VILLAINS, ALIENS AND ALCOHOL, A JAN. 2016 TR W/ CLUB VILLAIN REVIEW *Final Update 3/27 *

ariane37

Dis veteran
Welcome everyone, as I begin my 2nd TR before my 1st is even 50% complete! My DH Steve and I returned on Jan. 20th from a (too short) 5 night kid-free trip to our favorite home away from home, and we had such a great time I wanted to share it here. Plus, we attended the very first night of Club Villain over at Hollywood Studios and - spoiler alert - it was frightfully fabulous! Since right now it's only scheduled to last a few weekends, I thought some of you villains fans that can't make it down for this event might appreciate a review.

Let me start with some introductions.

I'm Ariane, and as I mentioned above my husband and Disney obsession supporter is Steve. We have 4 boys; 2 are my stepsons whom I failed to mention in my first TR and I feel guilty about that, so while I don't have any pictures let me introduce Jason (27)and Eric (24). Our younger 2 who sat this trip out are Ricky (13) and Chris (10)

Before I go any further I'm going to apologize for the HUGE pictures I'll be posting, I have yet to figure out how to shrink'em. I know it's annoying so if you stick with me, I truly thank you!
So we were just there with the kids over Thanksgiving but even before that we had decided to do one more trip by ourselves before our AP's expire in March. We'd gone alone last March and discovered the joys of kid-free Disney and were anxious to do it again!

We picked MLK weekend mainly because it worked for my mom who would be watching the boys most of the time we were gone. She works for our local Girl Scout council and, believe it or not, works some CRAZY long hours including nights and weekends. I know but seriously, you'd think she had some high-paying corporate job or something the way she works. So that weekend worked and plane fares were good. We're big on renting DVC points and even though we only started looking about 7 months out, we were able to stay at 2 new-to-us resorts I'd been wanting to try, AKV and the Poly!! Steve wasn't quite as thrilled; he's old and stuck in his ways. His Disney way being staying at the BWV, but our Nov. experience wasn't stellar and I really want to try (just about) all the resorts. So here's what we were looking at:
Jan. 15-18th, standard studio AKV Jambo House
Jan. 18-20th, standard studio Poly villas
I was thrilled! I spent 7 months telling Steve he wouldn't be disappointed and promising we'd go back to the BW if these resorts really stunk. Hey, sometimes ya gotta tell them what they want to hear........

Fast forward to Jan. 15th! Our flight was scheduled to leave out of White Plains at 3:15 and my stepson Jason dropped us off. Everything was great until the pilot announced we were TENTH in line for takeoff and we sat there for an hour. So, instead of landing at 6:07 it was 7:00. And then we sat on the ME about 25 minutes which isn't horrendous but could be better. However, all was well when I saw this

Picture is blurry but it's always clear as day in my head! What was really cool was that we were able to see some of the Star Wars fireworks at HS from the ME bus, and they looked super cool.

We really wanted to go to our room (we'd gotten our room ready text before leaving for the airport) and drop our bags before our 8:45 ADR at Sanaa, but Sanaa is in Kidani, we were in Jambo and we pulled up to AKL at 8:50. So we went right to the restaurant and were seated within 5 minutes, which was great because we were starving! We'd been to Sanaa twice for lunch but never dinner. We were craving their bread service and I wanted me some butter chicken!
First things first though: drinks. Steve went for his customary Grey Goose on the rocks with olives and I decided to try the Pina Colava. It was deee-licious, like a Pina Colada with raspberry in it.

The color was actually a lighter, prettier pink than the picture shows.
Next we ordered their Naan bread service for an appetizer. You can either get all the dips (9 or 11, I forgot already!) or pick 3 which is what we did. We got all of them the last time and a few weren't to our taste, so we went with the cucumber raita, coriander chutney, and garlic pickle. You get 5 breads and they are all different also but all I remember is a plain one, a garlicky one and a really freakin' spicy one lol.

Yes, we started eating before I took the picture! I know this isn't technically a dining report but Steve and I love our food and we ate some really good stuff on this trip, so I'm going to share my food pics even though some may be half-eaten stuff.
I ordered my good old butter chicken x2 with basmati rice for an entrée which I do NOT have a picture of. It's like a pick-2 under "Potjie Inspired" entrees on the menu. I probably spelled that wrong but I'm too lazy right now to look it up. I love the butter chicken so much I get that instead of choosing a 2nd option with it. The sauce is hard to describe but it's good! Not overly spicy but it does have a bit of a kick after you've had a few bites. Steve went with the Braaivleis: South African Braai sampler plate with Boerewor, lambchop, and pork tenderloin. Boerewor BTW is an African pork and beef sausage-we asked :)

I know there was some broccoli rabe on here (blechh! Steve loves it though) and on the one end were big pearl onions in a cream sauce. Then there was a potato of some type but Steve said it wasn't your basic mashed potato. He almost licked his plate clean, that's how much he enjoyed this thing!

The last time we were here I had a banana cheesecake that was HEAVEN. The one on the menu now was different but I knew it would still be good so I made sure to save room for some. One of the best parts was the pistachio brittle part on the bottom of the cheesecake. You can see Steve's chocolate mousse in the background

Can you guess what was even better than my cheesecake? A bite of cheesecake, followed by a bite of Steve's chocolate mousse. Followed by another bite of cheesecake, aaaaand another bite of mousse. And so on, and so on.............

Finally we rolled out of there and decided to walk over to Jambo rather than take the shuttle. It was chilly, I think about 50, but I hate going to sleep feeling disgustingly full and at this point it was 10:40, so we both felt the walking would do us good. It wasn't bad either, less than 10 minutes. We knew from looking at a map that our standard view studio had a pool view and we were cool with that. Since it was dark we couldn't get a feel for the view, but here are some shots of the room:

We were very happy with our room and even happier in the morning when we woke up, looked out the window and saw this:

Over to the right more we could see the covered walkway with outside entrances to the Mara, Boma, the arcade and the fitness room. Every morning when we'd look outside we'd see maintenance spraying down the pool area, but being on the 5th floor we couldn't really hear it even on the balcony. It was very peaceful in the mornings and interesting to watch the couple times we stopped back in the room during the day.

NEXT UP: EPCOT AND CLUB VILLAIN!!!!!

Hey Ariane!! Great start so far.. LOVE the view at Jambo.. wow!! I am so glad you guys enjoyed it! Can't wait to hear what you think of the Poly.

Renting DVC points is pretty awesome, huh!? I loved it.

Your boys are so cute. Poor guys got left behind lol ;)

Your meal at Sanaa looks amazing. Of course the bread service.. yummmmm.. Your entrees sound delicious, too! We will definitely have to make it back there sometime to try them.

I know there was some broccoli rabe on here (blechh! Steve loves it though) and on the one end were big pearl onions in a cream sauce. Then there was a potato of some type but Steve said it wasn't your basic mashed potato. He almost licked his plate clean, that's how much he enjoyed this thing!

This looks awesome! Wow! Goes to show that we definitely ordered poorly with the tandoori chicken, because this just looks sooooo good.

Gray start - we must live close to you - I work just down the road from the Westchester county airport.

We've only done lunch at Sanaa - but Steve's sampler is making me want to try it for dinner!

Hey Ariane!! Great start so far.. LOVE the view at Jambo.. wow!! I am so glad you guys enjoyed it! Can't wait to hear what you think of the Poly.

Renting DVC points is pretty awesome, huh!? I loved it.

Your boys are so cute. Poor guys got left behind lol ;)

Your meal at Sanaa looks amazing. Of course the bread service.. yummmmm.. Your entrees sound delicious, too! We will definitely have to make it back there sometime to try them.

This looks awesome! Wow! Goes to show that we definitely ordered poorly with the tandoori chicken, because this just looks sooooo good.

Hi Ashley! Thanks for coming over :) We were very happy to get such a nice view. I believe all the standard view at Jambo are either pool or savannah-I got confused reading the AKL thread between Jambo and Kidani lol but having not booked a savannah view I would've been fine with whatever we got! Renting points is DEFINITELY the way to go. While we were there we looked at the bounce back and did the math for an Aug. or Oct. stay at AKL-crazy. Such a big price difference from renting points!

Definitely give Sanaa another try :thumbsup2 Maybe on your first trip back after your honeymoon :love2:

Gray start - we must live close to you - I work just down the road from the Westchester county airport.

We've only done lunch at Sanaa - but Steve's sampler is making me want to try it for dinner!

Hi there and :welcome: Are you by chance in Mahopac? I believe I read that somewhere here :) We're in Wappingers Falls, Dutchess County. We normally fly out of either Westchester or Stewart depending on price and flight times. Stewart is only 20 minutes away but most times of the year they only offer one flight out to MCO and sometimes it's like 6-7pm, and when the kids are with us we like earlier flights. This time though, we flew out of HPN and into Stewart. First time we did that but the pricing and flight times were right!

Are you snowed in lol? We only have a dusting but they still cancelled all my 2 DS's basketball games today :sad2:
Definitely try Sanaa for dinner! Steve decided on his entrée after staring at the people next to us eating it and heard them saying how good it was.

The next morning was an Epcot morning. Originally they had an 8am opening and I planned on us getting there shortly afterwards to do TT single rider and then use our FP later. However, opening got changed to 7-uh-uh. We decided one go on TT would be good and the plan of arriving about 8:15ish would stick.

We got to the bus stop about 8:00 and waited with a VERY small crowd of people until 8:15 for a bus. I knew Kidani had the bus screens that tell you when to expect the next bus so I assumed Jambo did too, but they don't :mad: We loved having the screens at BW in Nov. but hey, not a big deal. Steve was very concerned about the distance of AKL from the 3 parks but we were pleasantly surprised at how quick the ride to Epcot was - about 11 minutes! Got there just shy of 8:30. TT already had a 45 minute wait so we hopped over and did a ride we enjoy but skipped back in Nov., Living with the Land. At this point I realized I'd left my phone in the room so no pics, sorry! After that I wanted to go to the former Capt. EO building and see the Pixar shorts they were showing. There were 3: "La Luna" "For the Birds" and "Get a Horse". They give you 3D glasses when you enter. The first one, "Get a Horse" also has some 4D effects which I won't go into detail here for those of you who may experience it for yourselves. What I will tell you, not that any of you will care, is that at one point in "Get a Horse" Minnie says, "Where are we? Poughkeepsie?" Why is this interesting you ask? Because that's the town right next to mine! As in like 3 minutes from my house, as in the town my mall is in, my kids' school, etc. So I turned to Steve and said out loud "POUGHKEEPSIE!" like a dork. I also do this when they say Poughkeepsie on TV which they do a lot, mostly on shows that take place in NYC. Friends, Law and Order, and in one of the Sex and the City movies Charlotte "Poughkeepsie'd in her pants" after swallowing water wherever they were. Not the best advertisement for the town but I still said "POUGHKEEPSIE!" out loud in the theater, along with everyone else!

Alright sorry for the OT info! The Pixar shorts were cute and I feel worth a stop if you aren't pressed for time, or if you want something else to do during the long Soarin' refurb. After that we grabbed some Starbucks and chilled until our TT FP at 10:15.

We had a FP for Spaceship Earth at 11:15 but decided to skip it and head over to WS after TT, about 10:50. TT had taken awhile even with FP because there was a huge back-up. The park was getting crowded, SE had a 45 minute wait at 10:50! We got to WS just as they were letting guests past Norway, and we were hungry. Steve wanted a bratwurst from Germany and I wanted to try something from La Cantina San Angel, so we headed to Germany first. I was also dying to try the Avocado margarita from La Cava, so after we got his bratwurst I headed to La Cantina for my food while Steve went inside the pavilion to get my drink.

Unfortunately Steve found out that La Cava doesn't open until 12:30 and it was currently only about 11:40, so he went to the outside margarita stand and got me a strawberry one. I also realized he could take pictures with his phone:

Not bad, but it really didn't satisfy my alcohol craving :rolleyes1 I decided to go with Tacos de Pollo, (chicken tacos) and we grabbed a seat INSIDE La Cantina. Yup, I said INSIDE! Just as Vernie822 recently found out, I had no idea there was indoor seating until this trip. Which was nice to find out, because even though it was almost 80 degrees and gorgeous and sitting outside would have been nice, this particular QS was crowded. Steve loved the bratwurst and he generously let me sample a chip that comes with it. Delicious, they had paprika on them

My tacos were good for a QS; the rice and beans were better than the actual tacos

By the time we finished eating it was just about 12:30, and since my margarita wasn't really hitting the spot we decided to get on line for La Cava. Apparently about 60 other people had the same idea, because holy mama that line was LOOOOONG! I counted 41 people ahead of us and that was just the ones I could see! Once it hit 12:30 we waiting for 16 minutes and didn't move one inch. Not even a Mother-May-I baby step (am I dating myself with that reference?) So as much as I wanted to try it, I gave up and we headed back out into WS to enjoy the beautiful day and make our way towards France, home of the one and only

Say it with me now, Grey-Goose-Slush!!! This is both mine and Steve's go-to WS drink, and we don't get just one per trip. It's like liquid sunshine in a glass........well, plastic martini cup........hey, I attempted to try something new, but the odds weren't in my favor that day!

We spent the next couple hours walking the countries and doing some shopping. On our kid-free trip last year we got the boys candy/chocolate from each country and Ricky had requested that again, and Chris had requested "Stitch stuff" (one of his favorite characters along with genie) and a marionette from the China pavilion. We also caught the new act in Canada who had just started the day before, "TradNation". I knew they wouldn't be another Off-Kilter but I was hoping for something better than the lumberjacks. Hmm.......will you think less of me if I say I feel badly for them? They didn't draw a big crowd and in fact had more than half the folks who did start out watching them leave less than half way through their set. It's traditional folk music from the area of Toronto they're from, and one of the members does a folk dance which was a cross between, at least to me, tap dancing and Irish dancing. He did come into the "crowd" and attempt to teach some of them to dance......I made Steve stay for the whole performance because I felt guilty leaving. I didn't even take any pictures :sad1:

We wanted to hop a bus back to AKL by 3:30 so we could freshen up before Club Villain, but not before getting some dessert! Since I'd had my favorite drink from WS it was only fitting to follow up with my favorite snack from Kringla Bakeri in Norway-

Do they actually have school bread in Norway? 'Cuz if they do, I'm saving up my dollars and taking a vaca there! I let Steve have one bite because he wasn't really hungry and I don't share desserts, and we trekked over to FW to get a bus. Before too long we were back in our room and changing into our Villains shirts so we could go meet our friends from the other side!

Hi there and :welcome: Are you by chance in Mahopac? I believe I read that somewhere here :) We're in Wappingers Falls, Dutchess County. We normally fly out of either Westchester or Stewart depending on price and flight times. Stewart is only 20 minutes away but most times of the year they only offer one flight out to MCO and sometimes it's like 6-7pm, and when the kids are with us we like earlier flights. This time though, we flew out of HPN and into Stewart. First time we did that but the pricing and flight times were right!

Are you snowed in lol? We only have a dusting but they still cancelled all my 2 DS's basketball games today :sad2:
Definitely try Sanaa for dinner! Steve decided on his entrée after staring at the people next to us eating it and heard them saying how good it was.

I am in Mahopac! It is still snowing a little bit and we have a bout a foot of snow on the ground - but further south definitely got more

One of my co-workers lives in Wappingers Falls and we are up near there are lot in the summer as we get a farm co-op share at Fishkill Farms

bummer about the line at La Cava - that is one of my favorite places but it has gotten so popular there seem to always be crazy lines! I love the avocado margarita and also the jalapeno one

That's a neat idea to pick up candy from each of the countries

Back in October, Disney announced a new event being held January through March in Hollywood Studios, Club Villain. I am a big fan of the villains and it saddens me that they aren't represented more in the parks, especially with meet and greets. I love MNSSHP and was bummed in 2014 when they stopped doing the quick villain M&G after their stage show, but refused to pay the extra amount for the Villains Soiree on top of the party ticket......oops, OT again! Whelp, I booked Club Villain the first day I could. It's only held Saturdays so that was 1/16 for us and it was only going on at 9:15 pm. We don't mind eating that late but I do hate going to sleep feeling disgustingly full, so in early Dec. when someone in my Disney Jan. FB group mentioned they had added a 5:45 Club Villain on the 16th, I quickly switched times. I got Steve a neat villains shirt from the Disney store and ordere myself one from RedBubble, a company I'd ordered from before. Unfortunately I didn't like it when it came and it came the day before we left, so I just wore a Maleficent shirt I'd gotten a few trips ago in DTD whoops! Disney Springs!

We ended up getting to HS about 5:10. I had hoped to get in a ride on Tower of Terror before checking in to our nighttime entertainment, but the wait was 50 minutes and there were no FP's left for it. At that point there were actually only FP's left for Fantasmic, Muppets, and Star Tours......

So, we walked back towards RnRC and the Sunset Showcase Theatre behind it. During the day it hosts a dance party with characters for kids, but that night it became

Woo-hoo! This was actually right outside RnRc. As soon as we walked back by the actual entrance to the ride, we saw the gates open to the theatre and about 4 security guys hanging out. We went up and asked if we could check in - it was 5:20 and they let us back, cool! We checked in at a podium

And were given our "invitations" from Dr. Facilier. Inside were the signatures of the villains we were going to meet - Cruella, Maleficent, Queen of Hearts and the Evil Queen. It also listed the menu for the evening and that there would be "specialty drinks". On the back it gave us specific times to meet each villain, 2 per time slot. We were meeting Maleficent and the Evil Queen at 6:10 and Cruella and Queen of Hearts at 7:15. Besides all this info. being in the invitation, a manager of sorts came up, greeted us, and went over everything with us. There were TONS of big-wigs there all night and many of them were approaching us and other guests asking how we were enjoying ourselves, did we need anything, etc.

We were then encouraged to grab a drink from the waiters who were walking around serving champagne and bottles of water and told the "club" would be open soon

There weren't really that many people waiting yet, and they opened the doors at 5:35. There was so much to take in! Picture overload coming up

The food was set up already but it wasn't crowded so we were able to walk around and get a feel for the "Club". Another piece of info. that was on our invitation was our table #, and we had been told that, because we were a party of 2, we'd most likely be seated with others. First we located our table which was #10. We were close to the Evil Queen and Queen of Hearts. Cruella and Maleficent were on the other side and they all had a special area with a seat in it themed specifically to them for their M&G.
Cruella

and Maleficent

Each lovely lady had her own dessert table and 2 specialty desserts made just for her. Their table was set up near their M&G spot. The Evil Queen had a lime mousse and an "apple truffle" and the Queen of Hearts had a red velvet cupcake and some type of berry macaroon with a heart on top
I didn't get a shot of the truffle but it'll show up later ::yes::

Cruella had a vanilla-ish panna cotta with cute doggy bones on top and then some type of chocolate cake dessert with foot prints on top, also cute. Maleficent had a push-pop cheesecake topped with dark cherry sauce and a green frosted cupcake with "horns" on top.

There was a bar set up on either side of the stage. In addition to soda,wine and a few different types of beers, each villain had her own specialty drink. The Evil Queen had a Poisoned Cinnamon Apple, Queen of Hearts had Bleeding Heart Sangria (VERY good), Maleficent had a Cursed Violet (DELICIOUS) and Cruella had a Devious Dalmation

I started out with the Bleeding Heart Sangria and Steve got a specialty beer. We were seated with 2 awesome women from Florida, Clara and Marylou. After we'd been talking for awhile and they realized we liked to drink (as did they), Clara disappears and shows up like this:

I'd only tried the sangria at that point and she'd been drinking the poisoned apple, and we'd all tried each others. Different straws guys, but we were getting along swimmingly! So she went and got a devious Dalmatian and cursed violet for us to try. I wasn't a fan of the Dalmatian or poisoned apple so I stuck with the other two.
Here's a bad shot of the beer and wine offered:

Steve was drinking the Blackened VooDoo which is a New Orleans beer according to Marylou who is originally from there. Oh I forgot to mention, Club Villain itself has an overall N. Orleans vibe, which makes sense since the Shadow Man was to be our host.

It's getting late and my fingers are sore from typing, so I'm going to have to continue our villainous adventure tomorrow. I promise lots more pictures coming up and real live VILLAINS!

**Editing to add that I asked Clara if it was ok for me to include her picture in a TR here on the DisBoards and she said absolutely yes. Also, if anyone reading happens to know her or her good friend Marylou, please let me know! We had a wonderful time with them! We had a CM take a group shot with Marylou's phone and she sent it to Steve; it showed up that night but now he can't find it. Sitting with them really added to our enjoyment of the night**

Last edited:
I must say, it sees like Disney has learned from past events like this and added a lot more organization and nice to see management there - if you are going to pay this extra money for the event you want it run well

Also nice to see the set times for meeting the characters since I know that is important for a lot of people who attend the events

I love the stylized seats for the characters and the food and drinks look quite good. Was there savory food too or just the desserts?

I must say, it sees like Disney has learned from past events like this and added a lot more organization and nice to see management there - if you are going to pay this extra money for the event you want it run well

Also nice to see the set times for meeting the characters since I know that is important for a lot of people who attend the events

I love the stylized seats for the characters and the food and drinks look quite good. Was there savory food too or just the desserts?

I agree with Disney learning from past events. This night was sold out but was not crowded at all, and lines for the meets were not long at any point. The villains also took their time with guests, we didn't feel rushed at all :)

They did have a complete dinner buffet out as soon as we got there as well as desserts, and everything was delicious! I'll post the menu in my next update. The dessert tables were more front and center than the buffet areas so when we first walked in, those were one of the first things we took pictures of. Between taking in all the ambiance, introducing ourselves to our tablemates and getting drinks, it took us awhile to get to the food!

Where the drinks all inclusive?

Hi there BCNHF! Yes, all alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks, dinner (which I'll get to in my next update :) ), dessert, the champagne before we were let in and the meet & greets were included in the price. When we were given our invitations at the podium we were told we didn't need to get autographs since "the ladies have signed the invitation for you", but there were some people who brought autograph books and even t-shirts and what looked like maybe pillowcases, and the villains happily signed them, so I'd even say autographs were included, too!

Hey thanks for the reply. Weird question for ya, was there lots of blinking lights and strobes? My GF wants to go to this but she has epilepsy and I can't tell if it's that crazy with the lights :(

I'm curious as to your thoughts on bringing kids. I have a 5-year-old who LOVES all things villains, and I know she will do fine....but I also have a 20-month-old. Since she's not old enough for the Disney childcare clubhouse thingies, I'd have to bring her, too. (And we'd only do this if we could get a 5:45 time, not the later ones...). Were there ANY kids there at all? Is it completely inappropriate for children?

I love that you were at Sanaa a few hours after us. I totally got the butter chicken as one of the options for my lunch and attriel and I split the cheesecake for dessert.

We also were in Mexico around the same time. We got there at 1:15 on Saturday, I just checked my text to my sister about where we were. We totally looked at the line for La Cava and went, yeah not happening.

I am still jealous about the Villains. I really thought about doing it with just me and attriel and leaving the kids with my parents, but I wasn't sure they would watch them two days and we really wanted our Narcoossee's dinner. I am kind of hoping it comes back in 2018, you know when we plan to go back next time. I'll totally stick the kids in Simba's clubhouse and go to it.

I'm so proud to welcome you to the chewed food photo club. We meet on Wednesdays. LOL!!

I'm impressed with the drinks and desserts offered at Club Villain! Their little M&G areas are great!

I've never seen a short line at La Cava :sad: although I feel like Josh from easyWDW said they're pre-mixed now, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. (that's what I tell myself anyway...truth be told, I DO feel like I'm missing out, because I love avocado and jalapeno margaritas!)

I love the draped mosquito netting over the beds at AKL, the room looks so pretty. And the view wasn't hurting my eyes either!!

along for the report! we are also thinking of doing akv/poly studio split stay on rented points so interested in the outcome :)

Before I get to the ladies of the evening, let me backtrack to food and fill you in on our dinner. I started with dessert and drinks because 1) they're my favorite parts of a meal and 2) when we walked in, the dessert tables and bar were 2 things that caught everyone's eye first.

As I said in my last update, each villain had her dessert table by her M&G area and there was a bar on each side of the stage. There were food stations on each side of the room, and the same food was being served on both sides. Our dinner for the evening consisted of:

Creamy Polenta with Fire Kissed Corn
Shrimp Sautéed with Spicy Andouille sausage,
Tomato,Okra and Onions
Chilled Haricot Verts with Muffuletta Vinairette
Bourbon Bread Pudding "Beignet"
Vegetarian Kale and Collard Slaw with Watermelon Vinaigrette
Vegetarian Dirty Rice
Cajun Chicken Thigh Gumbo
Voodoo Sticky Pig Wings with Citrus Gremolata

Herb de Province Rubbed Striploin of beef carved on Aromatic Black Iron Herbs and Garlic
Wild Mushroom Demi

I did really bad with pictures of the actual food (like I said, dessert and drinks are my favorite!) but I managed a couple

This is the beef striploin and haricot verts. The beef was delicious and tender; definitely on the medium rare side. I'm not sure if it was all like that but my piece was as well as both pieces Steve got. Clara and Marylou ate it but I didn't really stare at theirs. The haricot verts were delicious with the muffuletta vinaigrette, they were nice and crispy rather than mushy which I can't do.

Not the best I know, but this is the Cajun chicken thigh gumbo over the vegetarian dirty rice and it was fantastic. I tried the Bourbon bread pudding "beignet" also and enjoyed it. Again I don't eat fish but both Steve and Clara had no less than 3 bowls of the shrimp sautéed with Andouille sausage, tomato, okra and onions and they said they could eat it all night. Steve said the Voodoo sticky pig wings were great, too. We both wished we'd eaten more dinner food it was so good, but there was so much going on that we just didn't have time!

One more dessert pic and then On With The Show, I promise! Clara requested gluten-free desserts and a special plate was brought out to her. It included some pre-packaged cookies and brownies I believe are fairly standard at Disney as GF snacks and one of Cruella's panna cotta desserts. In addition there were 2 adorable jar desserts, one had Cruella on the lid and one had Maleficent

Both had a cake-like dessert in them that Clara said were really good. And she took the cool jars home!

So Ariane, was there more to this thing than just food and drink? YES! DJ Thibodeaux began spinning tunes right about 5:45, the time the "club" officially opened. Shortly afterward Dr. Facillier's club manager, Kanzo, took the stage to get things started!

He sort of looked like Dr. Facillier's younger, shorter brother. He was very entertaining, getting the crowd going and letting us know what was coming up next. He also did some singing and dancing all through the night, by himself, with the club dancers, and with the Shadow Man himself

The "club dancers" I mentioned were these not-so-ghoulish-gals, who also performed with Dr. Facillier

During the evening Dr. Facillier sang "Friends on the Other Side", "You Put a Spell on Me" and Kanzo sang, among other songs, "Driving Me Crazy".

Kanzo didn't meet guests and Dr. Facillier didn't have an actual M&G, but he was walking around periodically checking in with his villain guests. Whenever he did this he would stop and chat with some of us "regular folk", and we were able to snap quick pictures!

I didn't say we were able to snap GOOD pictures, as you can tell here in this shot of me with my strange wide eyes and weird grin. You may think I was trying to look this way because we were hanging with off-color characters, but no. That's my typical meeting-with-character look unfortunately, and I usually don't end up showing people pictures of me with characters! But for this special event I'll take one for the team..........

Finally our host with the most started introducing the women we'd been DYING to see, and they all came out with flair to a room full of cheers. After all 4 were on the floor they somewhat danced out there together for a bit as the club dancers danced and Kanzo and Dr. Facillier sang

That blurry child in the background looks scarier than the Queen! They were all moving pretty fast and I'm not the best photographer

Neat effect in the mirror, huh?

If she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will.......

Now look closely at this picture and see if you notice anything different about the Queen of Hearts:

A FACE CHARACTER!! If you've seen her before you know she usually has a big head on. I've met/seen her a few times at MNSSHP and in pictures and other TR's online and have never seen her as a face character. You could hear lots of "Oh wow"s and other positive comments from the crowd when she came out.

After they finished their entrance number they all went to their respective chairs and the meet and greets began. Before long it was 6:10 and time for us to meet the Evil Queen and Maleficent!

All 4 ladies were great about staying in character, Cruella and the Queen of Hearts more so in a playful way. Our tablemates were hysterical with the villains, much more uninhibited than I'm able to be! I can never think of smart and fun things to say. I did ok tonight but they were better! They were in front of us for the Evil Queen and as soon as Clara went up to her she kneeled down and kissed her ring. The Queen looked at all of us still in line and, without smiling, just shook her head like, "yes, my dear, you know what to do"!

As I said, the Queen of Hearts was playful while staying in character. We were seated close to her and whenever her line was empty either she'd wander over to tables or Steve would wander up to her, so by the time we saw her at 7:15 she recognized him, gave him this look and said, "Oh, it's YOU!"

I told her he always seems to be lurking somewhere. She said "Ooh, like a little field mouse. I squish field mice! and posed with him like this

Next it was my turn. We decided to show Steve we were strong women and together we'd squish any mousy men that got in our way (her words, not mine!)

Shortly before the night was over, the Queen had finished her M&G's and was bellowing that she was bored. Marylou went up to her and asked the Queen to show her the proper way to swing a golf club, so they proceeded to do this together for almost 10 minutes. Another cool thing I didn't think of!

Not overselling this event + scheduling meet times led to the villains not having to rush when you met them and them having down time in between the scheduled meets. It was really, really great all around.

Cruella asked me where my fur coat was. I told her I'd left my furs in NY because it's not supposed to be cold in Fla. (Creative, right?) She responded with, "Dahling, a girl should always have her furs!"

The ladies did need a break to powder their noses so 2 would leave at a time. While they were gone, all of us club goers were encouraged to try out their thrones for ourselves!

My favorite area was Cruella's, but the best effects were the Evil Queens mirror and Maleficent's smoke

If you sat all the way back in her chair the smoke would start up so you had to lean forward. The pp photographer - did I mention there were pp photographers with each villain- told me about leaning forward after I sat all the way back and the entire room including Steve disappeared.

When the women would come back from a break, Kanzo would re-introduce them and they'd do another short performance on the dance floor before returning to their chairs. Speaking of the dance floor, it took people awhile to get up and move to the music. After about 30-45 minutes of nobody over the age of 6 dancing, Kanzo made a half plea/half demand that we all dance. Within 10 minutes the floor was 3/4 of the way full and it stayed that way a good part of the night.

UP NEXT: A FIERY TREAT & THE END IS NEAR

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter