VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

A few people have commented that it seems so. I'm going in Feb and had just glanced at Feb as I was watching inventory before the 7 month mark and VWL had quite a bit. Then a few days ago poof - all gone! That was removed, not because of booking as there was too much available prior to it all going at once.

My theory is that Disney is pulling VWL off the online booking system at this point to make people contact MS for reservations. That way MS can "warn" them about the construction and possibly steer them to another resort. That way, no one can complain about the construction if they do book there and Disney would be able to stop giving away perks and concessions.

One other aspect of this theory is that Disney would have to allow VWL owners to book at other resorts in the 7-11 month window. I'm not sure that they could legally do this unless they are letting VWL owners book Disney's cash inventory rooms?

Clearly this is quite a mess and Disney is learning on the fly. They learned a little with the Poly but this is the first time I've heard of a DVC resort being so dramatically affected by construction.

I have no idea if my theory holds water or not...it has no basis in additional knowledge or information. I guess I'm just trying to think of it from Disney's side, and what I would do to get through the next two years without having a member revolt. :)

Oh, the Writer's Stop . . . it used to be the number one spot at DHS that DizniDi and I looked to enjoy . . .when they had the two stools and counter in the corner looking out over the walkway . . .then they put the cream 'n sugar stuff there and removed our perfect people watching spot (good coffee, big blocks of crispy rice treats, and the best view of families and folks in the park). From time to time I visit and remind them to tell management that they need to bring back those two seats for those that loved them.

Which brings to this thread another RANT . . .the parks no longer offer the big blocks (~4" x 4" x 3") of crispy rice treats anymore; they are now smaller, commercialized and wrapped in plastic. The best replacement they have now is the bag of six balls of crispy rice treats at the Main Street Confectionary in MK. Sorry . .it is one of those Fridays where I just had to RANT. :sad:

That's a good rant, DDad! :thumbsup2

I thought I saw those crispy rice treats at Starring Rolls in DHS? Probably just my imagination.

I've always enjoyed the Writer's Stop too since I saw a podcast several years ago from Lou Mongello about the place. The carrot cake cookie used to be a great snack option...not sure if it is still there.

. . . . . . . . I've always enjoyed the Writer's Stop too since I saw a podcast several years ago from Lou Mongello about the place. The carrot cake cookie used to be a great snack option...not sure if it is still there.

Not sure about the carrot cake cookie, but for sure things continue to change; one of the three guarantees of life; death, taxes, and change. I like to consider change as the seasoning in our soup; you just can't be the same soup every meal . . . it ain't healthy.

That's a good rant, DDad! :thumbsup2

I thought I saw those crispy rice treats at Starring Rolls in DHS? Probably just my imagination.

I've always enjoyed the Writer's Stop too since I saw a podcast several years ago from Lou Mongello about the place. The carrot cake cookie used to be a great snack option...not sure if it is still there.

I :love: those carrot cake "cookies" which are more like a whoopie pie! Yum!

If any of you follow Julie on FB, after a missed flight and a re-booking on a different airline, her luggage didn't make it. After several days her luggage did indeed turn up, but what a hassle! Julie, I hope you're enjoying your holiday adventure! I'm looking forward to your report and your pictures too.

Hi Di! Oh yes the beginning of our trip was quite the adventure & not in a good way. The good news (as you know from the pictures) it only got better from there.

Hello from England! Just got back from Dover and boy we were we excited. Not only did we see the cliffs and the castle but as a added bonus, the Disney Magic was pulled up to the dock!!
We have had a great time now just chilling tomorrow then off to 2 more castles Thurs before capt d and me hit the air fri.

So glad to hear you had a great time. How cool you got to see the Magic as an unexpected bonus. England is on our list for next year. Can't wait.

Having a blast here in England!! Went to Englands smallest pub, located in Bury, one town over from Thetford, our home base for the stay. The pub holds 9 people, thats it. Its called The Nutshell.
Headed to 2 castles today, and amazed by the Dover Castle, just sheer size alone is massive. Really enjoyed the history there, and its relation to Englands involvement in WWII.
Home tomorrow back to the grindstone. But my next trip to England/Europe is already churning in my mind :tilt:

The German castles were some of the highlights from our trip too.

Oh, the Writer's Stop . . . it used to be the number one spot at DHS that DizniDi and I looked to enjoy . . .when they had the two stools and counter in the corner looking out over the walkway . . .then they put the cream 'n sugar stuff there and removed our perfect people watching spot (good coffee, big blocks of crispy rice treats, and the best view of families and folks in the park). From time to time I visit and remind them to tell management that they need to bring back those two seats for those that loved them.

Which brings to this thread another RANT . . .the parks no longer offer the big blocks (~4" x 4" x 3") of crispy rice treats anymore; they are now smaller, commercialized and wrapped in plastic. The best replacement they have now is the bag of six balls of crispy rice treats at the Main Street Confectionary in MK. Sorry . .it is one of those Fridays where I just had to RANT. :sad:

I loved that spot too! I was sad the first time I came back after they removed it. It's starting to be a trend unfortunately. :sad1: Loved the Animation Academy too but alas that's gone now as well. Pretty soon it won't be worth going to DHS anymore.

Yes the cookies are still there. For now anyway. One of my absolute favorites. More like a mini cake than a cookie & impossible to finish.

Hi groupies! I'm home from Europe. We got in last night. As Di mentioned the trip got off to a very rough start but once that was finally past us it was amazing! We loved it. River crusing is awesome! I took 700+ photos. I just couldn't stop! The food was fabulous. Definitely gained some weight but I'm afraid to get on the scale. I really wish I was friends with more of you on FB as that's where the majority of my photos will be. I won't be doing a TR here (although I will on another board but can't mention the name). I can post a few pictures if anyone wants to see but I don't want to clog up this thread with non VWL things. However this one relates so I'm going to share. When we got to Frankfurt we did a quick tour of a cathedral I spotted close by to where we had dinner. At the time I thought wow this is some place, and it was, but how naive I was. It was beautiful but nothing like what was to come. We toured 2 cathedrals in Germany that were 1,000 years old! Unbelievable. But this was one of my very first sites in Germany. I spotted it from across the street & said to DS15 I've got to get a picture of that for my VWL groupie friends!

I have no idea what the sign says but it was right across from the entrance of the Dom St. Bartholmaus

Happy Birthdays to DaveH and BWVDreamin!!!!
And Happy Anniversary to rfasset and Rebecca!!!!

So sorry for being so late, was in England and didnt have a lot of time to catch up. A big thank you to KAT4DISNEY for keeping my job afloat while away!!

Great pictures and information, horselover!! :)

As for this guy....

....I think he is our Groupie leader as we make trips to WDW to find out Disney's not-so-secret plans for our beloved home.

:bday: Happy Birthdays to DaveH and BWVDreamin! :bday:

:flower1: And Happy Anniversary to rfasset and Rebecca! :flower1:

Well, just a day or two removed from a lovely stay at VWL. My daughter and I might have had our last vacation together before she goes off to college---she is a rising senior, and part of our trip was a college visit to UCSD followed by a nice stay at the Lodge.

There will be change, no doubt about it. But, after looking at the plans and thinking about things, I'm convinced that the essential nature of the Lodge will remain. Change is scary, but my experience tells me that it is almost never as dire as it seems in the beginning.

As for the rest of it: we had a lovely time at Hollywood Studios, and easily made a full day (with a mid-day break) out of the park. In particular, going from the Frozen Fireworks to Fantasmic! is a great way to end the evening

We also had several great dining experiences: a light lunch at Brown Derby on our Studios day, a great meal at Boathouse (don't miss the "museum" out on the water!), and a *lovely* meal at the bar at California Grill on our last night to catch the sunset over the Seven Seas Lagoon. We spent a lot of time on the watercraft on Bay Lake/SSL on this trip, and it really brings home the advantage of VWL vs. most of the other DVC resorts. As a founding member of the Bay Lake Society, I really appreciated this trip, and I'm sure I will enjoy those in the future.

Glad to hear you had a nice stay Brian. I remain hopeful the changes, and I echo your sentiments about change. We will be there in about one month!:yay:

Great pictures and information, horselover!! :)

As for this guy....

....I think he is our Groupie leader as we make trips to WDW to find out Disney's not-so-secret plans for our beloved home.
I like this idea Granny, he seems to be the right fir for the role at hand. Thanks for sharing him Julie!

Brian, I am glad you brought some light to the "dark" subject of change at our beloved home. I too, in the end result believe that all will be OK. I do hope that the serenity of the place will not be lost, as much as anything, that is my biggest concern right now

There will be change, no doubt about it. But, after looking at the plans and thinking about things, I'm convinced that the essential nature of the Lodge will remain. Change is scary, but my experience tells me that it is almost never as dire as it seems in the beginning.

Brian...you are quite correct, of course. I think we all agree that the changes will end up being okay. We just like to fret when someone tampers with our Shangri La! :)

We loved the Writer's Stop counter and stool from years ago too! Such a waste to have that interesting view now for sugar, creamer, stir sticks and napkins. And leads to my little rant on it - now the seating is right in front of the books and music that they sell. Invariably I want to look at things but there are people sitting there so I'm either looking over and around them which isn't very comfortable, or more likely, I'm just having to walk out without looking. :(

I'm a weirdo on the rice krispy treats though - I prefer the taste and softness of the pre-packaged vs what they had in the past year or two. But I don't love the thought of why I like them like the preservatives to keep them nice and soft. :scared: My mother had the knack for making these treats - the grand kids, all well grown, still speak of them so they always have a high standard to live up to in our house. Starbucks used to sell a good one too but I haven't found them there for a year or two either? The Carrot Cake cookies though - can't eat all of one but oh they are good!

Some information I received from a Guest Satisfaction CM about the refurb was that they will not be placing people in any of the rooms that are closest to the pool while it is being refurbed. They will still be using the lakeside but only the rooms further away from the pool so it's a bit of an explanation on why they have been moving people.

She also said that the nature trail was scheduled to close down starting Oct 2nd and some of the construction walls would be going up in between that date and the 26th. The nature trail will apparently be the construction road. I said I hoped they would not be running over the turtles we've seen there!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter