Vibe/Edge and a friend

But then you have the kids like my daughter who were 13 when in high school (9th grade). She has a December birthday, and is always the youngest in her class.

She wouldn't have had much in common with an 11 year old 5th grader in the Edge.

I think there should be a cross-over year for Edge/Vibe so that the situation the OP has, with one 13 year old and one 14 year wanting to be in the same group could be accommodated. However, there really is a ton of things for kids to do outside the clubs too.

Nancy

But then you have the kids like my daughter who were 13 when in high school (9th grade). She has a December birthday, and is always the youngest in her class.

She wouldn't have had much in common with an 11 year old 5th grader in the Edge.

I think there should be a cross-over year for Edge/Vibe so that the situation the OP has, with one 13 year old and one 14 year wanting to be in the same group could be accommodated. However, there really is a ton of things for kids to do outside the clubs too.

Nancy

There is a cross-over age - 14. Edge: 11-14 years. Vibe: 14-17 years.

:cutie:

Nancy

I get what you are saying, but they did create a "crossover" year, and that is age 14. I was the youngest in my class by several months (skipped a grade), so I know how your daughter feels. Believe me, I get it!

That said, I too agree with the others that DCL needs to establish and STICK TO their own rules. My just turned 12 year old daughter is physically and intellectually mature for her age, but she is also in the 6th grade in elementary school, and I really prefer that she not even hang with middle schoolers at this point in time if I could avoid it (the longer I can delay interest in boys, makeup, etc, the better!) There is no way I would want her feeling like she needed to go to Vibe as a 13 year old and hang out with high schoolers next year, all because the 13 year olds were being allowed to (and sometimes, according to reports on these boards, encouraged) to abandon Edge.

There are crossovers in all the programs.

Club/Lab 3-12
Edge 11-14
Vibe 14-17

SO...11/12s can choose Lab or Edge.
14s can choose Edge or Vibe.

I was also a young one--was in college at 17. Yes, there were a few times it mattered, but most of the time it really didn't. I couldn't drive till I was a senior in high school, couldn't get a "real" job despite being out of high school, etc. I do appreciate where your daughter is coming from, but I honestly think the overlap year is placed where it belongs.

The teen program was adjusted to 14-17 primarily due to parent feedback. The overlap year(s) provide for increased guest flexibility. But those pesky exceptions don't serve anyone and irritate those kids who were told that they couldn't move up (years ago when they stuck to the rules a bit more!)

Exactly. The teen club use to be 13-18. Parents complained that they didn't want their 13 yos in with 17 & 18 yos, so DCL created the Edge for tweens.

Your district may have a late age cutoff for school, but others start 9/1. My DD was 11 starting 7th grade this year due to our 10/15 cutoff.

My daughter has been going to the kids clubs since 5yrs old. She is now 16y.
She also believes that DCL should stick with their transition ages, especially for Vibe. On the DVC member cruise last week,she stated that 13yr olds were allowed into Vibe, which is the first she had experienced this in the last 6 cruises we've done with her. She said that half of the 13y were so immature it was embarrassing and annoying to the older teenagers in there. One of the 13yr old was smashing balls into the faces of the other kids in there and had to be "put in his place" by an older teen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter