• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Glad to see that all the groupies seem to have fared well during the storm.

For NYC this was the 2nd largest snow accumulation on record 26.6". The largest was in 1869 26.9".
The only part of my car visible yesterday was the roof. It took us 3 - 4 hours to dig out, we had to dig out three cars and do our property and we don't own a snowblower.
What we do have however is a Norwegian snow shovel that Kaare's dad bought back from Norway about 25 or 30 years ago. It's fabulous - 95% of the work is done by your legs not your arms and back - Thank God.

This was reminiscent of my college days. I went to school in a small town 30 miles southwest of Syracuse. One of the years I was there that part of the state was getting record snowfalls - it was 1976-1977 - Watertown dairy farmers had to dump their milk because the trucks couldn't get through - it was bad, but not one day of class was cancelled. I lived on the 4th floor of the dorm and the snow and drifts were so high that kids were actually knocking on your door to jump out your window. It wasn't until the spring thaw and floods that we realized that there was a fire hydrant in the middle of that lawn. LOL.

Sorry, I am a little late too the party but...

Happy Birthday twokats!!!!
Happy Birthday Claire_ont!!!!

I'm a little late, too...

Happy Birthday twokats!

Happy Birthday Claire-ont!

For those that have been in the wrath of the storm, I hope today brings a little normalcy back to your life. We were unaffected in our little corner of NE Ohio. Our son in Northern Virginia, on the other hand, had quite the blizzard.

Prayers for your dad Corinne. Please let us know how he's doing. These can be trying times as we care for our elderly parents.

Loved seeing your Lodge pictures, Eliza! DDaughter and I are taking my mom (85) to Kidani soon. I'll miss the Lodge....

Birthday wishes to twokats and and Claire-ont! Better late than never, right?

We're on day three of being out of school (though as a 12-month staff employee, I have to come in anyway), but mostly because the buses can't get onto certain streets yet, and heaven forbid kids have to walk a block to get to a bus. Might get a slight bit of freezing precip overnight tomorrow which would throw this area into a panic, but wer're expecting low 50s this weekend.

Circhead, my wife moved here from Syracuse several years ago, so she just scoffs at people down here. Of course, we only have maybe three snow trucks for the whole town. Conversely, when the temps hit 85, she starts moaning about how hot and humid it is which is de rigeur for this area in the summer.

So sorry to be late again . . .

party:HAPPY BIRTHDAY Twokats!! party: party: HAPPY BIRTHDAY Claire-ont!! party:

OK everybody, get ready . . . in two days the big event will arrive . . . . . . unfortunately I will not be available to jump on the Thread to celebrate with all of you, but jump on it BIG!

Hi groupies, question for you. As you may or may not remember, I have been trying to do a small add-on (50 pts, direct) to my VWL contract. On the cruise in Oct., the DVC guide put us on a wait list. Great.

A few months ago, it came in. By the time I got back to him, he said, oh, it turns out the points weren't really for your use year. Ok, fine.

Fast forward to late last week. The points are here again. Yay. It took a while to connect with him, he is on the Fantasy, but we finally managed last night, great. Take my money. This morning, I have an email saying that there's a problem and that the points available are not registered in California (where I live). Huh? I haven't heard of this. He says, "certain units in Wilderness Lodge for some reason aren't able to be sold via the mail to California residents."

Have any of you heard of something like this? I feel like I'm just getting the runaround here.

Hi groupies, question for you. As you may or may not remember, I have been trying to do a small add-on (50 pts, direct) to my VWL contract. On the cruise in Oct., the DVC guide put us on a wait list. Great.

A few months ago, it came in. By the time I got back to him, he said, oh, it turns out the points weren't really for your use year. Ok, fine.

Fast forward to late last week. The points are here again. Yay. It took a while to connect with him, he is on the Fantasy, but we finally managed last night, great. Take my money. This morning, I have an email saying that there's a problem and that the points available are not registered in California (where I live). Huh? I haven't heard of this. He says, "certain units in Wilderness Lodge for some reason aren't able to be sold via the mail to California residents."

Have any of you heard of something like this? I feel like I'm just getting the runaround here.

Yes, that is possible. Several years ago I learned that many of the older resorts were not registered for sale in NV. At that time I was looking to add on a small BCV contract but was told I couldn't from home - but could certainly go to WDW or DL. Instead my DH was operating a restaurant in CA so we switched our address there. At that time they were registered for sales in CA. Then, when VGF came up they were waiting for approval in NV so I switched it to my home in MN that I inherited and stay at when I work there. At that time I looked at the timeshare sales registration for NV and it was just a few resorts that were registered - and I think that DVC has to re-register each year and it goes by individual resorts, at least in NV, so I could see how they would let some lapse. I am a bit surprised they did in CA though since it has a sales center. What I was told back then was that there had been several states that DVC never registered for sales in on the earlier resorts. It can be very frustrating!

Yes, that is possible. Several years ago I learned that many of the older resorts were not registered for sale in NV. At that time I was looking to add on a small BCV contract but was told I couldn't from home - but could certainly go to WDW or DL. Instead my DH was operating a restaurant in CA so we switched our address there. At that time they were registered for sales in CA. Then, when VGF came up they were waiting for approval in NV so I switched it to my home in MN that I inherited and stay at when I work there. At that time I looked at the timeshare sales registration for NV and it was just a few resorts that were registered - and I think that DVC has to re-register each year and it goes by individual resorts, at least in NV, so I could see how they would let some lapse. I am a bit surprised they did in CA though since it has a sales center. It's very frustrating!

Ugh. Very frustrating. Thanks. I didn't even think points wouldn't be registered out here, since duh, we have a DVC here. Supposedly he is double checking, but I'm going to guess this isn't going to happen.

Ugh. Very frustrating. Thanks. I didn't even think points wouldn't be registered out here, since duh, we have a DVC here. Supposedly he is double checking, but I'm going to guess this isn't going to happen.

Hope he finds out that info was incorrect!

I just did a search of NV - the licenses all have expirations within the next year and DVC is currently register to sell BLT, PVB, VGF, AKV, SSR for FL and VGC and Aulani. Both SSR and VGF are in the renewal process. But none of the 2042 resorts are able to be sold in NV.

As an aside note I tried to locate where to search for CA but I'm not certain the site I found was the correct one and it didn't allow a wide enough parameter search. But, I found there are 19 people with the last name of Disney that are licensed to sell real estate in CA! :teeth:

And I accidently ended up searching OH (it came up in my CA search for some reason) and if any of our OH groupie friends would like to buy VWL you can.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes Groupies, it is so greatly appreciated. :grouphug:
Dad's operation was successful, but they have discovered one of his kidneys is not functioning and the other has stenosis. He starts dialysis tomorrow. We've known about the limited kidney function, but weren't aware of the severity. Hopefully this will not be one of many hurdles, but all we can do is take each day as it comes and pray. Thanks again.​

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes Groupies, it is so greatly appreciated. :grouphug:
Dad's operation was successful, but they have discovered one of his kidneys is not functioning and the other has stenosis. He starts dialysis tomorrow. We've known about the limited kidney function, but weren't aware of the severity. Hopefully this will not be one of many hurdles, but all we can do is take each day as it comes and pray. Thanks again.​
Good to hear he did well! One day at a time is a great attitude. :)

So, I'm very late to this party, did anyone leave any cake?
:flower: Claire-ont :flower:
:cat: TwoKats :cat:

I hope you each had a Very Happy Birthday! :cake:

Last edited:
Oh, thank you all very much!
I also apologize for being so very late to my own party. It was an absolutely wonderful day. Sunshine and in the 60's (those who have suffered all the snow, please don't blast me!)
I spent the afternoon with a lady who was teaching me about my new Dream Machine, and I had a very good time.
The kids made dinner for me and even brought it over here to my house so I would not miss a phone call from my oldest son.
Kati had made a present for me the year I had breast cancer (2011) and she gave it to me now as I am fast approaching my 5 year anniversary of breast cancer survivor. I can't tell you how touched I was. All in all a fantastic day.

Dizny Dad used up our thread quota for dancing balloons for the day ;) so I'll use these guys and say......

:cake::jumping2:Happy Birthday Jimmy!!!!!:jumping2::cake:

Thanks for all the great birthday wishes folks! Yall are so sweet and I am honored to call you family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter