Vibe/Edge and a friend

wink13

Just a bit Goofy
Our son is bringing a friend on our next Diseny Cruise (Disney Dream in Feb 2013). He's very excited but I was wondering with the new policies on the kids club what they will do with them since one will be 14 and one 13 at the time of sailing. Will they allow them to choose either club or only the Edge?

Also, is there anything we need to do to travel with someone elses child?

Thanks

I would have a noterized letter stating that you have permission to take him and can seek medical attention for him while he's with you.

I believe that they are both in the age group for the Edge programming. I think the cut off for the club/lab is 12 yrs old.

squirrel said:
I would have a noterized letter stating that you have permission to take him and can seek medical attention for him while he's with you.

I believe that they are both in the age group for the Edge programming. I think the cut off for the club/lab is 12 yrs old.

Yes, I think they are too old for the club/lab. At 14 I believe you can choose between edge & vibe. But with one being 13 to stay together they will probably have to stay in edge.

They will be able to come & go as they please, no signing out.

wink13 said:
Our son is bringing a friend on our next Diseny Cruise (Disney Dream in Feb 2013). He's very excited but I was wondering with the new policies on the kids club what they will do with them since one will be 14 and one 13 at the time of sailing. Will they allow them to choose either club or only the Edge?

Also, is there anything we need to do to travel with someone elses child?

Thanks

Depending on how many months your sons friend is from 14. I got into the Vibe with being 4 months from 14. I also knew someone in the vibe so that also helped me get in at a younger age.
All though they did make me go the the Edge the first night but because I was one of the older ones in the Edge I felt very weird in there (just my opinion some of the other kids at the age of 13 liked the Edge)

Depending on how many months your sons friend is from 14. I got into the Vibe with being 4 months from 14. I also knew someone in the vibe so that also helped me get in at a younger age.
All though they did make me go the the Edge the first night but because I was one of the older ones in the Edge I felt very weird in there (just my opinion some of the other kids at the age of 13 liked the Edge)

Thanks for your response.

How long ago did you sail?

The 13yr old will be 3 months from 14th b-day and I know they are hoping to be able to go to the Vibe. He was at the Edge last year on our cruise and thought it was ok but would rather be at the Vibe.

wink13 said:
Thanks for your response.

How long ago did you sail?

The 13yr old will be 3 months from 14th b-day and I know they are hoping to be able to go to the Vibe. He was at the Edge last year on our cruise and thought it was ok but would rather be at the Vibe.

I sailed last year to Alaska and then I sailed this past summer and they were letting kids come up to the Vibe :)

Be really careful about letting younger kids move up to Vibe. Consider maturity level, etc. No matter how DCL sets up the age groups, the parents pushing the envelope consistently results in a "dumbing down" of each program and creates the cycle of more kids wanting to move up. However, some of what my DD experienced in the teen area is inappropriate for any teen based on our family values. She responded by leaving the area with some of the other kids.

As to cruising with a child who is not YOUR child--DCL has a form on their web site that must be signed by the parent. Anything you do beyond that is up to you. Do be sure that you address such issues as medical insurance, authorization to sign for medical treatment, etc. before you travel.

Be really careful about letting younger kids move up to Vibe. Consider maturity level, etc. No matter how DCL sets up the age groups, the parents pushing the envelope consistently results in a "dumbing down" of each program and creates the cycle of more kids wanting to move up. However, some of what my DD experienced in the teen area is inappropriate for any teen based on our family values. She responded by leaving the area with some of the other kids.

As to cruising with a child who is not YOUR child--DCL has a form on their web site that must be signed by the parent. Anything you do beyond that is up to you. Do be sure that you address such issues as medical insurance, authorization to sign for medical treatment, etc. before you travel.

Thanks for the information.

We just got off the Dream last week, traveling with another family. Both family kids are 13 and 10. The 13 yr olds were allowed into Vibe...and the 10 year olds were allowed into Edge...no problem. Just had to sign a quick waiver at the begining of the cruise. My biggest concern was having the older kids in there that might be less than friendly. But....there was never an issue, and the kids all had great times.

We just got off the Dream last week, traveling with another family. Both family kids are 13 and 10. The 13 yr olds were allowed into Vibe...and the 10 year olds were allowed into Edge...no problem. Just had to sign a quick waiver at the begining of the cruise. My biggest concern was having the older kids in there that might be less than friendly. But....there was never an issue, and the kids all had great times.

My son who is the 13 year old will be happy to hear that. This will be our 4th Disney Cruise and while his brother has been able to go to A loft and Vibe he's been waiting his turn.

If he can't go to the Vibe then we'll just have to go again after he turns 14. :thumbsup2

Can people just turning 14 as in a day or to go to Vibe without one of those sheets or is that not allowed I would be turn 14 two days after we go?

You never know because sometimes the rules are really strict and sometimes their really loose about the rules.

Apparently the only age rule they are very strict about all the time is that no one age 18 or older is permitted in Vibe. Going the other direction, they may let a 13 year old move up. The thing to do is visit both clubs with the kids and have the kids decide which one they would both rather be in. You can find out if it will be allowed on your cruise at the same time. Sometimes they may crack down on it, especially if the clubs are going to be crowded.

princessah0305 said:
Can people just turning 14 as in a day or to go to Vibe without one of those sheets or is that not allowed I would be turn 14 two days after we go?

Welcome to the Disboards princessah0305!!!

I would suggest that you speak with the counselors in the Edge on embarkation day since you will only be 13 for two days into your cruise. They may let you move up at the beginning of the cruise, but then again...they may also make you wait until the day you turn 14. My DD is in the same situation for our August cruise.

The normal rule has been that if you are within 30 days of the birthday, they will let you move up...but they can always make exceptions. Turning 14 on the third day of the cruise--they will let you start in the Vibe. They know kids make friends from the beginning. You'll just have to talk to the CM on the first day.

As to moving up a 13--depends on the cruise and the CMs involved as well as number of kids in each age group. My personal opinion--I wish they would stick to the established guidelines and quit making exceptions. That was supposedly the point of the overlap ages. When they allow 10s into an 11-14 program, all the 13s and 14s want to bail and move up....so they move the 13s to the 14-17 and the 17s just leave. We've seen it way too often. When The Stack was 13-17, they allowed 12s...and the teens reported that it was "full of babies." Then they made it 14-17 but still allow younger kids. Not good.

The normal rule has been that if you are within 30 days of the birthday, they will let you move up...but they can always make exceptions. Turning 14 on the third day of the cruise--they will let you start in the Vibe. They know kids make friends from the beginning. You'll just have to talk to the CM on the first day.

As to moving up a 13--depends on the cruise and the CMs involved as well as number of kids in each age group. My personal opinion--I wish they would stick to the established guidelines and quit making exceptions. That was supposedly the point of the overlap ages. When they allow 10s into an 11-14 program, all the 13s and 14s want to bail and move up....so they move the 13s to the 14-17 and the 17s just leave. We've seen it way too often. When The Stack was 13-17, they allowed 12s...and the teens reported that it was "full of babies." Then they made it 14-17 but still allow younger kids. Not good.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I totally agree with this.

:cutie:

My DD has been left with the expectation that she might be spending the first two night prior to the official birthday in the Edge and then move up on her actual birthday day. She has already decided that if she is unable to move up, that she will be spending a lot of time the first couple of days in the movie theater and the pool/Aquaduck.

I agree with this, too. My DD (13) does not want to go to Edge because she think there will be too many "little kids" there. I, on the other hand, don't want her at Vibe because I think there will be too many older kids. If there was a no exceptions policy, I'd have less of a fight on my hands. I'm hoping we'll tour both the first day and she'll magically like Edge better on her own :)

I agree with this, too. My DD (13) does not want to go to Edge because she think there will be too many "little kids" there. I, on the other hand, don't want her at Vibe because I think there will be too many older kids. If there was a no exceptions policy, I'd have less of a fight on my hands. I'm hoping we'll tour both the first day and she'll magically like Edge better on her own :)

Yes, totally agree with this as well. My dd is 12, turning 13 on our cruise. I want her in The Edge for 11-14 year olds. I will not ask to move her up to Vibe, simply because I don't want her with possibly 17 girls...and more importantly 17 year old boys, who could all be very close to 18! There's way too much of an age/maturity difference there.

I think the issue comes into play based on age level/grade level as well. My dd is 12 (turning 13 in early April) and in 7th grade. It has always been that so many of her classmates are older than her, they entered 7th grade already being 13 or turning 13 in early fall. They are 6-9 months older than her. It really made a difference in grades K-5, but seems to have leveled out now. I don't know if it's because we live in an area that has a lot of "transplants" from other parts of the US or what? There is also a term for when this is done purposefully known as "red-shirting", not just based on a Fall birthday. So, there may be a child who is of age, but is also a grade behind the rest of the kids in the Edge or Vibe. You could have a 14 year old who is finishing 7th grade, hanging out with kids from High School.

I know if my 7th grader is in The Edge, she won't be happy if 4th graders are in there too. She would want them to wait their turn, like she had to.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I totally agree with this.

I have two kids and completely agree with this. My 14 yo isn't sure he wants to go to the Vibe, but if they are letting 13 yos there that will leave him in the Edge with 10-12 yos. He would be in the right place for an 8th grader but the CMs making those exceptions screws it up for him.

I know if my 7th grader is in The Edge, she won't be happy if 4th graders are in there too. She would want them to wait their turn, like she had to.

AMEN!!! DD was not allowed into the Edge at 10 1/2. Now that she is 12 she doesn't think 10 yos should be there since those are "the rules".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter