VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hello . . . Hello . . . . Hello . . . . . Hello . . . . Hello . . . . .Hello . . . . . . still lost . . If I can just get back to The Lodge, I know I'll be alright! DiznyDi . . . are you out there?

Hello . . . Hello . . . . Hello . . . . . Hello . . . . Hello . . . . .Hello . . . . . . still lost . . If I can just get back to The Lodge, I know I'll be alright! DiznyDi . . . are you out there?

Dude, sometimes you scare me with your "On Golden Pond" moments! :teeth:

WDad...thanks for the information. I'll start looking into flights for our September trip! :)
Luv has started looking for her annual Sept trip. Not much love flying out of Charlotte right now. No direct flights (in past years there have been several non-stop options), and the quickest she can get to MCO from CLT is about six hours or more and costs close to $200. Can get there direct out of Raleigh-Durham for some cheaper but that's nearly a three-hour drive for us. Now, she has friends in Nashville who found a non-stop to MCO at $100. Sigh. And that is why we almost always drive.

Sleepy Greensboro has direct flights with Allegiant, we have flown with them twice. It is limited for sure on its days, but very affordable. Flies into Orlando Sanford at that point she can rent a car, easy drive down 417(toll rd)that is a direct shot onto WDW property, or get a towncar. We have flown for less than $100 RT. Its no frills, but both airports very easy to navigate, neither huge like MCO. Just a thought:)

Sleepy Greensboro has direct flights with Allegiant, we have flown with them twice. It is limited for sure on its days, but very affordable. Flies into Orlando Sanford at that point she can rent a car, easy drive down 417(toll rd)that is a direct shot onto WDW property, or get a towncar. We have flown for less than $100 RT. Its no frills, but both airports very easy to navigate, neither huge like MCO. Just a thought:)
She has thought about Allegiant, but faces a few issues. First, she has a $200 credit for Southwest due to a snafu on a trip last year, and second would be the rental car (while not a huge cost, it is significant, and she prefers to use DME). Of course, the credit will expire by October, so it's a use it or lose it. Further, her annual trip almost always starts on a day different than Allegiant flies. Mainly, it's just the fact of having to travel nearly 7 hours when a direct flight would take under an hour and a half. She's hoping as the warmer months (those are coming, right??) draw closer, they'll open up direct flights. It's maddening to have one of the top 10 busiest airports in the U.S. (CLT) and one of the top 15 busiest airports (MCO) that don't have a cheap, direct link between them (US Air currently is the cheapest option at $350 RT for a non-stop!) It's as though the airlines are saying, "we dare you to drive". . .and we take that dare almost every single trip. :rotfl:We can drive down and back for less than $250 (and that includes staying one night in GA on the way down), so it's a no-brainer for us. Still, Chris says thanks for the tip, and she'll investigate it! :thumbsup2

one month from tonight we'll be at the Lodge. We've stayed in a regular room for a couple nights, but never in the Villas. I can't wait to get out of the cold.

As for my top 3 fave things to do:
1-watch the resort come alive by finding a spot outside to have my coffee and check emails, etc. I'm thinking the beach at Wilderness will work very nicely. I wake up crazy early at Disney, so it's not unusual that I get to watch the sun rise.
2-the first walk down Main St.
3-Africa at Animal Kingdom. I could sit there for hours listening to the band and going on safari.

one month from tonight we'll be at the Lodge. We've stayed in a regular room for a couple nights, but never in the Villas. I can't wait to get out of the cold.

1-watch the resort come alive by finding a spot outside to have my coffee and check emails, etc. I'm thinking the beach at Wilderness will work very nicely. I wake up crazy early at Disney, so it's not unusual that I get to watch the sun rise.
3-Africa at Animal Kingdom. I could sit there for hours listening to the band and going on safari.
Welcome, Bethany! So glad to hear from you, and the beach is a great place to watch the day begin. I might also add that the lobby itself is a cool place to sit and watch the day unfold, too. Still, the beach is one of my fave places at the Lodge as it's where I first met my wife. :thumbsup2 Glad you could join our merry Groupies band!

And a very happy birthday to DisneyFreaks!

The something new I learned today-i didn't know there was a beach other than to rent boats! We can't wait to check it out!

Just catching up here and saying hello Groupies. Welcome to all the new Groupies!

The something new I learned today-i didn't know there was a beach other than to rent boats! We can't wait to check it out!
Yes, there are beach chairs, too, and a small playground area for kids. The boat rental also acts as the bike rental, too. One of my top loves of VWL is the nature trail that starts beside the bike/boat rental building. It follows the shoreline for about 1/3 of a mile before giving you the option to hook a right and join the main, paved path that most people use or allowing you continue following the shoreline which leads to the parking area for CMs at FW. That second option is an unofficial one, but I've run it many times and never had anyone say anything to me. Whether you take the main, paved trail or either of the two nature trail options above, the distance to Pioneer Hall is approximately one mile each way. :thumbsup2

The beach area is a great place to watch the MK fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant if you happen to be back at the resort at that time. I think the EWP passes by WL at 9:30pm. On one trip the MK fireworks were going on at the same time. It must have been an MVMCP night at the MK, with fireworks at 9:30 instead of 9pm or 10pm. It was great!

I did read something about a carriage ride between the 2 resorts. Does that happen at the boat dock?

The beach area is a great place to watch the MK fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant if you happen to be back at the resort at that time. I think the EWP passes by WL at 9:30pm. On one trip the MK fireworks were going on at the same time. It must have been an MVMCP night at the MK, with fireworks at 9:30 instead of 9pm or 10pm. It was great!

Good to know to know thank you! Didn't know we'd be able to see fireworks from there!

Bethany...welcome to the VWL Groupies thread! :)

If you do decide to greet the day down at the VWL beach for sunrise, you can look forward to this kind of view:

or maybe something like this from the dock:

Have a great time at our favorite place!! :)

I did read something about a carriage ride between the 2 resorts. Does that happen at the boat dock?

They used to do the Christmas "sleigh" ride between the two but that was ended a few years ago and I don't think that they have any other carriage ride that goes between the two anymore. You can still do the carriage ride around FW though. :)

Thank you! I can't wait to learn more throughout this thread. We're real excited for our first stay here :goofy:

Granny those pics are beautiful!

My wife and son were in Orlando and staying at Old Key West resort. They were due back on Saturday, but their flight was cancelled due to snow at BWI. My eldest daughter's friends are letting them stay at their house in Palm Bay. They're still there and will return tomorrow. I'm booking them 3 nights at a DVC studio in September to show my appreciation.

During the Christmas Season, they have Sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness. You pick up your sleigh (seat ~4) right outside the Trading post by the boat docks, near the horse barns. Cool ride! Sleigh bells and all!

DiznyDi and I have also taken the fireworks wagon ride, also at Fort Wilderness. It is a large wagon that loads up, say 20 folks, and positions itself off in the woods between the campground and Golden Oak. Also a good time ride!

Make reservations for both!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter