bag Security Screening. Locals ("Ferry") and buses to the RIGHT, monorail and RESORT BOATS to the LEFT.

I really expect this to change - I can not be the only one that caught on to it :).
All of which is why we rarely take a bag when going to the parks.

Worth noting....

That's a strange change. Not sure how that could ever work out with the numbers. Even without the ferry, it seems that buses will be much greater than boats and the monorail. Makes no sense, and I agree that it won't last long.

Even without the numbers, it doesn't make sense. What are they possibly gaining with this change? Right now, you just go to the shortest line you can see. I don't get this. :confused3

That's a strange change. Not sure how that could ever work out with the numbers. Even without the ferry, it seems that buses will be much greater than boats and the monorail. Makes no sense, and I agree that it won't last long.

Even without the numbers, it doesn't make sense. What are they possibly gaining with this change? Right now, you just go to the shortest line you can see. I don't get this. :confused3

Exactly what I was thinking Granny! Perhaps just someone new in charge of managing that area and they had an "idea". First, they have to allow cross over at some point during the day because I can't imagine they want to staff both sides all the time. It's a bit of a chaotic area but if one clears faster than the other and people from the other side had to wait longer I can only imagine how ugly that would get. And there's no way that the two sides are going to be even all the time.

Exactly what I was thinking Granny! Perhaps just someone new in charge of managing that area and they had an "idea". First, they have to allow cross over at some point during the day because I can't imagine they want to staff both sides all the time. It's a bit of a chaotic area but if one clears faster than the other and people from the other side had to wait longer I can only imagine how ugly that would get. And there's no way that the two sides are going to be even all the time.

Totally agree Kathy! I can't see Disney doing anything to decrease efficiency unless there is some other factor at play (guest safety, profitability). I can't think of any reason that this makes sense. You'd think that if someone "had the idea" that others at the table would have pointed out the issues involved.

Now if they wanted to segregate the lines for on-site guests vs off-site guests and understaff the off-site side, at least I could understand that they were trying to create a benefit to staying on-site. I guess I shouldn't give them any "ideas". :smooth:

Totally agree Kathy! I can't see Disney doing anything to decrease efficiency unless there is some other factor at play (guest safety, profitability). I can't think of any reason that this makes sense. You'd think that if someone "had the idea" that others at the table would have pointed out the issues involved.

Now if they wanted to segregate the lines for on-site guests vs off-site guests and understaff the off-site side, at least I could understand that they were trying to create a benefit to staying on-site. I guess I shouldn't give them any "ideas". :smooth:
Perhaps there has been a security threat that is more likely to come from a bus or ferry than the resort boats or monorail? This wouldn't be disclosed as a reason to the public....

I'm more in the camp that they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. As a DL local, the bag check process at MK is SOOOO much better than at DL. Just stop it. This screams of leaders that are focusing on the wrong thing.

Bad week at work much? :)

Perhaps there has been a security threat that is more likely to come from a bus or ferry than the resort boats or monorail? This wouldn't be disclosed as a reason to the public....

The general admission public will come via express monorail or the ferry, so that splits the daily pass holder/local resident crowd up somewhat. Seems to me that most folks ride the monorail first until the line gets too long and then they realize the ferry is the better play. Buses and boats are for the resort guests primarily. Most onsite folks are coming to the MK via a bus, I would think anyway.

We were at the castle the week of Independence Day this year. At that time they were checking everyone. Usually DW goes thru the bag line, "shortest line available" as you point out Granny, and DD and I try to float past the security without getting flagged for the metal detectors. I have found a little knack of getting past them, it is not always successful but I generally don't get called over for "additional screening". However this summer (6/28 to 7/8) everyone was screened, no questions, no exceptions. There was no difference for bag check locations at that time. Perhaps it is as simple as the ferry docks on the east side, closer to the buses. The monorail exit ramp is on the west side and the boat docks are closer to the monorail.

In any case the security is ramped up. Last Christmas the metal detectors were just introduced and very few were getting checked. At Easter time, the parks were jammed with people, (worse crowd levels then December), and it was not too had to get past the x-rays. By the summer time, (crowds were much less than the usual summer time levels - which was nice), they had better handle on the whole scene. Much tighter security. Pretty efficient I must say, but also they were checking every bag and more x-ray screening.

At DL they have started putting everyone through the metal detectors now. It started during 4th of July. I haven't been often enough to say whether it's 100% of the time now, but the last few times I've been since the 4th, it's been everyone.

The funniest part is when my BF goes through. He sets off the alarm EVERY TIME (he has a prosthetic leg). He tells them why and they just waive him on. REALLY? LOL

Maybe I shouldn't announce that in a public forum. LOL

Hi Everyone - I am not sure why I am not a "member" here other than plain old silliness on my part! We are VWL owners and we have a few days booked at Christmas! CAN. NOT. WAIT!!!!! Obviously we love love love VWL! Happy Weekend everyone! :cool1:

Welcome gabriellyn. Looks like you are a member now!! Grab a moosie on page 1 for your signature and sit with us a while.

Sleepy will offer more info, I am sure.

Hi Everyone - I am not sure why I am not a "member" here other than plain old silliness on my part! We are VWL owners and we have a few days booked at Christmas! CAN. NOT. WAIT!!!!! Obviously we love love love VWL! Happy Weekend everyone! :cool1:

welcome3.gif Glad to see you come in and join us. Pull up a rocker and we are happy to discuss anything about our favorite place!

Good morning Groupies! We missed our May trip this year, so I'm beginning to get very excited for our September trip - but I don't like to rush summer. We began going at that time when our youngest went to college and it was a way for me to have something to look forward to! Fast forward 7 years later and it's still one of our favorite times to visit, as it extends the summer. As an added bonus this year, he and his gf will be joining us, cannot wait!! :yay:

I ran across this article on the changes to MK bag check and it wasn't exactly what I was thinking so thought I'd share. I still find it interesting that they somehow separate and wonder what they'd do if you saw the other side had a lull and you wanted to go over there? Anyhoo - what I didn't understand is that they've actually increased the number of checkers. With WDW seemingly cutting back in every possible area that didn't even cross my mind as being a possibility. :crazy:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...s-bag-check-capacity-at-the-main-entrance.htm

Of course I remember back to when this area was open - prior to the bag check process that we've all come to know and um, "love". :rolleyes1

Pictures are from WDWMagic.com

The bus and ferry side:

Magic-Kingdom_Full_28573.jpg

Magic-Kingdom_Full_28576.jpg

And the classic Bag Check area now for Monorail and resort boats:

Magic-Kingdom_Full_28575.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter