Very difficult decision!

Hi, I am not sure if you realize that you can use DVC points to stay at the Disneyland Hotel and at The Paradise Pier ?? We have stayed at both on points because by the time we decided to go to California it was too late to book The Grand Californian with DVC points, We did visit and have dinner there and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Downtown Disney is also MUCH different in California.Many great restaurants and actual stores (not just all disney themed) IMHO your girls are a great age to take to Disneyland (LOVE their Fantasyland!!)Just thinking you may want to really look into DL and DCA (Carsland!!) We also did a beach day while in California. (Malibu) and got to see some of the coast. I know that you are leaning toward a cruise and I am not sure of the weather at the time you are going because both times we went during the Summer but just thought I would offer my 2 cents :). Joan

I don't know if this is the proper section of the boards to post on but I thought that it might be the best for the most varied opinions. My family and I are regular WDW visitors, but I have a new school job that only allows me to take vaca's (like most schools) on school vacation times.

After this April ONLY school break vaca's.
*NO summer vacations because of my and my DH summer jobs don't allow
*We don't want to attempt to be there for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

I'm confused. You can only take vacations during school holidays but there are NONE during summer? When are the school holidays then?

Once we went during Spring Break /Easter Week. Seriously HIGH season. However, it turned out to be great! It is the only time we have ever been there that they opened MK at 7:00 several days that week. We were there at 6:45 those days and had the most magical mornings for a few hours with hardly anyone around.

I just wanted to say hi to my fellow Mainers. :wave2:

And I wanted to put in a word for the cruise. Although we have never been on DCL, we've sailed on Royal Caribbean's Liberty and Freedom (the next ships down form the Oasis class ships) and both cruises were wonderful vacations. (We considered DCL, but, for our family, with tween boys, the much higher price for the "Disney" experience was not worth it. Nobody regrets that decision.) Both WDW and cruises are great vacations. The cruise is much more relaxing for the adults, in general, because it is a cruise, and also because of the kids clubs, which we great, and which give you time alone. So one factor you might consider is whether you want a more "relaxing" vacation or a more "go go go" one.

You have a host of wonderful options and anything you choose will be a lot warmer than Maine! Good luck!

I'm confused. You can only take vacations during school holidays but there are NONE during summer? When are the school holidays then?

Once we went during Spring Break /Easter Week. Seriously HIGH season. However, it turned out to be great! It is the only time we have ever been there that they opened MK at 7:00 several days that week. We were there at 6:45 those days and had the most magical mornings for a few hours with hardly anyone around.

I work two jobs....I teach in the winter (school year Aug-June actually) and Manage a restaurant year round as well, but during the summer I practically live there. It's a restaurant, on a golf course and we have a full bar/dance area so some days I work 8 am to 3 am depends on the event...we do weddings, benefits, golf tournaments, etc. My DH works for Maine Department of Transportation year round but his busy season is during the summer months and travels all over new england and parts of canada for his job. Therefore both of our "summer" jobs don't allow us to take time off because we are simply too busy. Neither one of us has a set schedule, weekends off, and since our summers are so short here we have to cram tons of events into those few months for work.

I hope that clears things up :) :thumbsup2

I just wanted to say hi to my fellow Mainers. :wave2:

You have a host of wonderful options and anything you choose will be a lot warmer than Maine! Good luck!

OMG isn't that the truth! It's been so brutally cold here...I don't know where you are from in the state but we live in Northern Maine...28 miles from the Canadian border in Houlton. So we've been pummeled with snow, and wind and freezing temps lately.

These choices are all great and it definately seems like a silly problem to have but just can't quite decide on one. I am LOVING all the different opinions and thoughts on all of them since we haven't been on any of the three we are making lists of all the pros and cons for all choices.

I like the idea of a cruise because the kids can do so much independently, then again I would probably be a nervous wreck on a big ship not having my kiddos near by. :confused3

I hope that clears things up :) :thumbsup2

Does clear things up. Maybe it would be better to tell us the dates you Could go. Then we can give better answers. Maybe you did and I missed it.

If you really want to relax, the cruise is great. We have gone on a few and it is nice to not have to make so many decisions and race around. However, on the last week long cruise, we really missed the excitement and activity of the parks. Maybe this is because we were on the Mexican riviera trip that time. Great weather but not great ports. I LOVED our double dip CC cruise.

Even though the characters are around and there are Disney shows, etc, the cruise is really totally different from the parks and in my opinion, will not satisfy a craving to visit WDW, so decide which is the objective first.

I would like to try Aulani. I has not gotten very good reviews though...

Does clear things up. Maybe it would be better to tell us the dates you Could go. Then we can give better answers. Maybe you did and I missed it.

No problem! I did post in my OP that we were looking at Feb break 2014 and the exact dates on a different page later but understand that sometimes these threads can get a bit confusing.

We requested a quote from Dreams Unlimited because they advertised a 399 price pp for this coming August if you use code DRM. Well the returned quote for 4 was 3100....exactly the same as it was on the DCL website without the special code. I emailed back and asked why and she said that it WAS the deal they were advertising and it included a 100.00 on board credit. Seems like even if it was 499 per person (what they advertised for a price with a veranda) it would be closer to 2000 instead of 3100. That really makes me wonder how they can advertise those prices??? :confused3

Maybe I am missing something....has anyone ever used Dreams Unlimited or are there a crazy amount of taxes and fees I am missing? I know there are some...but is there something I am missing? Thanks. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter