Visa Question - What Would You Do?

Malakaiii

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

First, I'm in Canada so our banking system is probably a little different than what most of you know. I'll try to share enough info that you can give me a fair opinion!

We have about $2100 on our Visa card. The limit is $3500. I'm working on savings right now, but will BEGIN actively paying off the Visa in about a month.

Currently our card is: 19.99 % interest, no annual fee
(we also receive 'rewards' but don't spend much on it and therefore don't get any rewards worth having)

I called to ask about a lower rate (can't hurt!) and was told I could purchase a lower rate card...

New card: $11.50 % interest, $20 annual fee
(no rewards)

What would you do? Is it worth switching to the new card to get the lower rate if I will actively be paying it off? They will not lower my rate on my current card.

20% on a 2100.00 loan V 11% on same loan is ( 420.00 V 231.00 interest payment) sort of a no brainer. Even adding the 20.00 to the 11% is still 160.00 less then the 20% card.

You can also call back and maybe get another rep with a better offer. Maybe even look on the net for a 0% for 12-18 months and pay the card off asp. Make sure there is no fee to transfer the one visa to a new visa.

I charge every thing-- I mean everything-- but I also pay it off every month. Rewards are not a good reason to use a credit card if it may not be paid off each month. I do think using a card for emergecny reasons is A-ok even if you know you will need to make monthly payments.

Good luck --

Thanks! I knows it's a much better deal just based on pure numbers, but I don't want to have to pay $20 a year for a card after that either! I guess I could always cancel it once it's a 0 balance again.

I like having an emergency card for sure. I HATE having a balance! I've been fighting so hard to make it go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter